Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Silverfox and the Youko ❯ One of a Million Tests ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There should be a disclaimer code, like IDOYYH (I don’t own YuYu Hakusho). From now on that’s what I’m doing. XP

Chapter 12: One of a million tests

 “Listen, vermin, surrender yourselves to us and it’ll make things a lot cleaner and easier for all of us.” Started the dog demon.

 “You want us to just walk into your arms without contest, as if we had no choice? I don’t think so, dog-boy. I think you’re barkin’ up the wrong tree.” Growled Kurama, “What in the hell do you want with us anyway?”

 “It’s simple.” said Serenia, giving a seductive look to the youko. Kurama got into a stance.

 “You’ll have to fight me first.” He smirked. The dog and the cat returned the smirk and got into a stance as well. Keiana was like a lost puppy in the middle of a highway until her thoughts were crashed by the voice of Kurama.

 “When I give you the cue, run straight for those mountains off west and don’t come back for me. I’ll catch up with you once I get through with these two.” He mind-spoke to her. She slightly nodded with a soft grunt and stepped back behind him off to the side. Suddenly, a wall of ferocious giant, blood-sucking plants erupted from the ground between the combatants, surprising the dog and cat demons with their nimble yet strong vines holding them off for a moment. Kurama looked back and nodded his head once, giving the genko the right-away. She ran off as fast as she could despite the blistering heat. If anything, she’d rather be with Kurama, than alone with that dog or Serenia And if he felt that this was the best way to ensure that, then she would do anything

*********************************************************** ***********

Suukue and Serenia had finally got loose from the killer plants as they shriveled back into the dry cracked ground, then they realized they both had a tough fight ahead of them. Serenia would safely assume that she had a fighting chance with the dog-demon on her side, for no kitsune trick could out-smart a dog. But not only was the youko tricky, he was very smart too.

 “No fox can stand a chance against Suukue, the canine assassin.” Said the dog-youkai with superior arrogance.

 “Save it for the dog pound, Super-mutt.” Said Kurama, rolling his eyes as he summoned the rose whip. Serenia couldn’t help but scoff as she cracked her fingers, claws ready for action. Maybe joining forces with the dog was a bad idea? Then she realized the absence of the little genko.

 “Enough small talk!” yelled Suukue as he angrily dashed forth to land a punch on Kurama. Before he could get too close, the long thorny rose-whip snapped dangerously close to the Inu-youkai’s side. He dodged the deadly attack and went for a kick to the side at the fox. Once again, the thorny whip threw him off.

 “Damn, I can’t get a close up attack on him...it’s that damn whip.” Suukue Pondered as he landed a safe distance away.

 “Had enough already? How disappointing...” Kurama said downheartedly as he slightly lowered the whip.

  “My Turn.” Said Serenia as she held her claws up high. Surely enough, her sharp claw attack would be able to cut the thorny whip to pieces, even if the whip was capable of breaking through the hardest material. The cat smirked, and Kurama began thinking of a different offensive.

********************************************************* ****************

Keiana had been long gone by now. Even though she made it this far, her body felt as if it was going to give out and moment now. She hadn’t eaten in a while, and was badly dehydrated. If she didn’t find any source of water soon, she might pass out and not wake up. Despite the dizziness and nausea, the kitsune continued to walk at a slower pace, hoping to find some type of sanctuary soon.

Maybe that old well up there has something useful in it...” She hoped. As she neared closer and closer to the wooden ruins and the well, it seemed to take forever to make the last few steps. She knelt down in front of the well and looked in it. The scent of water was absent. With a sigh, she began to stand up again, but before she could make a single step the ground under her feet collapsed and scent her hurling down the entrance to an underground cave, landing hard on a cool rock bottom.

 “OUCH!” She shrieked rolling onto her side, holding on to the arm that hit the ground the hardest. The genko assumed her arm was broken, having never had a broken limb before. It’s probably safe to think so, since the pain was excruciating. In truth, the arm may have been badly bruised at the most. The tired kitsune laid there for a sec, before slowly lifting herself off the ground again. The air down here was cool, and the scent of water was very faint. She followed her nose a short distance before receiving an unexpected shock. On a high point in the midst of a mess rock walls, was a big white dragon, seemingly in slumber. Keiana tried her best to take slow steady breaths in hopes of not waking the dragon, for she wasn’t sure whether the dragon was dangerous or not and she did not want to find out. All she wanted to find now was the way out of this mess. Going only a few feet from where she landed made her lose her sense of direction in this place, for it was dark and almost everything looked the same. Deciding that the only way to get ahead was to get started, she took the challenge of getting through the tall jagged rocks and quietly past the dragon. Maybe there was a different way out, and if here wasn’t, at least there may be water on the other side. Then the best that could happen from there would be for Kurama to find her and get them out of this place and to the mountains. As the genko took a few more steps into the edge of the maze of tall rocks, the gravel-like ground under her feet made the most ear deafening noises. If heavy breathing wasn’t enough to awaken the dragon, then those first few steps into the gravel sure would. The dragon’s head rose with a long distrustful growl. It stood on four legs and spread it’s wings, then glided off it’s high perch with one flap of the wings. Keiana dashed into the cover of the rocks and stopped to see if he caught onto her yet as he began to fly over her general area. Deciding to make a swift break for the other side where there was a small cavern in the rock wall, she waited for the dragon to fly past. With every few steps, there seemed to be the base of a tall spiked rock structure in her path, so by launching herself strategically off each structure, she was able to quickly make her way through the mess of tall spikes. The dragon flew overhead, ready to strike once she came out the other side.

************************************************************** *********

Serenia charged at Kurama, with blinding speed. He caught her wrist with one hand, and took a step back to avoid being punched and clawed to death. She went for a kick into his stomach, but he agilely dodged the kick, appearing behind her with her arm twisted back behind her. The cat-demon shrieked in pain and used her other hand to try to punch him out. Kurama leaped back as the dog-demon tried to cut in with a round-house kick, barely missing Serenia’s head.

 “Watch it dog, that was my fight!” She growled at him. He ‘hmphed’ and turned to face the youko, who wasn’t standing where he was just a second ago. Suddenly, Suukue was knocked down to the ground by a quick and powerful force, then Kurama appeared on the other side of his two opponents.

 “You guys are a waste of my time. End it here and come back for a fight once you two youngins have learned something.” he growled. With that, there was a large ‘boom’ and then a giant cloud of dust. Kurama shape-shifted into a large white pheonix and began to fly away, high into the sky. Serenia and Suukue tried to chase after him but were held back by a mass of more giant killer plants.

 “Damn you Serenia! There’s no way for you to get that fox without actually killing him!” Screamed Suukue, who had then transformed into a giant white dog and tore at the plants to get lose.

 “Just shut up and get these things off of me!” Yelled Serenia, who slashed at the jaws of a poisonous plant before it’s teeth would penetrate it’s poisons in her bloodstream. The white dog leaped to her defense and helped her get lose of some of the powerful vines.

 “Let’s go, now!” He said through telepathy.

********************************************************* ****************

   Having barely made it into the whole in the giant rock wall, Keiana caught her breath as she examined a flash wound in her arm inflicted by the longest razor sharp fang in the dragon’s mouth. The white beast lurked around the entrance, as if to keep her from coming out and occasionally scratched at the rim with it’s long sharp claws. Keiana caught the scent of clean fresh air. It was the total opposite of the way this gloomy place smelled. She couldn’t see anything that could be the source of the wonderful smell, so she followed her nose to the place where it smelled the strongest. At the back of the cavern, near the ceiling, was a small flow of fresher air that spilled in through an invisible whole. The genko used a clawed finger to enlarge the tiny gateway to safety, then began to quickly dig her way through to the other side. Having assumed her fox form, she crawled through and looked up, heaving a long content sigh. It appears she did a lot of traveling through that underground hell-hole, for now she found herself at the base of the mountain and was standing in front of a small stream filled with water collected from perhaps all the way from the tip top of the mountain. Checking the surroundings for any more possible enemies...like huge dragons, she trotted up to the stream and took a few laps of water. After quenching her thirst, the genko looked up through the trees to see if there any sign of Kurama. There was none. Now that she was here, she figured maybe it was best to sit and wait for him.

Ok, that wraps up this chap. Here’s a preview to the next chap.

After a short rest, Keiana gets a rude awakening from a small group of ramped boar demons. Kurama is able to keep her hide from being chewed up and spit out, then they continue their way up the mountain. Serenia and Suukue are not far behind. Will they ambush the two foxes, or will their plans be cut short? o.0 You’ll see in the next chap...