Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Reason For Fighting ❯ Chapter Seven ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~ I'd love to get more reviews on this please. Tell anyone!!! Just kidding. (not really) Anywho, I'm typing this on my new laptop!!! It came today. Very excited, so you get a new chapter! On with the fic! ~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since that day, Naomi had been very busy putting up wards and surveying the surrounding forest area. With nothing better to do, he followed her. He became used to the looks he received when they occasionally had to go into the town itself. 'Stupid humans. They should fear me.'

Many people would stop the miko and make some comment or thank you to her for something she had done. There were many dinner invitations as well, but she politely refused all of them. "It's the least I could do. It satisfies me knowing I protected someone you love and cherish. Please do not hesitant to come by the shrine and visit now and then. I do enjoy the company."

One particular day they went into town, he stood off to the side, closest to the forest. It was far enough away from the humans and their stares yet close enough to hear and to assist if necessary. 'Why do I bother? The miko obviously doesn't need any assistance from me. As a matter of fact, why do I even bother staying?' This new thought puzzled him greatly. Why was he staying? It just didn't make sense.

He stood off to the side pondering this when he heard a specific conversation she was having with a villager. "Forgive me, Naomi, but I must inquire as to why you are in the company of a demon. He's a violent person who would and could kill you without a seconds notice. Why keep such a threat close by?"

With a scowl on his face, he looked over to where she was. 'Old hag. Mind your business.' Then it occurred to him he had wondered the same thing often. He eagerly awaited her reply.

Naomi smiled at the woman. "Do not fear him. He is not someone I worry about. I trust him with my life and he has become a friend and somewhat guardian of mine. He has sought to protect me once. I do not fear him."

A smile spread onto his face before he could stop it. 'She trusts me?' This happy moment was short, for he heard the old woman's reply.

"Pardon me, but he is a fox demon. It is in his very nature to trick people, demon and human alike. Could he not be tricking you?"

The miko shook her head. "I do not believe he is tricking me. He could have killed me many times and he did not. I have no reason to think he is plotting against me or the people of this village. I trust him with no restrictions. Now if that is all, I must get back to the shrine. Excuse me." With that she walked away from the woman and on towards her home, him following in the shadows. He walked deep in thought yet again. 'I can't believe she has that much trust in me. Why? I am a demon, her enemy.'

They had soon reached the shrine and she went right over to target practice. Before Naomi could pick up her bow, he placed a hand on her shoulder, signaling her to stop. She looked at him with curiosity written all over her face. "Is there something wrong, Kurama?"

"It is about what you said to that woman today." She nodded meaning she knew what he was speaking of. He looked at her fully and thought over and over again should he even be asking this question. After a few brief moments, he finally spoke. "Did you mean it? All that you said. Why did you say it?"

She looked at him, puzzled at his questions. "Of course I meant it, all of it. I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it. I do view you as a friend and someone I can trust."

"But I am a demon, your enemy."

She shook her head. "You have done nothing against me. You could not possibly be viewed as an enemy if you have done nothing to show me otherwise. And whether you are a demon or not makes no difference to me. You are someone with feelings and emotions. That is all that matters, how you put your talent and feelings to use."

Quite surprised was he with her answer. Never had he heard such a thing. He watched her as she picked up her bow and arrow, aiming at the target. "Why do you trust me?"

Without looking away from the target, she replied, "Should I have a reason to doubt you?" She released the arrow and sent it flying free until it hit its mark on the bull's eye. The young miko then turned to him to receive an answer. He stood there, not knowing what to say.

He lucked out, for they both sensed it at the same time. "There's a demon here. Stay here and-"

"You should know by now I'm going to go see for myself." He looked and saw her disappear into the forest in search of the demon. She already had a good head start in front of him, so he wasted no time going after her. 'Stupid miko. She's going to get herself killed at this rate.'

As he followed, a chill ran down his spine. 'Oh no. There's definitely more then one.' Quickening his speed, he raced through the forest to find where the young miko ran off to. A specific scent caught his nose at that moment. 'Blood. Her blood.' He made himself run faster then he ever had before until he finally reached her. She must have been faster then he thought to have been that far ahead of him. What he saw shocked him.

There were a few people from the village there all huddled together. From their attire they must have been field workers. A few feet away from them were about ten demons. 'They must be a hunting party of some kind.' They had all surrounded the miko, who was clutching her arm, pain written all over her face. The demons were all laughing at her as one licked it's claw which was dripping with her blood.

"So miko, where's your protector now?" A huge roar of laughter exploded from them at the apparently funny situation. "You should learn never to trust a fellow demon like us. We are all betrayers in the end. Now, how do you wish to die?"

She smirked at the apparent leader. "Of old age. I shall not die this day, especially not by you."

The demon laughed. "And what are you going to do? You are already injured. If you weren't, maybe you could take all of us on, but you didn't know of my one hiding in the bushes. Now you can hardly hold that bow."

'So they ambushed her. Those low life… they aren't fit to be called demons.' Anger flowed through him at an enormous rate, frightening himself a bit. He didn't dwell on it for he set himself ready to attack.

"Hehe. Where's your so called guardian now, wench?" The one demon laughed.

"Right here." The demon turned just in time to have his face connect with his fist. The others turned to this intruder as he saw a look of relief take on Naomi's face. Two other demons came at him at once. He easily dodged them with grace and withdrew a rose from behind his hair. "Rose whip!" A long thorn covered green whip extended and took the place of the rose. With one fluid motion, he easily hit a majority of them and continued to do so until only the leader and one other remained. He glared at the two as one ran towards him, swinging his fist at him wildly. 'He's trying too hard to defeat me and to look good in the leader's eyes.' He leaped up into the air and used his whip one last time, defeating the demon who just fell to the ground in pain. None of the demons had actually been killed, but rather badly injured.

He looked over to the leader to see, to his horror, he had Naomi held up in his hands. The demon stood behind her, his arm coming across her neck cutting off air supply as well as using her as a shield from him. The blood flow down her arm had increased in this time.

The leader laughed, seeing his eyes take on a look of red. "Why do you care so for this miko? She's just a worthless human, as are those over there who hide and do not lift a frail finger to help."

He growled and gripped the whip tighter. "They have shown nothing but kindness to me. I have no reason to harm them."

"Nor do you have a reason to protect them. A demon does not belong with humans. You cannot trust them, only feed on them. We are sworn enemies and the more we get rid of, the less likely they will get us." With that his grip on the miko increased, causing her a vast amount of pain. He then dug his claws into her side to try and make her yelp out in pain. She struggled hard not to cry out, but only let a tear fall from her eye. Blood soon started to seep through her clothing.

He then remembered what she had said to him.

She spoke one last thing. "I find you as one of the good kind."

He turned to her. "Don't be foolish. All demons are bad. Some just have good moments."

"Nonetheless, I see you as good."

And also in the village…

"He is not someone I worry about. I trust him with my life and he has become a friend and somewhat guardian of mine. I trust him with no restrictions."

And yet again just before she ran off here…

"You have done nothing against me. You could not possibly be viewed as an enemy if you have done nothing to show me otherwise. And whether you are a demon or not makes no difference to me. You are someone with feelings and emotions. That is all that matters, how you put your talent and feelings to use."

His anger began to build. "Let go of her now. Not all demons and humans are to be enemies. This one and this village are under my protection." With that he sent out his rose whip. The demon moved the girl in the way to block the attack, but there was no fear in her eyes or her scent. Not understand why, the demon looked and soon realized. The whip was being manipulated into changing course! Before he could move to defend, the demon felt the thorns of the whip dig into his skin. The pain was enormous, which caused him to release the girl, dropping her to the ground. She landed hard onto her wound and clutched it, the pain flashing in her eyes.

He quickly walked over to the demon who was now on the ground and glared at him. "Remember, this woman and her village are under my protection. I will not be so lenient with your lives the next time. Now take your hunting party and leave, never to return." He watched as the demon nodded, got his troops together and left, limping deep into the forest. Turning, he told the few people to return to their homes, which they did quickly. With a soften expression, he went over to the woman who had fallen. Too much of her blood was coming out of her body. Without a word, he bent down and lifted her into his arms. Making sure she was alright and he wasn't hitting her wounds, he raced off into the forest and to the shrine.

When he finally got there, he pulled out a futon for her and placed her gently on it. 'She has lost a lot of blood. I have to stop the bleeding or else she will die.' Without another thought, he reached to move the sleeve to examine the wound to her arm. 'Damn, it is closer to her shoulder.' Taking a deep breath, he looked to see her still semi-conscious. "Now listen to me. I need to take a look at both your shoulder and your side to stop the bleeding or else you will die. I need you to trust me."

Her eyes slowly locked with his, telling him all he needed to know. She did trust him. Knowing what he wanted to do, she slowly removed the top part of her miko robe.

He looked away and quickly got her something to cover a certain area of her body. While doing so, he felt his cheeks burning. Was he… blushing? There was no time to ponder that. The more time he took the less chance she had of surviving. Once she was covered, he set to work on her injuries. As he worked, he noticed her fall unconscious, probably asleep. 'She has no fear of me whatsoever. I will protect you for you are unlike anyone I have ever known. I will safe your life this day with no regrets, just like you saved mine.'

With that and no more interruptions, he worked well into the night to make the bleeding stop.

~*~Okay, another down. Yay! Now, all you have to do is push that button down there and review. Tell me if I'm completely wasting all my sleep time writing this or not. Review!!!! ~*~