Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ THE WOLVES OF MUSHIYORI CITY ❯ Pre-Apocalypse Jitters ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 15: PRE-APOCALYPSE JITTERS
 
 
Despite the aches, despite the looming catastrophe, even despite the dour goth sitting beside him Mitarai couldn't help but feel better than he had felt in years.
"What's up, Misses Pib?"
The goth continued feeding pigeons before kicking Mitarai in the shin with her pointed boot. "Will you stop calling me that?"
"What else should I call the head of the Psychis in Black?"
She rolled her eyes. "That's your name for us and I rue the day that you discovered our function in Spirit World. On a more positive note I hear that you will be leaving us soon. Pity. Later I'll mourn your loss by dancing a jig."
"Bull dyke."
"Mincing sodomite."
 
"Okay, now that we've got the pleasantries out of the way I need every telepath you can get your black nailed hands on. Don't worry I'll treat your people like they were my own."
"That's what I'm afraid of. Please tell me that Urameshi is coming back after you leave. We liked him. He didn't bother us."
"....Just get me a ton of people who can mind wipe a town and keep people ignorant and out of danger while I work. No later than three days. That's it, really. You may now go about your dilligent duty of convincing the public that you're covering up an alien conspiracy to cover the tracks of spirit world or whatever it is the hell you pibs do. Later, bitch."
"Goodbye, Mitarai. Whatever you do, don't die. That would just break my heart. By the way, I've been meaning to tell you that you are the worst Spirit Detective ever."
Mitarai mulled over her words for a brief moment. "You're probably right."
 
Swaying to a the beat to a song stuck in his head Mitarai met with Kuwabara who used his spirit sword to play with the tails of squirls running along a tree.
"You put in my notice with Koenma, right?"
"Uh-huh. Thanks for making me look bad. The worst Spirit Detective ever just has to be the one I trained." Kuwabara ceased tormenting squirrels and faced Mitarai. "Are you sure about quitting? Jokes, aside you're not a bad detective."
A few sarcastic comments came to mind but died on his tongue. "I'm not like you. I can't help people all the time without resenting them. In all honesty, I stopped giving a shit about the human race some time back. It was just a pain the ass job for me, Kuwabara. How about buying me some ice cream?"
 
"Well, I'll be damned! Hannah Shepherd and Yu Kaito! Fancy meeting you two here! And it's Sniper! Wow! What are the odds of all you guys being here?"
"You asked to meet us here," Kaito said.
Mitarai merrily sat down next to Kaito. "I'm just happy all of you made it on time for once. Bust out the maps, Yu. I gots me some revisions to make."
 
When Kuwabara returned with his ice cream Mitarai had him trace an approximation of where the weakest spots in the border between the human world and the demon world were. He then moved the circles indicating his allies and their psychic territories away from the highest concentration of tears in the border where the most demons would exit.
Before Yu could comment on the positioning of everyone away from most of the demons Mitarai spoke up. "Don't worry. I'll cover that area. There's something I've been wanting to try. First, though, I'll need you to use that dimension sword of yours to cut bigger holes in those spaces so more demons can get through, Kuwabara. I know, I know....just trust me and be ready to move in the next few days."
Kuwabara then decided to point out that the kekkai barrier wouldn't go down for another ten days.
"I know," Mitarai responded. "But the demons know that. Why work on their time table? It's important that we assert more control over what happens. That's it. You may now go back to your lives."
Before Sniper could stand Mitarai pulled him down by his jacket.
"Except you."
 
"You weren't just blowing smoke about being in debt to me were you, Sniper?"
"I kill but I never lie."
Mitarai pulled out another copy of his revised map and used his compass to draw another circle overlapping parts of Yana and Asato's territories. "Here's your new sniper's nest. Keep an eye on Asato and Yana. Mostly Asato since Amanuma will be looking out for Yana. Then if you have a spare moment take out a demon or two, but only if you have a spare moment. Now I suggest living like you've only got a few days to live."
Sniper smiled a disturbingly large smile and nodded. "You got it, boss." Just as he got up to leave he set a shopping bag in front of Mitarai who reached inside to pull out a brand new black Wu Tang Clan hooded sweatshirt, that Mitarai noticed was much nicer than the worn out t-shirt that had been damaged in his fight with Sniper.
"I owed you a shirt, remember?"
"Well, if you aren't the nicest sociopath I ever met! And since we're on the subject, just what is it about me that inspired you to kill again?"
 
Sniper collected his thoughts for a moment and Mitarai hoped that he couldn't think of an example. "Your utter disregard for consequences. At the time you were everything I wasn't and I envied you. I'm glad to see that you've put your problems behind you and that you can start living strongly again."
"I have no idea how I'm supposed to take that." Mitarai then noticed that Sniper still wore his Saint Dismas medal but made no comment.
"Thanks for the shirt." As Sniper left Mitarai once again snagged his shirt. "Hey, Snipe. Uh...me and Amanuma are getting tomorrow tonight. It's kind of a tradition, we just chat about, you know, once trying to commit genocide. There aren't a lot of people who'd understand."
 
"Sounds...not fun...but I'll still be there. One night of wallowing in guilt won't kill me. And not to be picky but genocide is the systematic murder by race or religion or ehtnicity or whatever."
"We wanted to wipe out a race, remember? The human one. Catch you later, Sniper."
 
......
 
"Amanuma, my man you are my new hero."
Yanagisawa's steady stream of compliments eventually wore Amanuma down but couldn't wash away the gnawing sense of creepiness inside of him as they checked into a cheap love hotel.
"Please tell me that you have the necessary...software, Yana."
Yana's grin that hadn't softened in the last two hours widended and disturbed Amanuma even more as he pulled out a dating sim cd-rom.
 
"Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sainthood wouldn't do you justice."
Amanuma took the dating sim from Yana and headed for the bathroom. "No, it wouldn't. You'll know when my territory opens and the game starts. Just...don't make a lot of noise, okay? And whatever you do don't go around telling people that I'm some sort of electronic pimp. Three hours. After that I'm dissolving my territory and leaving."
"Dude, you are the wind beneath my wings if this works out."
 
......
 
 
Using the shadows around Kaito's apartment to cover himself in darkness Asato Kido managed to be completely unseen...until the doorbell rang and he felt compelled to answer it.
"Kuwabara? Hanah? What are-nevermind. Just get in here and hide as best you can."
 
Asato managed to barely cover both Hannah and Kuwabara so they wouldn't be noticed. "Mitarai's on his way over," he whispered. "Yu decided it was time to strike."
"I always thought Kaito was celibate," Kuwabara said.
"That's the thing. I've known the guy for half my life and I don't even know which way he swings. Now is the time I get to figure it out."
 
"I heard the door open, Asato. You may come out of hiding now, as can whoever it is with you are talking."
 
Kuwabara and Hannah shyly smiled and mumbled an excuse about needing to train then left.
Asato could only look up at Kaito.
"I swing in the direction of Yu Kaito, Asato. That is all you need to know."
 
"You were always Mitarai's quiet defender, Yu. Yana may have talked my ear off but you said a lot just by putting up with him. Sorry I snooped. It's just....I don't want a friend of mine dating just anybody. Plus, I think you can do better than Mitarai...assuming that's what you were planning, that is."
Kaito softly nodded and went about dumping his dominoes onto his table.
"The time is hardly right. That's why I'm putting this off. As my friend the least you can do is lessen the awkwardness and stay to play a few games."
 
 
.....
 
"So...um....I see you're on the mend, Hannah."
"Uh...yeah, I still hurt, though. I didn't have to fake moan with you last night."
"And I didn't have to think of Mitarai to get me started."
 
Kuwabara and Hannah appraised eachother and found that neither could continue their normal banter due to their awkward departure from Yu Kaito's apartment.
"Want to go see what Kei and Kurama are up to?"
"Yeah."
 
"I noticed something," Hannah said upon reaching the street where Kurama's apartment complex stood. "You don't seem as nervous as before."
Kuwabara closed his eyes and smiled as he shrugged. "I realised that no matter what happens, no matter how many people are killed that there is no possible way I can lose the most important thing in my life. I know that you're strong enough to handle most anything that comes your way. The other reason is that even if you find yourself over your head I will protect you even if I have to personally stroll into the makai and slaughter every demon there. As crazy as it sounds Mitarai cleared things up for me. He said he changed his priorities so I guess I did too." He chuckled with a hint of self-deprecation. "Damn Mitarai....his selfishness is contagious."
Hannah stood on the balls of her feet and kissed Kuwabara on his cheek. "Let's go home."
 
 
 
 
.....
 
 
"That's bullshit, kid."
Sniper raised his head up from resting it on the bar. "I know it's weird but I can't help that it's true."
"Look," the bartender said, "I don't mind people who tell crazy stories and I don't mind people who come in and order a rum and coke without the rum but when those two things are mixed it gets my ire up."
"I swear I can kill a guy with a pretzel. With enough force you can kill anyone with any snack food. Force and accuracy are all you need."
"Prove it."
 
Sniper took a pretzel from the bowl near him and broke it into a small sharp point and aimed it at the bartender. "Just out of curiosity...you married?"
"Nope."
"I have nothing against making widows, I was just curious of there were any women that desperate out there."
 
He slid off of his stool and leveled his eyes with the shard of pretzel and glanced up at his target. He turned his index finger at an angle where the pretzel would veer to the left side and flicked it at the direction of the bartender creating large spider-web crack into the mirror behind him.
"I guess I missed." Sniper bid the stunned bartender a good day walked out while wondering why he angled his shot at the last second and attributed it to his promise to Mitarai to keep his killing to a minumum.