Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Torn Apart ❯ Traitorous Hiei ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Torn Apart by: Sakura

A/N I just noticed something last chapter, where the hell is Kuwabara during all this? *narrows eyes* Hmm... I knew he was up to know good! Damn you, Kuwa!

- - - - - -

(Yusuke's POV)

Kuwabara and I were over at Kurama's trying to get some information about what had happened to Hiei. I tried asking the youkai himself, but he was too exhausted to say much; I figured since Kurama had been there, maybe he knew something I didn't. He began telling me most of what happened, a lot I could already figure out of myself. But just as Kurama started with more details, the phone rang.

"Koenma?" Uh oh. I knew that couldn't be good. Koenma never used the telephone to contact us, unless it was a dire emergency. Kurama came back, and told us the situation. "Another mission. He wants us there now." So much for explaining. "He wants you to stay here, Hiei." That's it, more details, fox-boy.

Hiei scowled. "I'm not going to sit this mission out, Kurama. It isn't like Raizen," he sent me an icy glare, "is going to find me in the Makai." Uhh, Raizen was from the Makai, of course he'd find you! Though this screamed over and over in my head, I ignored it; if I said it aloud, Hiei and I would start another argument, and then we'd be late of the mission.

"What kind of mission is it? I mean, what do we have to do?" Kuwabara asked.

"Koenma didn't say much. Just that a gang of demons have been stealing important artifacts." Great, we were going to go play superhero while Raizen stayed home and practiced more telepathy.

- - - - - -

"Hiei! Hey, what're you doing?" The black flames of the Darkness Dragon were forming very rapidly around Hiei's fist and arm. No one knew exactly what he was doing- hopefully he wasn't planning on wasting his energy trying to hit Raizen. Especially at that distance. But, with a wave of his hand, Hiei turned direction.

At the group's surprised looks, Raizen said, "Don't you get it? Hiei's been under my control ever since you first entered the Makai!" He smirked. "He was wrong to say I would never find you here... Now, my puppet, go! Go and kill your teammates, or what you've come to know, as your friends."

Hiei obeyed; the flames of the Darkness Dragon now entirely covering his warded arm. It was hard to explain how Hiei had gathered enough energy to call the Dragon. Right before they entered the Makai, he was having trouble standing.

Just as he was about to release his attack, Raizen released his control over Hiei's mind. The fire youkai watched in horror as his Dragon Wave inched its way closer and closer to his friends. He was already weak, so there was no possible way for him to call off the Dragon. But what happened next surprised them all.

With another wave of his hand, Raizen called off Hiei's dragon, and they watched it soar off into the sky. Yusuke sank to the ground; he was relieved to be alive. As Raizen looked down upon them, his face was one of disgust. If he despised the detectives so much, why did he bother saving them from Hiei's attack?

- - - - - -

(Raizen's POV)

He was depriving himself of some much needed sleep; they all were. Yeah, that's right, all four of them. I had agreed to let my son have, what he called, a `sleepover', but only if he promised to stay out of my hair for a while. Besides, it was all about the parent-thing. If someone found out that I wasn't acting like a parent should, then Yusuke would be taken away. I licked my lips. [1]

Or worse. They would find out what I really am. What was I saying? That was impossible. No one was actually going to see me; not at this hour. I had reverted back to my demon form. My ningen form seemed to have a few complications- things I did not approved of.

My canines were forced to be shaped like the rest of the teeth in the back of my mouth. Flat. My long hair, was to be tied, therefore, the way I normally wore it -down- wouldn't attract as much attention; I wore my bandana just as I had seen Hiei wear his, directly under his bangs. Things just weren't as easy as they were when I was in the Makai. When I was there, I never had to worry about my appearance. I could look... however I pleased.

- - - - - -

"You think he's asleep yet? I wanna go raid your fridge."

Everyone turned to Kuwabara. "You didn't come here to eat my food, Kuwabara. Besides, Raizen doesn't sleep." The thought didn't escape anyone, but they were wishing that he go to bed. If Raizen was sleeping, then they could devise a plan to stop him without being overheard.

"It doesn't matter." The Tantei turned to Hiei questionably. "He isn't stupid enough to try anymore of his assaults."

"And what makes you so sure about that?" Kuwabara pressed.

"Hiei's body couldn't possibly withstand another assault. Raizen drains him more than the Kokuryuha," Kurama answered. Before Kuwabara or Yusuke could protest, he began again. "He won't try anything unless we're all together. While Hiei's out of the game, we're safe."

Yusuke looked at him skeptically. "I doubt that... I think I would know my own father."

Hiei scowled at him. "And we're over five hundred years older than you. We know Raizen better than you ever will."

In the next room, Raizen sneezed. [2]

"But he's still my dad. You haven't been around him as long as I have!" Yusuke started.

Kuwabara raised an eyebrow. "Urameshi, he just said..." And for a split second, Kurama could have sworn he saw flame surround the fire youkai's small form.

"By the way, Hiei, I told Keiko about Raizen..." The fire demon's eyes showed a hint of curiosity, but he kept his mouth shut. Yusuke smirked, and said, "Least I tell other people about my family. If I had a sister, I certainly...wouldn't be afraid of her."

Hiei's jaw dropped; Yusuke was talking about Yukina. He wasn't afraid of her...or was he. He shook his head- that didn't matter. He had been insulted by one of the few people he called a friend. Hiei stared daggers at the ningen detective, then in a second, had disappeared from the room.

- - - - - -

(Hiei's POV)

I was sitting in my tree in the ningen park, trying to forget everything that had happened that day, when an un-too-familiar face came and started calling my name. It was the orange-haired Kuwabara. It didn't surprise me when he began yelling threats at me; it was actually kind of amusing- it got things off my mind.

*Go away...* I told him telepathically. I smirked inwardly as he began searching around him for the source of my voice. "Up here." I pitied him; it was obvious the kid wasn't bright, but I knew he wasn't a complete moron.

He smiled at me with a toothy grin when he seemed to have realized that I was sitting above him the whole time. He pointed to his forehead, as though indicating he had received my message. I just rolled my eyes and leaned back against the tree. I nearly lost my balance when Kuwabara said:

"Oi, get down here. I wanna talk to you."

"What about? I don't have time to listen to you babble about Yukina."

Kuwabara had known for some time about Yukina and I, but I hated talking about it, especially with someone like him, so the topic was hardly ever brought up by anyone. True, I liked knowing of my sister's whereabouts, but having them told by Kuwabara was just idiotic. He never really wanted to talk about her; more like talking about himself and how someday, he and her were to be wed. Feh, he'd have to get my approval on the matter.

"No. No, it's not about that. Look, would ya just get down here?"

Sighing, I jumped from the highest branch on the tree. A ningen woman and her small child looked at me, perplexed. I guess jumping from high trees wasn't something ningens did often. I must've been right, because the woman ushered her son away, all the while staring at me in horror.

"Sit," Kuwabara said.

I looked at him curiously; almost angrily. I hated being on the ground. Up high is where I belonged, somewhere where I could tower above everyone; not like on the ground. On the ground, I literally looked up to everyone.

I sprawled myself on the ground facing upward. Kurama had said he had once gazed up at the clouds- seeing if he could make out pictures; he also said it was one of his ways to relax. I too tried gazing up at the clouds, but was unable to see anything but the clouds themselves. Kuwabara came and sat beside me.

"This isn't about Yukina; it's about Urameshi and the things he said to you earlier."

I felt hot rage building up inside of me. It was bad enough Kuwabara brought me down from my tree to talk to me, but now he wanted to talk about Yusuke. Yusuke was one of the people I didn't want to talk about for a very long time...

"What he said to you today was rude. You know, about Yukina and all. We all know you have your reasons for not telling her-"

My anger suddenly spread throughout my body. What the hell was Kuwabara getting at? He said this wasn't about Yukina... and then he says this!

"-but I have to know something. Why didn't you tell Keiko about Raizen? I got that you wanted to `protect her'...but..."

I sighed. If I wanted to get rid of Kuwabara, I would have to answer all his questions as truthfully as possible.

"I didn't do it for her. I did it to save my own ass."

I continued to look up at the darkening sky. The white clouds where now turning into ones of gray and dullness. A raindrop fell upon my face, sliding down my cheek. From another's eye, it would have looked like a tear from my eye. But Kuwabara and I knew better; if it really had been my own tear, it would have solidified into an ebony gem before it reached the ground.

"It was because of Raizen, that I did it. Why I told Yusuke that lie. I was ordered to by Raizen. If I refused... he'd..."

Suddenly a wave of pain washed over me. But this wasn't because of Raizen's telepathic powers. I knew he had the power to hurt me from the inside, but this felt different. It wasn't as painful, but it did get Kuwabara's attention. Or at least...I thought that's what had gotten his attention. That is, until he proved me wrong.

"He'd what? What would Raizen do?"

I flinched from the pain, but soon realized that it was subsiding. I let out a great sigh of relief. Remembering Kuwabara still hadn't gotten his question answered, I replied:

"He'd...kill me."

I wasn't afraid of death. Sometimes...I welcomed it. Un-oddly enough, Kuwabara took that more seriously than I did. I chuckled, and continued staring at the graying clouds. My eyes widened as I finally got a glimpse of a formation of the clouds. It was my mother...Hina. My smirk faded as I remembered the horrible day of my birth.

The clouds released their water, and it began to pour.

- - - - - -

A/N Wal-la! Finally finished... I wish I wouldn't have made this fic so long; school's starting on the 18th, and I won't have a lot of time to update. Gomen nasai. I hope this chapter interested you in some way, it bored me (and I'm being 100% serious). Review, please.

Oh, the ideas used for the end of this chapter, were `bought' from Identity Thief, yet again. And yes, I paid for them too. With my... "totally made-up, internet money". ^_^

[1]- No, Raizen is not a cannibal. What he did is just what evil people do, ya hear?

[2]- Do you ever hear, like, in the anime/manga, that when someone sneezes it means that someone is talking, or thinking, about them?