Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Silverfox and the Youko ❯ A new task ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not YuYu Hakusho or anything like that, but Keiana is mine. Serenia will probably be in the next chap. If you're wondering. Okay here's chapter nine.


Ch.9: A new task

The hunter had no idea that he was also being hunted... well, figuratively. Kurama (in fox form) had been watching from a large sapling just a few yards behind the hunter. Kurama's actions were triggered by the sound of a click from the hunter's shotgun. The hunter's mouth made weird shapes as he soon realized that he was being attacked by something. He soon realized that this something was another fox, a rather intelligent fox to be able to attack the hunter from behind without him having the slightest clue. The white fox ran from the brush and into the clearing where the highly prized silverfox stood clueless, seemingly talking to something high in the trees. Then the two foxes ran after a shot was fired at them, then something flew out of the trees. The fruit bat, or flying fox, was what the silverfox was talking to.

"Three foxes." the hunter whispered. He then bolted out of the bush to catch up to the animals.

(Kuronue's species has no relation to foxes. He's a bat and that's it, but in America, at least, we call them flying foxes{I'm not sure if they do in japan}, but in japan 3 foxes usually mean disaster. Genko means 'black fox' which normally mean good omen and a white fox means calamity. Just thought you'd like to know this.)

***************************************************************** *************

"I thought you weren't going with us Kuronue." Kurama barked at the bat who was flying above the high tailing foxes.

"I'm not. I just wanted to make sure you got outta here okay." Kuronue screeched. Then another shot was heard. The bullet almost hit Keiana's hind leg and she let out a yip.

"Seeing that you two are fine, I'm going to teach that hunter a thing or two. Good luck!" He screeched and made a large u-turn back toward the darkening skies as he broke away from the foxes.

***************************************************************** *************

They had run for only a few miles and Keiana was already starting to feel fatigues setting in. She was tired, scared, and hungry. She didn't know what would happen to her in the future, but hoped it wouldn't be too bad.

"Kurama-kun, can we stop now, I can't go on anymore." she whined as she began to fall behind.

"What, We haven't been gone for two hours, and you're ready to stop, already?" Kurama growled as he began to slow down too. Keiana stopped to a halt, panting heavily.

"Gomen nasai, I'm just not used to this." she whined sadly. She felt as if she had failed Kurama.

"Damn, vixen. Have you ever done anything exciting in your pathetic little life?" Kurama snapped flashing his teeth to show he was agitated. Keiana flattened her ears and tucked her tail between her legs. She crouched down real low in a submissive position with her fur sticking straight up.

"Hmm... considering you did live like a miserable human..." he groaned, "that's gotta change quickly Keiana." Kurama walked then trotted forward to a nearby boulder where he perched himself on the highest part of the boulder. He seemed so elegant as he glided onto the boulder and scanned there surroundings to make sure they were by themselves she thought. She slowly walked her way to the base of the boulder where it's shadow was turning darker and darker as nightime began to set in. She lay down, but sleep did not come to her.

******************************************************************* ***********

"So, you got all tied up to a tree... by a bat!" the other hunter boss guffawed at the hunter who had a bad experience with two of his prey that same day.

"You would have had to have been me to understand what I went through with those animals today." the hunter demon said calmly.

" Send a dog." Another demon suggested. The boss demon and the hunter demon both gawked at the other demon. The hunter demon put on a straight face again.

"You know, that's actually a good idea. Any suggestions?" he said with a grin.

****************************************************************** ************

Keiana was finally being engulfed by a most deserved sensation of sleep, but was torn out of her sleepy trans by a long fuzzy snout nudging her head.

"Come on, get up. It's time that we get going." he urged Keiana relentlessly. The night was cool and calm. The stars twinkled high above like city lights in the sky. Crickets chirped softly along with the sounds of many other night animals. Then, the two foxes trotted into the night, seemingly unaware of the danger that stalked them.

A dog demon that was sent by the hunters had caught their scent. He knew that the white fox had been aware of his presence for the past few minutes, but they kept their distance from each other, for now. Both the inu and the youko were very strong and were anxious to duke it out, but the fact that dogs and foxes are mortal enemies held Kurama back. A percentage of fox deaths are out of battles with dogs, even though a good strong fox can easily kill a dog. The biggest reason for this is because dogs cannot be tricked by foxes that easily. A dog can see right through a foxes' disguise, usually given away by a fox tail that only the dog can see. However, Kurama was stubborn and egotistical, he really did not care if he fought a dog or a ghost (which are more powerful and dangerous than demons) But it was still an instinct deeply ingrained in his mind to have a fearfulness of dogs.

Keiana wasn't sure why, but Kurama seemed real upset about something since they re-embarked on their journey. Was it because she had to stop and rest so soon earlier?

"Gomen nasai, Kurama-kun." she whined downheartedly as she trotted to keep up with his pace. It took him a moment to reply.

"It's not you, at least not anymore." he growled. Keiana brightened up a bit and gained a sudden rush of energy.

"How come you seem so upset, It's making me feel bad." she asked. He directed his golden eyes square into her brownish-red eyes. He had a flattered expression you could even see on his smooth fox face, but then it turned impassive again. Direct eye contact was usually a sign of aggression, so Keiana threw her gaze to the passing ground in front of her.

" You've no need to worry about me. Just keep a steady pace for as long as you can and don't stop unless I say so." he replied with a growl. As they made more distance between point A and point B Kurama could see a green horizon under a black skyline. He concluded that they would soon come to a dense green forest, the perfect environment for cat-youkai. The foxes would be in the forest by morning if they kept up a good pace.