Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Growing Up ❯ Chapter 1: Problem in the 10th division ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Growing up
Serie: Bleach
Warning: Shounen-ai / Yaoi
Note: Before you ask, what happens he is after Soul Society and the current arc. Aizen is yet to be defeated, but Hinamori is out of her coma, and NOT dating Hitsugaya. If I'm correct, this would happen a year after Soul Society arc.
Summary: What if they found out the cause why Hitsugaya hasn't hit puberty? What if the solution is in Ichigo's world?
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Bleach, but the current plot is my own.
 
 
 
Chapter 1: Problem in the 10thdivision
 
It was not a normal day; most of the Captains were wondering why Hitsugaya Toshiro, Captain of the 10th division, had missed the meeting. It was quite unusual for the kid genius captain to actually miss a meeting. This was why that some of the other captains decided to check on the young captain. When they arrived, they saw an unusual scene; Matsumoto Rangiku, his vice-captain, was doing the paper work and the captain was sleeping on the couch. It was usually the other way around. Unohana suddenly noticed something; there was a small cloth over the young man's forehead and his breath could be considered irregular. Matsumoto looked up and saw the captains there, staring at the unusual scene.
 
“I'm sorry… But Taishou is asleep…” she said, not wanting to elaborate. True to be told, her captain asked not to say a word about his current condition. He had told her that he had a very good migraine that seems to persist since a few days and was constantly tired.
 
Unohana frowned; this was not normal. She walked and checked on the young captain; he was sweating and had a good fever. It was this moment that Hitsugaya decided to wake up.
 
“Unohana-taishou?” he said with a very tired and somehow small voice.
 
“You missed the captain meeting,” said Kuchiki Byakuya, walking beside Unohana.
 
“Oh…” he replied.
 
He put the cloth away and sat up. He was slightly dizzy, but he knew he was going to be fine if he decided not to get up. “What did I miss?” he asked to the other captains.
 
“The usual,” said simply Soi Fong, who had remained silent so far. “Aside from the fact that Ukitake was there for once and Kenpachi and Kurotsuchi didn't fight…”
 
“I see…” said Hitsugaya, while passing his hand through his hair. His headache was getting worst again; he frowned and start to mass one of his temples. That didn't go unnoticed for the medical shinigami.
 
“Hitsugaya-kun, are you alright?” she asked, even if the answer was obvious.
 
“I'm fine…” he replied, knowing that somehow, he didn't fool anyone right now.
 
The three captains looked at each other; the youngest captain was obviously not alright and the only way to be sure was the hospital. It didn't take long before Unohana looked again at Hitsugaya.
 
“Just to be sure, would you please come to the 4th division for a check up?” she said, more an order than a question.
 
Hitsugaya just looked at the medical shinigami; this was not going to be fun. He got up, but the moment he tried to make a step he collapsed. Byakuya was quick enough to catch him. Unohara immediately checked on him; he had blacked out.
 
Later
 
Hitsugaya was coming back slowly. He could hear many voices talking; some he had recognized quickly and some not. He didn't quite remembered what happened, but one thing was certain; he was not going to live out the fact he had collapsed.
 
He was finally completely awake and could see who was there; Kuchiki Byakuya and his vice-captain Abarai Renji, his own vice-captain, Hinamori Momo, his childhood friend and vice-captain of the 5th division, Unohana Retsu and her vice-captain Kotetsu Isane, Soi Fong and Yamamoto-taishou and his own vice-captain. He could tell that no one noticed he was awake.
 
“You say that his current illness is the result of a strong demon art spell?” said Yamamoto-taishou.
 
“Yes…” replied Unohana. “I have checked him and it appears to be it. This spell was place very early on and this has a nasty effect right now.”
 
“But how and why would taishou be targeted?” asked Matsumoto, very worried.
 
“I do not know who, but why, it's to stop him to grow,” she said, looking at the others. “Obviously, the one who put the spell would have a very good reason to do so since Hitsugaya-kun has not yet to hit puberty.”
 
“Usually, when a shinigami hits this stage of his life, his power grows to adjust his body and grow stronger,” added Isane. “The person who put the spell on Hitsugaya-taishou must have known of this fact and made sure that was not going to happen, considering that he had managed ban kai very young and he's a captain.”
 
“So, someone but a spell on me because he was scared to might what happen when I hit puberty?” he said, with an angry voice, even if he knew it was a very bad idea.
 
They all looked at the young captain; they were surprised to see him awake so soon and some of them noticed how pale he was actually. “Hitsugaya-kun!” said Hinamori. “You got some of us worried!!!”
 
Hitsugaya winced; his headache was still there and the yelling was not helping. “Please, Hinamori… No need to yell,” he said, massaging his right temple. “I still have a headache…”
 
“Sorry…” she said, embarrassed.
 
Hitsugaya nodded at Hinamori, telling her he understood. Right after, he looked at Unohana-taishou. “But why am I that sick? A demon art spell shouldn't do such a thing” he said, annoyed.
 
“It's simple,” she replied. “Your body is trying to grow, but it's not working because of the spell. It's seems that your body is fighting against the spell, hence your current situation. Also, I'm thinking that the spell might not be as strong as it used to; if it was stronger, you wouldn't be sick.”
 
Hitsugaya groaned; this was just not something he expected. This was just not fair.
 
“Is there any solution?” asked Matsumoto, worried.
 
The silence was evidence that most of the captains and medical shinigamis were thinking. Using a counter-spell while they didn't knew perfectly the original demon art spell was in the first place was out of the question for them.
 
Hitsugaya sighed; this was going to be a long day.
 
A few days later
 
It had been a few days now that Unohana was keeping Hitsugaya in her division, to his great annoyance. Although he slept most of the time, this was not something he liked. He did get visits from Matsumoto and Hinamori very often. Some of the captains came also to give him brief summary of the meetings.
 
And yet, no solution had been found for his current problem. This was annoying even more than be stuck in the 4th division. He had nothing to do beside sleeping and staring at the ceiling or outside.
 
He sighed again and was about to get back into a slumber when the door opened; all the captains were there with his vice-captain. This was really surprising him.
 
“What the?!” he said, looking at all of them.
 
“Good news Hitsugaya-kun,” said Ukitake, with a gentle smile. “We found a way to counter the spell.”
 
“About time…” he said, with a neutral voice. “What is it?”
 
“It's not simple, but it will work,” added Unohana.
 
“Well?” he replied.
 
“We will have to use a special gigai to drain the spell,” said Mayuri, with a sadistic smile.
 
“Wait a minute… You don't mean…” said Hitsugaya, mortified.
 
At the same time, Karakura
 
The gang was at Orihime's apartment, relaxing. It was also the first anniversary of Rukia's rescue and their victory. Orihime, Chad, Ichigo, Tatsuki and a recent rejoined Ishida were sitting around, drinking soda, eating sweets, and chatting about what happened during the past year after the rescue. For them, the trip to Soul Society seemed so far away. After that, they had been the battle against Aizen's Arrancar and chasing Hollows. Also in this time period, there was the new training they all received, which include Tatsuki.
 
“I can't believe a year has past,” said Inoue. “It seems like yesterday that we went to Soul Society!”
 
“And yet, it seems like it's been so long,” added Ishida.
 
“Wish we could have news from the others more often,” said Inoue. She turned to look at Ichigo. “Didn't you talk to Rukia-san lately?”
 
“No,” replied Ichigo. “No news from her or any of the others.”
 
“Like they say, no news, good news,” said Tatsuki.
 
Ichigo just looked at Tatsuki and sighed. It was true he was wondering why no one from Soul Society did come to give him news, but at the same time, Tatsuki was right. They did often come when trouble was coming.
 
“Maybe they are busy,” said Chad, who had yet to talk.
 
“Considering that most of them are either Captain or Vice-Captain… I have to agree with you,” said Ishida.
 
They continued to talk about trivial things until they heard someone knocking on the door. They all looked at each other; who could it be? Orihime got up and was gone to answer the door. The others just were silence until they heard Orihime's squeal of delight. Again, they all looked at each other; must be someone that surprised her. A few minutes later, she came back and was followed by Renji, Rukia, Matsumoto, Hinamori and a sleeping Hitsugaya, who was on Renji's back.
 
The fact that they were here surprised them, but Hitsugaya sleeping soundly on Renji's back was even more surprising. Why did that look like trouble for Ichigo was beyond him, but they would be here for a good reason.
 
“May I ask what's going on?” said Ichigo, looking at the shinigamis.
 
“Long story, but it has to do with Hitsugaya,” he said. “Inoue, is there a place I can put him right now? He might be a small tyke, but he's heavy after a while.”
 
Renji heard a small groan coming from the small tyke. “Shut up Abarai…” he said. “You're very lucky that I'm not feeling well…”
 
They all looked at the small captain; he was half-awake and really looking not well enough. To sum it all; he looked like a mess and a very sick little kid. Tatsuki looked at Orihime; the latter walked out of the living room and came back a few minutes later with a comfy looking bed cover. Renji put Hitsugaya on a small bean couch and Orihime gave him the covers for him to cover himself. It didn't take too long before he wrapped himself in them and actually fall asleep again.
 
Most of the human group was surprised by Hitsugaya's current behavior; he was actually acting like a kid, not the cocky and very serious 10th division captain that they knew.
 
“So, what's going on?” asked Ichigo.
 
“Hitsugaya-taishou has to be out of Soul Society for a while until he recovers,” said Rangiku.
 
“That we can see,” said Tatsuki.
 
“I think there's something else,” added Ishida. “Am I right?”
 
The shinigamis looked at each other; no need to lie to them and they were sure that some of them already noticed that Hitsugaya's reiatsu was not only very low, almost not existent.
 
“You're correct,” said Rukia. “We have found out, after he started to be very illed, that someone had put a demon art spell on Hitsugaya to spurt his growth.”
 
“Which lead the other captains to consider many solutions,” said Hinamori. “After hearing about Urahara's undetectable gigai and what happened with Rukia when she had lost her powers, they all thought it could work with Hitsugaya-kun's situation.”
 
“You mean they think the gigai would just drain the spell away?” asked Ichigo, very skeptical.
 
“Exactly,” replied Hinamori.
 
“But where will he stay?” asked Tatsuki. “I'm sure my parents will mind, so does Ishida's.”
 
The shinigamis all looked at each others a few seconds and they all looked at the orange haired teenager.
 
Later
 
Ichigo was mentally cursing Rukia and Hinamori to even suggest the idea and managed to convince him to take Hitsugaya under his roof. It's not that he disliked the small captain, but he didn't know how he was going to explain to his dad about this and how he was going to convince his dad that they had to let Hitsugaya stay with them for an not determinate time.
 
He gave a side glance to the small captain; he was sure he wasn't going to like it either; especially the other had left right before he did.
 
This was going to be a long few months for both of them.
 
 
Note: I manage to write something. I'm sorry in advance for the possible OOCness of the characters and all. Mind you, I'm new in the Bleach fandom and it is my first Bleach fanfiction. Please, let me know if you like the idea and the story. All comments are welcome.