Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Growing Up ❯ Chapter 5: Decisive Moments ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Growing up
Serie: Bleach
Warning: Shounen-ai / Yaoi
Note: Before you ask, what happens he is after Soul Society and the current arc. Aizen is yet to be defeated, but Hinamori is out of her coma, and NOT dating Hitsugaya. If I'm correct, this would happen a year after Soul Society arc.
Summary: What if they found out the cause why Hitsugaya hasn't hit puberty? What if the solution is in Ichigo's world?
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Bleach, but the current plot is my own.
 
 
 
Chapter 5: Decisive Moments
 
Homework was done and both boys were now in their respective beds. Somehow, Hitsugaya couldn't sleep. It was granted that his ribs were making it difficult, but he was still restless. He finally sat up and just looked outside; something was telling him that he wasn't going to have a normal night or even a normal day tomorrow. He sighed and decided to change into casual clothes. He made sure he didn't wake up Ichigo and got out of the room.
 
He slowly got out of the house and decided to take a walk around town. He ended up again in the park; the same park he had been attacked in two days ago. He sat on the swing and decided to watch the starry sky. He really wondered if it would really work out for him; so far, he got beat up, people laughed, and his voice was cracking. So far, only one sign of puberty had shown.
 
“I'm surprised that you managed without getting noticed,” said someone beside him.
 
Hitsugaya didn't need to look to know it was Renji who was beside him. “What's so surprising?” asked Hitsugaya.
 
“Kurosaki would have noticed it, especially since you are injured,” said Renji, glancing at the white-haired captain. To be honest with himself, Hitsugaya looked like a mess and he had noticed the cracking voice of the captain's voice, but didn't make a comment about it, knowing he would have an earful when he would come back.
 
“I know, but I think he knows I need some space,” said Hitsugaya, finally looking at Renji. Surprisingly, he was in a gigai too. “So, why are you here?”
 
Renji just struggled and looked away. “They decided to send me to check on your progress…”
 
Hitsugaya sighed; of course people wanted to know how he was, especially Hinamori and his fukutaichou. “Did Hinamori receive my message earlier?” he asked.
 
“Yea, but she was still worried,” replied Renji. Renji wondered if he should tell Hinamori about Hitsugaya's current situation. The white-haired captain had been beaten up from the looks of it and he was sure Hinamori would come here the second she learned about it.
 
“Typical… Abarai, can you do me a favor?” asked Hitsugaya, looking at the ground.
 
“Sure, what is it?” Renji asked, knowing what would be the favor.
 
“Just don't tell Hinamori and Matsumoto I'm injured,” he said, getting up off the swing. “I don't want them worrying and come running over here.”
 
“Fine by me, but I'll have to tell Unohana,” said Renji.
 
“Sure…” said Hitsugaya.
 
They continued looking at the sky for a little while, completely oblivious to the world. Suddenly, they heard footsteps and a familiar reiatsu. Renji looked and saw Ichigo entering the park with a coat under his arm. He joined up with the other two and gave Hitsugaya the coat.
 
“You better put this on,” said Ichigo. “You do have injuries and it wouldn't do you good if you have a cold.”
 
Hitsugaya stared at the coat then at Ichigo, wondering what he should do: accept the coat or just ignore it? Hitsugaya sighed and took the coat, which surprised both of the redhead.
 
“How long are you planning to stay, Abarai?” asked Hitsugaya, putting the coat on.
 
“A few days,” replied Renji. “Just to make sure everything is alright."
 
Ichigo mumbled something that sound like he really didn't like Renji's presence here. Renji's just glared at the orange-haired shinigami. Hitsugaya knew that a fight was going to happen soon. He just sighed.
 
A few days later
 
With Abarai around and constantly arguing with Ichigo, it was almost a miracle that Hitsugaya didn't snap and strangle either of them. The Sixth Division vice-captain was hanging out around them most of the time after school.
 
It was one of those situations where Ichigo and Renji were having a very loud argument while Hitsugaya was trying to do his homework. The white-haired captain was twitching each time the argument stepped up another level.
 
“URUSAI!” Hitsugaya finally shouted, annoyed with both of them.
 
Renji just stopped and stepped away from both shinigami. Ichigo stared. Both knew that a really pissed off Hitsugaya was never a good thing. Hitsugaya gave them both a death glare before returning to his homework, but the two redheads could feel the tension and the temperature dropped a few degrees.
 
The silence continued until Renji got up and left the house, not wanting to get Hitsugaya angrier; he had heard that the small captain was not a pretty picture when angry at someone. As for Ichigo, he was just trying to concentrate on the book he'd grabbed when Renji had left. It was after a few minutes that Hitsugaya sighed; it was no use to keep working on the homework if he wasn't able to concentrate anymore.
 
“We really bothered you didn't we?” asked Ichigo.
 
“Yes… Now I can't even concentrate on my homework,” replied Hitsugaya, closing his books and putting them away, very annoyed.
 
“I thought you were use to this kind of thing…” said Ichigo, putting his book away.
 
Hitsugaya twitched a little. “I'm more used to see Matsumoto sleep on the couch or Hinamori showing up when I least suspected, BUT NOT a yelling match between Renji and you,” he said, glaring at Ichigo.
 
“Geez… No need to be angry with me…” said Ichigo, trying to look like his usual self.
 
That only made the temperature drop again and a very well placed death glare from the small captain. Ichigo backed away a little. After a while, Hitsugaya stopped staring and left the room, with his coat. Ichigo sighed; he would never get used to this. Even if he knew that Hitsugaya was getting more and more like a normal teenager, it included a few mood swings from time to time.
 
Outside
 
Hitsugaya had pulled the coat on and decided to walk a little while. He was annoyed about two things, the first being the fight between Ichigo and Renji and the second was himself. He wondered why he was losing his temper quicker than usual. He sighed. It was probably part of growing up.
 
He finally looked around. He was again in the park. It seemed like every time he wanted to think or be alone, he ended up here. He just ran his right hand in his hair, messing it up a little, before going to sit on a swing. It was getting a little too normal for him. He had learned that Hinamori had told Ichigo about his habit to go in high places to think and had been told not to do it here.
 
Hitsugaya looked up at the sky—it was starting to get dark. The sky was tainted with red, orange and lilac colors. He stared a little longer and started to swing a little. He felt so lost at times, ever since he got here. It was almost three weeks now and he still hadn't felt the change except his voice.
 
Not too far away, Ichigo was watching Hitsugaya. He had promised to keep an eye on him for Hinamori and Rukia (more like he was forced to do it). Even though most of the others hadn't really noticed, Hitsugaya had taken on inch or two in height and his voice sounded more and more like an adult—it was deeper. He wondered how the girls were going to react to his voice next time they were going to see him.
 
It took a little while before Ichigo decided to join the Tenth Division captain. Hitsugaya didn't make a move to acknowledge the orange-haired teenager's presence. It was one of those moments when no words were needed.
 
Suddenly, Ichigo's badge and Hitsugaya's cell phone went off. They both looked at their respective object and Hitsugaya immediately open his cell phone to find the location. Ichigo got his mod candy out, ready to go.
 
“Where is it?” asked Ichigo.
 
“School's courtyard,” replied Hitsugaya, getting up.
 
“Okay,” said Ichigo, swallowing the candy. He immediately got out of his body, leaving Kon in charge of it. “And Kon, you stay here with Hitsugaya.”
 
“HEY! I'm not some kid, you know!” yelled said captain, really annoyed.
 
“And I'm no babysitter!” added Kon, equally annoyed.
 
“Not my problem! Orders are orders!” replied Ichigo before disappearing, leaving the two of them alone.
 
Hitsugaya wasn't sure what to do: strangle Kurosaki when he came back or just ignore the situation. He sighed. He knew that it wasn't good to disobey a direct order. He had received the order to stay away from hollows as much as possible until he was ready. He just took his seat in the swing and decided to wait until Ichigo came back.
 
Later
 
Ichigo had dealt with the hollows that had appeared in the school courtyard and now, he was back in the park. He was actually surprised that Hitsugaya was still in the park, waiting for him. He walked back and saw that Kon had also listened for once. He went back into his body, putting the soul candy back in his pocket, and looked at Hitsugaya. Something told him that Hitsugaya was a little grumpy with what happened. He looked away and heard the white-haired captain sigh and the chains of the swing move. Hitsugaya had got up.
 
“So, wanna go back home?” asked Ichigo.
 
“Not really…” said Hitsugaya, a little gloomy.
 
Ichigo was surprised to hear this tone in Hitsugaya's voice. It was not normal. He put a hand on Hitsugaya's shoulder and it came as a surprise that he wasn't pushed away.
 
“I guess it wouldn't be too late to go to that coffee shop…” said Ichigo, starting to walk away.
 
“Coffee shop?” Hitsugaya asked, wondering what the heck Ichigo was talking about, but he followed Ichigo anyway.
 
Later
 
Both of the boys were soon in front of a very popular coffee shop in town. It was very popular among the teenagers since you could find many of them around town, and it was a really popular line of shops.
 
Ichigo got in, not knowing the questioning glares that he was getting from Hitsugaya, who was following him. Ichigo finally looked at Hitsugaya, signaling him to find them a seat.
 
Hitsugaya just sighed, wondering what Ichigo would buy for them. He took a seat that was near the window. He stared outside, waiting for Ichigo to come with their drinks. He wanted to know why Ichigo had decided to come here right after fighting a hollow. He was in his own world when Ichigo came back with two medium frappuccinos in his hands.
 
It was until he heard the chair in front of him that Hitsugaya turned around. He looked at what Ichigo had bought and was really wondering what was in the glass.
 
“Hope you are going to like this…” said Ichigo, grabbing his own and starting to drink it.
 
Hitsugaya just frowned and grabbed his glass. He started to drink it and found that it was tasty and very refreshing somehow. He couldn't help but smile at the taste.
 
Ichigo had noticed the smile forming in Hitsugaya's face and was glad to have brought the captain here. It made him smile also. Somehow, it was fun to make Hitsugaya discover new places and things of this world.
 
The next day
 
Both of the teens were heading for school when Hitsugaya stopped dead in his tracks.
 
“Come on Hitsugaya, we are going to be late if that continues,” said Ichigo, until he noticed where they had stopped. Ichigo just sweatdropped.
 
“Can we just get one of the drinks you got yesterday?” Hitsugaya asked, almost giving Ichigo an order.
 
Ichigo wanted slap himself; maybe it wasn't the best to have brought Hitsugaya here. He was getting addicted to the coffee shop's products.
 
 
Note: Yep, I made Hitsugaya OOC on the last bit of the story. And the last bit about the coffee shop… Err… Starbuck's anyone? (Or Nagayan reference anyone?) I couldn't help myself. Also, please read and review!