Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Kaleidoscope Syndrome ❯ Stonehenge ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
The Kaleidoscope Syndrome
 
Part IX
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
It had been a tiresome journey that lasted for two weeks. The marshes and plains had lived up to their reputations as being the most feared places in the Makai—with their haunting atmosphere and barren wastelands. The plains were in a region surrounded by darkness. It was noticeably visible in the distance due to the heavy mist that lingered about the area perpetually. Once inside, however, the story was different. It was a mass of flat green grounds. There were few trees, but what they lacked in quantity they surely made up in size. The trees were about the size of the redwood trees founded in the Ningenkai and towered over like magnificent towers amid a lonely backdrop.
 
The youkai that lived within these wooden wonders varied, and most Yusuke didn't care to remember or see ever again. Besides the curious landscape and strangely low temperature, the plains held little interest for him. He couldn't recall what had happened the last time he came, but was sure that it must have been minute for him to forget. After he said those words, though, he had a minor collapse and was forced by Kurama to rest for the better part of the trip while he and Hiei went out to survey the area.
 
Seeing to the marshes had provided little improvement as well.
 
It was known to be the gloomiest place in the entire Makai—and it was. The last time Yusuke had visited the site he was swamped with depressing emotions for the entire trip. There was a powerful magic lingering about the area—cast by some ancient magic users in the early history of the Makai—that enshrouded the area with a dark and foreboding atmosphere. Death rates were the highest in this region and about eighty percent of the Makai's disappearances took place around the marshes. Kurama and Hiei had been especially wary in coming to this area, a place that was so densely compacted with ancient magic that it hurt to even walk. It did nothing to affect Yusuke due to his prior training with Kairi—and he hadn't been aware of their discomfort until they both nearly collapsed while trekking through the murky swamps.
 
“Why didn't you tell me earlier?” he scolded as he aided them to rest on a fallen tree trunk. The swamp was silent and the fog was as thick as the one they encountered in the plains.
 
Kurama breathed in deeply, but the stifling air did little to soothe him. “I didn't think it would get this bad,” he admitted.
 
Yusuke sighed. “No, you should forgive me. I forgot you guys didn't have experience with magic. This place can be a living hell for non-magic users,” he said before forming a series of strange movements in the air with his hands. “Let's remedy that shall we?”
 
A cold green light emitted from Yusuke's hands until they appeared like two fiery flames. He held them out in front of him and all at once a warm rush of energy surrounded Kurama and Hiei's forms, catching them by surprise. They held still while Yusuke muttered a few foreign words and soon enough, the feeling of heaviness dissipated. Yusuke relaxed and smiled broadly at them.
 
“Be impressed by my show of magic,” he declared imperiously.
 
Kurama blinked in wonder. “What did you do?” he questioned.
 
“Just a simple protection incantation—it'll block out the effects of the magic here, though, and keep you safeguarded from any other magical traps and spells,” replied Yusuke.
 
“Does it take much to do?” inquired Hiei surprisingly.
 
Yusuke thought to himself. “Well, not really. The magic here is strong, but it's also old. So fortunately, the effects are not as strong as they would normally be. And most likely the castors are dead—which also further reduce the efficiency of the spells. Although I am curious as to why they cast them here in the first place,” he replied thoughtfully.
 
“What did you find out the last time you were here?” asked Kurama.
 
“Not much. This place is pure despair if you haven't noticed. Those living here at the time were prisoners serving lifelong sentences. There weren't any actual residents—from what I could gather anyway,” answered Yusuke, shaking his head. “It was really disturbing to tell you the truth. The youkai had already lost their minds and were screaming endlessly. That's how they die you know. The weaker your mind gets here the more susceptible you are to the magic—and they died a gruesome death.”
 
Kurama narrowed his eyes.
 
“Who sentenced them?”
 
Yusuke looked at Hiei in surprise. “God knows!” he exclaimed. “They were here before Raizen or any of the other guys were.”
 
“How do you know that?” Hiei prompted suspiciously.
 
“A few of them were mumbling before they died,” answered Yusuke tonelessly.
 
“This is getting rather depressing,” cut in Kurama.
 
Yusuke brightened up immediately. “Tell me about it. I spent three days here last time—and I swear I never thought about dying so many times in my entire life than I did then,” he remarked with a chuckle.
 
“You think there's a chance any of those prisoners are still alive?” queried Hiei.
 
Yusuke threw him a sharp glance. “Hiei, I'm pretty sure none of them cursed me,” he stated plainly.
 
Hiei resisted from rolling his eyes. “I know that, dimwit. But maybe we can find out more about the history of this place from them—and possibly if there any other magic users left in the Makai,” he pointed out.
 
“Say…that's a pretty bright idea, Hiei!”
 
This time Hiei did roll his eyes.
 
The three then began walking again. The eeriness of the swamp eluded them as they focused on their purpose. It was still a treacherous place to be walking through, however. The floating debris they treaded on was unsteady and at any given moment a splash could be heard in the distance of some falling branches from the willowy trees. Kurama had already fallen once into the waters by accident and didn't care to relive that painful experience. The icy cold of those waters were enough to freeze his entrails completely within a few seconds. If it hadn't been for Yusuke and Hiei's speedy rescue Kurama was sure he would have lost his mind to that coldness.
 
“The prisoners…how were they kept?”
 
Yusuke turned to face him curiously. “Tied down to some stone columns. Barriers were put up to block outsiders from releasing them—and believe me, I tried. Those barriers are as steady as Niagara Falls—nothing will get past them. But you can still communicate with them if they have enough of their minds to do so,” he replied lightly.
 
Kurama smiled faintly at his mentioning of Niagara Falls, a reference that Hiei did not care to know about or was even remotely interested in as he grunted derisively.
 
“You know the deeper we get into this, the more I think we'll never find out who cursed me,” remarked Yusuke absently as he kicked away a piece of driftwood from their path. He then smiled amusedly. “But I kind of like this whole adventure. It's been a while since we did anything like this together. It really brings me back to the old days.”
 
Kurama placed an arm around Yusuke's shoulder warmly. “I know what you mean,” he agreed with a smile.
 
Yusuke grinned and then looked at Hiei. “Well, Squirt? What do you think?” he inquired jokily.
 
The fiery youkai visibly stiffened at the nickname and turned to glare at Yusuke darkly. “I think if you say that name one more time I will have to perform a very bloody murder,” he warned harshly.
 
“That's cold, Hiei. Really.”
 
“But that never seems to put you down.”
 
“Well…yeah, you're absolutely correct on that one. I won't argue.”
 
Kurama chuckled softly at the conversation exchanged. If they managed to escape from this mission safely, he was sure that Hiei and Yusuke would have something to discuss. His eyes glittered brightly in the anticipation. They had the most to learn about each other from this situation—and Kurama knew for certain that their relationship would undergo a changing. He just hoped that nothing else would endanger this progress than what was already at hand.
 
“Kurama, you've been to Stonehenge before, right?”
 
The kitsune glanced at Yusuke. “Yes, I have. Why?” he replied.
 
Yusuke gave a wry grin. “That's pretty much how the `prison' looks like. Just throw in a few more slabs of stone and youkai trapped firmly onto those columns and you'll get the picture,” he described.
 
“I see…,” murmured Kurama.
 
“What is this Stonehenge?” inquired Hiei bluntly. He was growing more and more irritated at the references to the Ningenkai. It was enough that he didn't understand half of the jokes Yusuke and Kurama made—but this was getting too far out of hand.
 
Yusuke gave an amused smile. “It's a legendary site in the Ningenkai located somewhere in England—which is in northern Europe—which is quite far from Japan—which, as you know, is that place you lived in those few years while we worked for Koenma,” he clarified before noticing the fuming glare Hiei was aiming at him. He cleared his throat before continuing. “Well, it's considered as something of a mystery in the Ningenkai. There's a lot of speculation as to who built it—from the Greeks to the Druids. No one knows why it was built either, but the two most popular explanations are for human sacrifice or astronomical studies. It first began around 3500 B.C. and it's also been studied that additions were made from 2800 B.C. to 1800 B.C.—over five thousand years ago. Needless to say, this thing is ancient.”
 
Kurama looked at Yusuke interestedly. “You seem to know a lot about this place.”
 
“I love mysterious stuff like that,” he replied with a whimsical grin.
 
Hiei frowned. “And you say the place where the prisoners are kept resembles it?” he asked.
 
Yusuke nodded.
 
“Strange,” muttered Hiei.
 
“You tell me,” remarked Yusuke with a short laugh. “But I'm curious to see what new advances they've made. It's been a while since I've been to the Ningenkai after all. I'm sure they discovered something new by now.”
 
Hiei arched an eyebrow. “Who would have thought the Ningenkai would have mysteries of its own,” he commented dryly.
 
“Well, of course, Hiei! Look at where we are now. This is a historical site of the Makai. The same places exist in the Ningenkai—and boy are they strange. I've never seen any of them but the stories and legends behind them are fascinating,” exclaimed Yusuke brightly.
 
“I never thought of you as the type to be so interested in this,” remarked Kurama.
 
Yusuke shrugged. “You learn something new every day,” he replied.
 
“Did it ever occur to you that there might be a link to your Stonehenge and the Makai?”
 
At this Yusuke paused mid-walk and turned around to face Hiei. “Explain,” he ordered.
 
Hiei narrowed his eyes. “You claim the site in which the prisoners are held in resemble Stonehenge, which is located in the Ningenkai. No one knows who built it or why—and they're old, like the one located here. We also know that magic users came originally from the Ningenkai,” he said slowly.
 
“You think the ones who created this prison also created Stonehenge in the Ningenkai,” concluded Kurama.
 
“But no one knows for sure if magic users really did build the site,” remarked Yusuke confusedly.
 
Hiei frowned. “Use your head, Yusuke. You said so yourself that old and ancient magic surrounds this area. The only question was why. All I know is that ever since the early history of the Makai magic users have been shunned from society. This place might have been their only safe haven—a place where no one could harm them. Those youkai trapped here might have been those unfortunate enough—or stupid enough—to stumble into their territory,” he explained.
 
Yusuke scrunched up his nose. “This is so confusing. So what now? We can safely assume that the ones who established this place are dead—or hiding in some place very well. But what the hell does it have to do with me?” he cried out in aggravation.
 
“If only there was a record of magic users kept in the Makai,” murmured Kurama.
 
“Koenma!”
 
“What?” inquired Hiei briskly, arching an eyebrow.
 
Yusuke grinned at them brightly. “He's the god of death, right? So wouldn't he have in-depth information on every living individual in all three worlds—including those who were magic users?” he suggested slowly.
 
“I'd rather go through the prisoners than that baby,” stated Hiei impassively.
 
Kurama stifled a chuckle behind his hand.
 
“Well, either way we can use him as a last resort. We still don't know who we're looking for after all,” continued Yusuke.
 
The three stood their ground for a minute. The fog grew thicker and denser, but none seemed to notice until Yusuke gave a cry of dismay when he could no longer see what was in front of him. Only white cloudy mist could be seen and he could barely make out Hiei's dark form. Kurama had all but vanished in the thick veil. The temperature was also dropping. Yusuke figured it was approaching night. But day and night were almost indistinguishable in the marshes. He reached out blindly until he caught hold of Hiei's sleeve and Kurama's tunic.
 
“Stay close,” he warned.
 
The other two didn't respond but Yusuke knew they heard him. “Call on your energy,” he directed.
 
“What for?” questioned Kurama from his right.
 
“High youki can dispel the fog—and with the three of us here we won't even have to call on our full power,” explained Yusuke.
 
“Right,” affirmed Kurama and Hiei.
 
The three stood in a packed circle and focused on their energy—a high wind and piercing light produced as the resultants. Almost at once the fog was cut through and the swamp appeared clearer and brighter than before.
 
“Magic has to do with everything here—but strong youki can counteract it. That was why the magic users died out. They were strong, but few. All it took was a few S-classed youkai to wipe out a majority of them,” commented Yusuke.
 
“Why did they wipe them out?” inquired Kurama.
 
“Because they were a threat,” answered Yusuke simply.
 
Hiei glanced at Yusuke. “I never even knew what the magic users had to go through,” he remarked quietly.
 
Yusuke shrugged. “No one did,” he said.
 
Their trek continued without a word. Eventually an exit appeared before them and they were allowed a moment to rest before entering another watery landscape. The marshes were like that all throughout. Some areas held more land than others, but there were few fixed grounds in which they could walk upon. It was an ever-changing terrain filled with darkness and no life. The trees were the same in every corner—tall, thin, and wispy. There was little breeze and when the wind did blow, it would cast an ominous moan across the area.
 
The prisons were established upon the largest fixed patch of land, and when they reached it they were instantly greeted by screams of anguish and torment. It sent chills up their spines as they walked closer and closer to their goal. The ground they walked on was a faded green—the first color they had seen since entering the marshes. When they finally came upon the site, they all paused to take in the scene before them. It was an exact duplicate of Stonehenge, but it held no charm or intrigue as the latter. Tied to the stone pillars were four ancient youkai whose bodies were slowly decomposing. Their cries of pain were haunting and frighteningly disturbing.
 
“How can their bodies still be intact after all these years?” whispered Kurama in shock.
 
Yusuke watched them sullenly. “The spells probably preserved their bodies longer than the normal rate,” he answered.
 
“This is madness,” muttered Hiei.
 
The youkai's eyes were the mirrors of despair and agony. But one of them was still able to notice their appearance. His body and face were beyond identification or recognition but his hair held an off-white hue, which indicated a small bit of his former self before subjected to his punishment. His eyes, however, glittered brightly in the dimness. It was this that separated him from the rest, and what made Yusuke approach him.
 
“Do you see us?” he inquired.
 
The youkai did not respond, but his amethyst eyes widened marginally.
 
“Can you speak?”
 
For a while it seemed as if the youkai had not heard Yusuke, but then slowly, painfully, he opened his mouth and revealed a series of decaying teeth and the rotten smell of death. He strove to speak for several moment before finding his voice.
 
“I know you,” he croaked out, his voice hoarse and broken.
 
Yusuke smiled slightly. “Yeah, I was the one who tried to break the barrier last time,” he replied.
 
“Why are you here?”
 
“To ask you who did this to you,” continued Yusuke without hesitation.
 
The youkai inhaled sharply and shuddered violently, as if the mere memory pained him. He shut his eyes for a moment before opening them again. “The magic folk… They did this…,” he muttered.
 
“Why?” inquired Kurama.
 
The youkai's eyes flew to him for a single moment before settling back on Yusuke. “Because we dared to try and take their land,” he answered darkly.
 
Yusuke crossed his arms thoughtfully. The youkai stirred and raised his head slowly to look at him more closely.
 
“You are…Raizen?”
 
“What?” demanded Yusuke at once.
 
The youkai lowered his head. “You are the one he was speaking about…the halfling,” he muttered.
 
Yusuke watched the youkai raptly. “When did Raizen come to you?” he inquired.
 
“Long ago…before you even arrived.”
 
“How do you know him?”
 
The youkai suddenly gave a low chuckle. “We are his—and your—ancestors,” he answered.
 
Yusuke stepped back for a moment and looked at the other youkai attached to the pillars. He had failed to notice before that every single one of them held the same whitish hair as he and Raizen did. He narrowed his eyes sharply and looked at the youkai before him.
 
“How long has it been since you were trapped?”
 
The youkai took in a rattling breath. “Over five millennia,” he answered.
 
Yusuke nodded. “Would you like to be freed from your prison?” he inquired.
 
The youkai looked at him dully—but the faint glimmer of hope in his eyes betrayed the pessimistic tone in his voice.
 
“It's impossible. You could not do it before,” he hissed.
 
Yusuke leaned back and wrapped his arms around Kurama and Hiei. “Ah, but it was just me before,” he pointed out. He then faced his companions. “So what say you? Want to free them from their misery?”
 
“How?” questioned Kurama.
 
“Leave that to me,” answered Yusuke as he walked further away from the two. “Hold hands, close your eyes, and just relax. I'll do the rest.”
 
Kurama and Hiei complied with little complaint and soon heard the mellow chanting of Yusuke as he began his incantation. During the chant they experienced a noticeable drop in their physical energy as well as their spiritual. It was a strange occurrence and if not for the total trust they had in Yusuke, they would have withdrawn immediately. But the latter's calming presence allowed them to remain at ease.
 
“Done,” chimed Yusuke suddenly when he broke their circle.
 
The youkai were no longer present. That was the first thing they noticed. On a second glance they were quick to note that the entire landscape had changed as well. The fog had lifted and the inky blue sky was seen above them. The watery backdrop was still in place but no longer held the same threat it did prior to Yusuke's spell.
 
“This place is now magic-free,” announced Yusuke with a grin. He then gestured to the stones. “Now they're pretty much exactly like Stonehenge without the magical barrier.”
 
“Where are the youkai now?” queried Kurama.
 
“Free—hopefully,” replied Yusuke. He placed a hand on his hip and looked at him and Hiei curiously. “I was thinking before…I think it's about time we head over to the Reikai and give Koenma a call.”
 
Hiei studied Yusuke closely. “Why now?” he inquired.
 
“I'm pretty sure now that whoever's responsible for my curse originated from here—and I think I know why as well.”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
TBC
 
Apologies for the delay. Life is busy.