Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Alarming Attachment ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Alarming Attachment

Summary: It was suppose to be a relaxing vacation, but for Ray it’s anything but. Meeting a girl called Asia who annoys him and dealing with Kai who appears annoyed with him, what’s a neko to do? And what is it that Kai is hiding?

Disclaimer: I don’t own the Anime Beyblade or any character associated. I do own Arista “Asia” Rainstorm. She is an original character and all likeness to people living or dead is purely coincidental. This character is not on based one anyone else’s character, again if any likeness, it’s purely coincidental.

Warning: Usage of a female OC. She is not the hero of the story, and the fic will not be centered on her. Any fans of OC pairings should leave now. Do not ask me to turn this fic into a Ray/OC or any other canon character/OC as I cannot stand such pairings. I have no hesitation in bashing my own created characters.

Another warning; I have turned a male character into a female disguised behind male clothing. The character’s identity will not be revealed until later on in the story.

----------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------

Chapter Eight:

Ray awoke from his slumber with a start, his breathing abnormal. He frantically looked around the room and noted that it was still dark, no sign of the sun yet. He just had a dream where Asia snuck into his room and tried to cuddle up to him on his bed while wearing the bare minimal of clothing. What a ghastly nightmare.

The sound of rustling sheets caused Ray to snap his head abruptly to the side, his eyes wide with fright, fearing that Asia was indeed in bed with him. However, he soon relaxed when he saw the comforting figure of his stoic captain lying on his side of the bed, his hands curled up against his chest and sleeping peacefully.

Ray felt his breath catch in his throat as he gazed at his sleeping captain. He was sharing a bed with Kai and he felt an almost giddy feeling appear in his stomach. He wasn’t sure why though. He shared a bed with Kai before, plenty of times as he was the only person Kai could stand for long periods of time.

However, this time it felt different.

Ray flopped down onto the bed with a relieved sigh but then his face screwing up moments later when he recalled the reasons he was in sharing a bed with Kai in the first place. His nightmare came true, well sort of. Asia snuck into his room in the middle of the night and tried to crawl into bed with him. Luckily, though he was able to convince her to take the bed herself while he took the floor. He then made a hasty retreat to the sanctuary of Kai’s room.

Any self-respecting guy would have loved to have a girl wearing a slinky night dress sneak into his room in the middle of the night and want to sleep with him. But to Ray, the thought of sharing a bed with someone that was as annoying, rude and whiney as Asia turned him off completely; especially the thought of waking up the next morning lying next to her. It made him shudder with disgust just imagining it.

But waking up next to Kai was completely different. No matter where they were in the world, no matter how tough the day or how rough the trip was, Kai woke up with the perfect appearance each and every time. While Ray struggled endlessly with his hair and the want to fall into a deep sleep again, Kai simply got out of bed looking ready to start the day.

Kai always seemed to wake before him; however, there were rare times where Ray woke up first. The first time Ray woke before Kai, he stayed still in bed and watched through one eye as Kai awoke from his slumber. First, he peered around the room while cutely rubbing the sleep from his eyes with the heel of his hands. He then gave a small yawn and stretched his arms over his head, arching his body almost painfully until he heard a crack and relaxed again.

From then on Ray was fascinated by the thought of watching Kai get up. He would often try to set his body clock a few minutes before Kai’s to watch him wake up. He wasn’t sure why he was so fascinated. Was it because that for a few minutes Kai looked normal, looked free from the burdens in his life?

Rolling onto his side, Ray propped himself up on his elbow and rested his head on his hand as he looked at Kai’s still form. He studied his face, noticing that had a quite delicate face, his nose sitting perfectly in the middle of his face, his soft pink lips parted ever so slightly an inch beneath it. The lines on his face were sharp, yet feminine as well. The skin looked soft and Ray had to bite his bottom lip to stop himself from lifting his hand to brush his fingers against Kai’s cheek. Looking at the four triangles just made that urge even harder to resist.

The longer Ray stared at the Kai, the more he came to realize that he might be developing a crush on the stoic teen. That thought came apparent when Ray wondered what it would be like to press his lips against Kai’s.

Kai suddenly murmured something in his sleep and rolled over to rest on his other side, presenting his back to Ray. Ray felt disappointed that he could no longer study Kai’s face, but then he noticed that Kai’s nightshirt had slipped up bit, revealing skin on his lower back…and a hint of the white bandages around his chest.

Ray frowned, realizing that Kai was still wearing the bandages, even in his sleep. And he recalled that Kai wore them when he was in the pool as well. Doesn’t he ever take them off?

He chewed on his bottom lip again, the fingers on his free hand twitching slightly with curiosity. Just a quick little peek wouldn’t hurt, would it? Not knowing what was bothering Kai was driving him insane!

His hand trembled slightly when he carefully grabbed the end of Kai’s overly large shirt and lifted it up. He bit down on his tongue to stop a gasp that threatened to pass his lips. His grip on the shirt faltered, but he held on as he stared at Kai’s back. Just as he saw yesterday morning, Kai had bandages that started just under his armpits and ended on the last rib of his ribcage. However, this time he wasn’t staring at the bandages, but rather what seemed to be under it. He could see the start of a huge and jagged scar that started at Kai’s right shoulder blade and ended a few inches under his rip cage on the left side of his body. Ray couldn’t see the full extent of the scar, as it was mostly covered by the bandages, but he could see that the scar was fairly old and fairly long.

And whenever Kai received it, how long ago that was, Ray was pretty certain that it would have been unbearably painful. Kai must have been incredibly strong to have survived such an injury.

Far from repulsed, Ray studied the scar a little bit longer, lost in a state of awe. But the longer he looked at it, the more he realized that this scar wasn’t the reason Kai was wearing the bandages. Old scars can sometimes be painful years later, but the way the bandages were situated around Kai’s body proved to Ray that there was another reason for their purpose.

Though Ray was starting to feel that he was becoming to understand Kai a little bit better, he was still frustrated that there was so much to learn about Kai. He wished to know more, but refused to intrude into Kai’s personal space anymore. He had already violated that space tonight, and he felt guilty about it. He just hoped Kai doesn’t find out somehow.

He placed the shirt back to its original place and settled back down into bed. He snapped his eyes shut when he heard Kai shift again in his sleep. When he opened them again after the movement stopped, he found himself almost nose to nose with the dual haired teen. His breath hitched in his throat when Kai’s eyes suddenly fluttered open to peer at him sleepily.

“Ray?” he murmured sleepily, his brow knotting a little, no doubt confused to see his teammate awake.

Ray swallowed thickly as his eyes trailed down to stare at Kai’s lips. The urge to kiss them again returning with a vengeance. “Hmm?”

Kai stared at him for a few moments and Ray realized that Kai is hovering between consciousness and falling asleep again. “I have secrets, you know?” he said, suddenly.

“Yeah,” Ray whispered in reply. “I know.”

“Does it bother you?”

Ray paused for a moment, only subconsciously aware that he was slowly lifting his arms to wrap around Kai’s body and pulled him closer against him. And the amazing thing was, Kai was letting him. In fact, he seemed to move a little closer himself.

“We all have secrets, Kai,” Ray said as he placed his hands on the small of his back. “It’s ok that you do as well. I’m curious about you and what makes you tick, but I don’t want to pressure you into telling me anything.”

Again, Kai stared at Ray for a few moments before giving him a small and tender smile. “Thanks, Ray,” he whispered before his eyes drifted shut and he fell asleep in Ray’s arms.

Ray also smiled as he tucked Kai’s head under his chin and rested his cheek on his hair. He pulled Kai a little tighter against him, amazed at how well their bodies seemed to fit together perfectly. It was like they were made for each other.

Oh yeah, he had a crush on Kai all right.

Then he fell asleep, that content smile still on his lips.

Ray awoke a few hours later on his back, with a weight on his chest. The weight wasn’t annoying though and he felt relaxed. In fact, that had to have been the best night’s sleep he’s had in ages. Suddenly, the weight on his chest moved and Ray really became conscious of his surroundings.

Blinking the sleep from his eyes, he gazed down at his chest and immediately saw a mass of dark gray and midnight blue hair. His eyes widened and he propped his head up a little. He soon realized that Kai was sleeping sprawled out on his chest, one of his legs between his. And Ray, for his part, had his arm around Kai’s waist, the fingers on his hand actually toying with the band of his shorts.

Oh shit, if Kai woke up now, he would kill him! Although Ray wasn’t ashamed to admit it to himself that it liked the closeness.

If only there was a way to wake up like this every morning.

Although feeling unbelievably relaxed and content in this position, Ray knew that he had to move, to save Kai the embarrassment of waking up in such an intimate way. So reluctantly, yet carefully, Ray slipped out from under Kai and sat on the edge of the bed. He turned around and watched Kai as he slept; taking a moment to marvel at how beautiful Kai looked lying there in the morning sun, his hair and clothes slightly messed up from the restless sleep.

Unable to help himself, Ray lifted a hand and carefully ran it through Kai’s dual coloured hair, surprised to realize how soft it felt. Almost like silk and it was a lot longer than he had original thought. His fingers trailed from Kai’s hair to touch his cheek, carefully caressing one of the blue triangles that adorn Kai’s face with his fingertips. His skin was as soft as he had imagined as well.

Amazing…

Suddenly, Kai stirred and opened his eyes. He propped himself up onto his elbow and looked around slightly dazed.

Ray inwardly cooed at how cute Kai was. “Good morning, Kai,” he greeted. “It’s time to get up.”

Kai turned his eyes to Ray and looked confused for a moment before realization appeared on his face and he nodded. He slipped out of bed and gathered some clothes before disappearing into the bathroom to get changed. Ray sat on the edge of the bed with his legs crossed and arms folded over his chest. He thought about getting dressed himself, but during his haste to flee his room last night, he didn’t grab a set of clothing.

That was pretty stupid but fortunately he had an idea to fix that.

“Hey Kai?” Ray said as Kai stepped out of the bathroom, taking a moment to stare at his choice of clothing. He was wearing a pair of shorts again, this time black and a dark blue sleeveless hoodie that made his arms look sleek, yet strong. Truthfully, he had never seen Kai show off so much skin before, not that he was complaining. Not at all…

“Could you do me a favor?” He finally asked as mentally slapped himself for staring.

Kai raised an eyebrow at him and tilted his head to the side in question. “What?”

“Do you think you could see if Asia’s still in my room?” Ray asked quickly, a pleading tone to his voice as he gave Kai a set of watering kitty cat eyes. He really, really doesn’t want to see Asia right now.

Kai’s face screwed up in annoyance before he sighed and nodded his head as he rolled his eyes towards the roof. “Alright, but how do you expect me to get in?”

“The master key, of course,” Ray said as he pointed to the key he placed on coffee table last night. “Asia used that to get into my room in the first place.”

Kai walked over to the table and took the key into his hand. He stared down at it for a moment before placing it in his pocket. He decided to hang onto this key, hiding it personally on his body so Asia doesn’t pull something like this again.

“Fine,” he said as he turned to walk out the door. But when he placed his hand on the handle, he hesitated and turned to give Ray an oddly annoyed look. “While I’m gone, I want you to think about what you’re going to do about Asia. This can’t go on, sneaking into your room in the middle of the night. That’s ludicrous.”

Ray sighed and bowed his head to hide his frustrations. “I know,” he muttered darkly. Truth be known, he doesn’t know what to do about Asia. He wants nothing to do with her, but how can he tell her without feeling like a jerk?

“I won’t be long,” Kai said before he opened the door and stepped out into the hallway. He paused to look at Ray sitting on the bed before he closed the door and headed toward Ray’s old room just next to his.

As he drew closer, Kai placed his hand into his pocket to pull out the master key but as he about to do so, the door to Ray’s room opened and the appearance of a very angry brunette greeted him as she storm out. Kai felt intense anger at the sight of the female, even more so when she had the audacity to frown at him, seemingly annoyed with the world. But most likely, annoyed that her plan to sleep in the same bed as Ray didn’t work.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?” Kai asked in a very harsh tone and his eyes narrowed dangerously. His hands balled into fist by his sides and he appeared almost ready to slap her across the face.

“Where’s Ray?” Asia asked in a demanding tone.

Kai felt himself bristle. “None of your fucking business.”

Asia reeled back in shock at Kai’s angry tone before she suddenly gave him a scathing glare. “You can’t keep us separated forever,” she told him as she stomped her foot on the ground in a display of childishness.

Kai returned the glare with one of his own. “I can try,” he hissed dangerously.

“I know he loves me,” Asia said in a haughtily as she stuck her chin out in defiance and pulled her shoulders back to make her bust bounce a little from the movement. “And there’s nothing you can do about it!”

She then spun around on her heel and stalked away, her hands balled into tight fists by her sides. Kai gritted his teeth and spun around as well. He hated that girl so much…

Well, at least he could tell Ray that Asia was no longer in his room.