Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ scattered dreams ❯ Aki ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Aki
---
Bryan sighed, sitting down in one of the hard chairs. Just yesterday Kai had visited him and now another visitor. He was hoping it wasn't anything more then Kai convincing Tala to visit.
The door opened and Bryan looked up. He verily registered Tala's red hair before said red head was in his lap. He wrapped his arms around Tala's, kissing the top of his head. “Tal?” His response was to hold onto Bryan tighter. Kai's words now made more since as to why he needed to be strong for their red haired lover. “What's wrong?”
“He's…He's going to die.” Tala told him.
“Kai said he still has a chance.” Bryan told him.
“No he doesn't!” Tala insisted. “He's in a coma Bryan! There's on a 20% chance he'll wake up! They might as well say he's going to die tomorrow.”
Bryan closed his eyes, sighing deeply. That made since why it was hitting so hard for him. Tala's mom had died in a coma after a car crash, and she had had a 30% chance of waking. “He'll wake up.” Bryan kissed his head. “I know he will. Rei's to stubborn to die.”
“That's what dad said too.” Tala shifted to look up at him. “But she wasn't, and Rei…”
“Will be fine.” Bryan finished. “Trust me, Rei's not going anywhere.”
“OK.” Tala muttered, giving in. He kissed Bryan lightly on the lips. “Let's go home.”
“You know I can't.”
“You can.” Tala insisted. “I can bail you out.”
“No Tala.” Bryan shook his head.
“Yes!” Tala told him, sitting up straighter. “You have to come see Rei!”
“I will when I'm out.” Bryan said with a sigh. “Its better I stay here.”
“But you may never get to see him again.” Tala muttered.
“I believe I will, I truly do.” Bryan explained. “And you should too. Don't give up on him, if you, Kai, and I do, then he won't have a chance.”
“There's a chance?”
“There's always a chance.” Bryan said, placing his face in Tala's hair. “Tala, don't leave everything to Kai, he's as scared and hurt as you are. Help him.”
“I promise.” Tala muttered, closing his eyes.
“Bryan, time.” The cop called. Bryan nodded, shifting to get Tala to move. Tala slide off his lap, sanding in front of him. Bryan stood, smiling at him, then kissed him.
“Look after them.” Bryan begged him.
“I will, I promise.” Tala told him. “Look after yourself.” Bryan nodded. He turned and fallowed the officer out of the room.
--
Tala pulled into his reserved space nest to Kai's. He wasn't dressed for work, but he figured that didn't matter, he could fire anyone who said something. He got out, heading into the building. He didn't acknowledge anyone as he made his was up to the top floor, heading towards the door on the left.
Kai looked up when he entered, and smiled. “Tala.”
“Kai.” He responded, moving over to him. He pushed the documents away, then sat down in front of him. “How are you?”
“Alright.” He said, laying his head in Tala's offered lap. “How'd it go with Bry?”
“I feel better.” Tala told him, playing with blue-gray hair. “I love you.”
“I know.” Kai said, looking up at him. “We're not going to lose Rei?” he said in a way that it sounded like a question.
“No.” Tala whispered, bending down and kissed his neck. “Is there anything you need help with? Anything you need me to do?”
“No.” Kai muttered, turning his head to burry his face in Tala's lap. “Do move.”
“I won't.” Tala told him, picking up a discarded file. He reaches over and hit the intercom button for the secretary. “Aki?” he called, there was some shuffling, and Tala figured her fiancé had brought her lunch.
“Yes sir?” she asked.
“Get me all the urgent documents out of my office.” Tala told her.
“Yes sir.” The blonde said. Tala then reaches over and turned on the lamp, bending the neck so he could read. There was a knock on the door.
“Enter.” Tala called, and Aki came in with a few folders. “That's all?”
“Yes sir.” Aki said. “Umm…sir-…” Aki stuttered, placing them on the desk. “Can…”
“What do you need Aki?” Kai asked, shifting to look at her.
“Can I…” she stopped. “Have tomorrow off?”
“That's fine.” Kai told her. “As long as you get that monkey out of my building.” He added, a hit of joking in his voice.
“Right away sir!” Aki said, laughing.
“And Aki.” Tala called.
“Something else?” She asked. “Besides moving the meetings.”
“First name.” Tala told her, and Aki blushed, nodding. “Lights.” He called after her as she walked away. She flipped them off, then shut the door behind her.
“Picking of Blondie again?”
“Yep, and when she gets the names down, she will get a raise.” Tala told him. “She works to hard.”
“We work to hard.” Kai committed and Tala agreed.
“Get some sleep love.” Tala told him. Kai nodded, allowing himself to sleep. “Sweet dreams my lovely phoenix.” He said, then picked up a pen and started to go over his and Kai's things.
--
Kai reach over, grapping the phone before its second ring, hoping it hadn't woken Tala. “Hello?” he asked, looking across the living room to see Tala still lying on the couch, not disturbed.
-Kai?-
“Hey Karsin.” He said, sighing.
-Bad time?-
“No, just reading some things for work, could use a distraction.” He told him, causing Karsin to laugh. “So, what do you need?”
-How's…Rei?- Karsin asked. -Luka wants to know.- he added.
“Tell him that's he's out of the ICU.” Kai said with a sigh. “Then move away from him.”
He heard Karsin do as asked, babbling about things he'd done that day as he moved. -Anything else?-
“He's in a coma.” Kai told him.
-WHAT!- he shouted just like Kai knew he would.
-What happened?- Luka's asked, his voice softer from being far away.
-Umm…- Karsin muttered. -Tala's not feeling well.- he continued. -Is he alright?-
“20% chance of waking up.” Kai explained, knowing that he meant Rei.
-Hope he gets better.- Karsin said. -Talk to ya later.-
“Bye.” Kai said, hanging up.
Kai watched Tala, counting his breathing. `14' in one minute, that meant he was still asleep. He sighed in relief. Kai figured this was the first time he'd slept in the last three days.
He looked back down at the file in his hand and started to read.
Kai stopped, rubbing his eyes, then reread it, and again. He sighed, sitting the papers down, it not making any since. He leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes.
“Kai?” Tala called. Kai blinked his eyes open, yawning. “Fell asleep again?”
“Yeah.” He muttered, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes Tala picked up the discarded folder, reading it once.
“Why do they have to make it so complicated?” Tala complained, picking up a pen and signing it. “They new computers will be dropped off the day after tomorrow.”
Kai sighed. “That's what it was about?”
“Sill having trouble with these things?” Tala asked, adding it to the stack of complete files that they had done since they'd gotten home.
“Your department.” Kai reminded him.
“What will you do if I quit?” Tala asked.
“Get Aki to do it.” He said with a shrug. “She's the one that taught you.” Kai pointed out, and Tala laughed.
“Then fire me if she'll do it for less.” Tala suggested.
“She may be able to do that, but she can't do everything that you do for me.” Kai smirked and Tala went red.
“That was once and your birthday.” Tala told him, glaring.
“I'm not complaining.” Kai said. “I've had you there, Bryan's had me, and I'm sure you once…can't wait till…”
“Rei.” Tala finished, grabbing Kai's arm. He pulled him up, then sat down, pulling Kai into his lap. “I know.”
“I forgot, just for a moment I forgot where he was.” Kai said, sighing. “Like he was sleeping upstairs, or helping Bry with dinner…I forgot…just forgot where…”
“It's hard.” Tala agreed. “To want to not think about it, but it's the only thing that's there.”
“Let's go to bed.” Kai said.
“We just got up.”
“So.” Kai asked, yawning. “We're sleep deprived.” Kai stood, pulling Tala up with him. “Will we see Rei tomorrow at lunch?”
“Sure.” Tala said, sighing. “Let take Driger with us.”
“Yeah.” Kai agreed, leading the way upstairs. Tala fallowed, holding his had. They entered the room, and lay down on the big bed, one that was too big for just the two of them.
--
“OH!...umm…Mr.…umm…K-Kai…T-a-Tala&# 8230;” both looked up from theirs menus, straight at their waiter.
“Aki, giving up secretary work for waiter work?” Tala asked, making a mental note to increase her pay.
“No, I'm helping Yushi out before my doctor's appointment.” She said, blushing.
“Is that so?” Tala asked, smiling. They both knew that it was Yushi's restaurant. “That's nice of you…so when's the wedding date set for? We'd like to come.”
“Umm…were thinking in about two months.” She said, a happy look in her gray eyes. “I'll make sure you're on the list.” She added.
“We need to get ready to look for a sub while you're out on maternity leave?” Kai asked, causing her to blush again. “That's what to appointment is for, right?”
“Y-yes sir.” Aki said. “Umm…I mean….yes Kai.”
“Congratulations.” Tala told her.
“Thank you!” Aki smiled. “If you'd like me to train a replacement…”
“No, we aren't going to fire you.” Kai said. “You can work till you 7th month if you wish…then come back when your ready.”
“But, that could be a year's time! Maybe more!” Aki protested.
“You'll always have a job as out secretary.” Tala told her, laughing. “And you feel that bad about it, then you can come back sooner with the baby if you can't find a nanny.”
“I'm not sure…”
“Don't worry…now aren't you supposed to be taking our orders?” Kai asked.
“Oh, yes! Sorry!” she said, walking off.
“Where…”
“I know them silly.” She said smiling, then headed off.
“I think we should be worried that she knows everything.” Kai sighed.
“That's what makes her so good.” Tala explained. “I'll ask Luka if he'd like to work for us during that time…maybe keep him on after to split up the work…ya know.”
“Sounds good.”
“Here you go!” Aki said, causing them to jump.
“That was fast.” Tala committed.
“We try to be.” She said, pouring them each a cup of coffee, sitting a bottle of honey on the table. “Enjoy!”
“We will.” Tala said. “Oh, and Aki.” He called, and she looked back at them. “Kai and I been meaning to tell you. You're getting a 3% raise starting this paycheck.”
“Really!”
“Yep!”
“Thank you.” She said, turning back around to leave. “It's on the house.” She added, and then disappeared into the back room.
“Damn, didn't even give us a chance to object.” Tala muttered.
“Maybe we should promote her so she can go to our meetings for us.” Kai suggested.
“Her and Rei.” Tala added. “They both got talent for it.”
“They do.” Kai agreed, starting to eat. Tala picked up the honey, adding it to his coffee. He preferred caramel, but this have would do. He then started to eat he breakfast as well. When they finished, they left a twenty on the table for Aki. If she wasn't going to let them pay, then they would leave her a big tip.
--
“Coming!” Karsin yelled, getting off the couch. He made his way to the door, opening it. “Hey Tal.”
“Can I come in?” the redhead asked, smiling.
“Well…”
“Kar.” Luka called, giggling, looking up at him. “Let him in!”
“Thanks puppy-dog.” Tala said, stepping in and kicking off his shoes. Tala sighed. He'd always loved their apartment. It was small, but had a warm feeling about it.
When you first walked in, to your right was a small closet, the other half of it had a pantry in it that you could get to threw a door on the wall of the dinning area. In front of you, and slightly to the left was a living room, and to the right was the dinning area. Karsin had put in a small island and a wall that covered all the area around it making a small table like thing between kitchen and dinning area. He had built a stove in the top and an oven inside of it. There was a curtain hanging in front of a small hall right out side of the kitchen door, straight in front of the front door. If lead to the bedroom on the right and bath on the left.
“What cha doin' here?” Karsin asked, plopping back down on the black couch.
“To steal your boyfriend.” He said, watching Luka threw the gap over the island. Luka looked up at him, bright red.
“What i-is it?”
“Well…Aki's -our secretary- will be going on maternity leave in a few months.” Tala said. “We were wondering if you'd like to come work for us.”
“What `bout when she gets back?” Karsin asked, giving Tala a warning look.
“We've been planning on getting a second one…so if he wants, he can start tomorrow.”
“I'd love to!” Luka said, sitting the last cookie on a cooling rack. That was another thing Tala liked about this place, Luka always had something baking. Bryan said that Karsin was always brining in things that Luka baked…and Bryan often brought them home for them too…
Luka came around threw the door and hugged Tala. “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”
Tala laughed, hugging him back. “You're welcome.”
Luka pulled away, looking up at him. “You-…You're not made about what happened to R-R-Rei?”
“No.” Tala told him, kissing his head like he would do to Rei to reassure him. “Never.”
“Thank you.”
“Now then…Business over with, how about a cookie?” Tala asked. Luka laughed, going over to the island. He picked up a napkin from the constant stack there and brought Tala a triple chocolate chip-peanut butter cookie.
“Umm…here.” Luka said, holding it out.
“Thanks.” Tala said, taking it.
“`Ka.” Karsin called, standing up and wrapping his arms around Luka from behind. “Tal's had your cookies before, he likes them.”
“You'll have to give us some of the recipes.” Tala said. “Bry likes to bake sometimes.”
Luka shook his head. “I cant, I don't know them…I just…”
“Its ok, Rei's the same way.” Tala said. “He makes some good home made ice cream.” Tala's phone went off, and he pulled it out of his pocket. “Yeah Kai?” he asked, knowing the ring tone: Last Resort by Papa Roach.
-Where are you?- Kai asked, a hint of worry in his voice. -I thought you'd be back by now.-
“Stopped in a Kar's place.” He said. “Luka, can I have a few of these to take home?”
“Sure!” he said, pulling away from Karsin, heading to the kitchen.
“See ya soon.” Tala told Kai, then hung up. Luka came back holding out a tin with about six cookies in it, covered in plastic wrap and a ribbon holding it on.
“You ever think of opening a shop?” Tala asked, and Luka shock his head no. “We may ask you to make something like this for the employees about Christmas time.”
Luka blushed. “I-I'm not that good.”
“I believe you are.” Tala said, moving to slide his shoes back on. “Think about it…see ya tomorrow.” He added as an afterthought, heading out the door.
“See ya.” Karsin called after him, then closed the door.
Tala headed out and to his car. He got in, putting the cookies on the other seat, then headed off. He pulled in front of the house, and turned off the car. He got his things and got out, heading inside. “Kai!” he called, kicking off his shoes.
“In here!” he called. Tala sighed, heading to the office. Sure enough, there was Kai. He walked over, sitting the cookies next to him on the desk.
“From Luka.” Tala said as he pulled his tie off, then the jacket.
“Did he except?” Kai asked, opening the container and taking one. Tala nodded, untucking his shirt as well. He glances at the calendar. “Don't.” Kai told him, catching it. “It's not going to help.”
“It's been 18 days.” Tala whispered, sitting down in Kai's lap, taking the last bit of his cookie and eating it.
“I know.” Kai muttered, holding the redhead close. “I want him to wake up too, but we can't make him.”
“I wish Bry was here.” Tala muttered.
“They solved the assassination of that senator.” Kai told him. “It was announced today.”
“So they can get back to Bry's case?”
“Yeah.”
“He'll be home soon?”
“I believe so.”
“And Rei?”
“What do you think?”
“He'll wake up.” Tala said, smiling at him.
“Soon.” Kai added.
“Soon.” Tala agreed, once again looking at the calendar.
On the other side of town Bryan was thinking the same thing as a hand twitched elsewhere in town.
 
TBC