Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ That Which Remains Unspoken ❯ Chapter X ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

That Which Remains Unspoken:

Chapter 10

The warm air flowed by him in a never-ending rush and his feet pounded out a rhythm to match his racing heartbeat. Black cloak whirling out behind him, Hiei raced through the city, noticed by no one; for in his haste, the little fire demon almost fan faster then time itself. One thought, and one thought only was present in his mind. Kurama. He must go to Kurama.

Upon hearing what the orange-haired oaf had said, his stomach had jumped up into his throat and almost choked him. Kurama, his Kurama, was hurt and in pain…and all because of that bastard Yusuke. Kurama has liked him, no loved him and it made Hiei's shattered heart twinge anew to think over these things. Kurama had given himself to Yusuke in the only way he knew how, fully and with no restraints. He had bared his heart, his soul, his very being to the younger boy, and had them thrown back in his face at the first sign of change. Kurama didn't need someone like that, he needed someone who would stay with him, someone who would love him during sunshine and rain, someone who would care for him and support him in all that he did.

Urgency flowed through his veins even stronger now, pumping to his legs and his brain, almost blinding his sharply honed reflexes as he flew down the streets. Adrenaline sang in his blood, rang in his ears, and swirled in his soul. Every step that he took brought him closer to his beloved, every time another foot of pavement passed his breathing sped up and his blood pounded even faster behind his eyes. The afternoon sun shone around him and stained his hair and eyelashes gold; it seemed as if the sunrays had liquefied themselves, pouring down his slight frame and pooling on the ground all around him. People passing by him caught flashes of gold and black at the corners of their eyes, and were startled to find, when the turned to look, that nothing was there. Breezes blew past them in a sultry rush, bringing to their noses the remnants of summer and the sickly sweet scents of the Makai.

Kurama's house loomed up sharply in his line of sight and he slowed immediately to an almost walk. His heart continued to race and pound in his chest, and his stomach flipped over and over in time to the ceaseless drumming. Walking quickly, he went directly up to the door and knocked loudly, only wondering afterwards why he had done so. Doors has never stopped him before, usually he climbed the tree outside Kurama's window and went right on in. The door swung silently inward, and Kurama's mother's face appeared. "May I help you?" she asked, a slightly quizzical look in her eyes.

Hiei cleared his throat, not used to such politeness. "I-I'm here to see Kur-Shuuichi," he said, a tad less roughness in his normally gruff voice. "Oh," she said, her pretty face wrinkling in a worried frown. "I was hoping one of Shuuichi's friends would show up soon. He's been terribly upset lately and has hid up in his room for quite some time." Hiei nodded his silent thanks to her and proceeded up the stairs, following the familiar presence of Kurama's Spirit Energy.

His mother stood below and watched him go, then went back into the kitchen where she had been fixing dinner before Hiei had shown up. Trembling, the fiery demon ascended the last step, his light footsteps muffled even more by the soft carpet covering the hallway. He licked his suddenly dry lips and walked over to the door he knew would lead him to Kurama. He ran an agitated hand through his spiky, chaotic hair and reached out a shaking hand. Grabbing the doorknob, he twisted it gently and slowly opened the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grumbling and huffing to himself, Kuwabara gingerly reached out his foot and, taking a deep breath, dropped to the branch below. He slipped and with a loud cry of surprise fell several more feet down before finally latching onto another branch and stopping his sudden fall. Breathing heavily, he crouched there, shivering for many long minutes until he mustered up his courage and looked down once more. The ground was still a long way down.

Groaning he leaned back against the trunk of Hiei's tree, then exhaled sharply. He closed his eyes, then opened them again quickly when he heard an angry squawk right next to his ear. Looking over fearfully, he found himself face to face with an obviously very angry bird. The bird cawed again, louder this time and snapped at the boy's nose with its sharp beak. Yelling and jumping up as fast as he could, Kuwabara backed away slowly. The bird followed.

Gulping, he grabbed another branch with one hand and let his Spirit Sword crackle to life in the other. A bead of sweat ran down his face and he mumbled fiercely to himself. Things were not looking good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kurama looked up as he heard the quiet creaking of his door opening. His puffy red eyes were dull and his hands lay limply on the bed beside him. Not really interested in who it was coming to see him, he turned his head back to its place on the pillow and watched the tree branches swaying outside his window. Cat-like, a silent black shadow shut his door and approached him softly. Squatting down beside the bed, right in front of Kurama's face, Hiei looked directly into the startled boy's eyes.

"Hiei!" the kitsune breathed softly, the name turning to an endearment on his tongue. Hiei, not knowing what to say, only nodded. Kurama reached out one quavering hand and gently touched the side of the smaller demon's face. "You-you came…" he trailed off, shame and guilt mixing in his eyes.

Hiei, catching the change in his love's eyes, quickly reached up and held the hand on his face tightly, keeping it in place. "Of course I came!" he exclaimed, shifting to a kneeling position. "I'll always come for you Kurama." At those words, Kurama's grief and shame welled up within him to unbearable levels, and he knew he did not deserve his fiery friend. Sobbing, he turned away and buried his face once again in the soft recesses of his pillow. Making quiet, soothing noises, Hiei reached out and stroked Kurama's long red hair, brushing it back from his pale neck and ear.

Fascinated by the play of light on the fox's skin he gently caressed it and skated his nails over it. Shuddering, Kurama looked up and his tearstained gaze met Hiei's once more. "Hiei, I'm so sorry! I didn't know! I didn't mean to do this to you, to hurt you" Hiei took his hand from Kurama's and put a finger over the fox boy's mouth, stopping his almost frantic talk. "I love you."

And at those words, Kurama knew he was forgiven. His heart swelled in his chest and the shame in his eyes was replaced with a shining love, flaring out like a beacon for the world to see. He kissed the tip of Hiei's finger as it rested upon his lips and the little fire demon sighed in happiness. "Hiei…I love you too."

With that heartfelt confession, Hiei's splintered heart slowly gathered up its pieces and began to regenerate itself. His eyes stung with emotion as he gazed at his beautiful, newfound lover. Leaning forward, he placed his small mouth on Kurama's soft lips and found the love he felt, returned a thousand-fold in that one simple kiss. Sliding his hands up, he buried them in the masses of Kurama's hair and held on as if for dear life. Chuckling, Kurama slid his own hands down to the little demon's waist and hoisted him up, laying him stretched out full on top of his willowy form.

Hiei broke their kiss of and gazed into Kurama's depthless green eyes, both their stares drunk with love. And it was at that moment, Kurama knew what he had seen in Hiei's eyes those many days past. He knew now what it was that had pained his love so much that he had not mentioned it for fear of rejection. It was love. Pure, unbounded love, and it had obviously been enough to bring his friend back to him.

Burying his face in Hiei's neck, Kurama breathed, "I don't deserve you." Pulling back, Hiei caressed Kurama's cheek with one small hand and gaze him a loving look. "Maybe you do…and maybe you don't, fox. What matters is now, and now I want you to know that I love you, and I always will no matter what you do. You're MY fox…and your mine for good." And a possessive light kindled in Hiei's ruby eyes, casting a passionate light down onto the kistune boy.

Laughing and crying all at once, Kurama drew Hiei down onto his once again in a fierce hug and threw back his head in pleasure when the smaller demon gave into his earlier desire and began licking and nibbling at his neck. An overwhelming happiness flodded his senses and he knew in that moment that this was where he belonged. With Hiei. His fire demon, his friend,…and his love.