Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ To Come Back ❯ A Plan Carried Out and a Disappearence ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Kuronue and Shi-san were waiting for Youko and Kei at the gate of the hide out. Youko and Kei walked out of the hide out side by side but they looked as if nothing happened. Kei had her shirukens and her throwing daggers strapped to her belt. Shi-san looked at her for the first time and said "So this is Kei." directed at Youko and Kuronue.

Kuronue nodded and Youko said nothing. They began to walk to Hashime Castle, Kuronue and Shi-san were in front of the whispering Youko and Kei. Kei was worried and said in Youko's ear "Are you sure about this?"

Youko smiled at her and replied with a very surprising message. "Don't worry. I'd die before I let something bad happen to you." was his reply.

Kei gave him a smile and looked into the forest. She couldn't tell him the truth, which was a forbidding feeling in her heart, one that felt as if something bad was going to happen.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

They four reached the edge of the forest in front of Hashime Castle. They hid in the shadows before Youko gave Shi-san the signal to move in. Shi-san slowly crept towards the gates, unnoticed by the guards. She quickly killed them and Youko, Kuronue, and Kei walked to her side. They all climbed over the gates and easily killed the guards that were assigned to the inner wall of the gate. They ran as fast as they could to the castle entrance. A few archers shot about a dozen arrows at them, leaving Youko with a graze on his left arm. He winced as they closed the doors to the castle shut. Kei ran to his side and said "Youko, are you alright? Let me heal that for you."

Youko gently pushed her hand away and said with one eye closed "I'm alright, Kei. Thanks for your concern, but I'll live."

He straightened and his guard went down for a second, which was his mistake. Kei saw this as an opportunity to heal his graze so she merely touched it with her finger, which was enough to heal the small wound. He looked at her with wide eyes and she winked at him, making him lose a smile. Kuronue and Shi-san looked around a corner and signaled that it was safe to proceed. They ran down several abandoned corridors before they reached a great vault, guarded by two ninja women. One to their right had long brown hair and emotionless, black eyes. She wore a blue Chinese-style formal shirt and black pants. A set of shirukens were strapped to her calf. Another woman to their left had short red hair and lavender eyes. She wore a fighting uniform and thigh-high boots. A long sword was sheathed at her hip. The woman to the right smirked and said "It seems that we have some company, my sister, Kine."

The other girl, now recognized as the sister, Kine, began to unsheathe her sword and said "It seems so, Ohishi."

Youko stepped forward and yelled "Let us pass!"

Kine looked at him with angry eyes and said "We cannot do that. You see, we are the Hashime sisters, the guardians of our family's treasure. It will never be given to anybody outside of our family while the both of us still live. Now, die, thief!"

Kine lunged at him with her sword in an offensive attack. Kei quickly pulled out one of her long daggers, stepped in front of Youko, and blocked the attack for him. Meanwhile, Kuronue and Shi-san began to attack the other sister, Ohishi. Youko was taken back a bit from Kei's protection and said "Kei. You didn't have to do that."

Kei smirked and said "How am I supposed to prove myself worthy of joining you clan?"

Kine interrupted Youko with "By dieing by my sword!"

Youko quickly summoned a deadly plant from the ground before Kine had a chance to attack Kei. The plant wrapped itself around the swordswoman and kept its branches around her. Youko pierced her heart with his rose whip. Kei screamed when she saw that Ohishi threw a shiruken at him. Youko noticed this and moved over, trying to dodge it. But it got his lower right arm, making a gash that almost reached his bone. Kuronue slashed his scythe at Ohishi and killed her while Kei ran towards Youko. She caught him before he fell to the ground and said "Youko! Are you alright? Say something! Youko!"

Youko wanted to respond with all his heart just to reassure her that he was alive but his vision went black and all he could here was the echo of her voice, calling to him and trying to hold back tears.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Youko woke up back at the hide out in his room with Kei waiting at the side of his bed. Silent tears ran down her cheeks as she awaited his return from his dreams. She hadn't noticed he was awake until he reached up to her face and wiped away her tears with his thumb. She gulped and managed to say "Youko?"

He weakly smiled up at her and said "Yes. I'm alive, Kei. Don't cry. I wouldn't dare die without saying goodbye to you."

She held his hand to her face and half scolded him and half said in worry "Don't you dare say that. You aren't going to die, hear me? I've put some herbs and bandages to your wound. All you need now is some good rest."

Youko remembered about his arm and slowly lifted it, wincing as the pain shot up his arm. She helped him sit up, using his pillows as a support. He tried to move his arm again but the pain was too much this time. His breathing became uneven and his heart began to beat a bit faster. Kei noticed this and swung her arms around his neck. Tears slowly made their way down her cheeks and she said "Youko. Please don't move it anymore. It'll only make it hurt even worse."

He slowly let the arm down and she began to comfort him "Shh. It's ok. No more pain. God. Don't die on me, Youko."

Youko placed his good hand on her back and said "Never. I'll never leave without you, Kei."

She stood back, put a finger to his lips, and said "Don't talk anymore. Just. go to sleep, alright?..."

He nodded and he fell asleep immediately. Kei watched him for a few minutes and then got up to leave the room. She turned back to him at the door and said "I'll see you in 15 years, Youko, my love."

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Youko woke up in his room and tried to move his arm again. This time, no pain shot up his arm and he felt better. 'At least it's healing.' he thought to himself.

He walked out the door and found Kuronue and Shi-san sitting on the couch. They both had confused looks on their faces. When they looked at him, their faces grew pale and they tried to hide their emotions. Youko simply sat in a chair and said "What's wrong?..."
Kuronue said nothing, he just handed Youko a note with a rose attached to it. Youko unfolded it and read it. It said:

My dear Youko and his friends.

I am not worthy to join your clan. I was not able to protect Youko from that woman. Therefore, I am out on a search for the Element Sword which I have hidden somewhere. I promise all of you that I will find it and come back. Youko, don't forget me. I will meet you at the Dark Tournament in 15 year's time. There, I will fight and show you that I will be worthy of your clan. I will miss you all, especially you, Youko, my love. I don't mean to break that promise, Youko. I don't want you getting hurt because of me. Everything will be clear when I explain in 15 years. This rose is a sign of my promise. Don't let it die. Keep it safe, Youko, and I'll come back, I swear. Apologies and tears from: Kei

Youko began to shake and a few tears fell from his eyes. He was so overcome with grief but he managed to whisper "Kei. How could you. break your promise?"

Shi-san tried to comfort him and said "Youko. I."

But it was too late. He had already run into his room and slammed the door. Youko threw himself on the bed and wept for his lost love. After a while, his tears stopped flowing and he sat up. He realized that he had thrown the rose on his table earlier. He picked it up and gently stroked the petals of the elegant flower. He placed it in a cup of water on his bedside table and from that day on, he kept the rose from wilting.