Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Utter Chaos ❯ Or Reality of Dreams? ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
The blood snaked down his arm in delicately unfurling tendrils. He couldn’t see it, but he could feel it. He felt it so sharply. Everything seemed to move in slow motion. The cold knife burying itself deep into his left shoulder took years to descend an inch. For those precious moments, the pain held itself at bay, indefinitely a delayed reaction. The crimson liquid sprayed drops into his face and onto his body, wetting his skin and staining his clothes. Not that it mattered. His clothes had long since hung in limp shreds off of his body. They were also in severe need of washing, but it wasn’t as if he was given any kind of selection or decision in the matter.

Time jumpstarted back into sudden definition with him grabbing the hand holding the offending knife and pulling it forward to twist into his own grip. He kicked his opponent’s ankle and heard the appreciative sound of cracking bones. The figure before him cried out in pain, but only as a reflex before wrestling her other hand onto the hilt of the knife. He wrenched out of her grasp with difficulty, turning to face the another direction and simultaneously chucking the knife into a far corner. He could hear it skittering on the metal floor, confirming its location.

It was almost amusing how quickly she leapt into action, diving in the direction of the glinting weapon. He smirked as he easily tripped her, flipped her onto her back and straddled her to the floor. He wrapped his arms around her delicate little throat.

She wasn’t the her he wanted, but she would have to do. At this rate, it was only a matter of time.

************************************************************ ********************

Unohana’s brow was drenched in sweat. Her whole body was saturated with it. It had drained so much of her energy simply to maintain his status. She didn’t know how much time she had until his next fit, but she definitely needed to restore both physical energy and reiatsu. She took another sip of tea as Isane-fukutaichou strode purposefully into the room.

“Unohana-taichou, Hinamori-fukutaichou is due to have her checkup with you now. She’s been very tense and difficult,” she added as an afterthought.

“Yes, I expected no less from her. Thank you, Isane-fukutaichou.” Her voice was tired and strained. She stood and wearily headed down to the Hinamori’s ward. She had a whole ward to herself now because she had pitched such a fit upon waking. All of the other patients were in serious danger due to her uncontrolled reiatsu. Unohana had been forced to take precautions.

Upon entering the room, it was easy to see that Hinamori had some rather irate complaints to make.

She sighed. With Hitsugaya-taichou in need of possibly constant attention, she had too little time to spare for the fifth division’s vice-captain’s issues.

“Where is Aizen-taichou?!,” Hinamori shouted, voice blazing.

“Now, now Hinamori-fukutaichou,” Unohana began, smiling at her in what could only be described as a deadly warning. “If you really wanted an answer to that question, I’m sure you could try a more appropriate approach, don’t you think?”

Hinamori stared at her for a few moments, utterly taken aback, mouth gaping.

“I’m actually not here to answer all your questions. As it turns out, the results of Kuchiki Rukia’s attempted execution have caused several severe problems within the Seireitei, which is why no one has had the time to explain anything to you. Even I don’t have the time now. I’m only here for your checkup, to make sure you are healing properly. Do you understand?”

Hinamori’s eyes flashed in irritation. “I’m not five, I’m perfectly capable of comprehending such a thing. So when will anyone tell me anything?”

“I don’t know. Now please lay back on the bed.”

Scowling, Hinamori complied.

******************************************************** ************************

Momo’s day had continued to be extremely trying. Both her and Toushirou had to walk to the same classes down the same hallways, but he just passed her by without even looking at her. She couldn’t even pay strict attention in class and ended up doodling over her previous notes instead of listening to the teacher. She tried to make the classes go faster by counting down in five-minute increments. All she managed to accomplish was to become extremely aware of the time. But honestly, she couldn’t wait for this horrible ordeal to be over (otherwise known as school) so that she could go be with Sousuke and forget all the terrible things in life. And since when were Rangiku and Toushirou such good friends?

That was the part she understood least of all. How easily and completely she had been replaced by this other girl she hadn’t even known was that close to him! It made her twitch to just think about it. But still, she had somehow managed to not cry for the rest of the periods for which she was very grateful. Part of her wanted him to not have to worry about her as she was sure he was doing. No, that didn’t make sense. He didn’t want to be friends with her. But did that mean that he really didn’t care anymore? At all? She couldn’t understand that either. The whole situation had her thoroughly confused.

Because there was no way that Toushirou had a crush on her! It simply wasn’t possible. She knew him and knew he just didn’t think that way. She had always had the feeling that he didn’t like Sousuke, but she didn’t know why. He was always such a perfect gentleman towards everyone. What fault could Toushirou find? She gnawed on her lower lip in concentration. Maybe she was on the wrong track. Maybe that was all just to throw her off.

Yes, that definitely sounded more like Toushirou. She smiled unconsciously to herself. She was making progress now. So what would be another reason for him to ignore her? Now she was stuck again. She sighed disappointedly. There were definitely no obvious reasons….

“Hey, earth to Momo,” Rukia laughed. “Class is over. Come on, time for PE.”

Momo groaned. Oh how she hated the vile class. “Hey Rukia. What reasons might Toushirou-kun have for not speaking to me?,” she asked thoughtfully.

Rukia raised an eyebrow at her. “Do you mean other than being terribly jealous of your boyfriend?”

“Yes, other than that,” she remarked slightly irritably. “I’m catching a blank. There must be a reason, only I can’t think of it.”

Rukia sobered a little. “Does it even matter, Momo? I mean, not to be harsh, but there’s no real hope for the two of you to become friends again, is there?”

“I’ll find some. I’ll make it up if I have to,” she answered fiercely.

Rukia gave a startled laugh at her immediate reply. She leaned over and gave her a quick hug. “This is why we love you Momo. You never give up.”

Momo blushed. “Stop it, I give up on lots of stuff. Besides, you guys don’t either.”

“Yeah, yeah, modest too.” Rukia laughed again.

*********************************************************** *********************

“Look, I really, REALLY don’t feel well today. I would really appreciate it if you would let me sit out of class today. I’m willing to make it up later, I just really don’t feel well today.”

“If you don’t feel well Hitsugaya-kun, then you ought to go to the nurse. If that’s not good enough for you, you’re just gonna have to dress out like every other student here. You’re not getting special treatment just because you’re not ‘feeling well.’ You look perfectly fine to me.”

“I’m not asking for special treatment Sensei,” he tried again, gritting his teeth. “All I ask is a chance to have one class minimal participation to be made up later. I really don’t feel well, but… well, going to the nurse is embarrassing.”

“Either get over it, and I mean your fear of the nurse or your ‘sickness,’ or go dress down now. No exceptions. What’s it gonna be Hitsugaya-kun?” The teacher’s voice was flat and brooked no argument.

Muttering under his breath, Hitsugaya finally gave in and trudged off to the locker room. Crack. Failure when he really needed success. Somehow, he knew this was going to come back to bite him later.

He had no idea how soon that later would be.

************************************************************** ******************

He was screaming again. Screaming as if he was dying, as if his heart was being ripped out of his chest and Unohana didn’t even know whether she was being literal or figurative. Perhaps both. His back arched off the bed about three feet, shouts still ripping from his throat. The surprising part was that he had any voice left at all. All of his body twitched violently, engaging in dangerously uncontrolled spasms. He just shook, for no apparent reason at all. Somehow, this didn’t even cause his voice to crack or break in any way. The sorrow in his voice was difficult to bear as was the clear pain. She had no idea what he dreamt of there, but whatever it was, it was destroying his psyche from the inside out.

Cuts broke open on his forehead again, sudden bursts of blood breaking through the recently healed skin. His hands scratched at his arms, more blood spreading, spreading. Unohana was getting panicked. There were so many to heal and so few of them had even been looked at, because Hitsugaya-Taichou required the attention of nearly everyone in the division. Many members needed to be on hand, if only for their reiatsu. Also, members were needed to watch him in case he broke out in another “fit” as they’d taken to calling them. Unohana had long since given up trying to get the blood out of her haori. If everything continued at this rate, she could conceivably run out of reiatsu before she even figured out what was wrong with him.

They never even had time to clean him between fits. All effort was directed towards reiatsu recovery. For the first time in her entire career, Unohana was forced to consider the possibility that she would need help from another division, in terms of manpower. If that happened, the fourth division would never live it down. But she would never be able to look herself in a mirror again if he died and she knew there was something she could have done, could have tried.

He was twitching again, wrestling like crazy to break free of the restraints, yelling into the air indistinguishable words filled only with his overwhelming emotion.

Soul-destroying screams filled with undiluted agony.