Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Least of our worries ❯ Pets and Excuses ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I own nothing, got it

Chapter 3~Pets and Excuses

"Wow, what a fantastic name," said Hiei sarcastically as they walked into Eelopes Owl Emporium and promptly got a slap on the back of his head by Kurama. Glaring at the red haired young man beside him, Hiei was reconsidering his plans. The fox was looking quite innocent like he had done nothing wrong. The jaganshi was about throw a fire ball at the kitsune's back when Yukina, realizing that Kurama was in a bad situation, grabbed her brother and dragged him along as they went to pick their pets.

Yusuke took his time looking at the owls when a bird caught his eye. It was bigger than an owl and its wings were multicolored which contrasted to its black feathers. "Bingo," he said making his way to the bird, he picked up the cage and made his way to the counter.

Kurama was looking at the foxes when a lady arrived holding a squirming fox. It was silver; Kurama's color. He took it out of her arms and looked at it. One look confirmed it. He wanted that fox. Gathering him in his arms, Kurama made his way to the front counter when he saw the blue-haired maiden out of the corner of his eye

Yukina was looking at some ice falcons. They reminded her of the ice world. She tried to reach the cage, but she was still too short. Moaning in frustration she was about to ask for help, when someone grabbed the cage giving it to her. She turned around to see a smiling Kurama with a fox in his arms. She blushed, and took the cage giving him a quick thank you.

Meanwhile our favorite koorime was looking at two things that caught his eye. One was a dragon's egg, the other a phoenix. Deciding that the others would throw a fit if he bought a dragon's egg, he focused on the phoenix. The sign above said that you had to raise a phoenix from young for it to obey you. Taking up the youngest phoenix, he decided to get something else as well. A baby phoenix wasn't useful until it grew up. Looking at his sister, he decided to get a bird known as the nightmare singer. It didn't resent him, and it looked gorgeous. It had silver eyes, and black feathers with silver stomach feathers. Picking up the two cages, he made his way to the counter.

The others looked at him in some amazement as he forked over 50 galleons for both animals. They knew that it was pocket change, but they didn't expect him to buy two animals. Kurama kept quiet until they reached back to the portal to the makai. Yusuke bugged Hiei why he bought two animals, while Yukina was petting the nightmare singer but made sure to give as much attention to her ice falcon. "Excuse me everyone but shouldn't we name our pets at least." Everyone turned to Kurama and nodded in agreement. " He'll be named… Tsuki because the color of his fur is like the moon.

"Well his name is Shenlong," said Yusuke holding up his arm, to gesture at the cage.

"I was thinking about Shiva, for her," said Yukina lifting the ice falcon's cage up.

"The nightmare singer's name will be Shinagami, while the phoenix will be named Fiore," said Hiei pointing to the phoenix in his cage, and the nightmare singer on his shoulder.

They spent the night in Koenma's castle for some much needed R and R. The next morning Kurama brought a very good point to everyone. How were they going to explain their disappearance to their parents? Yukina and Hiei were safe because they lived alone, but Kurama and Yusuke were a different story. Thus began the search for proper excuses.

Kurama being the straight A honor student that he was, was going to be attending a boarding school for excellent students.

Yusuke on the other hand was going to leave without telling anyone and leaving it up to Kuwabara to give an excuse to his mother. Hiei liked the idea, but Yukina and Kurama talked Yusuke out of it giving him a proper excuse.

"Tell her that you're being sent to a special school for children with special cases," said Kurama, "tell her when she's drunk and I know she'll buy it easily." If it wasn't for the fact that Kurama had given him an excuse he wouldn't have let him get away with the 'children for special cases' bit.

Taking Kurama's advice both of them went into the Human World, to tell their parents of their "entries in the schools". Yusuke's mom bought it easy, and left the house telling him to write home once in a while. After packing he made his way to Kurama's house. He stood outside for about 15 minutes until the kitsune decided to emerge. " What took you so long, Kurama. I thought you decided not to go again," said Yusuke grinning.

"My mother took it quite well and wouldn't stop crying until about 20 minutes ago. Sorry if I kept you waiting lets go."

Together they walked toward the demon lord portal and made their way to Koenma's castle. That would have been their last night in Japan for a long time.

Sorry the chapter's so short and rushed but I have a summer project for school and I got to finish it.

When I had this story up the last time on fanfiction.net, someone reviewed and cussed me out for naming the falcon Shiva. Now number one, I have no idea what the person was talking about. Number 2, I named Shiva after the ice aeon/eidoleon/GF/Esper/Summon from the Final Fantasy series. And yes I got Shinagami from the name that Duo uses in Gundam Wing. Also, Shenlong is named after one of the Eternal Dragons in Dragon Ball.

Lastly thank you, my fellow writers for reviewing my fanfic thus far. Thank you and keep on reviewing.

-Jaganshi Summoner~Ryu Kokoro