Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Through A Looking Glass 平安京の櫻物語 ❯ moon never beams without bringing dreams ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Through a looking glass
By: Aisaki Sumi
o
o
o
Chapter 13 the moon never beams without bringing dreams
Nothing here is motionless—
Nothing saves the airs that brood
Over the magic solitude
o
o
o
 
Heian Jidai (Heian Period), 1179, mid-winter, Near Heian-Kyo, Taira Military Training camp
 
“Urgent report, General!” Meiling forced her way through the somewhat crowded tent, and kneeled down. But before she did so, she gave Sakura a lingering look and then kept her eyes fixed on the ground with her head lowered. A scroll was held into the air, on Meiling's palms as she waited for Syaoran's approval.
 
Syaoran furrowed his eyebrows at the sight of the scroll. He strode towards it and grabbed it from Meiling's palms. He unrolled it in a swift motion, and skimmed through the words. As he read on, people standing in the room literally held onto the breaths, except two of course. Sakura kept her expression straight, while Yukito remained as cold and stoic as ever.
 
“It's a letter from the Minamoto Clan.” He finally averted his attention from the bamboo scroll presented before, and announced emotionlessly. The aloof look on his face rendered his expression unreadable, except to his best friend Yukito.
 
Yukito knew it was Syaoran's way of expressing his angers. The colder his expression was, and the calmer his presence was, the more intimidated and furious he became.
 
It was like a deep plunge before a perishing storm. After all, he had been the best friend of this man, leading the three armies of Japan. Syaoran was as talented as he was powerful, and being the closest friend of such a man could have its downsides as well.
 
Silver eyes then slid upon the young man next to his best friend. Sakuma Ryuichi was his name. Yukito had ordered a secret search of his identity, but found none. He seemed to appear out of thin air, leaving no traces behind, just like his personality and his way of handling things - quick and clean, as if the problem had never occurred in the first place.
 
And his beauty, if one could describe a man by such a word, caused an alarming ripple affect in the army and to worsen the situation, the effect extended from mere soldiers to their ultimate leader. It was in his friend's nature to trust someone so easily like that, and let alone risking his life to protect.
 
There were underlying secrets shared between this Sakuma-san and his friend, something he wasn't informed of, and he was determined to find out what it is exactly.
 
While Yukito was lost in his own contemplation, Meiling was also facing inner struggles of the thought herself. She didn't know the reason behind Syaoran-sama's order of placing her into the guards. Perhaps it was a wrong judgement she made by revealing her martial arts abilities, but she couldn't help it.
 
Lady Sakuno was taken away by the enemies, how could she keep still, sit there and watch? It wasn't in her nature to do such a thing, not after her pledge of full loyalty to her ladyship.
 
While the other reason, and the important one too - the one that she had to hide away because it was so wrong and sinful to think of her ladyship that way - was that Meiling had fallen for the emerald-eyed young man at their tavern, and the fact that her ladyship was the man of her dreams probably was the biggest irony of her life.
 
A sadistic joke of life was it, and while life enjoyed its sick sense of humour, she loathed it whole-heartedly.
 
She then decided to lock away her feelings, as if they never existed in the first place, and followed Lady Sakuno to the battlefieled - where the line dividing life and death was so blurred to a point that she thought she could, might as well be, wandering on the verge of it right now.
 
Yet, a part of her was content about it, all she wanted to do was stay by Lady Sakuno's side, and to provide her with protection. It was all she wished for. Sometimes, even that could be a little too much to ask for.
 
Nothing in life ever go the way we want it to go, she was once again reminded of life's sadistic natures. On the contrary, it would probably take down an entirely different path that you, in your wildest dreams, would never think of.
 
Expect the unexpected, the words of Shang Guan Yun's never left her mind, despite how much Meiling hated to think of them. She had to admit, he was right. It was then she left the fringe of her vision shift slightly so she could see Lady Sakuno, and her eyes narrowed almost unnoticeably if one wasn't keen enough, as her eyes caught a fleeting glimpse at general Yukito.
 
After receiving the so-called Lord Syaoran's order, she later discovered that it was all General Yukito's idea. He didn't trust her, just like how he didn't trust Lady Sakuno, she could see it in his demeanour, and his hollow eyes. That was why he separated them, and Lord Syaoran was more than happy to grant the order, since it was one-stone for two birds for him anyway.
 
After all, by separating them, it would render the both of them powerless, and he would be the first one to be notified if they had tried to pull off anything under his nose. Brilliant, simply brilliant, Meiling snorted silently in her head.
 
To the others, it appeared that they were being granted with great honour, gaining such high positions on their first arrival date, while she knew, deep down inside that it was Lord Syaoran and General Yukito's way of keeping an eye on their, without making it so obvious.
 
She almost let out a bitter laughter when she remembered how naïve she was, thinking that Lord Syaoran would risk his life to rescue Lady Sakuno, and that perhaps Lady Sakuno was someone special to him. However, reality proved otherwise.
 
The blow came almost too harsh, it lifted her off her feet and crushed her into the dirt, as if trying to make her remember the pains it would bring upon her if her mind ever harbours unrealistically wishful thoughts again. Indeed, it left a great impact on her, taught her a lesson of the darkness lurking in the most secret corners of the human heart, and she shall remember this forever and ever.
 
“My Lord, what do the Minamotos want?” Sakura inquired, her voice was as soft as ever, but there was an evident difference in the pitches of her tone. It sounded deeper, yet retaining its original softness. Soothing was it, and gave a rather deceiving image of a kind, well-mannered gentleman.
 
Syaoran remained silent at first as his eyes scrutinized her face, as if searching for her intentions -- as if reading the secret thoughts her mind bore. Finding none of which he was looking for, he shifted his gaze almost carelessly down to the bamboo scroll in his hand and sneered.
 
“He wants what he cannot have, as he always did.” The lone statement hung vaguely in the air, heavy of unspoken secrets and cruelty. The ones standing in the tent only listened attentively, and none wanted to be the first one to break the silence, for the fear of intruding upon a forbidden territory.
 
Sometimes, it was better to be silent, then to be eagerly expressive. Words would betray your thoughts, while silence will protect you.
 
“Now, return to your posts and remain as you are, while I'd like to acquire a private audience for the conversation that I shall have with Sakuma-san.” Syaoran announced with finality, there was a gentleman-like smile on his face, intending to be soft and polite, but when she stared into his eyes, she found no sincerity of any sort.
 
The rest of the party nodded slightly with understanding, some with a faint amount of disappointment and while others were somewhat unsatisfied and jealous of Sakura of gaining Syaoran's trust while they were left in speculation of the contents presented in the letter from the Minamoto Clan.
 
Meiling was the only one biting her lips, gnawing at the corner of her mouth anxiously. But they had no choice but to obey the order.
 
Meiling gave one last lingering look at Sakura, and passed down the message of her sincerity wordlessly. Be careful, my lady. And Sakura simply smiled assuringly in return.
 
Her smile was unwavering, and gentle, despite the fact that Meiling knew at heart it was only a disguise Lady Sakuno worn, yet for some reason, it still managed to tug at her heart every time she saw it. Dipping her chin lower to hide away the secrets her eyes were desperately trying to reveal, Meiling bowed to Syaoran, and exited behind everyone else, with Yukito taking the lead.
 
The tent was now still and soundless once again, with the occasional painful moans from the dying soldiers that gradually grew fainter and more distant as time passes by so ruthlessly.
 
It was only a matter of time before they reach the end of the road, and Sakura could only watch death slowly creep upon them, and the shinigami's attempts to procure their souls. (Shinigami is the Japanese death god, equivalent to reapers in the English language)
 
They both remained silent, the game of mind and tactics never grows old, and they, conceivably, were the best players of this game. A soft, humourless chuckle disturbed tranquility, “it has always been a puzzle to me of how Minamoto no Yoshitsune (Eriol) want you as a part of his army, care to explain, Lady Sakuno?” He murmured her so-called name ever so lightly, yet it seemed to her as silk sliding over a sharp blade.
 
“There is nothing to explain, my lord, I know nothing of this Minamoto no Yoshitsune, and let alone be useful to him.” Sakura replied nonchalantly, as if she was responding to a question such as `how's the weather' or something along those lines.
 
Even if the enemy has seen through your disguise, you still have to remain calm and admit to nothing. Otherwise it would be victory to the enemy, of a battle that hasn't even begun yet.
 
Amber eyes glinted with a hint of danger, but only for a brief moment. “Saa, you don't know him, yet he is able to provide such a vivid description of your appearance and attitude. It makes me curious, very curious.”
 
“Forgive me for speaking these conceived words, but with the looks I have obtained since birth, it is rather hard to miss for the eye.” A degage grin crept upon Sakura's lips and the corners of her lips were lifted slightly, producing a smile that could shame the beauty of the sun.
 
Syaoran's vision was temporarily blurred by such invasive beauty, and he could almost see such beauty beguiling Minamoto no Yoshitsune. It was hard to stay collective and clear-minded around a woman like Sakura, and Syaoran mused, it probably was only a matter of time before he was bewitched by this woman who supposedly was his wife.
 
Witty, beautiful, fearless and talented in almost everything, was God being too unfair when he made men and women. She was flawless, or so he thought. Perfection, regardless of its nature, whether it is apparent or actual, was only a disguise. Once a hidden flaw is discovered, it shatters instantly upon the discovery.
 
”Minamoto no Yoshitsune is proposing a trade. It would bring temporary peace to both armies. The time produced this way is very beneficial to us, we have too many wounded and poisoned soldiers that need time to recover before they can go on the battlefield again. But if we do not agree to the conditions they proposed, we would have to meet tomorrow morning -- on the battlefield that is.”
 
Sakura pursed her lips into a thin line and contemplated upon the pros and cons. Syaoran already hinted that Eriol wanted to claim her. He already tried that last time, by force, and this time, it was an agreement of temporary peace. Judging from the current situation, they were in a slightly disadvantaged position, almost half of the soldiers wounded and sick, they would be outnumbered.
 
And most of these men never had experience with fighting before, while the Minamoto men had been well-trained since the beginning of the rebellion. Eriol carefully planned out two attacks on them, using her as an excuse, but in actuality, he aimed to perish the newly formed Taira army from inside and out, so they would not be able to aide the main Taira army that was currently in war with the Minamoto rebels.
 
This was a stone for three birds plan, and perhaps even more. Eriol probably already discovered the fact that she was someone close to Syaoran, and the only way to destroy one's enemy is to start with the ones around him. Eriol was placing his money on the bet that Syaoran would not give Sakura out, after all, it was a direct blow to a man's pride by claiming his wife.
 
But then again, the supposed “Lady Sakuno” was in Heian-Kyo at the moment, disguised by Miyuki, so technically, it would not hurt Syaoran's pride. If Syaoran wanted to save his pride and claim that the real Lady Sakuno was in Heian-Kyo, and denying the fact that the woman being captured was actually his real wife.
 
Then, the world would think Eriol had captured a random woman to use her as a bluff. Her existence would be meaningless and futile. Everything she fought so hard to gain would be lost, vanished into thin air - wiped out of history, of the whole existence of human beings.
 
Sakura clenched her hands into tight fists, her nails digging into the flesh of her palms. The pain was a relief, it cleared up her thoughts and allowed her to see again. If she were to die, it would be with great honours, and she would make sure her name was written down on the pages of recorded history.
 
“I've come to offer my service to your lordship, and if it is beneficial to the Taira army, I do not mind making this sacrifice.” Sakura offered. If her life were to end, it had least needed to end in her own hands.
 
She controlled her own life, and no one could take that away from her, not Syaoran, not Eriol, not even fate itself. She has defied fate up to this point, and she was not wiling to back down without a fight.
 
Amber eyes flashed wide open so ephemerally, in an instance too short to be recognized, the surprised look was gone as soon as they surfaced. “Offering your service?” Syaoran echoed, pausing.
 
“Do you understand what you're saying? Once you step out of this military camp and follow the Minamotos, there is no coming back. Even if you managed to come back alive, you would not be able to come back to the Taira family, nor your own family. You would be an outcast.” He narrated, keeping his voice low and soft, but Sakura could hear the hints of anger in his words.
 
Stretching her smile into something almost wistful, something that Syaoran had never seen before or imaged ever seeing, Sakura gazed into his eyes, pools of emerald mixing with amber, locking their eyes together.
 
“I have nothing to lose. This is the path I've chosen for myself. Miyuki is the new Lady Sakuno now, she is loyal to me, you don't have to worry about her slipping out the word. And I am just Sakuma Ryuiichi, Taira no Syaoran's acquaintance. That is all.”
 
She had thoroughly thought through her predicaments, of her fates if he agreed to Eriol's proposal.
 
He didn't know what he was feeling at this particular moment. Anger? Sadness? Indifference? No, none of that, it was something else that he couldn't quite identify.
 
In truth, he could have let the Minamotos capture her the first time they pulled a sneak attack on him and his army. But he chased after her, and experienced life and death with her. He didn't know what got into him at that time, perhaps it was his pride, so defiant and proud, refusing to let his enemies capture his people under his nose, or was it something else…
 
……
 
The next day, the Minamotos came, with Eriol taking the lead, and by his sides, stood a thousand armed riders. It was the first time Sakura had seen him since that fateful night of their departure under the serene moonlights. He looked much different now, handsome, proud and lofty.
 
Sitting on his ink-black horse, he had his chin tilted upward, as if looking down upon the Taira army in a ruling king. Sakura stood by Syaoran's side, and witnessed the spectacular form of neatly aligned riders circling the entire Taira camp. She inhaled deeply and grabbed his hand, he flinched at the touch but was soon froze in place as she passed a pendant to him.
 
Before he could question the reason behind her actions, she already stepped forward. Her white kimono's sleeves fluttering in the air as she gradually sundered towards the solemn riders, she looked like a white butterfly escaping into the air, while the entire Taira army watched her svelte frame moving forward elegantly yet fearlessly.
 
It looked like a watercolour painting, a shockingly beautiful young man in white and sleeves that flapped like wings. The sky was a sad shade of blue. By no wind were those closed driven, rustling through the unquiet heaven, and those trees stirred and palpitated like the chill seas.
 
Over the hills the lilies laid, so restlessly, weeping a nameless sorrow. They waved, back and forth, and at their fragrant tops, eternal dews came down in drops; they wept, and wept, and from their delicate stems, perennial tears descended in gems.
 
Eriol's eyes were fixed upon the approaching delicate figure, she was finally his. He went against the wishes of his brother to get her out of the Taira clan, it was the first time he disobeyed his brother, shocking masses of people. However, it was all for her, the woman of his dreams.
 
She had been on his mind since their departure and he vowed he would come back for her. To accomplish that, he sent two of his most trusted soldiers to keep an eye on her and had discovered a shocking truth that she was a member of the Taira household.
 
There were rumours that Taira no Syaoran's wife was a gravely-ill woman and that his father wanted an heir to be produced from him, thus, beautiful women were sent to the Taira household to seduce Syaoran.
 
He had speculated that she had to be one of them, and the one that captured Syaoran's attention with her beauty and wit, otherwise, Syaoran would never indulge her to wander the streets of Heian-kyo so freely.
 
When his men reported to him that they had spotted her trailing after the marching Taira army shocked him even more, it was then he made the firm decision of capturing her and at the same time perish the Taira army led by Syaoran as a way of making it up to his brother.
 
But he didn't expect Syaoran to risk his life for her. A brilliant idea then came to him, which led to the proposal brought to the Taira army, an exchange for temporary peace for both armies.
 
Once the defiant woman arrived at his feet, he widened his grin. His lieutenant colonel ordered her to bow to him, but she just sneered, “The Taira clan has kept their part of bargain and now it is your time to keep your words.”
 
“Are you sure the Taira clan has signed the treaty?” The familiar voice hardly trembled, smooth, soft and low, it was different from the voice Sakura remembered, yet, it still managed to betray overtones of overbearing iciness.
 
Before Sakura could frown, Eriol flashed open the wooden scroll sent out yesterday by Syaoran. It was empty. It was empty…the words resonated loudly in her mind, producing endless echoes tauntingly. How could it be empty…
 
She whipped her head around to question Syaoran, but only saw his eyes narrowing with fury. Why? Why would he do that? Doesn't he know what this would bring upon the Taira army? “Prepare arrows.” The command escaped Eriol's mouth so ruthlessly, intruding upon Sakura's perplexed mind.
 
“Stop!!” She yelled, her voice hovering over the clings of metals. This immediately captured Eriol's attention. She pulled out a rueful yet almost cruel smile, “before I left the Taira military camp, I have swallowed a poison given by lord Syaoran. The antidote is in the pendant he's holding right now. The poison will kill me in two hours, but if you keep your side of the bargain, I will come with you and Lord Syaoran will send out a soldier to bring the antidote.”
 
Eriol tightened his grapple on the rein of his horse and glared hard at Sakura. She couldn't fool him with her little tactic. There was no way Syaoran would do such a thing to her. He was willing to wage a war over her, at the risk of being completely triumphed over.
 
She probably poisoned herself, so she could use the love he has for her against him. He should've seen his coming. She was nothing like the women he knew of, rather, she was everything they weren't, cruel, cold-blooded, yet smart and collective. As if nothing in the world could bring her down.
 
“Retreat!” Eriol shout out the order and whipped his horse hard, before lifting Sakura onto his horse and dashing away. With one last lingering look at Syaoran, she mouthed the words `stay there, don't come after me' before mists of floating dust blinded her views of him.
 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
 
Entirely unedited. I'm as blind as a bird, and totally oblivious to my own mistakes as I write, so blink and you'll miss it.
.
.
.
.
.
A/N: holy crap that was long chapter. 4000 words. Can't remember the last time I've written such a long chapter. Anyhow, hope this chapter wasn't much of a disappointment. I'm still new to writing epic stories. When you read an epic tale, you don't really think of how it was formed by the writer, but when you actually write one yourself, it suddenly becomes hard. Especially when it involves history. Sweatdrop. But I think I've brought this upon myself. Gah. Remember to drop me a nice little review. Reviews are very inspirational to the writer, and I know you guys are lazy, but please let me know if you've liked the story or not. When the writer gets reviews, she becomes happy, and when she's happy, she writes and updates more frequently. It's a win-win-situation for all, so get all your lazy asses up and write a review of one of two words!
 
Anyway, I was just talking to my readers on facebook last night, which unexpectedly turned into a discussion board, lmao, about how CCS fandom is so dead in these days. Well, here's my desperate attempt to revive it, and I'm hoping, by the end of this story, CCS could gain back a bit of its liveliness from before. Cough. I might post another chapter this weekend, depends on how productive I am. I read something on the Harvard library thingy, and it says, something along these lines that “only the unsuccessful ones complain about not having enough time to complete their tasks. A person who is living their day to the fullest, and utilising every moment of time they get, would never complain about not being able to meet deadlines and complete the tasks they intended on completing.” So, it inspired me a bit, I always complain about how much crap I have to do as an engineer. We have the most hours of class per week, we have the most amount of homework, we have the toughest courses, and we need to get good marks in order to go to a good graduate school - and all that, coming down at once on my shoulder and I thought I would never have enough time to do all that plus my writings. But now, I'm trying out different ways of time management. I write a little bit every single day, on the subway, and during the ten minutes breaks I have in between classes. This way, I could probably produce a chapter per week at least.