Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ The Inevitable ❯ Doop Head!! ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Inevitable
By DarkHeart
 
Disclaimer: I do not own CCS or its characters; I'm just using them. However, some of the characters in this story have been made up by muah! Of course,the events and plot or whatever are mine too!
 
Note: Real names will be used all the time. Switched names will be used in dialogue when others talk.

Chapter 4: “Doop Head
 
Syaoran continued to stare at Natsumi in confusion. When he realized what he was doing, he suddenly put on a straight face. `Ignore her, Kashima' he told himself, `just get detention over with and return home'. He brushed passed her and made his way into the school building. Of course, that wasn't enough to get rid of her.
 
“Well, lookie here…” A voice called out, while Natsumi and Syaoran were entering the detention room, “If it isn't the new couple, Mr. Silent and Ms. Noisy.”
 
“SHUT UP SYAORAN!” Natsumi shouted.
 
“MAKE ME SNOT FACE!”
 
“Snot face!? What are you, a kindergartener?! And what the heck are you doing here?!”
 
“I could be asking you the same thing,” Kashima retorted, “Oh, wait. I already know. You two were being all lovey-dovey and forgot about class, correct?”
 
“SHUT UP SYAORAN!”
 
You can imagine how detention went by…
 
During lunch the next day, Syaoran decided not to go to the usual place - Natsumi would probably follow. Instead, he chose a quiet space underneath a tree behind the school.
 
“What's the loner doing here?”
 
“Does he suddenly expect us to talk to him?”
 
Voices rang through his head from kids walking a couple feet away.
 
“Hey, Kashima!”
 
Syaoran looked up and caught Natsumi giving deathly glares to the other students.
 
“Mind if I join you?” She sat down without waiting for an answer, “That's all the lunch you have?!” She looked down at the apple and water bottle. Natsumi opened her boxed lunch with a watery mouth, “Chicken, rice, potatoes and curry!!” she squealed, “Thank you mama!”
 
“…….”
 
“Would you like to try some? It's really good!”
 
“……”
 
As Syaoran opened up take a bite of his apple, Natsumi stuffed a spoonful of her lunch into his mouth. Just as Syaoran was about to spit it out, the delicious flavor of her food stopped him - it was probably the best thing he'd ever tasted. After he finished chewing, he resumed with his apple.
 
“I told you it was good.”
 
“……”
 
“My mom is the best cook in the world!”
 
“……”
 
“Hrrey,” Natsumi managed to say with a full mouth, “Yrou srmell…” she swallowed, “you smell like mint.”
 
“……”
 
“Mint always reminds me of the past,” Natsumi smiled, “For some reason, my real parents always used to smell like mint; especially my dad. I think they ran a small tea business - the Makoto business; something like that.”
 
“…….”
 
“What do your parents do?”
 
“……”
 
“It's alright if you don't want to say,” she waved her hand, “sometimes parents' jobs can be embarrassing,” she brought her voice down to a whisper, “like…garbage man.” With this, Natsumi burst out laughing.
 
“ …….”
`What an idiot', thought Syaoran.
 
“So, do you have any hobbies?”
 
“……”
 
“Fine, I'll go first,” she said, as if doing him a favor, “I absolutely LOVE playing video games. Especially…”
 
And her talking went on and on. While Natsumi spoke, her facial expressions changed depending on what she was talking about - some of the faces she made amused Syaoran, but he always forced himself to look away and went back to trying to ignore her.
 
The next day after school, Syaoran decided to visit his regular lunch place, the one he'd been avoiding since Natsumi arrived. When he got to the park, the sun had started to set. He took his seat under the usual tree and took in the quiet around him. A few hours ago in school, he learned of some disturbing news. Just thinking about it caused his head to throb. He forced himself to relax and closed his eyes, slowly dozing off…
 
Saigo no kisu wa Tabako no flavor ga shita Nigakute setsunai kaori
(Thelast kiss tasted like tobacco,a bitter and sad smell)
 
Mitsuki slowly opened the cabinet door and shot a deathly glare to the scared little Syaoran standing in the corner. She took out a belt and slowly walked up to him, her face red in anger. Tears welled up in Syaoran's eyes as the painful punishment began.
 
Ashita no imagoro ni wa Anata wa doko ni iru n' darou Dare wo omotte 'ru n' darou
(Tomorrow, at this time where will you be?Who will you be thinking about?)
 
Kashima stood there laughing with his sixth grade friends at Syaoran who was thrown into the mud. Kashima grabbed him by the collar and threw him again. Syaoran closed his eyes and waited for this beating to be over.
 
You are always gonna be my love Itsu ka dare ka to mata koi ni ochite mo
(You are always gonna be my love even if I fall in love with someone once again)
 
A new student walked into class - it was a girl. She sat next to Syaoran and wouldn't stop talking. She spoke about everything… and he listened.
 
I'll remember to love, youtaught me how.You are always gonna be the one
 
Syaoran slowly opened his eyes to a dark park. The moon was shining overhead - everything felt so nice. Then he realized that there was a song playing. He felt earpieces in his ears and followed the wire down to a small player - in someone's lap! He turned his head and saw a figure sitting against the tree next to him - it was Natsumi, and she was sleeping; Syaoran was confused, but calm. Natsumi's sleeping face looked so innocent. The song continued to play, and Syaoran just sat there, listening and staring. When the song ended, he saw Natsumi's eyes open slowly; he took the ear pieces out and quickly looked away.
 
“Ah!” She cried, excited, “You're awake! That was my FAVORITE song just now. Isn't it great!?”
 
“……”
 
“Oh, you're probably wondering what I'm doing here,” she guessed, “I was taking a walk and saw you sitting here. When you started making weird faces in your sleep, I thought some music would calm you down,” she beamed, “you've been listening for a while.”
 
“……”
 
“Darn! I've gotta get going,” she said, picking up the ear piece and player, “My mom is gonna worry. See you tomorrow!”
 
She stood up, waved, and walked away. Syaoran watched her disappear into the night. After a few minutes, he stood up and made his way home.
 
The next day in school, Natsumi was the same annoying girl. For some reason, Syaoran viewed her differently the other night. She hung around Syaoran and chattered as usual. And so, a week passed by with Natsumi clinging onto him. At times, he grew irritated and annoyed, but sometimes he didn't seem to mind; he always remained silent. However, one day things became too much.
 
Syaoran was walking home, deep in thought. He looked around; he was walking on a path with trees on either side. The wind was just right and the air smelled great - this had become his favorite time of day. It was the only time he could relax. Then, something unexpected happened…
 
“Lalalala lala lalallala”
 
Syaoran froze; he knew that voice.
 
“Lalala lal…wha? Hey…Kashima?!”
 
No, this wasn't happening.
 
“OH MY GOD! Don't tell me we take the same path home EVERYDAY! If I knew, I would've gone with you after school instead of staying after!”
 
“………”
 
“Hey! Maybe I can come to your house!”
 
“…..”
 
“Or, maybe you can come to my house. What do you think?”
 
“…..”
 
“We could play video games, watch TV, and do homework - wait, who wants to do homework? Anyway, we could…”
 
“SHUT UP!” Syaoran cut her off. Natsumi jumped and her eyes widened; she was utterly shocked. Syaoran didn't feel like himself; it felt like forever since he used such a loud voice.
 
“What hap-”
 
“Don't give me that BS!” Syaoran roared, “You know very well what `happened'! Are you so lonely that you cling onto me like this?! Are you so pathetic that you can't make friends?! I HATE YOU! Get that into your thick skull! Your face, your voice, your talk, your stupidity - I HATE IT ALL! Get the hell away from me! You're ANNOYING! No wonder your real parents abandoned you!”
 
Syaoran's red face was filled with anger. He kept his icy glare on her and waited for those `disgusting' tears. Natsumi seemed lost and sort of hurt. She looked down and muttered an `I'm sorry' before walking away.
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
Syaoran walked through the hallway toward his Calculus class.
 
“Hey Kashima!”
 
He spun around and searched for the person who called his name. Great; his mind was playing tricks on him again.
 
Natsumi had been absent for three days in a row now. Every now and then, he'd hear her annoying voice. He'd gotten used to having her around. Syaoran started thinking about Natsumi more and more. Did she drop out of school? Was the affect of what he said that strong? `Forget about her' he told himself…but he couldn't. Everyday, Kashima would ask the teacher about the `pipsqueak' - the teacher never had an explanation.
 
Syaoran was walking toward the school - it had already been five days since Natsumi's absence, and she still wasn't back. Every time he tried to forget her, she'd come popping into his head. Was it guilt? As Syaoran raised his foot to take a step, he fell forward on the grass. His face expressed pain as he attempted to stand up. He was a little taken aback; Kashima had stopped his bullying for about a week.
 
“Don't get up so easily,” Kashima grinned, putting his foot on Syaoran's back, “Thought you wouldn't see me again?” Kashima pushed down hard and Syaoran hit the ground again. Kashima's green-haired friend was standing beside him.
 
“I'm gonna….AHH!” Kashima yelled.
 
Syaoran felt the weight disappear from his back. When he turned around to see what happened, he was surprised - it was Natsumi! She had her arm locked around Kashima's neck. Kashima immediately escaped her hold and grabbed hold of her shoulders.
 
“YOU!?” He asked, laughing, “What happened? Came back to save your friend?”
 
“Shut it!” Natsumi replied, sending a powerful punch to Kashima's stomach.
 
“Damn,” he hissed, holding his stomach in pain.
 
“Syaoran!” Rei shrieked, stepping closer, “I'm gonna beat this girl…”
 
“No!” Kashima interrupted him, a slight blush appearing on his face, “L…ehem…leave h-her alone.”
 
“Wait,” Rei looked confused, “Why are you blushing?”
”I'M NOT BLUSHING, IDIOT! Let's go!”
 
With that, Kashima ran away, dragging Rei by the arm. Syaoran was now standing up and looking at Natsumi with an unreadable expression.
 
“I'm sorry about getting involved again,” Natsumi said in a rush - she looked slightly scared. “I just…wanted to give this to you.”
 
She quickly took out a small gift box and held it out for Syaoran, “I overheard Kashima talking about giving you an `extra special beating' for your birthday coming up. I wasn't sure about the exact date though. Since I bought it already, I thought I'd just give it to you.”
 
Syaoran slowly extended his hand and took the box from her, “Th…thank you,” he blurted out, not thinking.
 
“Yeah, no problem,” Natsumi replied, shocked, “I would have given it sooner, but I suddenly caught a fever,” she took a step back, “Sorry for speaking with you today. I don't want to be a burden to anyone. Well then, goodbye Kashima.”
 
Natsumi turned around and quickly walked into school. Syaoran just stood there, speechless. What was going on with him?
 
During Chemistry class, Natsumi didn't say a word to him. The teacher's voice and the students' whisperings were all a blur. Syaoran kept thinking the same thing, `I've never received a gift before'. It was still in his bag, unopened. His eyes unconsciously fell on Natsumi now and then - she seemed lifeless. When it was time for AP Calculus, Natsumi didn't come. Mrs. Iseki explained to the class that Natsumi switched into Honors Calculus. Syaoran didn't know what to think.
 
After school, Syaoran was standing in front of his locker, putting some textbooks in. He was upset at himself for being this way. What was wrong with him?! His concentration wasn't on schoolwork at all. He turned away from his locker and saw Natsumi walking by - she didn't even look up at him. Syaoran's grip on his bag tightened and he slammed his locker shut. He walked behind Natsumi, following her out of the building.
 
“WAIT!” Syaoran shouted, standing a few feet behind Natsumi - she didn't turn around. Syaoran began to run and grabbed hold of her arm.
 
“Natsumi!” he shouted, turning her around to face him. She looked at him, startled.
 
“Yes…?”
 
“I'm sorry.” Syaoran said firmly, lowering his head, “I was too harsh before. I was angry because of something I heard in school. Someone moved here…and…”
 
“It's alright,” Natsumi replied, “I'm sorry too. I was being a pain. Don't worry, I won't bother you any…”
 
“NO!” Syaoran shouted, causing Natsumi to jump, “I want you to bother me! No…what I mean to say is…I…that…you…we…”
 
“He, she, it, they,” Natsumi said, using her fingers to count them, “There, I've said them all for you now,” her face clearly showed her eagerness for him to continue.
 
Syaoran raised his eyebrow, “What I mean to say is I don't mind you bothering me.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“I…I seem to have grown used to your presence. I…don't mind being…friends with you.” Wow, Syaoran really felt stupid now.
 
“So…I can talk to you again? And hang around you again? And tell other people that we're friends? And…”
 
“Yes!” a slight color of red appeared on Syaoran's cheeks, “its fine.”
 
“But, I thought you hated me.”
 
“I don't.”
 
“But you said…”
 
“I lied.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“…….”
 
“Let's go home then!” Natsumi exclaimed, jumping up and down. Syaoran just nodded and followed her.
 
Syaoran was engulfed in his thoughts during the walk home; Natsumi was just singing songs and skipping around. He was still extremely embarrassed and confused from the events before. What was it that separated Natsumi from everyone else? Was it her optimistic and carefree personality? Was it her stupidity? Was it because, even though Syaoran ignored her, she continued to think they were friends? Was it her ignorance?
 
“Hey, Kashima!”
 
Syaoran turned his head to look at her. This time, it wasn't his imagination - she was really there. He grinned slightly at the thought.
 
“Do you know who that guy is with the red hair?” she asked, scratching her head, “the one who hangs around Syaoran sometimes? Is he your friend?”
 
Syaoran was flabbergasted. Wow, this girl was stupid. Did she not see how everyone treated him and spoke about him?
 
“No.”
 
“Oh,” she sighed, “Doesn't he remind you of one of those cool looking guys from animes?!”
 
“……”
 
Her eyes suddenly became starry, “Well, I think he looks EXACTLY like this one guy from a show I've seen,” in an instant, her eyes were filled with fire, “I just don't understand why he hangs around that doop head Syaoran!”
 
“Doop?”
 
“Yes,” she said, putting her hands on her hips, “SYAORAN IS A DOOP HEAD!”
 
`What the heck?' Syaoran thought, `Doop head?' Whatever. This talk about Kashima and his friends was getting on his nerves.
 
“…stop…”
 
“Wha…?”
 
“Don't talk about Syaoran.”
 
“…sorry…”
 
“…ehem…Calculus…”
 
“Eh?”
 
“……”
 
“Oh! You're asking why I dropped out of AP?” Natsumi guessed, “Well, the workload is WAY too much. I thought I'd take it easy with math. I already do so much in my other classes; it was getting…how do you say it? `Hectic'.”
 
“Mhm.” `Hectic?' Syaoran thought, `She doesn't do majority of the work from her other classes anyway.'
 
“Oh! I have a question for you now!” She pointed a finger at him, “How did you know my real parents abandoned me?”
 
“Ah…” Syaoran's eyes looked rapidly about; he felt slightly uncomfortable, “You mentioned your parents before, and you referred to them as `real'. Mr. and Mrs….Makoto.”
 
“OH! I remember now!” She began rubbing her chin, “I wonder what I was talking about.”
 
“……” Syaoran was about to say something about mint, but then decided not to.
 
“Well, I turn right here Kashima!” Natsumi said, pointing to the fork in the road, “See ya tomorrow!”
 
“……”
 
--------------------------------------------------------
 
“Let's fight!”
 
It was another day of school, and Natsumi stood in the hallway, staring at Kashima who had just pulled her out of the classroom after their continuous bickering.
 
“Fight?!” Natsumi shrieked, joy flooding her face, “I'll fight you anytime and anywhere Syaoran Li!”
 
“NATSUMI! SYAORAN!” Mr. Anzai roared from the classroom, “Get back in here NOW!”
 
“Come,” Kashima whispered, catching Natsumi's hand in his grip. Without warning, he pulled her out of the hallway, away from the classroom.
 
“Wait!” Natsumi screamed, “Where are we going?!” Kashima laughed in response. Soon, they were in the back field of the school.
 
“Are…are we gonna fight now?” Natsumi asked in excitement.
 
“Yes,” Kashima smiled, “We are.” This girl was getting on his damn nerves since the day she came - he really wanted to teach her a lesson.
 
“Well then, watch out!” Natsumi grabbed Kashima's shoulders and threw him to the ground. She secured herself on top of him and held his arms down.
 
“Hey!” she yelled, irritated, “You're not even trying to resist.”
 
Kashima's eyes were widened in shock. He quickly got hold of himself, “You really want to fight me?”
 
“Duh.”
 
“You're going to get hurt.”
 
“I should be the one saying that!”
 
“Fine,” he sighed, moving his hands as much as he could. When he got hold of her thighs, his whole body suddenly froze.
 
“What are you doing!?” Natsumi shrieked, trying to loosen his grip, “PERVERT!”
 
“I'm not-” Kashima was silenced with a blow to his face. He could feel a little blood trickle down from the side of his mouth, “that hurt bitch.”
 
“You know, you shouldn't use foul language like tha-
 
“Shut up!” Kashima grabbed her and forced her to the ground so that he was on top of her now. By sequence of actions, their faces became very close to each other.
 
“……”
 
“……”
 
“Aren't you going to hit me or something?”
 
“Shut up bi-”
 
“Don't curse!”
 
“……”
 
“Hey!” Natsumi cried, “Why is your face getting red?”
 
“It is not!”
 
She struggled a little before finally giving up, “…hit me already! Hurry up and fight! This is getting annoying!””
 
Kashima suddenly sat up and got off her, “I'm sorry,” he muttered, helping her up. “Are you alright?”
 
“You're the one who wanted to fight me!” Her eyebrows were scrunched up in confusion, “One of us is supposed to be hurt! Why are you apologizing? Why didn't you hit me!?”
 
“Erm…” At that moment, Kashima only had one thing on his mind: `She looks so cute with that face.'
 
“Are you even listening to me?”
 
“Yeah, sorry.”
 
“STOP APOLOGIZING!”
 
“Right, sor…hey wait!” Kashima shook his head frantically to snap himself out of this weird trance, “Don't tell me what to do…BITCH!”
 
“ARGH! I'm going back to class,” Natsumi turned around and started walking toward the school door, “Call me to fight once you get your head fixed…AND DON'T CALL ME A YOU-KNOW-WHAT!”
 
“H-hey! People don't walk away from me! I WALK AWAY FROM THEM!” Kashima ran after her, desperately trying to straighten things out in his head.
 
--------------------------------------------------------