Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Through A Looking Glass 平安京の櫻物語 ❯ Deep into the darkness, peering ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Through a looking glass
By: Aisaki Sumi
o
o
o
Chapter 14 Deep into the darkness
o
o
o
In the midst of which all day
The red sun-light lazily lay.
 
Syaoran stood still, his hand holding tightly onto the pendant given by Sakura as he watched her being carried away on the now howling wind, and by his worst enemy. His eyes, tracing her silhouette with desire battling against regret showing in his eyes.
 
He wanted to call out her name, but felt his voice was faint as Sakura's shadow grew more faded. It was like trying to call someone in a snow storm, the other disappearing from his sight, the defiance and the dazzling smile diminishing into a wall of white fury, getting further and further away while his feet remained stuck in snow.
 
It was pointless to shout, so he could only whisper. “Sakura…” and in this mind, the snow kept on falling.
 
The murmur had been purposely soft and quiet, but Meiling, who was standing just a few meters away from Syaoran, had exceptionally sharp learing when the occasional need rose, and was stunned to hear him calling the foreign name “Sakura”, rather than Sakuno.
 
Meiling didn't know if it was intentional, but if it was, there had to be a connection between these two names. Irritated, she could only ask Lady Sakuno about it after she saves her from the Minamotos.
 
It irked her to no end that the other pulled her to the side before the Taira clan comes face to face with the Minamoto Clan, and told her to stay with the army no matter what. It is an order. She recalled Sakura's words, and her smile, the enigmatic smile, so gentle and yet cutting at the same time.
 
She was so perplex upon hearing those words at the time, and now she knew why.
 
Rules are meant to be broken and orders are meant to be overruled, she comforted herself inwardly and found herself able to grin again. Yes, that's the plan. Besides, she didn't respond to the order with the usual “yes my lady”, and even if she did, she could deny it.
 
But for now, she could only stand here and prepare a perfect plan for rescuing lady Sakuno. Temporary defeats mean nothing when one would ultimately triumphs over at the very end. She would be such a person; she's certain of that…
 
……
 
Looking a tad ruthfully at the fast shrinking view of the Taira military campus and the man who, in the end, ultimately chosen to wage a war against the more advantaged Minamoto Clan, than selling her to the enemy, Sakura felt a bundle of emotions surging into her heart, yet she couldn't quite identify what they were.
 
They felt too strange to her system. No one had ever done something like that for her before. At first, it was saving her life, he didn't have to, but he did, and she could only convince herself that he did it out of pride rather than sentiments. And now, he once again managed to surprise her. It was out of his nature to do such a thing.
 
If he was on his rightful mind, he would never chose war over a woman, yet he did, he did…the fact tugged at her heart restlessly. But why? The question echoed in her mind, desperately wanted to be answered. She thought of him, the man who could provide her with a satisfying answer, but he was no where to be found.
 
For the first time in a very long time, Sakura felt a little lost.
 
After they had left the Taira camp, Sakura was bundled into a carriage specially prepared for her, and sent off to some unknown destination by the enemies of her current state.
 
Watching the scenery fleeing past her window, she couldn't help wondering if she was being sent on an adventure she couldn't return from, although she would find a way back somehow, but she wasn't certain how long it would take to happen.
 
Either way, she had her survival talents, and no matter what lied ahead of her, she would retain her composure and find a way to survive this brutal world called reality.
 
As the trip continued, Sakura occasionally cast fleeting glimpses upon the navy-haired young leader of the powerful Minamoto army, and recollected the memories of their unexpected yet inevitable meeting. The first time they met, he shoved poison down her throat so she could aid him in his escape.
 
The second time they met, she pretended to be poisoned so she could protect the man she never thought would protect. Life was simply that strange sometimes. Fate wanted their lives entwined and all tangled up in a messy lock of threads, and maybe it was for a reason full beyond the mortal comprehension, but whatever it was for, she could only bare bitter resentment against it.
 
She had a faint suspicion of what was going to happen next, but nothing prepared her for the expensive looking compound the carriage drew beside. The building was somewhat small, but it retained the elegancy and delicacy of wealthy households during the Heian era.
 
The lights were on when she was directed to enter the compound, with Eriol no where to be found and only two dozen soldiers acting as guards. Strangely the place felt, with its soft, piped traditional Japanese music playing in the background by musicians of the household and maids standing in a perfectly formed line. A rather luxurious prison, if it could be considered as one.
 
“Sakuma-san.” A soft voice by the door startled her, and she instantly swerved around to meet the eyes of the owner of those words. Those cerulean orbs were as breathtakingly beautiful as she remembered, along with his astonishingly handsome features, formed a countenance not so easily to be forgotten.
 
Yet he seemed different somehow. Perhaps it was the way he dressed, the casual clothing masked away some of his oppressive aura and added a bit of exquisiteness.
 
“Please make yourself comfortable. It will be your new home from now on. I've order this compound to be built just for you. It's a smaller rendition of the Heian-kyo compounds.” A hiatus, as if waiting for a response from her, even though he was certain she would provide him with none.
 
“These are the maids I've prepared for you.” He went on, directing her attention back to the bowing maids. He seemed a little excited, like a little boy showing off his toys to his friends.
 
“What is it that you want from me, Lord Eriol?” Sakura questioned, narrowing her eyes into an icy glare. She wasn't here for light-hearted conversation, or the soul-pleasing music.
 
Even if the compound was made up of gold, it was still a prison at heart. The extravagance, the overwhelming luxury, wasn't enough to cover up the ugly truth hidden beneath. If he thought, showering her with gifts and wealth would change her mind about him and make her work for him, then he was dead wrong.
 
A long, drawn out pause, whereby the smile on Eriol's face froze, like a picture in time, “what do I want?” Eriol echoed, looking at Sakura with something close to disbeliefs and self-mockery glimmering in those cerulean orbs of his.
 
The smile melted, flowed away. It was a slow and solemn movement, and he suddenly fell silent - seen to be convulsed, in the first moment with a strong shudder either of terror of distaste; but in the next, his brows reddened with rage.
 
“Reading people's mind at a glance, isn't that what you do best, Sakuma-san?” Eriol demanded hoarsely of the dauntless and sagacious woman who stood before him.
 
“Do you truly not know, or you're just playing dumb with me?” Those words, upon his utterance, rang throughout the entire compound, loudly and clearly, and the music had become hushed at the waving of his hand.
 
“If I could read your mind, my lord, I wouldn't even be here.” Those words echoed in Eriol's mind like an endless chant, taunting him, mocking him, and the underlying tone of scorn from the woman he had learned to love and hate, was something he could either ignore or believe in.
 
Swerving around hastily, he strode towards the egress of the compound. Until she learned the Taira clan was no match for the Minamoto Clan, and that her so-called husband could not do anything to claim her back, she would know who she should turn to, he would lock her away in this compound. He had plenty of time on hand.
 
In the battle against time and between two minds, one that loses patience first is the first one to lose. And he was determined to be the winner.
 
“Aiko, keep a close eye on her and give her whatever she requires, but make sure she does not leave this compound.” Eriol turned to the quite, expressionless girl next to him as they left the compound. Her hair was as dark as the midnight waterfall, and those ebony strands were tied neatly into a ponytail.
 
If one were to make an educated guess on her age, solely based on her appearance, one could be confident to say that she was no older than sixteen.
 
“Yes, my lord.” She went down on one knee, kneeling to his gracious. The shadows cast upon her face by the late hours masked away the bitter resentment flashing in her ink-coloured eyes.
 
……
 
For the next three days, the compound obtained a pleasant tranqulity. The musicians were ordered to leave, since Sakura was never fond of noisiness. She preferred silence over music; books over watching traditional Japanese dances. And for three days straight, she kept her silence, not speaking a word since the last conversation she had with Eriol on that fateful day of her imprisonment.
 
He came by a few times to see her, but she treated him with open hostility. Eriol stormed away on the first day, but for the duration of the following two brief visits, he managed to keep his cool and collectiveness. Surprised by his demeanour, Sakura had to admit, for someone as proud and haughty as he was, and to indulge her almost childish actions and open scorns, was quite remarkable.
 
But it managed to irk someone else, and that person was none other than Aiko. She had been attending Eriol since she was ten. For six whole years, she remained to be the only girl he allowed to be in his presence. At first, it was just admiration and idolization, but then, it turned into something more - something she couldn't control, shouldn't feel, but she did; because she loved him.
 
Without him, she would've been dead long ago, beaten to death by her previous master - the one her poor parents sold her to, just for two rice balls. He brought hope and life back into her despairing world of blue and gray.
 
And now, she was forced to witness him being subjected to such malevolent treatments - it broke her heart to see that doleful look on his face when he turned away and wander into the darkness, thinking no one could see it.
 
Such a forlorn look did not belong to a valiant and sublime man like him. But somehow, it was expressed, and she thought even the brooding silvery moon could not compare to the overwhelming sadness she felt in his aura.
 
This was all because of that Sakuma-san, whom she learned was actually a woman after keeping such a close watch on her. If she was the person Lord Eriol's heart sought for, then Aiko would help him, even though it was a jab to her heart. Lord Eriol's happiness was her happiness.
 
She thought to herself, lowering her head as she clenched her fists. Something sparkling rolled down her cheeks from the corner of her eyes as she made a firm decision in her mind. It was probably the toughest decision to make in her entire life. It meant she would have to disobey Lord Eriol's order.
 
But it was for a good cause, she told her self.
 
It was for Lord Eriol…
 
……
 
A gentle knock was heard, snapping Sakura out of her tranquil world of books. She flickered up a glance at the source of the unexpected, and highly unwelcomed intrusion, her eyes softened slightly, letting down her guards a little.
 
It was that quite girl, in charge of bring her every meal. Out of all the servant girls provided to her, she liked her, the best. Perhaps it was due to the close resemblance she bore of Miyuki that let her lower her defensive walls.
 
Sakura watched the girl placing the tray with little plates and a small bowl of rice on the counter by the door in absolute silence, almost in amusement. There was never an exchange of words between them, not even of short greetings. Everything was so silent, the way Sakura enjoyed.
 
The girl had her eyes fixed upon the wooden floor, as if there was something highly attractive on it. Before exiting, she bowed politely as she always did, before closing the door of egress behind. Her dainty form then blended in with the invasive darkness, lurking out from every single corner as the night carried on, as if the world was wrapped in a velvet cloth.
 
Chuckling slightly to herself, humourlessly, Sakura ambled towards her dinner at her third night in this compound. She placed a small needle into the miso soup, the rice, and the delicate dishes - it was a habit she developed since her sixth birthday when she found out that others would put poison in her and her mother's meal, just so they could disappear out of their lives.
 
It was the first time she saw the darkness and the cruelty hidden in the human heart, which seemed all compassionate and kind on the outside. Seeing no color changes, Sakura wiped the needle clean and put it back into the small oaken box it came from, before tugging it back into the pocket hidden in her kimono sleeve.
 
But soon, she would realize that what she ate bore no poison that could kill, but it could do damages worse than killing. Aiko had put aphrodisiac potion into her food, and her needle would not be able to give out a positive test, because it was nothing poisonous, but it was more poisonous than anything in the world.
 
Sakura would lose her ability to retain that jarring composure of hers, no it was worse than that, Sakura would lose her dignity and the most precious thing for women in that era - her virginity.
 
……
 
It was midnight. The cold wintry wind pierced through Meiling's clothes and her skin, sending shivers straight down her spines and depths into her bones. Her face was covered by a piece of black cloth and so was her body.
 
She dressed herself into a black ninja suite, in hopes that it would blend her figure into the brooding darkness of the night. To make her invisible to the naked eyes and to boost up her confidence of saving Lady Sakuno, she had seen and heard stories of secretive assassins dressed this way, and it should definitely work. Or so she thought.
 
Meiling swiftly made her way from tent to tent, occasionally taking hideouts to conceal herself from the patrolling soldiers. It took her a while to get out of the heavily guarded Taira military camp, and when she thought she had succeeded to gone fully unnoticed, she felt a hand grappling her shoulder.
 
The warm emitted from that person's palm forced Meiling into realization that her plan had failed. Gulping, Meiling tried to move her petrified body, but before she could do so, a cold, familiar voice whispered into her ear. “I know you're planning to save her, but do you really think you can do that all by yourself.”
 
Stunned on the spot, Meiling whipped her head around and only found her widened ruby eyes gazing into a pair of pensive amber ones. It was none other than Lord Syaoran.
 
He was dressed in black as well, hiding away his handsome features so he could move swiftly and unnoticeable in the shadows, as if he was born to be in its overwhelming darkness. “Are you going to stare at me all day long, or do you want to be hasty and save your mistress?” He jeered almost cruelly, curling his lips.
 
Meiling frowned and looked away, ignoring him and continued on with her previous plan -- save lady Sakuno.
 
……
 
By the time they arrived at the compound which kept Sakura imprisoned, it was already three in the morning (once again, I'm using the time that you guys are more familiar with rather than the olden Japanese way of keeping track of time).
 
The pale moon light that stretched their shadows, to prevent them from mixing with the blackness of the night, was the only witness to their conspiratorial actions. With a little disagreement of Sakura's whereabouts earlier on the night, Syaoran triumphed over with his suggestion and it turned out to be the right one, much to Meiling's dismay.
 
They made their way to the back door, where only two guards stood. Syaoran shot Meiling a glance to tell her to jump over the wall first, in case they were discovered, at least one of them could get it. Meiling past down a brief nod of acknowledgement before jumping over the wall expeditiously while retaining the silence of her movements.
 
Seeing the two guards remaining unresponsive to their intrusions, Syaoran followed Meiling and they both disappeared into the dominating calinosity. No wonder assassins preferred night over daylights. Meiling amused before she was dragged into the bushes by Syaoran.
 
Tumbling through the bushes and using them as camouflage, they slowly discovered the path that would lead them to the one that had been occupying their minds since her departure. It was hard for them to go out on their way entirely noticed, and they had no choice but to knock a few patrolling soldiers out to reach Sakura's room.
 
Nearing the ingress, Meiling suddenly grasped Syaoran's arm, her face bearing an unusual expression of sobriety. “Why did you let Lady Sakuno go with them, despite the fact the treaty was unsigned?” There, she managed to toss out the question that had been torturing her mind for the past three days.
 
She wanted an answer, or rather, she wanted to prove herself wrong. She wanted to know he truly cared for her, despite the answer might shatter her hopes forever.
 
“I wanted to a confirmation.” He said, keeping his answer short and vague, with obduracy gracing over his face. Only he knew the meaning behind those words, and that was just enough.
 
He didn't need to explain himself to anyone else, and that even included Yukito. He remembered the other storming away after he had turned him down for an answer. It was the first time he had done so, and he didn't even know why.
 
Before Meiling could press on any further for a clearer answer, Syaoran dashed forward and hit the guard in charge of the security of Sakura's room, and knocked him out unconscious.
 
Following that, he hastily pushed the sliding doors open, but only to find Sakura curled up in a corner. Her fragile form was trembling uncontrollably, and her face bearing an unnatural shade of red.
 
She looked disastrous. Her usual collectiveness was gone, replaced by an effeminacy which he could never imagine himself from seeing.
 
Rushing forward, he kneeled down and wrapped a nearby blanket around her shivering body. “It's okay, we are here.” He murmured softly into her ear, hoping it could bring some comfort to her.
 
But she made no replies. Realizing there wasn't much time to waste, Syaoran wrapped his arms around her body and picked her and directed Meiling a glance to follow him while keeping an eye on the patrolling soldiers. He didn't want to fight his way through this place, but if he had to, blood would be shed and wash over this ground with its scarlet stains.
 
Eventually, he would make the Minamotos pay for what they did to Sakura. Until then, they had to get out of here, and fast.
 
……
 
The smell of blood hung heavily in the air as Syaoran and Meiling killed their way out, with Meiling wounded, but they made no stops in between their trip. Riding hastily on their horses, the wind hollered in their ears but it did not slow them down.
 
They had to bring Sakura back to the Taira military camp as fast as they could, since it was only a matter of time before the few survivors of the massacre bring the news back to Eriol. Syaoran held Sakura tightly in his arms, her head resting on his chest.
 
He felt her burning up, and the unnatural red tinge on her cheeks darkened as time passed by but she remained silent. He could see the blood trickling out of the wounds on her lips, made by teeth as if she was trying to fight off something.
 
Tightening his embrace, he heard a moan, and suddenly realized what was happening to her. That bastard. He spat atrociously in his mind, if Eriol stood before him at this instance, he would have been ripped into pieces.
 
When they made their way back to the Taira military camp, no one seemed to be surprised by two black clothed and masked people fleeting through the guarded gates. Syaoran thought there would be some tiresome explanation to do when he got back, but there were none, and he silently thanked Yukito for it.
 
The other was probably had found out about his plan, yet didn't stop him from doing so. He didn't expect Yukito to be understanding of his situation, for heaven's sake, he didn't even understand it himself. But somehow, Yukito managed to read his mind and made his life slightly easier.
 
Syaoran forced Meiling to get her wound checked before carrying Sakura back to his own tent. He gently placed her down on his resting pad, his hand grasping his own blanket so he could cover her up and ask Yukito for advices on curing such potion. But before he could do that, Sakura seized his hand, cold of sweat and pulled him down toward her.
 
His mind went entirely blank the moment he felt her soft lips pressing against his, with such a heated passion, unmatched by anything else. His body screamed stop, but he couldn't. His instincts told him to fight it off, but he couldn't. He knew it was the potion's effects, and probably when the effects fade away, they would regret what they did. But for now, it was their moment.
 
Syaoran closed his eyes. For now, he just wanted to follow the guidance of his heart.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Entirely unedited, I'll do the editing later on. Blink and you'll miss my stupid typos and grammatical errors.
 
a/n: only 6 more chapters to go for this story. Yay! Aren't you all excited? Please review, just a few words of encouragement would be enough for me to go on, `cause I gotta be honest here, it's really hard to sit here and type, killing thousands of brain cells during the time that you managed to squeeze out of your busy schedule.
 
It's really hard. Most people use university as an excuse of putting their stories on hiatus, which I think is just a crappy excuse for their inability to make commitments. If you don't procrastinate, trust me, you'll have lots of time on your hand to write your stories, do your research, and study your ass off for university. I'm an engineer, and I have 36 hours a week of class on my schedule, and I'm managing to write and study and apply for graduate school all at the same time. It's called effective time management people! -nod to self-
 
Anyhow, this chapter is dedicated to those silent readers that actually bothered to drop me a little review in the previous chapter. Thank you all, you know who you are. And I promised that if you guys review, I'll write and update fast. Reviews are the main fuel that drives the writer into updating her story. And we work very hard for it. So, be nice and take a little time out of your busy schedule to tell the poor authoress that the time and effort she put into writing isn't totally wasted. After all, she doesn't get paid for any of this. MAKE THE POOR WRITER HAPPY BY SUBMITTING A REVIEW!
 
Once again, 4000+ words. I deserve a review, don't I? (get kicked off the stage, you've made your point!) -sweatdrops-