Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Reason For Fighting ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~*~ Yay! Now it's time for chapter 5. Warning, I've had a lot of caffeine. ~*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He had been there a week now. Why he stayed he didn't really know. With each new day, the miko Naomi would come and check on him. His wounds were gone after a day though, so he should have just taken off. Something made him stay. This miko intrigued him somehow. 'She wasn't afraid of me. The others were. Why isn't she?'

Currently he was leaning against a tree in the yard, watching her sweep the steps. He had decided to study her and see what could possess her to help an enemy. 'I can't understand it. She seems like a regular human. She should be afraid and chase me away. This does not make sense.'

"Kurama?"

He looked up and noticed she had stopped sweeping and was looking directly at him. "Is there something wrong, Kurama? You look very deep in thought."

He didn't answer but stare in her direction. It was actually more like a glare. A breeze came in suddenly and blew his white hair to the side as her brown hair flowed in the direction the wind took it. He looked away, but out of the corner of his eye saw her smile. 'Stupid human. Why is she smiling?'

He saw her stop her sweeping and head towards him. "I'll be in the back practicing. You can either wait here and tell me if anyone needs my help or come and watch. It's up to you." She continued her walk towards the back.

Without looking at her, he smirked. "What makes you think I won't just kill you while you're back there? No one would see."

Without looking back or stopping, she replied. "If you were going to do that, I don't think you'd tell me." She continued to walk to her destination.

He looked up and watched her as she walked away. 'This girl… what is it about her that's so different?' Shrugging, he made his way over to where she was practicing something. When he arrived, he saw her standing in some sort of stance. He then noticed the bow in her hand. 'She must have already fired the arrow.' He looked and was surprised to see an arrow at the very center of the bull's eye.

"What do you think?"

He shrugged. "Nice shot." He noticed she smiled again. 'Why the heck is she smiling?'

She drew another arrow and aimed. As she released, she said, "I've been practicing for years. If I'm off by the slightest bit, it could cost me my life. Though I am alright at the stationary target, I don't get much practice with a moving target."

His attention shifted. 'There's a demon nearby.' He saw her straighten as well. 'She must sense it's presences as well.' He walked towards the area he felt the demon was. "Stay here. I'll look."

He headed into the forest and traveled until he saw the demon. It was hunched over and looked ready to attack. In front of it was a small child. The human girl looked up with terrified eyes at her attacker.

"Hold it right there!" He turned to see the miko aim her arrow at the demon. The look in her eyes was challenging and one of great confidence. There was no fear to be detected on her.

The demon looked at her. "A miko? Feh, it will boost my rep if I kill you. Prepare to die!" The demon lunged at her at great speed.

He looked on with horror and made moves to run over, but it would have been in vain. She had released her arrow, a great light surrounded it. 'A purification arrow?' It hit the demon and it cried out in pain as it disintegrated into ash.

He looked at her with eyes wide. He had no idea she could do that! She walked over to the child and spoke softly to it.

"Are you alright? Let me check for any wounds."

The teary eyed child nodded and pointed to her leg. It was bleeding, but not too badly. Naomi smiled. "What a brave little girl. Don't worry. This isn't too serious. You were very lucky. Just remember to be very careful in the forest, alright?" The girl nodded and Naomi told her to head on home.

She got up and faced him. "You are surprised? Why else wouldn't I be afraid of you? I have ways of protecting myself. Besides, after today, I do not think you will harm me."

"And why's that?"

"Because I saw you start to move to protect me."

They stared at each other for a moment before she turned and headed back to the shrine. He followed her, deep in thought. 'Why did I do that?'

The sky was turning dark by the time they got back. Instead of heading inside, the miko turned and went towards the back again. Curious, he followed. She suddenly stopped after awhile and sat on a grassy hill that overlooked the village below. "Come sit with me?"

He didn't know why, but he did as she asked. She looked up at the night sky. "Tell me. What drives you each day?" When he did not answer, she continued. "I mean, what force pushes you to do what you do each day?"

Never had such a question be asked of him. After some thinking, he replied. "Survival."

She nodded, apparently understanding. "I keep going because of my family."

Curiosity got the better of him. "What happened to them?"

Sadness filled her eyes. "They were killed by an evil demon. I saw him do it too. I only survived because another demon found me and ran off with me in her arms. She protected me. I later returned and buried my family with her help and trained myself the best I could to become a true miko. My mother was one and my father a demon exterminator. That is why I don't fear demons and why I helped you. I know from my parents how to defeat them, but I learned from that one demon that not all are evil."

In that one moment, he knew a lot more about her, even from the things she did not say. "Who was this demon that attacked your family?"

"I remember another demon by his side called him Natas. I hadn't heard of him before, nor have I heard anything since."

'Natas? The name sounds familiar, but from where?' He shook his head and stood up. "Come. It's late and the demons could easily attack."

She smiled and looked up at him. "Why do you care whether they get me or not?"

"I shall be the one to kill you when I decided. No other demon shall get the chance."

"I see. So until you decided to kill me, you'll make sure nothing else gets to." She got up and faced him. "I understand."

As they walked back to the shrine, she spoke one last thing. "I find you as one of the good kind."

He turned to her. "Don't be foolish. All demons are bad. Some just have good moments."

"Nonetheless, I see you as good."

They walked the rest of the way in silence.

~*~Reviews sooooooo welcomed! Any comments or questions, click that little button down there. Ja ne! ~*~