Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Unpaid Vengeance ❯ Unbidden Memories ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Unpaid Vengeance

Part of the Relations series

Me: Okay! Now that I have had sufficient amounts of caffeine, I can properly led up to the chapter!

Hiei: I think you broke the coffee maker. (looks at coffee maker that is broken up into dozens of pieces)

Me: Just get one of the others out of the coffee maker closet.

Hiei: Okay. (Goes to a small closet and takes out one of the hundreds of coffee makers in it) All fixed!

Me: Good, now read the stuff. (hands him envelope)

Hiei: (opens it) Last chapter, after a brief moment of humor from Black, the dragon, and the Idiot, a summoning flare in Kiru's energy freaked me out and sent me bolting for the just found compound. Meanwhile, in the compound, Ryudo had gone back to his old methods of Turkish torture. Then he got the news of our approach. Kiru, knowing that he had something horrible planned for them, gathered up all of her youki to launch a phoenix at him, knowing full well that she might not survive. (looks up at me) I will get to kill someone, right?

Me: You'll see.

Hiei: I hate waiting.

Me: Too bad. By the way, standard disclaimers, except on Kiru, Ryudo, Yoh, Taki, and the name `Black,' who are all my creations. Also the Phoenix of the Darkness Flame is a move of my imagination.

--

Hiei ran at the limits of his impressive speed, racing towards the compound. Cold sweat covered him as he felt Kiru's youki rise to meet the challenge of the Phoenix of Darkness Flame.

He knew that she wouldn't have enough youki to survive that summoning.

He ran faster as he remembered the last time she had summoned it…

-Flashback-

`K'so!' Kiru says, clutching her cloak around her, `It's cold! Why are we here, sensei?'

They were in the middle of a barren tundra. Snow whipped around them, driven by the cold, driving wind. Due to their natural sensitivity to cold, their sensei had determined that this would be a good place to build up their endurance.

Hiei had thought that their last training session was brutal-they had been taught the basics of summoning the Darkness Flame in a three day long lecture while floating via telekinesis, which wasn't his strong point- but this one took the cake. He doubted that either one of them could survive more than a day or two in these temperatures, let alone one of sensei's crazy, week-long training missions.

`Quit complaining,' the sensei said, `we aren't leaving until you have mastered youki-homeostasis.' At Kiru and Hiei's blank stares, sensei elaborated, `How to keep yourselves at proper temperatures no matter your environment by using youki. Now then, burn off enough youki to get yourselves up to a comfortable temperature.'

`What does this have to do with endurance?' Hiei asked, easily warming up to the point where he almost didn't need his cloak. Kiru tilted her head in question, also lost on what this had to do with endurance training, but pacified due to the fact that she was warm.

`Now then, I will return next week for you,' the two pupils blanched, `Your mission is to stay alive until then.' Ignoring their protests, sensei walked off. `By the way, I surrounded the area with wards, so don't try to escape unless if you want to get shocked.'

So they had burned their youki for days and days, doing little more than talking for fear that they would exhaust their energy supplies.

Not that Hiei had had a problem with that talking. He had learned a lot about her during that time- not that that made her any less of an enigma though. In fact, that week had been the one that had made him realize that he loved her.

They took turns sleeping and keeping watch, knowing they were vulnerable to attack, should someone approach. Everything had gone fine- until the day before sensei was due to pick them up.

They were attacked by a small group of ice demons, who were pissed at the presence of the two young fire demons on their territory. Hiei hadn't liked the odds- it was two to nine.

`Hiei!' Kiru called as he was frozen to the ground by one of the attacks. He growled at the demon who had attacked him and thrown his katana at it, efficiently killing it and another who was standing nearby the first.

`Two down!' Hiei called, still frozen to the ground, `Better go to defensive while we think of a way to do this!' Kiru nodded and turned her attention back to defending herself and her soon-to-be lover.

She dodged an icicle arrow, trying to think of a way to get them out of this sticky situation. Damn it! There has got to be a way to do this! She reviewed her barrage of techniques. Sensei must have taught us something!!! Think, Kiru, think!!!

She received her drastic idea when she was caught on the shoulder by an energy blast from one of the demons. Wait! That's it! Energy! This better work!

Holding her wounded shoulder, she summoned up her remaining youki and called upon the Darkness Flame. She launched a small phoenix on the demons, instantly melting all the ice in the area, including the ice trapping Hiei to the ground.

Hiei was paralyzed with shock. He stared at Kiru through the steam, watching in horror as she swayed and started to fall. He raced to her, catching her before she hit the ground, turned her over and stared into her pale face. Please, be all right!!

She was unconscious. He quickly searched for her ki signature and panicked when he felt only a small flicker, barely enough to support basic function. The temperature had risen due to the attack, but was quickly falling, and Hiei knew that if he didn't do some quick thinking, Kiru would freeze to death.

He quickly grabbed the bandages that were in her backpack and bound up her shoulder with some of sensei's healing herbal mixture. He grabbed their sleeping bags and put her on top of one, covering her with both sets of sheets, and lit a fire with his youki and the brush from some dead bushes that had been uncovered by her attack. Able to do nothing more, he simply sat next to her on the other sleeping bag and held her hand, praying that she would survive.

-End Flashback-

Hiei shook his head, remembering how they had barely survived. Their sensei had come early out of concern from the sudden flare of youki that had accompanied the summoning, and had been shocked at the scene. They had carried her back and Sensei had immediately treated her shoulder wound, and left to ponder ways to revive Kiru from her sleep.

Sensei had doubted her chances for survival. Kiru had stayed unconscious for a week and a half after, and had had fainting spells for a month after that. At both sensei and Hiei's insistence, Kiru wasn't allowed to do anything but rest and relax for that month.

Hiei had been a nut case during that month, refusing to leave her side when she was unconscious, and had made sure she didn't overexert herself, bringing her meals to her and forbidding her to leave her bed or her chair, unless if it was absolutely necessary.

Kiru had finally gotten tired of it and yelled at them both to stop or else she would do it again.

Needless to say, they had stopped, knowing her threats were always serious. After that, it had become lost in a fold of time and life had resumed as usual, but they had never returned to that tundra ever again.

Hiei quickly dispatched a few demons that were blocking his path, the first guard. Since he was, for a lack of a better word, angry, it took little more than a minute. He continued on, praying that he would get there in time.

--

Me: No Kiru this chapter folks! So sorry to any of you who are Kiru fans!

Hiei: There better not be. And if there are, they should take those youkai in the chapter as examples for what happens when you mess with my lover. (Fingers his katana with a smoking fist)

Me: Oh calm down, I'm sure no one likes her! Or else they would have said, `Gee, I like Kiru!' in their reviews! Not that I get any anymore though…

Hiei: (Looking chibi) Gomen, koi.

Me: (grumbling) Hmph!