Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Reason For Fighting ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~Okay, sorry it took so long to update. For all of those reviewers, you all rock! Anywho, on with chapter 6. Any questions, just review and I'll answer them in the next chapter. ~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sea was kind to the five travelers. Calm waters thus far. Day one was almost done on their new mission. It would take about a week to get to the island itself. Yusuke and Kuwabara were yelling at each other for some reason while Hiei went off by himself.

Botan was coming onto the top deck when she spotted Kurama. He was leaning on the railing looking out into the water. 'He seems distracted, almost sad. I wonder…' The blue haired woman walked over to him and placed her arms on the railing as well. "Are you okay Kurama?"

The red haired demon continued to stare out into the water's depth. "I'm fine."

Genuinely concerned, Botan pressed on. "Are you sure? You don't seem like yourself."

"Botan, what else can you tell me about the mission?"

Sighing, Botan thought for a minute. "According to the survivor, the newcomers are considered guests. They stay at the Inn in that town until it is their time to battle. The demon prefers group battles though, kind of like the Dark Tournament."

"What can you tell me about Natas?"

"Well, not much. We have little to no record of him. Koenma thought that was due to the fact he hasn't done anything until now."

Kurama slammed his fist into the railing. "That's not true!" Seeing Botan's wide eyes, he tried to regain his composure. "I'm sorry. Forgive my out burst. I just need to be alone to think."

She nodded and turned to leave. "You know, Kurama. If you told us what was going on, we would all be able to help you. We would know why you are fighting so hard. Maybe then you wouldn't be alone in your fight." Botan began to head to the lower deck, leaving Kurama to his thoughts.

He looked up in the sky. "She's the reason I'm fighting. She's always been my reason."

"And who is this she?"

Kurama turned to see Hiei standing there glaring at him. "How long have you been there?"

"Long enough. What's going on Kurama? Who's this she?"

"I told you before not to ask me that."

Hiei didn't like that answer. "Kurama, tell me. There has to be a reason why you are fighting." A thought struck the shorter demon. "It's the miko, isn't it? You know her."

Kurama was starting to get very angry. "Hiei, just back off."

"So it is her. You do know the miko. You're risking your life for a piece of filth like that?"

Wrong thing to say. Kurama lifted Hiei up by the collar and slammed him into the railing with so much speed and force, Hiei didn't even see it coming! With a growl, Kurama put his face close to Hiei's. "Never, EVER call her that."

Although surprised, Hiei grinned. 'So, that's your story. I understand now.' "Alright Kurama." Ever so slowly, Kurama released him and backed away.

"Leave me in peace, Hiei." He turned and stared out into the waters again while the other demon walked away. 'So Kurama has feelings for this girl. I'd call him a traitor but there has to be something different with her. I'll just have to find out for myself.'

Meanwhile, two human heads and a blue haired woman were listening in to what had happened. "So there's something between him and the miko." Yusuke thought about this. 'I understand Kurama. I'd do the same thing if something happened to Keiko. I'll help all I can.'

Kurama covered his eyes with his hand. 'Botan's right. I'm not acting like myself. They probably all know now.' He then directed his gaze to the sky. 'Naomi…'

~Flashback~

Kurama had been staying at the shrine for a week now and he couldn't even get close to Naomi. Every time he tried, she'd run off and go do some miko business. 'If I didn't know better, I'd say she was avoiding me.' With a grin on his face, he came up with a plan as to when to be able to talk with her.

That night, Naomi was walking up the steps when she looked up and saw Kurama standing there. "What are you doing up? It's almost midnight."

"I've been waiting to speak with you."

She shook her head and tried to get around him. "It's late."

He stood in front of her path. "Why are you avoiding me?"

The young miko looked him straight in the eye. "What are you talking about?"

"You mentioned you wanted to speak with me at some point. Every time I trying talking with you, you always walk away with some excuse."

Her eyes narrowed. "I've been busy."

"Well, you aren't now."

The miko sighed. "Fine. Where would you like to talk?"

Kurama smiled and looked around. "Where would you suggest? I don't want to disturb the others."

Looking around the area, Naomi thought a moment. "I know this hill I go to in order to clear my mind. It's not too far away. Follow me."

He nodded and followed the girl in front of him. She was in the traditional miko attire with her hair tied back as well. Her bow and arrows were with her in case of danger. As promised, the hill wasn't that far away. Kurama was taken aback by the view. Below him was the forest, lush and beautiful, and past that was the town.

"I can see why you like coming here. It's truly beautiful." He turned to see her sitting on the grass waiting for him to sit as well. He walked over and sat down beside her.

"So what did you want to talk about?"

"I wanted to know more about you. Why don't you tell me about yourself?"

Naomi shook her head. "All you need to know is I'm a miko. You know, sworn enemy of all demons."

Kurama sighed. "That's just what you are, you're role. I'm asking who you are."

The girl blinked at him. "Well, I've lived here my entire life. My parents were… killed by a demon when I was younger and I have been living with Sóra and Haku since then. I have been training as a miko since I was able to walk. I like it. I like being able to help and protect people. They trust me. I even get to perform marriage ceremonies if they wish. It a great honor."

The demon smiled. "Now that wasn't too bad, was it?"

"Well what about you? What's your story?"

After thinking about it, Kurama finally spoke. "In my past life, I was a fox demon. A very powerful one. I was attacked and to save my life, I entered the womb of a human woman. I was born Shuuichi and have grown up as him, a human, but I'm still a demon." He continued to tell her all about himself and his adventures with the group.

"So Yusuke is the Spirit Detective, Kuwabara is basically a lucky idiot, and Hiei is a demon with the cold shoulder?"

Kurama laughed. "Pretty much."

"I'd like to meet them one day."

"Maybe some day you will." Kurama looked at her intently. 'She seems more relaxed now, more comfortable.'

That night, they had continued to talk about each other and of just about everything. Before they knew it, the sun was rising. It colors spread of the sky, causing Naomi to look up. "It's so beautiful. Every morning I watch the colors take over the dark sky. It's just… wow."

Kurama had never thought of it like that. He usually didn't care, but this one time, the sun rise was, well, magical. He sat back and relaxed as well. 'I didn't realize I was nervous and tense.'

Suddenly, Naomi got up and stretched. "Well we better head over. Sóra will be worried if we don't get in soon. She might think I shot you with my purifying arrows."

Kurama blinked a few times, but got up and stared straight into her eyes. "Now that you know more about me, do you still fear me?"

She looked at him and started laughing.

*Sweatdrop* 'That wasn't exactly what I was expecting.'

"I'm sorry. You thought I feared you? I never feared you. Distrusted you, yes, but feared? No way. I'm a miko! I face demons all the time. Why would I fear you?"

"Well, when we first met, you kept on stepping away from me. I assumed it was out of fear."

"Oh no! First lesson with mikos is put some space between you and the demon. It's kind of hard to shoot my arrow at you if you're right next to me."

"That makes sense." He looked over towards the house then back at her. "Shall we?"

She smiled and nodded. Without turning around, she called to him. "Kurama, I can tell now you are someone to be trusted. You may be a demon, but because of your mother, you have a human heart. Well, at least part of it." She turned her head and faced him. "I do not see a time where I would point my arrow at you."

She then ran off towards the house, leaving a confused Kurama behind. He then smiled and followed her. 'That's all I needed. I can't think of a reason to harm her or anyone else here. My fighting days just might be over.'

~End Flashback~

Kurama smirked. 'End of my fighting? That was just a dream.' His mind kept wandering until he could see her smiling face in front of him. Before he knew what he was doing, Kurama found himself reaching out for her as her image disappeared. With a frown on his face, he sighed. 'You are my driving force, Naomi. You are someone I would gladly fight for, die for.'

Shaking his head, Kurama then left the railing and went to the lower decks. It was finally night. Maybe tonight he would get some rest.

~*~Seriously, comments and questions are welcomed. And here's some info on my other fanfics:

The Heart and History of the Pharaoh: (Yu-Gi-Oh!) Back on Duelist Kingdom, Yugi and the gang battle on to save his grandpa. They stumble upon a night club where they meet a beautiful singer. Who is she and how could she help Yami?(A/N: Okay, Danielle is an OC and the story is basically piecing together Yami's past, but possibly finding out more than even he imagined. It starts during DuelistKingdomand picks up from there into a completely different story. BattleCitydoes not exist in this story.)

Lost: (Inu Yasha) InuYasha says something terrible to Kagome, causing her to run back home. She takes a walk in the park which leads her to the hospital. What happened to Kagome? (Kindaself explanatory)

Frozen: (Inu Yasha) In a world where Youkai and Humans have made a treaty, some disobey it. A hanyou and his friend get into an accident and wind up in the only hospital that admits both human and non-humans. The hanyou gets a visit from a girl. Why does she need help? (A/N: This story is almost completely independent from the series. Only the characters and possibly some character traits are used.)

Kazega Fuku Hi: (Inu Yasha) Kagome is a driven bookworm at college. Her friend Sango is lively and her boyfriend is a hentai. What happens when Kagome meets their equally driven friend with the beautiful violet eyes? (A/N: Basically independent from the series. The idea was taken from Prescription for Love, an EscaFlowne fanfic I love. The story is not an exact copy with just different people. It is just based on that idea.)

Fall Into Me: (Inu Yasha) The Shikon No Tama is a band that starting to get very well known. Right as they are going after a record deal, their guitarist quits. Who will they get to play? Travel with the tour bus and see how love comes in mysterious ways. (A/N: Another independent fic from the series. Lots of inside jokes which are just funny. Basically Kagome's heart gets numbed by some jerk. She's in a band with Sango, Miroku and Shippou. Can this new guitarist cure her broken heart)

Coming Home: (EscaFlowne) Ten years have past since Hitomi returned to the Mystic Moon. She promised never to forget Van. In his heart he promised to never forget her. Have they kept their promises? (A/N: As said, this takes place ten years after the end of the series. It's what happened after they went home and how their lives have changed.)

So if you have free time, take a look at my other work. Ja ne!~*~