Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Guarding of Chaos ❯ Names and Life ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I'm BAAAACKKK! Story's starting to get a plot! Yay! Well, read on….
 
`Blah'=Thoughts
 
“..”= talking
 
\\...\\= Hikari speaking to Hiei
 
//…//=Hiei speaking to Hikari
 
{….}= thoughts heard by the other person by accident
 
Names and Life
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hikari ran, and ran fast, but she was in New York, how was she to find anything? It wasn't going to stop her. Now if only she could remember….Oh why couldn't she remember? Her cousin had college in New York, if she remembered where it was, could she get there? If she could remember the name, she could ask a police officer, tell them what happened, and hopefully end up near family.
 
She stopped. What was the use? She wouldn't find her cousin's college. She had no money, she was freezing, and would anyone believe her if she told them she had been taken by the East River Killer? She started crying, and all the while Hiei watched this, from down the block, right now, he was useless. He couldn't help; he knew nothing of...New...York? That was right wasn't it? How could he get her somewhere safe? What if someone else, deranged as before, tried to get her? If he saved her again, she would want answers, and he wasn't one to give them.
 
Hikari looked up, quiet resolve in her eyes. She had finally remembered the name of the college. Now if she could just get there…Hold on…Yes! Those are the police! I can ask them to help...right? Oh throw caution to the winds, girl! I'm coming Alicia! She ran towards the police and shyly asked them to stop, once they did though not yet in their car, Hikari couldn't stop and blurted it out. It took them a bit to believe it, of course they had heard of the East River Killer, he dumped his victims bodied in New York, but finding one kidnapped victim alive, and for the most part well…that was amazing!
 
Soon though, Hikari was waiting in the Dean's office of her cousin's college, her luck that the girl had been unable to go back yet and was stuck temporarily in New York. Alicia opened the door.
 
“Yes...” she stopped. Her eyes widened. Hikari stood there in a borrowed jacket and barely concealed joy in her face as she shakily smiled. Not another word escaped anyone's lips as Alicia laughed, and so did Hikari as they rushed to each other and held on tight. Hiei watched the reunion with his jagan not far away, unsure why he felt …happy… that she was okay.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Hikari's days after that were great. Her family was all at her home, when she and her cousin had caught a plane home. They smiled, and hugged her, and told her what she'd missed. All the family that lived in Spirit Lake or the near by town of Rice Lake stayed at her home, her grandmother starting it by refusing to leave her `survivor' granddaughter alone. They all knew who had taken Hikari, and she was the only one to escape the East River Killer's grasp. She had told all she knew to the police in New York and again back in Spirit Lake but they hadn't found him. But that didn't mater now. Hikari was so happy, but as she slept, or when she walked into an empty room in her home, she would feel as though some one was there, but she couldn't find anyone…..
 
“Hikari, quit daydreaming and get over here!” yelled Jennifer. It was two weeks later, and she was back in school, where people were hard pressed to believe she had actually been kidnapped, but that's what teenagers are like, some believed too much and were overwhelming, and others didn't believe and picked on her. She was just glad to be alive. Though she wished she wasn't in gym class right now.
 
“Right, I'm coming,” she whispered absentmindedly. Why?...Why volley ball? Of all sports, why that one? // Incoming to your right// Hikari whipped around and SMACK got hit straight in the face with a volley ball. People laughed
 
“W-who said that? Who told me that was coming?” she asked hesitantly. She was almost sure the person who had, was the same who threw it, and that it was probably deliberate.
 
“Ummm, Hikari? No one has said anything. You just suddenly turned and got smacked by that ball,” Jennifer whispered into her ear. Hikari looked around. Someone told me that was coming…I'm sure of it.
 
Hiei sighed from where he stood on top of the bleacher in the gym, having nothing better to do then basically stalk the person he was guarding. He had told her of several incoming volley balls, but the last statement had so far been the only one she had heard. Really why in the three world did I come here? I could've gotten passed Koenma
I'm faster then him. I could've escaped into the portal and been gone. Why didn't I do that?!
 
//Behind you!// Hiei warned again. She was hit again, but had tried to move, proving she had heard him again. Now if she'd just move fast enough…But now that he thought about it, it made sense she wouldn't respond to his warnings, after all, it was new to her as it was new to him. It was at the top of his list of strange things that had happened in the USA since he had arrived either in New York, or in Spirit Lake. One, he could suddenly understand English, second, he suddenly could read English, and if he wondered what something was…well all of a sudden a memory or something would flash in his mind, and he'd know what it was, but it was Hikari's memory.
 
//DUCK!!// Finally, she listened and avoided the volley ball by doing just that, she ducked. It hit a class mate instead. Of course the kid who threw it apologised to the one boy he'd hit, and wouldn't of if it had hit Hikari. She was really pathetic; Hikari needed constant looking out for. The kids were leaving, that meant……
 
Hikari's class moved in on her, no one stopped them. Heck, they joined in! She couldn't see Jennifer anywhere. Hikari braced herself against the wall, waiting for the first ball and then the rest. They didn't come.
 
“Come on people! Hurry up if you want to get to class on time!” her gym teacher, Miss Richardson, yelled to the people. Hikari thanked the heavens. She really didn't feel like bruises so soon after starting school again. Really, why was she the target? Always her, heck they had other people in the class to harass, but no, only her. She hated it. Well, at least gym class was the second to last one of the day. All she had left was her band practice. She liked the band it was made up of 7th and 8th graders in her middle school, and next year she'd be in the high school with their band. And this summer was marching, she couldn't wait, not that she was a good player. She just had a lot of free time to practice her instrument, a flute player she was.
 
She got a ride home that day from her aunt. She was happy she wasn't going to be forced onto a bus; she hated those contraptions for personal reasons. And all the while her day ended, Hiei watched her and listened when the band played. Watching Hikari's finger's fly over the keys of her flute. He had to wonder why she needed protection. Human delinquents weren't really a concern of the Reikai, unless of course they had something to do with Yusuke.
 
Hikari got home and plopped herself down on the couch.
 
“Hikari? Honey, we have to leave. Please be good,” her parents yelled to her. Hikari watched in disbelief from the couch. Her parents were leaving? Why hadn't they picked her up? Why had her aunt if they were here? Sure, they are just going to leave and I'm just going to be here alone. Yay! Big, giant, spooky house to myself just after my kidnapping! Hikari picked at some of her clothing sitting there. She certainly didn't feel like starting her home work right then.
 
Hiei watched her from…well wherever he was. She had entered the house and the next thing his knew, he didn't recognise his surroundings. There was a giant Sakura tree fifty feet from him. There was a temple to the south, mountains with a volcano to the north, a water fall to the east with a river that jutted out to the lake to the west that had a forest surrounding it. Where the hell am I?! Hiei thought. It was confusing and at the moment he had wondered where Hikari was, a screen like projection had appeared, and Hiei could suddenly see Hikari. It was just strange. He watched her pick at her clothes in boredom as she fell asleep. A twig snapped.
 
“You! Who are you and what business do you have here?” something shouted at him. He turned and this ugly little creature tried to poke him with this spear like thing. Hiei just stared at it. Trying to figure this out. It really made no sense now. He took a step, ignoring the ugly little thing.
 
“Stop, do not take another step. You are not welcome here.” The voice was clear and official like. More ugly little things appeared in front of Hiei. `What the hell are they? I can't get anything from them. This is way too strange.' Hiei prepared to attack these ugly things. Another commanding voice rang out.
 
“Leave him alone. What has he done to be punished?” Between the rows of things came a young girl. `Wait it can't be. It's the girl, but she's there! `Hiei thought as he looked through the screen. There was Hikari, still there, still asleep.
 
Hikari looked at him and cocked her head. She stared at him like he was a painting to be judged. It made Hiei suddenly nervous. Hikari looked at him with so much interest. She looked at his spiky black hair that stood up like a flame, her eyes roved over the star burst, and looked at his toned and honed fighter's body. Hiei was becoming self conscious; he'd never been under this much scrutiny before. Hikari took in what he was wearing too, for it wasn't his normal tank top, black pants and black cloak. It was a pair of black jeans, an ice blue t-shirt, and a pair of fingerless gloves, though his right arm was still bandaged covering the Black Dragon Wave.
 
Hiei looked suddenly down at what he was wearing, and he was just as surprised as Hikari. He looked up at her, and for the first time, really noticed what she looked like. Her hair cut by her kidnapper was growing back; it was shoulder length, golden brown. She had green eyes, and while he'd heard her description, he had to disagree. Her eyes weren't emerald green, they were a blue green. She was his height, exactly. She was thin as well. This is confusing... Hiei thought.
 
`Why does he seem surprised? Ok, now he seems confused. Does he know where he is?'
 
“I'm sorry I can't really tell you where you are; you see I'm not that sure myself. I'm also confused as to how you got here. Come with me, alright?” Hikari asked. She motioned for Hiei to follow her. When he didn't, she grabbed his hand and dragged him to the temple, which looked a whole lot farther away then it really was.
 
Inside, she turned to him again and just watched him. Hiei suddenly fidgeted.
 
“Hey what's your name?” she suddenly asked.
 
Should I? Will she even remember this, or am I being tricked. Yeah, that would be my luck right now. Suddenly Hiei remember something.
 
!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
“Now Hiei, are you listening?” Koenma yelled at him. He really hadn't been, but he wasn't going to tell the Reikai Prince that.
 
“Hn,”
 
“Right, well, just a few ground rules. Do not tell her your name. It could have repercussions, don't tell her anything about you, and try not to even be found out or seen.”
 
“Hn, sure,”
 
“Well, have fun in America,” Hiei's eyes widened, but the next second he was gone.
 
!!!!!!!!!!
 
Hiei looked at her. He shouldn't tell her. Yes, he wouldn't tell her.
 
“Well, do I get an answer?” she asked.
 
“Hn,” Hikari stared at him.
 
“Umm, what? I asked what your name was,”
 
“Hn,”
 
“Do you say anything else? Cause that's getting annoying,” Hikari muttered angrily. Hiei blinked. Well, that hadn't been the expected reaction. I could tell her. What could it hurt? Oh right, me! Stupid ground rules, damn Koenma. I don't care.
 
“Name's Hiei,” he whispered.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~
 
….Well here it is. Another chapter (for some reading this it will be a revised chapter) Thank you for reading, and R&R!....I need to know what you think, no matter what, cause like I said, flames will heat this basement……..(one more to revise)….Well, Ja ne!