Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Thief Of My Blood ❯ Connection ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I am but a fan who likes to mess with the characters' lives.
 
AN: Italics in quotes are telepathic conversations.
 
Chapter 12: Connection
 
The next morning, Scarlet awoke and changed the dressings on her wounds that she received yesterday. Only Kurama had seen her wounds since they where the first to return and she turned in right after they got back, being exhausted and all. She still had the saddened expression on her face; it was like she couldn't remove it. Despite how she was feeling, she went back downstairs and entered the kitchen to get some breakfast. Everyone else was there as well. Hiei glared at her, but when he actually saw her eyes and saw how hurt she was, his glared lightened into a stare. “Hey, you all right?” Yusuke asked, noticing her expression as well. “I'm fine,” she said, but it was obvious she was lying. She sat down in the only available seat which was right between Hiei and Yukina. Kurama handed Scarlet some breakfast, which happened to be waffles topped with strawberries. Scarlet picked at her breakfast, not being that hungry. She excused herself from the table and disappeared from the room.
 
“What's wrong with her?” Kuwabara asked. “Hey, Kurama, you found her. Did she happen to mention anything?” Yusuke asked, looking to Kurama. Kurama sighed and thought about the night before. “She said that what happened yesterday with Kyo brought back bad memories. When I found her, she was visiting a friend's grave. I didn't get much more than that,” he said with a slight sad expression on his face. Everyone had the same expression on their face, except Hiei; he had his trademark expressionless face.
 
While everyone was trying to think of a way to make Scarlet feel better, Hiei walks out of the room. “What's his problem?” Yusuke asks, a little angry at the way Hiei's been treating Scarlet recently. Everyone dismissed it from their conversation and went back to their plan to make Scarlet feel better.
 
Hiei was just outside the mansion. He was thinking about Scarlet. Sure, he was pissed at her. He knew that she faked being controlled and it pissed him off. He didn't know the reason she did it, but it made him feel weak, and he hated it. Everyone else was able to keep control and yet he couldn't.
 
What Hiei didn't know, was that as he was walking away from the mansion, a particular female fox demon was in a tree nearby and could feel how upset he was. She didn't read his mind or anything, she could just feel his emotions; they where that strong. Hiei might not show that he's feeling anything, but Scarlet was empathic; she could feel other's emotions but she didn't necessarily feel them as her own, but she could if she wanted to. She didn't want to show herself to Hiei, not with him in this mood. Last thing she wanted was to fight him. “Wanna talk about it?” she asked him telepathically.
 
Hiei was a bit surprised to hear Scarlet's voice, then he remembered she was telepathic it. “Get out of my head, baka onna,” he replied coldly. “Hiei, what's wrong?”
 
“Nothing's wrong. Now leave me alone.”
 
“I'm empathic, Hiei. I can feel your anger and frustration. This has to do with what happened yesterday with Kyo, doesn't it?” Hiei didn't even bother acknowledging the question, but he did look around for where Scarlet was, an angry expression on his face. “I'll take that as a yes. Hiei, you don't need to be so upset.”
 
“Shut up.”
 
“Hiei...”
 
“I said shut up!”
 
“God dammit, Hiei! Kyo had an advantage over you! Because of your Jagan eye!” Hiei's eyes grew wide, “What are you talking about?”
 
“Kyo's a pure psychic demon. As I'm sure you're aware, there aren't many of them left. You're Jagan eye allows him to gain easy access to your mind.” Hiei growled in annoyance. His greatest strength was now his greatest weakness. “Hiei, I can help you so Kyo can't take control of you.
 
“I don't need your help, baka onna.”
 
“Hiei, it's not a sign of weakness to ask for help.” Hiei didn't answer. He was too proud to ask for help, but he also wanted to make Kyo pay for taking control of him, and he couldn't do that if Kyo kept taking control of him. “We don't have to tell the others. This will be between us, Hiei.” Hiei sighed slightly, “Fine.
 
“Does this mean you're not mad at me anymore?” Hiei was slightly surprised with Scarlet's question. “No, I'm not mad.”
 
With that, Scarlet hopped out of the tree and appeared behind Hiei. Hiei turned around and found Scarlet, still looking depressed, but a little happier than what she was in the kitchen. “Why so depressed onna?”
 
“It's not something I can control, I've tried.”
 
“You mean your facial expressions?” She nodded, “Think you can help me with that?” He scoffed a small laugh, “Hn.” Scarlet smiled a bit. She grabbed Hiei's hand and led him away from the mansion to a secluded area in the woods nearby. She signaled Hiei to sit down and he did. She then took off Hiei's bandana and imposed his Jagan eye to open. Hiei wondered what she was doing, but he didn't do anything to stop her. Scarlet placed her fingertips around his Jagan eyes gently and closed her eyes. Hiei's eyes grew wide as he felt his mind and Scarlet's become connected, like they were one. Hiei could see all of Scarlet's recent memories and feelings. The connection didn't last long enough to see much into her past, but he did see what happened when she found him those years ago.
 
FLASHBACK
 
Scarlet, who was just a preteen at the time, came across an adolescent Hiei fighting a huge demon. The demon was a higher class than Hiei, but he still managed to beat it. “Kurama's got good taste in friends. I'd hate to see him fight this guy,” she thought as she watched Hiei pass out. She ran over to him and examined him quickly. She gently picked him up and started to run to her hideout as fast as she could. She felt Hiei stir in her arms at some point during the trip, but she couldn't look down. She had set traps everywhere around her hideout and she didn't need to set any of them off.
 
When she got there, she wrapped up Hiei's wounds and then she pulled him to her. She was sitting against the wall and placed Hiei between her legs and wrapped her arms around him in a protective embrace. She could feel Hiei slip into unconsciousness; his body became limper than it originally was. She held him as close as possible. She felt the blood rush up to her cheeks and her heartbeat got faster. “He's kinda cute…” she thought as she blushed slightly.
 
END FLASHBACK
 
“He's kinda cute...” was the last thing Hiei saw before their minds separated again. Hiei blushed ever so slightly, to the point where it wasn't really visible. Scarlet blushed a bit as well; it worked the other way around as well. Scarlet saw a bit of Hiei's past, some secrets he had, including the one that answered Yukina's question about her brother. “Well, it's all set. Kyo can't control you anymore,” she said and got off the ground. Hiei stood up and stared at Scarlet, “What did you just do?”
 
“I joined our minds so you could have the same ability that I have. It prevents any type of control of the body or mind,” Scarlet explained. Just then, Scarlet and Hiei sensed someone coming. The turned their heads towards the presence they sensed and found Kurama walking over to them. “Please tell me two haven't been fighting,” he pleaded. “No, we haven't,” Scarlet answered. Kurama noticed that her depressed expression was gone, but she still seemed a bit sad. He smiled, “Then come on.” Scarlet and Hiei exchanged confused glances. “What's up?” she asked. “We've got a surprise for you,” Kurama said with a secretive smile.
 
~*~ There ya go, people. I made it longer. I was gonna put the little secret in here, but then it'd be too long so I'll use it for the next chapter. Hope you like it. ~*~