InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love is a Fickle Thing ❯ Love ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Love is a Fickle Thing
Chapter 22
Love
Kagome took a breath and stared at the Bone Eaters Well. Neither Inuyasha nor Kouga had come back for her last night, and now, after she had gone to school and come home, they still hadn't come. Kagome had neglected her homework all last night in an effort to concentrate. The event she had been dreading. How do you look anyone in the face and willingly break their heart? It wasn't something she was looking forward to. Sighing, she hefted her backpack onto her shoulder and leapt down the well, the blue glow consuming her and sending her to the Sengoku Jidai.
She landed with a soft thump, and waited for a minute, wondering if either of her suitors would hear/smell her and come running. Neither did. Kagome shrugged and started climbing up the vines lining the side of the well. She hauled her torso over the lip of the well and heaved her backpack onto the grass, welcoming the relief. She looked forward, and her breath caught.
Inuyasha stood leaning on the Goshinboku. He must have smelt her, but he was just staring off into space. At least, she thought he was. It was hard to tell so far away. Kagome swung her legs onto the grass and slowly walked over to him. It was now or never. She stopped when her shadow fell over him, and calmly waited. Finally, he cracked an eye wider and looked up at her.
“You came back.” He muttered, looking away. Kagome bit her lip.
“I always do.” She said softly. She looked around. “Where's Kouga?”
“He went back to the wolf cave for now.” Inuyasha replied. “He'll be back tomorrow, he just wanted to tell them he'd be with us longer then he expected.” Kagome nodded.
“Ok. Um, when he comes back, tell him I want to talk to him? I need to tell him something.”
“Kagome.” Inuyasha said suddenly. “I'm sorry.” Kagome frowned.
“For what?” Inuyasha climbed to his feet and looked a her through a curtain of hair.
“The other day, at the cliff. I'm sorry for leaving you.” Kagome shook her head.
“Inuyasha, you have nothing to apologize for.” She said.
“Yes I do.” Inuyasha insisted. “I left you there after you tried to apologize. I shouldn't have done that.”
“I understand why.” Kagome replied. “You were hurt.”
“So were you. I left you there hurting, and with no explanation. I should have at least let you try and apologize again when you tried to.”
“Inuyasha, stop…” Kagome gasped as the hanyou wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into an embrace.
“Kagome, you know I don't apologize much, so please, let me get this one right?” he said into her ear. Kagome nodded against his shoulder. “I'm sorry for leaving you, and I'm sorry for being so distant lately. It's just that…I begged you to believe me. And you just slapped me.” Kagome bit her lip and nodded.
“I know, and please believe me, Inuyasha. I'm so sorry I didn't. It's just that Naraku…”
“I was afraid.” Inuyasha admitted, cutting her off again. “Naraku's done this before, and the last time he did, I lost the woman I loved, the trust of the villagers, and fifty years of my life. If it had worked this time…”
“I know. If Naraku had his way, I probably would have sealed you again.” Kagome said. “But I would have been under his lies to do that. Inuyasha, trust me, I would never do anything to you like that willingly.”
“I know.” Inuyasha replied. “You're not like Kikyo.” Kagome bit her lip and smiled wryly at the somewhat compliment he had given her. “You trusted me more then she did.”
“I still do.” Kagome insisted. “Inuyasha, you've saved my life so many times, in more ways then one. I trust you with my life.”
“How can you trust me Kagome?” Inuyasha asked. “I pushed you away so much, refused to listen when you tried to explain. Kouga loves you and would never do this things to you.”
“I know. But I didn't fall in love with Kouga, did I?” Kagome whispered. Inuyasha gasped, and Kagome clenched her eyes shut, waiting for his response. She got it in the form of him pulling back and cupping her chin, wiping off a stray tear with a claw. Kagome opened her eyes and saw him staring back at her, his eyes empty of the harshness of a troubled life. Instead of a hard look, she saw a pair of eyes filled with wonder and caring. He had never looked so handsome.
“I guess not.” Inuyasha murmured. “Kagome…I can't mark you like he did. I can't give you all the things he can. I can't even tell you you're the only woman in my life. But please, even for just a little while…stay with me?” Kagome smiled and shook her head.
“No. I don't want a little while, Inuyasha. I want nothing less then eternity.” Inuyasha smiled back and nodded.
"Anything for you, Kagome."
It was then that Kagome Higurashi, reincarnation of the tragic priestess Kikyo, time traveling miko of the Sunset Shrine, protector of the Shikon-no-Tama, received her first kiss.