Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Lost ❯ Hospital visits can help more then one kind of pain ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

OK PEOPLE! Here is what you've been waiting for, or I think (and hope) that you have…
Sorry I think is a little short…I don't know…what do you think?
I don't really know what to do yet… but I do know that its coming up on an end soon…one-maybe two more chapters…depends on what I can think of and what you readers want…So tell me!
---
CHAPTER 5(Hospital visits can help more then one kind of pain.)
Bryan woke with a start from his light sleep. He got off the floor-having switched with Tala hours ago- and moved to the couch. He lifted Rei up, turning him on his side once again, keeping him from chocking as he threw up into the trash can that was next to the couch.
“Bry?” Tala asked sitting up slightly in the chair that he'd been sleeping in just a moment ago. “What's wrong?”
“He's sick.” Bryan told him wiping Rei's mouth with a towel and then laid him down on his side. During this whole thing Rei hadn't regained consciousness. It was the third time that this had happened in the last 5 hours, and all three times Bryan had to turn him back onto his side since he kept rolling over onto his back.
Tala got up and sat next to him, moving Rei's bangs out of his face. “Bry?” Bryan nodded for him to continue. “What's going on?”
“He's sick.” Bryan told him again sighing. “Make sure he stays that way.” he muttered, then got up and headed to the bathroom to retrieve the thermometer. After getting it off the sink where he'd left it a few hours ago, he moved back into the living room. Tala was still sitting next to Rei, playing with his hair, his tongue clicking once again. Rei was covered in a blanket, cheeks flushed, whizzing as he tried his hardest to breath. Kai sat in one of the arm chairs, his pen hadn't stopped moving for hours, and Bryan knew that Kai was so far into whatever world he was writing about that he had no idea what was going on around him.
Tala looked up at him eyes slightly pleading with him. Bryan gave him a slight smile making a silent promise that he'd do anything to help Rei. He'd do anything to get rid of that look on his lover's face… that lost look. “Bryan, what if Rei doesn't make it, what if he dies… Kai's became too attached to him in the time that he's been here.” Tala told him looking back down at the half Neko-jin.
Bryan sighed catching the meaning behind those words. Knowing that Tala meant that Rei was family to all of them now, he didn't want to lose Rei anymore then either Kai or himself. “He'll be fine.” Bryan assured him sitting down on the floor next to him. “Go get something to eat.” He added knowing that Tala hadn't eaten in almost a day. He slipped the thermometer under Rei's shirt knowing that was the only way to get him temperature in the state that he was in.
Tala looked at him reluctantly but in the end his stomach won and he left to get something to eat. He made himself a sandwich and headed back into the living room, figuring that he could share it with Bryan. He stopped mid bite to stare. “Bryan?” He called, wondering what his lover what doing now. The blanket that had been covering Rei was lying on the floor along with the sweatshirt that he'd been wearing.
Bryan was taking off his shirt when Tala called causing him to pause to look at the redhead. “Go fill the bath.” Bryan ordered going back to undressing Rei.
Tala nodded even though Bryan couldn't see and put his sandwich and water on the table. He then moved to the bathroom. He plugged it and filled it with water like he had a few times already. He sighed wondering how high Rei's fever was this time.
Tala turned off the water when the bath was a little more then half full. Bryan came in with Rei just after, lowering him into the tub and kneeling down next to Tala. Rei whined trying to move away from the cold water that was adding to his already cold world. “Shh, it's ok Kitten.” Tala soothed picking up a washcloth and wetting it. He then moved it across Rei's neck and then his face.
“Tal?” Rei muttered dull eyes opening to look up at him.
“Hey, morning you.” Tala told him smiling reassuringly.
“Cold.” Rei muttered moving again his eyes falling shut.
“Yeah, I'm sure it is, but it can't be helped Kitten.” Tala told him, watching a small smile form on Rei's face at the nickname. He glanced at Bryan, who mouthed `106' to him. Tala sighed, silently swearing, this having been the 7th time that Rei's fever had gone over 104 in the last 24 hours. “How are you feeling?” Tala asked him.
“Bad.” Rei answered shifting once again his teeth chattering slightly. “Can I-I ge-get o…out?”
“Not yet.” Tala told him smiling slightly at least Rei's was awake now “We need to get this fever down.”
Rei nodded eyes fluttering but not opening “I-I dream-med of K-Kai.”
“Yeah?” Tala asked smiling as Rei's cheeks got more color from the blush that covered them.
“I drea-amed tha-at he ca-came for me.” Rei muttered moving his face away from the washcloth.
“He did.” Tala assured him running a hand threw his hair. Rei smiled, but it was replaced with a frown of pain when he tried to purr. “You'll feel better soon.” Tala told him taking the thermometer from Bryan. He slipped it between Rei's slightly parted lips and Rei closed his mouth on it.
Tala continued to use the washcloth to wet Rei's neck, face, and shoulders while Bryan went to fetch a towel. Tala took the thermometer out of Rei's mouth when it beeped, relieved that it read `103.2'. He let the water out taking the towel that Bryan had sat on the floor and wrapping it around Rei. He then picked him up and moved back into the living room. “He needs a doctor.” Tala muttered, sitting him on the couch.
“When the storm ends.” Bryan told him, handing him a new set of clothes for Rei.
“Tala?” Rei called waiting for him to put the sweater over his head, then laying him down with the blanket covering him. “What's w-wrong with Kai?” he asked still shaking slightly.
“He's writing.” Tala told him kissing his forehead. “Go to sleep.” Rei nodded sleepily curling up slightly on his side falling asleep again shaking every once in a while as Tala hummed to him.
“Let's get sleep while we can.” Bryan told him sitting down in the chair offering Tala his lap to sit in. Tala accepted the offer sitting down and wrapping his arms around his waist to hold the arms that were already wrapped there. He let himself fall back to sleep head resting against Bryan's shoulder. Bryan placed his head against Tala's letting himself fall back into a light sleep. It wasn't the most comfortable place to sleep but it may become one of Tala's favorites.
--
“Kai?” Tala called kneeling down in front of him. Kai didn't look up, not taking notice to him being there. “Kai?” he called again getting no response. “Baby cousin?” he tried watching as Kai blinked and looked at him in annoyance.
“What?” he asked, eyes wondering over to Rei. Bryan was wrapping him in a blanket, waiting for the thermometer that was in the mostly asleep half Neko-jin's mouth to beep.
“We're going to the hospital.” Tala told him standing up “His fever spiked again.” he told Kai looking over at Bryan when heard the beep.
“107.3.” Bryan told him then slipped the thermometer into his pocket. He picked Rei up glancing at Tala.
“Kai?” Rei muttered shifting slightly. Kai gave Tala a confused look when he heard it.
“He's been calling for you for a while. He doesn't understand why you won't answer.” Tala told him heading to the door. “Carry him.” Tala told him throwing a smile over his shoulder then sat down to put his shoes on. Kai looked ready to say no till Rei called out to him again. He went over and took Rei from Bryan, looking towards Tala as Bryan headed to start the car.
“I'm here.” Kai told Rei as he called for him again. He then went to the door where Tala motioned for him to hold up a foot. He did so and Tala slipped his shoe on then motioned for the other foot doing the same thing. Tala stood leaving the shoe lasses untied then opened the door letting Kai go out first, Rei's shoes in his hand. Just before he got there the door opened and he could see Bryan had leaned back to open it for him and was now opening Tala's door. Kai put Rei into the car, closing the door and moved around the car, not missing that Bryan was buckled up and read to go. He opened the other door and got in the same time as Tala, both closing their doors. Tala reached up knocking some snow out of his hair, looking annoyed then put his belt on.
Bryan pulled away from their place as Kai buckled up. Rei lay down with his head in Kai's lap. Sighing Kai wondered how he was going to get him buckled up now. Looking at Rei, Kai figured that it didn't mater; they were most likely one of the few that were out. Bryan was more likely to drive them into a ditch then for them to get hit by another car-that is if Bryan didn't run into a parked one mind you. Kai placed his hand on Rei's head playing with his hair slightly knowing that the normally a 20 minute drive would be closer to 40 minutes today because of the storm. “Tal?” he called, looking over at his redhead cousin.
“Yeah Kai?” he asked, glancing back.
“Sorry.” Kai told him, one of the few times that he could apologize was when he knew he was at fault. “For not helping.”
Tala smiled tiredly “You should be apologizing to Rei for scaring him off.” Kai looked down at the sleeping neko-jin and nodded slightly.
“Fucking snow.” Bryan muttered, turning off the main road to travel a side one. Add another 20 minutes to the trip and who knew, they may not even be able to get through to the hospital.
“This is the wrong place to live if you hate snow.” Kai told him, chuckling when Bryan turned to glare at him then went back to driving.
“Bryan try not to crash, we don't need more reasons to visit the hospital.” Tala told him leaning his seat back slightly.
“It'd get us there faster” he commented.
“True, but it's not worth the car insurance going up.” Tala told him, looking back at Rei. “He'll still be sick when we get there, without added trouble.”
“`Added trouble.'” Bryan snarled, slightly almost glaring at the snow and Tala smiled.
“He'll be fine.” Tala assured him, smiling up at him. Kai sighed looking away from them.
“Attention on the road.” Kai suggested, this time Tala glared at him.
“Kai.”
“Yes, my dear old cousin?” Kai asked watching as Tala's face got a dark look on it.
“Forget it, I'm not talking to you.” Tala told him crossing his arms and pouting.
“That's fine with me.” Kai told him, turning his head to look out the window. He knew that if it was important Tala would tell him eventually.
“Kai?” Tala called almost 20 minutes later and Kai looked at him knowing that he'd been right.
“I thought you weren't speaking to me.” Kai told him-smirking.
Tala glared, but continued anyway. “How much has Rei `grown on you'?” Tala asked referring to what Kai had said yesterday.
“He's like an annoying kid that always there.” Kai told him. Tala smiled turning back to face the front. He knew the hidden meaning behind that statement; he knew that meant that Kai couldn't stop thinking about Rei.
“How bad?” Bryan asked glancing back threw a glance at the rearview mirror so he could see Kai without turning around.
“Clean to writing.” Kai muttered, looking out the window again a small blush on his cheeks. Tala chuckled meeting Bryan's eyes as he looked sideways and knew that it amused Bryan as well. “Stupid brat.” Kai muttered as Rei snuggled his face further into his leg and Tala's smile grew bigger.
--
Kai hated hospitals; he hated them since he was little. To him they were evil-as evil as the doctors that worked there. What was happening now was just feeding the fire. Tala had filled out the chart with a half conscious Rei's help and had handed it in. That had been five hours ago. Many people had gone in since then-some of which had arrived after them.
“Kai.” Rei muttered, shifting to look up at him from his place on Kai's lap.
“Yeah?” Kai asked, looking down at him.
“Why are you mad?” Rei asked him, laying his head back against Kai's chest.
“Annoyed.” Kai told him, tightening his arms around Rei's waist. He glanced at Tala as the red head come back with Bryan not far behind.
“They said that it's busy today so to get him in right away his temps got to be 108.” Tala said, sitting down and placed a hand against Rei's forehead. Rei moved his head away, burying his face in Kai's chest.
“And 107.8 isn't high enough?” Kai asked, anger building.
“No.” Tala answered him with a sigh. “We even explained that he'd had it for almost seven hours.”
Kai gritted his teeth, trying to convince himself that the reason they hadn't called them yet wasn't because of what Rei was. Kai laid his head against Rei's and found himself wishing that Rei didn't smell like sweat but of cherries-like he usually did. That thought confused Kai because he hated cherries, he could never remember a time when he wanted something to do with cherries, not since he chocked on his first one when he was four. Yet now he found himself liking that smell.
“Kai.” Rei muttered again, looking up at him then back down. “Can we go home now?”
“Why?”
“I don't feel good, I want to go lay down.” Rei told him, giving a slight shiver and cough.
“We'll see a doctor soon.” Kai assured him, sighing. They had thought he was done coughing.
“When?” Rei asked, trying to move closer to Kai. Kai sighed; making sure Rei was fully covered with his blanket, and then wrapped his arms back around Rei's waist to offer what warmth he could.
“Soon.” Kai told him, glancing at Tala. Tala pulled the thermometer out of his pocket where he'd put it earlier and turned it on. “Let's see what your temp is.” Kai told him taking the thermometer and putting it into Rei's mouth. He shifted and stood up heading to the desk, Tala and Bryan fallowing. He sat Rei on the desk/counter, looking at the nurse.
“Sir, please get him down.” The nurse told Kai, not even flinching from the glare Kai gave him. “Now.”
“His temp is 108; we'd like to see a doctor.” Kai told him, taking the thermometer and handing it to him.
The nurse glanced at it, then handed it back. “We'll call you when we can.” he said, looking at Rei. “Now get him down.”
“No, I will move him when we see a doctor.” Kai told him, keeping a hand on Rei's waist to keep him from falling.
“Kai?” Tala asked, looking at his cousin “Let's sit down.”
“No, I'm tired of them ignoring us. Rei deserves help as much as anyone else here.” Kai told him and then went back to glaring at the nurse.
“You think that's why?” Tala asked, looking at Kai.
“We could be the only ones here and they'd still not call us because a rat in the gutter was sick.” Kai told him, not taking his eyes off the nurse.
“I'm going to call security.” he threatened and Kai continued to glare.
“Do it.” Kai challenged-a smirk. “Then we can file a complaint.”
“I don't know what the hell your problem is, but take it somewhere else.”
“I will, just get me a doctor.” Kai told him, glancing at Rei. Rei was sitting there, not bothered by the argument or to where he was, though he seemed to be having trouble keeping his blanket wrapped around him. Once Kai was sure that Rei wasn't bothered by what was going on he went back to glaring at the nurse. “Now.” he added.
“Fine then.” He said picking up the phone.
“Is there a problem?” a doctor asked coming to them.
“Amealia.” The nurse said, smiling at her. “No, I've got it handled; it's nothing to worry about.”
“Is that so?” she asked, looking between them, but her eyes stopped on Rei. “I'm guessing that's why you're here.”
“Yes, we've been here five hours, and this guy said we had to wait.” Kai told her.
“What's wrong?” Amealia asked, moving around the desk, most likely for Rei's chart.
“He was running a 107.3 temperature when we got here. We were told to wait, if his temperature hit 108 to say something.” Tala explained sending a warning glare to Kai. “Its 108.2 now, but this nurse said to sit and you'd get around to us when you could.”
“Karel.” Amealia said darkly.
“We don't have a place for him.” Karel told her glaring at Tala.
“Come with me.” Amealia told them turning around and walking away. Kai picked Rei up at fallowed, Tala and Bryan with him.
“Thank you.” Tala told her and she smiled.
“Sorry, I told them that he was racist, but do they listen-no.” she told them, chuckling slightly “If you don't mind it not being on a bed, then we can do this right here.”
“That's fine.” Tala told her and Kai sat Rei down on the counter that they were standing next to. Amealia did a full check-up, writing things down.
“Give me a sec to see if there's a free room, he's going to have to stay the night.” Amealia told them, leaving to speak with someone.
“I don't want to stay.” Rei muttered shifting to get down, but Kai moved in front of him so he couldn't.
“I know. I don't like this place either.” Kai told him and Rei smiled. Kai stared at Rei wondering what had gotten into him, why he trusted Rei so much. Kai knew that Rei mattered, but wasn't it just friendship?
It couldn't be anything else, right?
Kai watched as Rei yawned, wrapping his arms around Kai's neck using his shoulder as a pillow.
At that moment Kai realized that it wasn't friendship, that this wasn't friend ship, but something else. Something more.
He loved Rei.
---
Sorry again about it being short…or I thought it was…don't really know what to do yet… but I do know that its coming up on an end soon…one-maybe two more chapters…depends on what I can think of and what you readers want…