Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Forever It Will Stay ❯ Engagemenet Outbursts ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kristy Selean: Yes! It's done! This chapter, I mean. This story's still got a long way to go! Please review so I know that it's going well. It's a real encouragement to me, and I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks! Oh, and in case some of you were wondering, I'm going to disclaim it at the end of the story.

Forever It Will Stay

Chapter 3: Engagement Outbursts

Syaoran bowed his head dejectedly. What was wrong with Sakura? What did he do to deserve this? How could his leaving her bother her so much? Syaoran became so engrossed in his thoughts that he didn't notice Tomoyo sit across from him in the cafe until she tapped his hand.

"Oh, Tomoyo. Gomen-nasaii. I was just trying to think."

"It's not problem, Li-kun. I hope things have been going well for you."

"Well, I guess you could say that. I've already graduated in Hong Kong as the top student, and I was taking a few extra classes until Mother made me quit so I could train more often."

"I see. What happened to Meilin?"

"Well, Mother broke off our engagement. I really don't know why."

But deep inside, Syaoran knew. He knew that Yelan wanted him to fall in love with Sakura and marry her. What he didn't know was why he had to do that.

"Other than that, she's doing great. She's even got a boyfriend now. I've been teasing her so much that she's usually pink in the face whenever she's around me. Her grades are pretty up to date as usual, but she's been slacking off in her training, if you ask me."

Tomoyo smiled. It seemed pretty normal of the oh-so-perfect Syaoran Li to expect the best, especially from his cousin who was his rival after all. Or was it more like a sidekick? Either way, she knew that he expected top performance and Sakura was one of them until she locked up everything he had given, taught, or shown her. Of course, Tomoyo wasn't ready to tell Syaoran that yet.

"Tomoyo, just out of curiosity, why did you want me to meet you here?"

"Well..."

~*~Flashback~*~

"Sakura, I'm going out."

"Tomoyo, if you're going to meet him, make sure that it's out of this apartment. I don't mean to be rude, but I know I can't stand the sight of him."

"All right, Sakura. All right."

~*~End of Flashback~*~

Syaoran's head drooped, his bangs hiding his eyes as he dimmed out of the world. Tomoyo sighed. She knew it was hard for him, even if he didn't like her that way. No matter what they had been through, Tomoyo knew that Syaoran just felt that she was a good companion who was somehow able to reach out to him without getting him mad. She was his comfort while he was in Tokyo. Now, everything felt displaced.

'Well, as Eriol would have said, pity - they would have made a great couple...'

"I see. Look, Tomoyo, I'm sorry if I caused any trouble. It's just, now, I really wanted to be close friends with Sakura. I just didn't like her that way. Every time she'd be near, I'd be happy because we're friends, but every time that thought comes up about..."

Syaoran immediately froze. This was the Li family secret that he was letting out! What was wrong with him? What was in his mind that caused him to lose control of his own words? Tomoyo nodded, and Syaoran relaxed immediately. She had known all along.

"But how?"

"Everything you did seemed like a routine chore, Li-kun. I could never see you put your heart into anything unless it was schoolwork or your training."

"I guess I blew my cover. Well, now that you know, yeah, this whole thing with the cards and marriage and all was planned out before anything. I just hated being reminded that my life is set, and I can't do anything about it."

"So you decided to act against it?"

Syaoran shrugged. Tomoyo sighed and shook her head. Sakura had been so intent on waiting for him, even if it meant that she would only see him before she would permanently put her eyes to rest... If only Syaoran knew...

'Well, he does have a right to know.'

"Syaoran, there's something you should know about Sakura."

Syaoran paused, waiting intently for the news that Tomoyo had. Tomoyo sighed and took a sip of the tea that she was having with Syaoran before she continued. It was going to be tough, but she was going to drag him around if that was the only way to get him to listen to her.

"Sakura's engaged."

~*~

"Open the door, Sakura!"

Syaoran banged on the door. Silence was all he got for an answer. Growling with frustration, he tried banging and yelling again, oblivious to the neighbors who stopped to stare and a panting Tomoyo who was chasing after him.

"Sakura!"

"Syaoran! Calm down!"

"Tomoyo, you have the keys, right?"

"It won't matter anyway, Syaoran. Sakura's gone."

"Gone?"

"She has a job, you know. She's modeling at the studio right now."

"Where is the studio? What's it called?"

Tomoyo shook her head, making Syaoran realize what he had to do. He would search all of Japan to pry an answer from Sakura if he had to. Tomoyo sighed as she entered the apartment after seeing Syaoran who waved frantically for a taxi cab. She did the only thing that she could think of at this time - she prayed.

'Please, I don't know who's up there, but please, watch over those two.'

~*~

"Great! Now turn to the left. Perfect, Sakura!"

Sakura had her usual plastered smile on while she turned this way and that for the camera. She even stopped to have some fun while she was at it. While one of the younger gentlemen was staring intently on her, she winked at him, causing a great blush across his face and the photographer to squeal in delight.

"Fantastic! It was completely worth the shoot!"

Sakura tried a different pose as she let her wings that were attached to her white gown hide just a bare portion of her face while she smiled innocently at the camera. The photographer lost no time in rolling out his film while Sakura cringed internally.

'If there is a God out there, please, let me out of here alive.'

Sakura was too busy tormenting herself in her "Heaven's Angel" pictures to notice that Syaoran had found the back way to the studio. He was watching Sakura intently twirling in her gown. Her snowy white dress fluttered to her knees, and her sleeves looked like white bell flowers hanging on her shoulders. There were silvery wings attached to the back of the dress that fluttered around as Sakura strolled down the golden pathway of the garden scenery. In other words, Syaoran found it breath-taking. His eyes followed her every move, from the flowers to the golden pathway to the emerald ivy. Whenever Sakura happened to do a pose that was too intimidating, Syaoran would immediately turn his eyes away for fear that his eyes would pop out or that he would faint. His face turned redder than ever possible, and Syaoran felt a throbbing headache, probably signaling that there was way too much blood flowing to his face. His stomach started to feel a little fluttery on him too.

'Maybe this isn't the best time to storm in. I'd better go.'

Syaoran sneaked off, back the way he came and grabbed a ride home - his temporary home, that is. Syaoran tossed himself onto his bed so he could think. It didn't help sitting up, so he placed his head on his hands and rested his head.

'Why? Why did I jump when I found out that Sakura was engaged? Why did I act so nervous during her modeling? Well, I guess I haven't seen any girls try to... well... put on a pose. Besides, my sisters and mother wouldn't try anything, of course. Then, the engagement? I guess I might have been a little jumpy about the news. She has never told me that, but, then again, I've never answered her mail either. I really want to congratulate her. I really want her to be happy.'

Syaoran turned over. His clock read 7:30 pm. It was then that he noticed his stomach's protest about no lunch that day since he had bolted out of the cafe with Tomoyo at his heels. Syaoran got off the bed and headed to the kitchen to get something to eat. After grabbing a drink and stuffing something that looked suspiciously like pizza into the oven, Syaoran started walking over to the dinner table.

'Still, I wonder who she's engaged to...'