Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ THE WOLVES OF MUSHIYORI CITY ❯ Beaten Hearts ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 9: BEATEN HEARTS
 
 
 
 
"So, Kuwabara, exactly how fucked are we?" Yusuke Urameshi asked as he and Kuwabara stared down upon Mushiyori City from their secret vantage point on top of the tallest skyscraper in town.
"Urameshi, I refuse to take you seriously until you take off that damn baby sling. You look like a kangaroo."
Yusuke looked down at his sleeping son in a harness attached to his chest. "Deal with it, jerkoff. I take this off and he wakes up you'll be in such a world of shit this demon invasion will seem like an approaching vacation. Now answer my question."
"Mitarai has managed to alienate about half his team and the others don't have that much faith in him."
 
Kurama placed two cups of cappucino on the ledge where the human psychics sat and wedged in between them while dumping sugar and cream into his own cup.
Kuwabara and Yusuke's dark moods were broken when the kitsune sat down.
"Bitch, bitch, bitch, Kuwabara. I'd rather listen to the newlywed here go on and on about how happily married he is," Yusuke said, nudging Kurama.
Kuwabara then duplicated his friend's nudge. "Come on, I'm not that bad am I?"
 
"As amusing as your banter is," Kurama said dryly, "I believe we're deviating from the real problem. That of the vacuum in leadership." He took a sip of his heavily sugared coffee and levelled a stare at Kuwabara. "If the Spirit Detective cannot fulfill his task it is up to his assistant to prepare him or find someone to replace him. This is a dire situation, Kuwabara and it must be rectified."
"Fine then. You lead."
"I can't. I'm retired. That and there is only one person I answer to and it is not you."
Yusuke broke the tension by making whip sounds. Kurama countered by pointing out that the former Spirit Detective was wearing a baby harness.
 
While his friends debated who was the most domesticated Kuwabara walked back to the stairwell when he felt a familiar presence on it's way up. He opened the door and waited for a tired psychic to limp her way up to him.
"You're still recuperating from your wounds. You should be home."
Hannah panted heavily and dropped next to Kuwabara. "I'd love to be lounging on the couch drinking a margarita while you cook me ramen but I'm missing my ramen chef." She scooted closer to Kuwabara and rested her head on his shoulder. "How's the fox and the thug?"
"The same. They keep saying they won't help but we both know that once trouble starts they'll be here. I just don't want to have to rely on them."
"Why not? It'll be like old times for you. The three of you could handle every demon that comes through without even getting your hair mussed. It's the logical thing to do, right?"
Kuwabara sighed and took a sip of coffee. "I guess. I should go for the sure thing....but as much as I'd love to fight with them again it just doesn't feel right. It's not fair to Mitarai...or to Yusuke and Kurama. I told that dumbass that I'd give him a shot and even though he's just about fucked the whole thing up I still think he can pull it off."
 
Hannah slid back from Kuwabara and pulled his head down until it rested in her lap. She brushed his wavy reddish orange hair out of his eyes and stroked his face.
"Kazuma, I don't know what to tell you."
"Just lie and tell me I'm doing the right thing."
 
 
...........
 
 
"I've never felt this way about a piece of furniture before. This couch is going to replace your mom in my wet dreams, Yu."
Seeing as his attempt at humor was failing Asato opened his territory and took control of the shadows surrounding Kaito who had been chainsmoking on his balcony to form a solid shadowy hand and pinch him.
To Asato's dismay Kaito answered with silence instead of a wacky yell.
Asato Kido grudgingly abandoned his reclined position on Kaito's couch to join his friend on the his balcony.
 
"What made you decide to finally get your back and legs healed, Asato?" Kaito asked without losing his blank stare into the night.
"You noticed, huh? Kuwabara hooked me up last night. With Yana out of commission I might as well step up. I feel like kicking that guy's ass that tortured him but he ain't getting any deader."
Kaito extinguished his cigarette before mumbling: "Pornography and samurai movies."
"Huh?"
"We must watch pornography and samurai movies tonight. We lost Yana and Kiyoshi. They're not dead but I'd hardly call the state they are currently in living. They both are suffering from self-inflicted catatonia. They risked their lives while we did nothing."
Kaito's meaning became all too clear once Asato put some thought to it. A psuedo-wake seemed like the appropriate thing for two men who lost their best friends...even if only temporarily.
"I'll get the movies. You supply the booze."
 
In the middle of rifling through his imported liquor collection Kaito felt the weight he'd been carrying grow heavier and adjourned to his bedroom where Mitarai had been lying down.
"How are you doing, Kiyoshi?"
Mitarai stared off into the corner but Kaito still noticed a glimmer of recognition in his eyes.
"You are a never-ending source of strife for me. Be that as it may, I'd rather not lose you. You have a lot to account for so I see no reason why you should exacerbate the problem by dissappointing me. Yes, you are a terrible friend but keep in mind that Kuwabara and myself are still with you. Surely we're not both bad judges of character. You can still make ammends and offer something...but only if you wake up."
 
Although too pragmatic to expect a sudden burst of recognition Kaito left his bedroom slightly disappointed not to have made even the slightest impact in Mitarai's condition. As he gathered the glasses and bottles for himself and Yana it dawned on him that what they would be doing would most likely be a wake.