Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Silverfox and the Youko ❯ New rivals ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own YuYu Hakusho, but Suukue, Serenia, and Keiana are mine.


Ch.10: New Rivals

* I wonder if I should just keep the genko after I slay the Youko. If I take her and run off, I'll have good omen for as long as I have her.* The Inu-youkai thought as he observed the genko and the youko enter the forest of the cat-demon clan.

Suukue was the inu-youkai hired to capture the genko and slay the youko for a band of hunter demons who couldn't do it themselves. The thought made the inu-youkai chuckle. He was tall and finely featured with long white hair and velvety-purple eyes. He wore a blue and white fighting uniform (Like a combination Kurama wears and what they wear in Ranma1/2 ) Suukue made up his mind. He would attack the foxes tonight and take the genko for himself.

*************************************************************** ***************

"I smell cats." Kurama said as he pointed his nose upwind. They had both returned to human form. The word 'cats' struck a nerve in Keiana not only because she use to have one, but because of what Kuronue had told her prior to this day. She let out a soft chuckle as Kurama stood atop an old mossy log trying to figure out where to go from there. He looked back down at her almost as if to glare. Keiana saw his expression and justified herself.

"Kuronue wanted me to make sure you didn't fall for Serenia." she said with a small smile.

"And why would you care?" Kurama replied with a small grin. Keiana raised an eyebrow.

"Hey look, a cat!" Kurama pointed just beyond a tree. The cat look startled at the two foxes and ran the opposite direction.

"Follow it." Kurama said, certain that it would lead them to the rest of the neko-youkai.

They stumbled onto a village like community with huts and road ways. Cats and humanoid cat demons roamed the place doing everyday businesses and cat things. Keiana winced as she witnessed one cat snatch a small animal straight off the ground and slurp it up like spaghetti. Then one cat came up to them. She had short orange hair with light orange highlights and yellow eyes with incredible slitted pupils.

"You're not cats are you." she said as she walked up to them.

"Well aren't you just brilliant." replied a sassy Kurama.

"Is Serenia amongst you're clan?" he asked cutting to the point.

"That would be me, hot stuff." she replied putting her hands on her hips.

"Is this your mate?" she asked giving Keiana the dirtiest look. Though it would have probably been good if he said yes, he didn't think that this cat would be hard to shake off.

"Iie, she's just a comrade." he said. The way he said that was kind of cold, Keiana thought.

"Oh, really? So you're available." Serenia replied.

"Only to those few, whom I have yet to meet."

"Maybe there's one closer than you think."

"Perhaps that one has me mistaken for someone who really gives a crap about them."

"Whoa, how long have you been waiting to say that one, hot stuff?"

"Ever since you gave me the cue." They exchanged glares. Keiana was impressed by his way with words and joined in his mad-dogging by smirking at the cat who had nothing left to say. Serenia took it in her paws to end it right there.

"So, why have you dogs intruded on my territory?" she said quickly and crossed her arms.

"We came in search of the rat who could tell us were this is." he said as he recovered a scroll from his sash, being sure to emphasize on the word 'rat'. She haughtily snatched the scroll from him with beastly eyes meeting his chilly glare. Keiana could feel this tension between them, especially from Serenia which made her shudder, and for the first time, she clutched one hand onto Kurama's wrist for the feeling of security. Kurama looked down at Keiana astonished at her sudden relflex. Her face felt hot with blush as she realized what she was doing and she hastily let go of him.

"So, you want to retrieve the White Rose Katana." Serenia said almost surprised like.

"So that's the sacred item, huh?" Kurama said.

"Yup, and many have perished trying to get a hold of it, but if you can get it then you're more perfect of a mate for me more than you are now, that's for sure." she said.

"Where do we go to get it?" he asked

"You have to go to The Temple of the Oni's (ogres) and defeat all of the 3 major oni in order to get to the Katana. The temple is just 500 kilometers west of here, if you go at a high constant speed then you should get there in less than 2 hours. There's the Oni of strength, endurance and smarts. If you cannot beat just one of them, then you die." she explained.

"They would be wrong to underestimate me." Kurama grinned.

"Uh-huh, and I'm assuming that you're genko is the goody-two-shoe of the two of you because you have to be 'pure of heart' to control the katana. You, hot stuff, are anything but that." Serenia concluded.

"Well, that's all the use I have for you, neko. Don't break a claw now." he ended as he and Keiana began to depart from the village.

"For you I shall not!" she yelled after him. He ignored it.