Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Final Christmas ❯ A Sneak-peek Into the Future ( Epilogue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own characters. Do own the plot line in this story though… that's worth something, right? _________________________________________________________________
Chapter 11: A Sneak-peek Into the Future
December 24, 2007
Amazing. Simply amazing. Almost two years since the doctors had said that she wasn't going to make it. Two years since the doctors told them that she wouldn't make it to see Christmas. Now she's seen two more after that year and she's still going on stronger. They had told them to give up and be prepared to say good-bye. They nearly had.
It still brings chills to my spine to think how close they came to losing her. So near death's door was she that they had lost her for a while. Three entire weeks of watching her systems slowly shut down, one after the other. Three full weeks of waiting for the dreaded end, knowing that there was nothing they could do to prevent her from slipping. Three damning weeks of desperation, tears, and pain.
To this day, I can still hear the cries of utmost pain that enveloped the hospital room the day she fell into her fatal comatose state. Tomoyo and Mei Lin sobbed themselves into exhaustion; Touya and his father fell into a deeper state of denial; Yukito had refused to take control, thus forcing Yue to take his place; Kero had desperately promised everything as long as she stayed and lived. The poor creature wouldn't leave her side, or her neck, since then. Syaoran… well, it hit him the hardest and the worst, I suppose. Damned near fell into a coma himself.
He had shut down completely. Refusing comfort, food, rest… everything. Day-in and day-out, he stayed by her bedside, holding onto her hand as if that would keep her with him. in the end, Touya and Yue had no choice but to bodily pull him away from the hospital room. That lasted all of three hours, long enough for him to shower and change, before he was at her bedside once more. He even went as far as locking himself within the room to stay with her. In the end, I guess that's what had saved her.
She heard his cries, felt his pain, and held on. His determination to keep her paid off, because in the end, he did get to keep her. From what I know, or at least what I can tell you, is that his love for her was a strong enough bond to hold her back. His love was the only thing that kept her from moving forward into the abyss. The bond had been created between them years before, and at the time of her illness, his side had been the strong point while hers weakened. But as her love brightened, her will to fight also strengthened, thus enabling the bond to solidify into a state that probably saved her life. She held on long enough for the transplant to take place.
As Lady Luck would have it, they had found a match for her that previous night and it was said to have arrived the morning her heart abruptly gave out. Fate was apparently unhappy with Death for ruining their plans because a few seconds later, it began again. Slower, but beating. It gave the doctors enough time to operate. Of course, I've no doubt that the cards may have had a hand in reviving her that day. Like Touya had said, Skaura's special.
Yue was right in his observation that the future had been blurred. Officially, Kinomoto Sakura was destined to die that day. But a person can have multiple destinies, can they not? She fulfilled one, but there were still others left. Technically, Kinomoto Sakura did die that day, and from her ashes, like a phoenix, came Li Sakura, a woman with a path never before walked ahead of her and a lifelong partner to walk it with.
My daughter could not have found a better person to love than her husband.
----------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
A.N.: I just had to add this in. Took me a while to think things through, but I decided that it couldn't hurt. Thank you for reading 'Final Christmas'. I hope that it was worth it and that you enjoyed your read.