Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ scattered dreams ❯ a puppy named Luka ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ok, so you that you know, I did there ages today!
Rei: 18, Kai: 18 (19 in a few month), Tala: 19, Bryan: 19 (20 next month), Karsin: 25, and Luka (you'll meet him now): 22
-----
Tala and Kai tried their best to stay calm. Tala reach over and took Kai's hand in his, holding it tight. Kai glanced over at him, and then back to the road as he continued to drive. Two hours, that’s how long it had been since they had gotten the phone call. Fear set in, every minute it would grow. They kept asking themselves what would happen, if he was alright. Neither could think of what would happen if they lost him, what they would do.
Kai pulled into a parking space, taking his hand out of Tala's as he got out, locking the door, and then glancing up over the car at Tala. Tala gave him a shaky smile, and then they headed into the hospital. They asked where the ICU was, and then explained why they were there. The nurse seems skeptical but agreed to let them in, and they headed the way she said, quickening their pace.
As soon as the walked into the hall, the saw Karsin sitting in some on the plastic seats, holding Luka close to him. He was small, about Rei's height, maybe a little smaller, even though he was 22, almost 4 years older then Rei. He had misty silver hair that was a little past his mid back, and these big purple eyes. Luka as a skittish boy that was afraid of his own shadow half the time, unless you got him mad. His dad had beaten him, telling and convincing him that he was worthless. Karsin had fallen for him when they first meet, when a neighbor had called it in, not being able to watch it anymore. That was about 3 years ago, and they had been together ever since.
Tala and Kai didn’t mind Luka, neither did Bryan for that matter, maybe because he was a little like what the remembered Rei being like when they were younger. He had that way of seeing things, seeing good when there wasn’t really any there. Tala was known to call him huggable... but that may have been because he thought Rei was too.
Karsin was so outgoing and happy-not that Luka wasn't- that they made a perfect couple. They balanced well, and our boys just couldn’t help considering them family after the years that they had known them.
Karsin look up at them, his face full of worry, making him look older then just 25. He tried to smile, but failed miserably, placing his head back onto Luka's head. "Puppy, Tala and Kai are here."
Luka sat up straighter, looking over at them, biting his lips in worry. He stood up; dusting off the knee dress he was wearing over top of a pair of pants, his jacket most likely at Kai's. Luka often wore girl clothes, not usually dress, more pants. The reason behind was really unknown, but it seemed to make him feel better, more like he could be himself. Tala gave him a slight smile, moving over to hug him, burying his face in Luka's hair. "We don’t blame you in any way." Tala told him, pulling back to kiss his check, and then put his face back where it was.
Kai nodded when he looked over at him, giving a slight smile. Luka wrapped his arms around Tala, giving a slight sob as he apologized over and over again. Tala kept telling him that it was ok, rubbing his back. Kai walked away from them, moving to find a doctor.
"Yes, can I help you?" the doctor asks him as Kai stops him.
"I would like to know Rei Kon's condition." Kai told him, not going to play any of his games.
"If you are another cop, we will tell you the same thing as the other. Since he's a neko-jin, we can’t tell you anything." the doctor told him, and Kai glared at him.
"I'm not a cop, I’m his lover." Kai told the doctor, the doctor blinked, before nodding. He walked over to a nurse, asking for Rei's chart from him.
"Lets see." the doctor said as he walked back to Kai. "Shall we walk as we talk?" Kai nodded, and they started to walk back down the hall the way Kai had come. "He has a sprained ankle, quite a few scrapes, some stitches, a fever of..." he stopped to flip the chart. “…106 degree Fahrenheit. He also hit his head, thus the reason he's here in the ICU, we are not sure if he has brain damage, or if he will make it threw the night."
Kai slowly nodded as they joined the others, only them catching the last part. "What are his chances?" Tala asked, coming over to them, leaving Karsin to take care of Luka.
"And you are?" the doctor asked.
"Tala, he's with us." Kai told him, ringing an arm around Tala's waist.
The doctor slowly nodded, slightly shocked. "Its 50:50 right now, but if his fever goes down, it'll be 80:20."
Tala nodded, ringing his hands together. "Can we see him?"
"Right this way." the doctor said, turning to leave.
"Kai? Tala?" Karsin called, coming to stand next to them, an arm wrapped around Luka's waist.
"Go on home Karsin, we'll call in the morning to tell you what’s going on." Kai told him, getting a nod. Luka continued to bit his lip, not looking up till Kai placed a hand on his check as he stepped away form Tala. "Don’t blame yourself Luka, we don’t, and I know Rei wont, so don’t blame your self, ok?"
"O-Ok." Luka muttered, blushing slightly at the attention from them, a small smile on his lips. Karsin kissed the top of his head, and then lead him away. "Good-bye." Luka called back quietly.
"Bye guys." Kai told them, and then turned back to the doctor. "Lead the way."
The doctor nodded, turning once again, and lead them down the hallway to Rei's room. He opened the door with a muttered "Here it is.", and Tala gasped, pushing past him and moving over to Rei. Rei had a heart monitor, a breathing mask on, and an IV connected to him. Tala pushed a few of his slightly damp bangs back, smiling slightly at that, knowing that it took forever for his hair to dry. With the bangs out of the way, he could now see the white bandage on his forehead. Tala looked at the doctor questioningly, and he sighed.
"5 stitches on his left temple." he told them, and they nodded. Kai moved over to Tala, placing a hand on his back. Tala glanced at him, not being able to ever try to smile, then pulled a chair up and sat down, taking Rei's hand in both of his. Kai sighed, looking over at the doctor, who told him to call if he got worse and left.
Kai pulled a chair up next to Tala's, taking his left hand off Rei's and holding it in his right, then reach his left up to hold Rei's smaller hand between his and Tala's. Tala glanced at him, giving him a strained smile now, holding onto Kai's hand tighter. Kai closed his eyes, telling himself that he had to be strong, that he had to stay strong no matter what. His eyes filled with tears that he fought, wanting Bryan to be there to be the strong one, because all he wanted was to curl up in Tala lap.
----
Kai shifted, opening his eyes, glancing over at Tala. He had his head leaning against their hands that were holding Rei's, stilling keeping a tight hold on Kai's other one. Kai shifted Tala's hand to see the watch on it, realizing that he had fallen asleep about 2 hours ago. Tala turned his head to look at him, blue eyes full of fear and sadness, then turned his head so his forehead was what was pressed against their hands.
A nurse enters, giving them a fake smile, moving over to the bed. "He is scheduled for a cat-scan now." she told them, something in her voice telling them that she could careless. "So why don’t you two go get something to eat?" she suggested to them.
They looked at each other, and Kai removed his hand, taking Tala's in his and removing it from Rei's too. He stood up, pulling Tala with him, and Tala gave him a pleading look, silently begging Kai not to make him leave. "Come on Tala, let’s go home and change."
"I don’t want to." Tala told him, looking back over at Rei's still form.
"Umm... why don’t you go home and get him something other to wear then this hospital gown." the nurse suggested. Tala looked at her, then at Rei, looking at what he was wearing
"See Tal." Kai told him, pulling him into a hug. "We'll go home and change, and get something for Rei, then comeback."
Tala slowly nodded, agreeing to it. Kai lead him out by an arm around him waist, heading down to the car. They got in, and Kai picked up his cell from where he had left it, handing it to Tala. "Tal, call Karsin."
Tala nodded, dialing a number he knew well, listening to it ring. "Hello." A sleep filled, annoyed voice answered the phone.
"Sorry Karsin didn’t mean to wake you up." Tala told him, glancing at the clock to make sure that he'd read it right. Yep, the one in the car matched his watch, '9:58' on the dot.
"It’s ok. How is he?" Karsin asked, and Tala could tell that he was moving, most likely to another room so he wouldn't wake Luka.
"He made it threw the night, other then that, no real change. He’s in a cat-scan right now." Tala told him, switching the phone to the other hand and ear. He looked over a Kai, sighing when he say the far away look in his eyes. He reaches over and took his hand, holding it tight again.
"Three, right?" Karsin was saying, and Tala blinked.
"Sorry Kar, repeat that." Tala told him.
"I said that he'll make it threw, he's got to be strong if he can put up with you three, right?" Karsin told him, sighing slightly. "I'll let you go. I hope that he gets better."
"Thanks." Tala muttered, hanging up without a goodbye. "You ok?" he asked Kai.
Kai blinked, looking over at him, then back to the road. "Yeah, just thinking that we need to tell Bryan about this."
"I guess we should stop on our way back." Tala told him, looking back out the window.
"No, I’ll go after I drop you off at the hospital. They won’t let up both see him anyway, and someone should stay with Rei." Kai told him, parking the car in front of the house, rubbing his eyes. They got out, heading upstairs to shower. Tala showered first while Kai called in to re-schedule all their meetings. When Tala was done, he let Kai go while he was getting dressed. When he was done he went to Rei's room, going threw his drawers till he found his boxer and an outfit for when he got out. He headed back into his, Kai's, and Bryan's room, clothes in his arms. He pulled out a hand-bag and put them in there, then pulled out one of Bryan's large shirts, putting it in there. By the time he was done, Kai was dressed and ready to go as well.
They drove back to the hospital in silence, hand together once again. They got there, once again looking for a place to park, then did so. Kai grabbed the bag, and they walked back up to Rei's room. The nurse, a different on, smiled at them, telling them that they waited for them to get back before putting his iv back in. Tala and Kai changed him, then laid him back down in the bed so the nurse could put the IV back in. Kai had a strange thought of dressing a doll, and that thought scared him. Tala sat back down in the chair, taking Rei's hand in his, holding it. Kai kissed Rei's head, then gave Tala a soft kisses on the lips. "I'll be back later."
"OK." Tala muttered, placing a light kiss against the back of Rei's hand, and then placed his forehead against his and Rei's hands, placing his other hand with Rei's.
Kai left, getting back into the car and driving to the station. He parked, sitting there, trying to get he courage to do what he was about to do. He didn’t know how he was going to tell Bryan what happened, that he hadn’t kept Rei safe. He finally got out, and headed inside; telling the guy what he was doing there. One of them lead the way, and he fallowed down the halls, feeling like he was walking to his death.
He entered a conference like room, and found Bryan already sitting in the room. They left him there, a cop standing away from them by the door as he sat down at the table. Bryan moved his chair over next to Kai's, giving him a hug, placing his nose into Kai's hair, breathing deeply.
"I'm missing you and Tal and Kitten so much." Bryan told him, and Kai bit his tongue. "Are they going to come visit later?"
"Bryan." Kai muttered, and Bryan pulled back from him to look at him. He had heard something in his voice, and was wondering what was wrong.
"Kai, what’s wrong?" Bryan asked, pulling Kai's head up to look into his eyes.
"Tala and I had a meeting on the other side of the country, so we asked Luka to spend some time with Kitten. They went ice-skating, and Rei fell threw the ice. He’s in the hospital right now, and they don’t know if he's going to make it, not if they can’t get his fever down."Bryan hugged him again, and Kai let the tears fall. "I’m sorry."
"You aren’t to blame, or Luka." Bryan told him, trying to get a grip on what had happened.
"I feel like I am." Kai muttered. "And Tala's braking down, and I’m trying to stay strong, I'm trying. But, damn-it Bryan, I can’t! I don’t know what to do, and Tala needs me too."
"Tala will understand Kai, I understand." he whispered against Kai's head. "It's ok to be scared Kai, remember that, ok? And Rei's strong, he'll be fine, he has to be, he will be."
"We need you." Kai told him, hugging him, and then pulling back.
"I can’t be there." Bryan told him, sighing, pulling Kai back to him. "I don’t know when I can be either."
"I know." Kai muttered, tightening his arms around Bryan. "I'll see if I can convene Tala to come see you, I think he needs it."
"You do that." Bryan told him. "I'd really like it, and I’ll see what I can do for him."
"I will." Kai told him with a smile. "You always have a way of making him feel better." Kai added. "On a better note, Rei admitted that he loved us." Kai told him.
"I know, his songs say it." Bryan told him as he stood up. Kai smiled slightly, nodding his head, sitting back. As he looked at Bryan, he couldn't help thinking how orange was not his color. "Love you."
"Love you too Bry." Kai told him, watching as he was lead out of the room. He got up and headed back out to the car, getting in. He sat there, eyes closed, thinking. Not sure why, his mind went back to Rei's favorite song to sing. 'I'll be your dream. I’ll be your wish. I’ll be your fantasy. I’ll be your hope. I’ll be your love. Be everything that you need. I love you more with every breath. Truly, madly, deeply, do... [1] ' Were part of the lyrics, and it made him smile, realizing that Bryan was right. Rei had always been telling them that he loved them, they just hadn’t stop to realize it. He figured that Bryan had a lot of time to think now that he was where he was, and Kai thought that may be a good thing. He didn’t like him being there, but at least he wasn’t working himself to death now.
He turned the key, and started the car, backing out. He drove, seeing the area in a new way. He could remember doing things in most of the places he passed with one of his lover. He could remember going to the cafe with Rei, walking with Bryan looking for a birthday gift for Tala, ditching work with Tala to see what was new around town, going on his first date with Tala, his first date with both Tala and Bryan. He realized that Bryan was right, that Rei would be ok; they still had so many memories to make with him. Many memories that Kai wanted to make so bad with him, with the four of them together, that it hurt.
He turned and headed back to the hospital, back to Tala and Rei. He could go back and think about those memories later, he had that time. Once again he parked at the hospital, and headed up to Rei's room. He wasn’t to surprise that Tala was in the same position as he was when he left. He stood there, watching his slightly older love and younger lover. He sighed, telling himself that it would be ok, that Rei would be fine in a few days.
"Hey Tal, I’m back." Tala raised his head, looking at him, tear marks on his checks. "What's wrong?"
"He-" Tala stopped, letting out a small sob. "He's in a coma."
------
[1] Truly, Madly, Deeply by Cascada
------
I know it’s a little short, but I couldn’t help leaving it that way!
I only need 10 more reviews… which is going to be 46 reviews! Please don’t make be have to ask for them again, you all can give me 10 right? I mean, that not that much… and I know you are very loyal to me… or I hope you are.