Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Kaleidoscope Syndrome ❯ Warning ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
The Kaleidoscope Syndrome
 
Part VIII
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
By the time everything was said and done, Hiei was more than mad. In fact, the small youkai was downright pissed off. And it annoyed him even more in having to use such a human term to describe his emotions. When Yusuke had greeted him and Kurama with his Rei-Gun, he was too shocked to react. Fear and confusion reigned over Hiei's mind for those quick milliseconds as he tried to come up with some reasonable excuse for Yusuke's betrayal.
 
And then the infuriating latter lowered his attack and burst out laughing right then and there.
 
Needless to say it didn't take too long for Hiei to put one and one together. Yusuke's taunting laughter and gasps of disbelief had almost convinced him to murder the “infamous Urameshi” right then and there. Kurama had been more tolerable of the act. He had chuckled along lightly, though there was still an unspoken relief in his eyes as he did this. Yusuke patted him on the back genially.
 
“You didn't think I would actually kill you, right? I'm cursed—not possessed,” he remarked amusedly, still snorting in between his words.
 
It was during this time that Hiei finally had enough of standing around and stalked up to the taller youkai before launching a surprising punch to the latter's face, thoroughly knocking him out. Yusuke flew back into the wall with a crash and the rest of the sand youkai who were watching began laughing. Kurama looked onwards with a mixed expression of concern and amusement. Hiei clenched his fist tightly.
 
“He had it coming,” he commented, his temper now returning back to normal.
 
Yusuke remained unconscious for an hour. When he awoke, though, he was still grinning. Hiei and Kurama had become well acquainted with the sand youkai, whom they discovered had just been playing along with Yusuke and never really meant any harm to them. The sand youkai had then set up a special hut for them and Kurama thanked them graciously.
 
“Did I have you all worried?” queried Yusuke when the sand youkai left them alone.
 
Kurama's eyes flashed at him. “That was a rather nasty joke, Yusuke,” he replied.
 
Yusuke promptly began laughing again. “I couldn't help it!” he exclaimed before shooting Hiei a glare. “And you! You didn't need to knock me out! That's overkill don't you think? My head's messed up as it is!”
 
Hiei remained at his post, arms crossed and a disgruntled expression on his face. Yusuke pouted and pointed an accusing finger at him while looking at Kurama favorably. “Right? Squirt didn't have to hit that hard,” he said.
 
Squirt?!
 
And for the second time that day Hiei felt like murdering Yusuke.
 
“It's a great nickname for you, Hiei! I mean it's better than `Chibi', right?”
 
At this point even Kurama couldn't hold in his laughter anymore. Hiei was scandalized. The fiery youkai merely stared at Yusuke for a long moment, too irritable to even speak, before finally walking out the hut with an icy air around him. Yusuke stifled his laughter and clapped his knee once Hiei was out of hearing distance.
 
“Did you see his face? Oh man, I think I really pushed him over the edge this time!” exclaimed Yusuke as he shook his head.
 
Kurama offered him a smile. “You think it's wise to tease him like this, though?” he inquired lightly.
 
Yusuke tossed back his hair with a careless shrug. “Please. He knows I'm just joking around,” he replied.
 
“It was a bit scary, though. Well, more so shocking. For a moment I really had to consider killing you to survive—something I never thought I would have to do,” commented Kurama quietly. He looked at Yusuke seriously. “I can laugh at it now, but it's more out of relief than anything.”
 
Yusuke looked surprised for a moment before smiling sheepishly. “Gee, I guess I never considered it from that point of view. No wonder Hiei was so mad,” he remarked before shooting Kurama a sugary look. “I'm soooooorry. I'll promise not to do that again!”
 
The silver-haired kitsune laughed. “That tone does not suit you, Yusuke,” he chuckled.
 
Yusuke gave a mock scowl. “Man, no appreciation anymore. You try to be nice and people just think I'm joking. What's the point?” he muttered to himself.
 
“These youkai, however… Are they your friends? You seem to be on rather familiar terms with them.”
 
Yusuke looked at Kurama proudly. “Of course they are! They're the youkai I met the last time I was here. Great, aren't they?” he replied, grinning happily.
 
Kurama nodded slowly, gesturing outside. “They have quite the network,” he remarked curiously.
 
“Well, they're sand diggers. You might be surprised, but they're really not as strong as they seem. They do, however, have killer grips. The first time I sparred against one of them I made the mistake of letting them grab me—worst mistake I ever made in a fight. Once they have a hold on you, they'll never let go. But other than that they're vulnerable to the heat outside, which is why they stay underground for the better part of the day.”
 
“Why don't they live somewhere else where it's always cold then?” inquired Kurama.
 
Yusuke shrugged. “They like it here. These tunnels have been with them for over a millennium. And there are barely any enemy youkai here for them to fear,” he answered.
 
“What do they eat?”
 
A wry look was shoot in Kurama's direction. “Beats me. Demonic insects? To be quite frank, I never asked. I just ate whatever they gave me,” he replied.
 
Kurama arched an eyebrow but didn't say anything else. They both sat quietly for a while until Yusuke finally budged from his seat with a loud yawn.
 
“When do you think Hiei's coming back?” he asked.
 
Kurama smirked slightly, his golden eyes glinting in the dim light from the candles. “Hiei can hold a grudge for a while,” he commented airily. “Perhaps you should look for him.”
 
Yusuke frowned. “Why do I not like that tone of yours, Youko?” he asked suspiciously.
 
The kitsune gave an innocent laugh. “It's your imagination, Yusuke,” he assured.
 
“Hmm…should I really be trusting the notorious thief of the Makai?” inquired Yusuke rhetorically. Kurama smiled and watched as the youkai stretched his back, running a hand through his now unruly hair. Pulling the strands out of its ponytail, Yusuke flinched as he combed through the knots. “You know this hair can be a real bitch after waking up. I never did know how you could handle it.”
 
Kurama walked over and caught Yusuke's hand as it began its descent to make another attack to detangle the uncooperative hair. He then went with his own hands to run them slowly through the white strands, smoothly unknotting them free of its tangles. Yusuke leaned back comfortably and eyed Kurama appreciatively.
 
“I guess you of all people should know how to deal with long hair,” he remarked amusedly.
 
Kurama smiled. “Yes, but my hair usually tends to be quite obedient,” he replied, now tying Yusuke's hair back into its loose ponytail.
 
Yusuke shot the silver-haired youkai a glare. “Are you taunting me?” he prompted.
 
“Of course not,” answered Kurama brightly.
 
The two remained quiet in companionable silence for a moment before Yusuke finally stood up, rotating his arm in circles. “I'm restless. Care to spar?” he announced.
 
Kurama raised an eyebrow. “You want me to spar with you?” he repeated faintly.
 
“What? You aren't afraid of losing are you, Kurama?” teased Yusuke.
 
The kitsune narrowed his eyes. “Losing is the least of my concerns, Yusuke. But you shouldn't be straining yourself now,” he said.
 
Yusuke looked at him in amazement. “Straining myself? Since when did fighting become a strain? I love it!” he remarked incredulously.
 
Kurama stood up. “We don't know when another attack might come. I just don't think you should be exerting yourself unnecessarily,” he pointed out quietly.
 
There was a sort of worry in Kurama's tone that made Yusuke stop. Normally he would have plowed on straight ahead but with Kurama it was always different. With Hiei he could safely do some damage to the youkai's pride to get his wants, but it was always a losing battle when it came to Kurama. Yusuke's enthusiasm crumpled to the ground as he gazed at the kitsune's expression. All at once Yusuke cursed himself for having grown so soft in recent years. He also cursed his own situation. Old magic in the Makai was rare and nearly nonexistent. Yusuke himself had only managed to acquire an intermediate knowledge of the art before his master passed away. This was fifty years ago. Since then Yusuke had traveled through the Makai in hopes of finding other magic users. It was hopeless search, though.
 
And now it seemed one of those that he had been searching for decided to curse him. The irony escaped Yusuke's mind as he could only think to himself what he could have possibly done to gain such an enemy.
 
“I'm going for a walk,” announced Yusuke formally. Kurama eyed him warily. Yusuke cast off his concerns with a small wave of his hand. “I'm not going to do anything strenuous, okay? I just need some time to clear my thoughts.”
 
Kurama finally succumbed to Yusuke's request and nodded slowly. “You'll probably meet up with Hiei somewhere along the way,” he commented.
 
Yusuke groaned. “Let's just hope he's out of his violent mood,” he said before leaving the hut.
 
The chilling air greeted him immediately and Yusuke blinked. He had forgotten for a moment that he was underground and that there was no moon to greet him. All was darkness except for a few lit torches by the huts the sand youkai inhabited. Other than that everything was still. Yusuke looked beyond the dark tunnels and columns of entryways that towered above him. This indeed was a geographical wonder. In the Ningenkai a place like this would attract attention like none other.
 
Yusuke smiled slightly and pushed his hands into his pockets. The sand youkai had insisted on adorning him in new clothes after his old attire had been ripped and stained by the brutal forces of nature. Yusuke could do nothing but allow them. Now his clothes consisted of deep emerald shades with a black sash. It reminded him of his old school uniform. The clothes were rather traditional, though, much like Kurama's. However, there were minor differences. On his feet he donned, not simple walking shoes, but black boots made out of a tough, leathery material. Yusuke gazed down at himself and wondered faintly. The sand youkai didn't have too bad of a fashion sense.
 
A small chuckle escaped his lips as Yusuke imagined how Kuwabara would react if he knew his friend was thinking about clothes.
 
“Still laughing?”
 
Looking up in surprise, Yusuke caught glimpse of Hiei resting atop one of the ledges far above him. He tilted his head to the side. “No, I was thinking of something different,” he replied cheerfully.
 
Hiei let out a grunt and Yusuke smiled.
 
“Are you sure these youkai can be trusted?”
 
Yusuke frowned deeply. “Yes,” he said firmly.
 
“You really are naïve,” remarked Hiei dryly.
 
“Are we really going to start arguing again?” inquired Yusuke sharply.
 
Hiei turned icy eyes on Yusuke before leaping down gracefully to land in front of the taller youkai. He had his katana in hand and raised it towards Yusuke warningly. “I don't think you should let your guard down so easily,” he advised in a clipped tone.
 
The fiery youkai's attitude mystified Yusuke. He had not seen Hiei behave this indifferently to him since the first time they met. It made him wonder if there was something he was missing. Yusuke narrowed his eyes. The sand youkai were trustworthy. They would never betray him. Why then was Hiei so cautious? Even Kurama had shown some suspicion of their purpose.
 
“Are you just mad because they fooled you? You know they were acting on my request,” pointed out Yusuke curiously.
 
Hiei's eyes flashed. “That's besides the point,” he replied coldly.
 
“Gee, then I have no idea why you're so worried. I know I'm still kind of new to this whole youkai thing, but I've been traveling around the Makai a lot—even more than you and Kurama in fact. Trust my judgment for once, will you?”
 
There was blatant sincerity in Yusuke's tone that swayed Hiei's will. The shorter youkai stared at the figure before him with some wryness. Yusuke never failed to stump his reasoning. It was a talent he mastered long before even realizing he had it. Hiei lowered his katana and gave a dismissive grunt.
 
“Suit yourself,” he muttered.
 
Yusuke grinned. “You're all heart, Hiei,” he commented fondly as he wrapped an arm around the youkai's shoulders.
 
Hiei cringed at the touch and shrugged off the imposing arm, glaring darkly at Yusuke. “Say that again,” he challenged in a dangerous tone.
 
“Walk with me,” suggested Yusuke, leaving no room for protest as he dragged Hiei along with him.
 
For the first few minutes Hiei had attempted to struggle out of Yusuke's hold, but he failed to estimate correctly the force the latter would use to keep him under control. He eventually gave into Yusuke's suggestion bitterly. If he wanted, he could have broken free, but there was no harm in walking. But Hiei was unaccustomed to such trifling activities. Kurama had once accused him of being an individual whose wants and needs arose out of the stem of basic survival—never did Hiei do something just for the sake of doing it.
 
He realized now that Kurama had been correct.
 
To simply relax and enjoy someone else's company were two foreign things to Hiei. He was a loner, and he treasured solitude. There were few people in this world that Hiei didn't mind being with—and he had never considered Yusuke as being one of them. The latter was one of the few people Hiei could call a friend, but as company Yusuke could be both a blessing and curse. Nowadays, though, his opinion was swiftly changing. Yusuke had matured greatly from his teenaged years—though he still retained his biting remarks and sharp tongue—he had grown into someone Hiei didn't mind being with.
 
It was an unexpected revelation, but one that Hiei could live with.
 
“Don't you ever get bored of being silent?”
 
At Yusuke's posed question, Hiei looked at him. The taller youkai was staring forward, not giving any attention to the shorter companion beside him.
 
“Don't you ever bored of being nosy?”
 
“Touché,” replied Yusuke with a grin.
 
Hiei stared at him for a while longer. There were many reasons why he was attracted to Yusuke. The latter was his contradiction, but they shared many of the same morals. Both were proud fighters and both could be undeniably stubborn. One thing that Hiei lacked, however, that Yusuke seemed so full of, was charm. It was this quality that first caught Hiei's attention. Then there was Yusuke's do or die methods that were somewhat alarming in the beginning—and the fact that he would seemingly rush into battle without a single care fooled many people, and gave him the title of being headstrong. But years of fighting by Yusuke's side gave his closer friends a different perspective.
 
Yusuke followed his instincts, yes, but he also considered everything else before acting. This rather contradictive personality trait attracted many people to him—both friendly and dangerous. Those who were close to Yusuke, however, treasured him. Hiei could grudgingly attest to that, and so could Kurama, Jin, Chuu, and many other companions. And this was why he had been so angered when he discovered someone was trying to kill Yusuke. They all had their enemies, but those who threatened Yusuke made Hiei feel more at edge than if it had been his own life.
 
Hiei snickered inwardly. Kurama was right yet again. He was falling deeply for Yusuke. It wasn't a matter of choice anymore. His heart was caught hook, line, and sinker—and there was not a single thing he could do against it. He glanced at Yusuke and wondered to himself in a bittersweet manner. Of all people to fall for—he had to fall for the one that managed to both annoy him to no ends and understand him like no one else. Even Kurama hadn't been able to interpret all his moods correctly. Yusuke, however, always had the uncanny ability of knowing what Hiei was thinking. It was perturbing, yet comforting at the same time.
 
“I must deserve this.”
 
“What?”
 
Facing the taller youkai, Hiei narrowed his eyes. Yusuke shrugged carelessly and gestured to himself. “This curse. I must deserve it,” he repeated faintly.
 
Hiei stared at Yusuke. “Don't try to milk any pity from me, Urameshi,” he said offhandedly.
 
Yusuke gave a snort. “Man, you really are a cold little bastard,” he retorted, shaking his head. “I'm just saying… I can't imagine what I could have possibly done to make this youkai so mad—but it must have been bad. You would think I should be able to remember it.”
 
“It could have been blocked out from your mind by whoever's doing this to you.”
 
“Ah, now that would be one hell of a way of keeping a secret identity. Heh, I should try that some time.”
 
Hiei glanced at Yusuke. “Where did you learn to?” he inquired.
 
The latter rose an eyebrow. “What? Magic? Raizen's spirit told me about this old dude—looked kind of like the male version of Genkai—who was one of the last remaining magic users in the Makai. He told me it might be worthwhile to go and search him out, maybe learn a thing or two. Well, I did. But Kairi-sensei, as he was so fond of being called, died on me before finishing up my training,” he explained.
 
“I didn't think there were any magic users left,” remarked Hiei quietly.
 
Yusuke gave a sour smile. “They're dying out. Old magic is seldom useful against the speed and strength of A-Class youkai who enjoy killing. It's kind of sad actually,” he explained.
 
“You've learned a lot.”
 
“Yeah. Kairi was one tough guy. Did you know magic users are actually human who ventured into the Makai hundreds of years ago? It's kind of like how Raizen and his clan entered the Ningenkai, only these humans continued living in the Makai and made it their permanent home.”
 
Hiei froze. “So this enemy is human?” he inquired sharply.
 
“Possibly. Youkai don't generally use magic—it's more of a human thing—but there are some who do,” answered Yusuke casually. He then rapped his knuckles against his head sheepishly. “Sorry for not pointing that out earlier. I didn't really think much about it until I remembered my lessons with Kairi. He was one hell of a human. Genkai and him would have made a great pair.”
 
“Instead of narrowing down our opponent, the field seems to be widening,” commented Hiei thoughtfully.
 
Yusuke suddenly jumped. Hiei regarded him with some exasperation. “If magic users originally came from the Ningenkai, wouldn't there be a chance that there are some still in existence there?” he inquired excitedly.
 
Hiei remained silent.
 
“And if that's the case, maybe the enemy is actually in the Ningenkai, not the Makai, and maybe I can finish up my training!”
 
“It's a long shot, Yusuke. Magic in the Ningenkai was generally nothing more but superstitious tales. And I'm sure in present Ningenkai the term `magic' is mentioned only in children's fairytale books,” Hiei argued tonelessly.
 
Yusuke shot him an exasperated look. “Hey, it's worth something, right? So how about this, after we search the marshes and plains, we go back to the Ningenkai to do a little researching. I passed by the area recently. They really have come far in technology,” he suggested, his faith not at all deterred by Hiei's doubt.
 
The fiery youkai crossed his arms. “You're sure about this,” he said plainly.
 
“Never surer,” affirmed Yusuke.
 
Hiei closed his eyes. “Then we best inform Kurama,” he stated calmly.
 
A happy, almost innocently naïve smile made its way onto Yusuke's face as he reached over and hugged Hiei tightly. “I knew you loved me!” he exclaimed jokingly before speeding off into the distance to where their hut was located.
 
Hiei watched the scene with impassive eyes before tilting his head back to stare at the dark, cavernous ceiling. Nothing stirred as he remained fixed in his spot—just as nothing would stir the deep feeling of uncertainty lodged in his chest.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
TBC