Card Captor Sakura Fan Fiction ❯ Through A Looking Glass 平安京の櫻物語 ❯ Trusting to the mildeyed stars ( Chapter 16 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

a/n: all epic tales have the war part, it's unavoidable. And trust me, if was hard on my end to write it out too. So, I apologize for the boringness and the lack of romance, but bear in mind that is only a small part of the big “epic” picture. The war strategy used in this chapter is from the history of the three kingdoms. I'm not intelligent enough to make up something as awesome as this.
 
Through a looking glass
By: Aisaki Sumi
o
o
o
Chapter 15 Trusting to the mild-eyed stars
 
Around these images, and cling
The notion of some infinitely gentle
Infinitely suffering thing
 
o
o
o
 
The next morning when Sakura opened her eyes, Syaoran was already gone. Rubbing her tired eyes, she reflected on the events of last night. She had ingested the aphrodisiac potion, if they didn't come in time, things would probably be worse than she could ever imagine. At least she was his wife, and bearing him an heir was only a matter of time.
 
What happens now and later didn't make any difference. Pushing aside the blanket, she picked up the kimono and the other pieces of her cloth thrown onto the ground and wrapped them around her naked body. Upon getting off her feet, she saw a blazing contrast of scarlet red staining a snow white surface.
 
It was the blood shed by her, a sign of a maiden finally becoming a woman. She stared at it, the strong contrast of red against white was so brilliant that it blinded her eyes, it blinded her mind.
 
For the following month, they have purposely avoided each other. Sakura kept herself busy with healing the bruised, lightly-wounded soldiers who were being pushed very hard by Syaoran and Yukito to prepare them for the battles to come.
 
While Syaoran, spent most of his time with training the new Taira soldiers, baking in the sun, freezing in the water, jogging for miles, making weapons for the upcoming battles, and forming battling tactics so they would stand a chance against the vicious ruthless attacks of their enemy, the Minamotos.
 
There were a few instances where they do run into each other, where Syaoran would turn away and keep his eyes affixed on something else, and where Sakura would tilt her chin upward to gaze at the azure heavens above - all this formed their inevitable little meetings when they bump into each other unexpectedly. Then, they would never take that path again.
 
The two of them were getting along fine like this, but someone else could not stand it anymore, and that person was Meiling. On the night of Sakura's rescue, she was told to go back to her own tent to get her wound cleaned up.
 
Her mind was frantic and worried, deeply concernd about her ladyship's well-being, which resulted her carelessly treating her own wounds and rushing to Lord Syaoran's tent to visit Sakura. It was now a decision she greatly regret.
 
The sounds of shortened breathes, soft moans and the occasional gasps - all led her to one unavoidable conclusion of what the events occurring on the inside. Shades of scarlet red spread across her cheeks as she felt her face growing hotter and hotter by the passing second, with the increasing moans that led one's imagination run wild and wander into the forbidden territories.
 
Then, she ran, she ran with such haste, knocking a few things over here and there, and a few people over on their butts. But that didn't stop her, she wanted to run away from the disturbing images invading her mind.
 
It wasn't hard to guess what happened to Lady Sakuno. Meiling thought she acted quite unlike herself at the compound, with that unnaturally red smudge on her face and by the way she trembled in the darkness. At that time, she pushed aside the thought her instincts had offered her, hoping if she didn't think about it, it would not be true.
 
Denial, she was in denial, like she has always been. During her stay with Shang Guan Yun, she had witnessed his young concubines pouring some white powdery substances into his tea while he wasn't looking. Then, an hour after he had devoured it, his face would turn jarringly red, as if he had a high fever.
 
The young concubine would then lead him to her bedroom, closing the door people and wrinkling at the perplexed little Meiling. She was so little back then, the loud moans of pleasure ringing in the air, reverberating so disturbingly throughout the corridors - she didn't know what it meant back then. But when she got a little older, she understood.
 
The white powdery thing was used to create aphrodisiac potion, famous for its effects of bringing out the lustful sides of people and make them lose control over their body. Under its influence, they would do anything with anyone, in fact, just so they could get ride of the burning sensations in their bodies and the tingly feeling in their heart which would feel like a thousand ants crawling inside their veins.
 
Meiling abruptly shock her head, in a desperate attempt to remove those memories from her childhood from her mind. At least, she was thankful that Lady Sakuno wasn't with Eriol when the potion was taking its full effects, otherwise…god, she didn't even want to think of the scandals that would embrace their already chaotic lives.
 
……
 
Silent reigned over the air as the two blue-haired men sat elegantly across from each other, their legs folded in the traditional Japanese way. Mists from arising from the tea cups placed before them swirled upward into the air, as if blinding their views of each other. Eriol clenched his hands into tight fists as they rested upon his thighs.
 
He lowered his head, letting the twilight of the chamber to cast a shadowy shade over his prominently handsome features. His thoughts were concealed and his feelings were masked, rendering his expression unreadable to the other elder man.
 
“Brother, please let me lead the troops and meet the army led by Taira no Syaoran.” A simple request was said in Eriol's usual emotionless tone, yet the other older Minamoto could tell the almost indistinctive nervousness presented Eriol's voice. With this request, thousands of life would be effected, and their destinies rewritten, by a man of power and brilliance and cruelty.
 
But it was a battle they have to fight someday, and Eriol believed it was better to be fought out now than later, because their enemy on the other side of the river was growing stronger by the passing seconds.
 
“The newly formed Taira army are short on ammunition and experience, it is best to crush them now than later, brother.” Eriol argued, a hint of persistence flashing in his eyes.
 
“We cannot wait any longer, I do not need many men, five thousand would do.” A hiatus; and Eriol could almost hear the time ticking in his mind, blended and synchronised so perfectly with the beats of his heart. A nod, a permission of some sort was all he looked for.
 
“Brother?” He echoed uncertainly and hopefully, eyes trained on the dark and silent figure across from him - the man who he fought so hard to catch up with since his childhood.
 
His brother, the most brilliance man he had ever known, was the head of the Minamoto Clan. Without his guidance and erudition, the Minamoto Clan would remain in pieces and would never have the chance to rise again and even pose threats to the existence of the most respected and powerful clan of the century - the Taira Clan.
 
“You may, Eriol.” It was a deep and coarse voice, as if rumbling out of the core of the Earth. The words were pronounced in such a powerful and strong way that they reminded their listeners of the personality of their owner - stoic, astute, and insidious.
 
“But remember, never let feelings blind your views and your ability to judge with reason.” He added, as if reading Eriol's mind like a open book, and Eriol was instantly appalled as if his darkest secrets had just been revealed to the world.
 
“Of course.” Eriol answered with finality and firmness, as if trying to convince himself rather than his brother. He would prove to Syaoran of his worth and that he was indeed the better man.
 
A man's pride was on the bet, and he would not lose it, not to anyone, not even to fate itself. His brother had told him when he was little, the stories of the fallen emperors of China, of beauties that led people launching wars upon each other.
 
He never thought of himself doing such a thing someday. But life had proven him wrong, again. When one fell in love, it was hard to control what he felt.
 
If it must be decided upon the outcomes of the war, then let it be, because she was worth it.
 
……
 
“The Minamotos are preparing for battles.” Yukito had his arms crossed in front of his chest; his words were as cold as his eyes, and his voice, stoic, low and cutting just like his presence.
 
“Our men are still not fully recovered from the previous attack and the poison. The Minamotos are most likely going to use this advantage.” He analysed, eyes dark and penetrating.
 
“If nothing goes wrong, they would be launching an attack on us in a few days, and a week the latest.” He shifted his gaze to Syaoran, scrutinising him as if searching for traces of emotions that would reveal his thoughts to him.
 
“But we are short on weapons, especially arrows. Most of our stored arrows have been used up in the last attack, and it takes at least a month or two to make ten thousand more for our men. Syaoran-niichan, what should we do?” Atsumori reported the statics of their current predicament, his eyebrows meeting each other in a deep frown at his temple.
 
Anxiety and trepidation were evident in his emotions, displayed by his countenance. Time was working against them, and so much was left undone. At this rate, they would lose, and it would bring disgrace to the Taira family. Atsumori nearly shuddered at the thought of his angry father.
 
All eyes were now focused on Syaoran, their general, for plans and a decision that would both save them from brutal casualties and from disgrace. Syaoran remained silent, his expression contemplative and engrossed.
 
His mind raced at the speed of light to run through all the possible ideas it could produce at that moment, but none could be offered as a comfort to lighten up their difficult situation. It was then Sakura entered the tent, a smile plastered across her face - the unwavering, polite, forged smile that stunned Syaoran's eyes as his vision aligned with hers.
 
“My lord, I think I have the solution to our problem.” She said, the claim stirred the almost vanished hopes in everyone's heart and with a simple curl of the lips, a smile as blindingly bright as the sun enchanted its beholders.
 
Stagnation fell upon them, as they saw the springs of life awakened by such a smile. The dreariness brought out by winter and its dark shadows and the silent flight of the raven-winged hours.
 
“All I require is duration of three days, and ten thousand well-made arrows would be brought to your feet, my lord.” Once the promise was made, gasps were heard across the tent and disbelieves were written on their faces as they gaped at Sakura as if she had just suggested something as holding the sun in her hands.
 
“How is that possible, Sakuma-san? Event the most skilful makers could not create ten thousand arrows in three days!” Atsumori was the first one to make an exclamation, which was then echoed by all.
 
“Ah, it's quite possible, Lord Atsumori.” Sakura replied, with a confidence that surprised all and challenged by all. But she didn't seem to mind the opprobrious and supercilious glares cast at her way. She was a woman of her words, and she would never make promises she could not keep.
 
Those foolish men were always contemptuous, which created their ultimate weakness - their inability to think and see the heart of the problem clearly because they were so blended by their own bias - construing them as perpetually inferior to her.
 
“This is outrageous! What if you do not keep your words?” One of the high-ranking officers scoffed, and Sakura narrowed her eyes in a rare seriousness. Her lips pressed into each other, forming a thin line of solemnity.
 
The temperature in the tent seemed to have dropped a few degrees as Sakura's oppressive and almost sanguinary aura spread across it. The man that sneered at her a moment ago fell silent, along with the others, they were befuddled and perturbed by the fact that such fearful aura could be emitted by such a frail person.
 
“Then I shall be seized and hung at the light of dawn on the fourth day.” Sakura acceded. Upon feeling the intensive glare directed at her way, she tilted her head slightly and gave Syaoran a small grin of assurance.
 
It was now up to him to grant her the chance of using her extensive knowledge of the art of military science, he could either make her, or destroy her, with just a few words of utterance. She felt herself holding her breath, and before her mind could process anymore thoughts, she found the answer she was looking for.
 
“Very well then, we shall give Sakuma-san a chance.” Syaoran said with finality. He knew she was capable of many things, but those things didn't include miracles. Puzzled like everyone else standing in the tent, he waited for his wife to astonish the world with her intelligence.
 
“Thank you, my lord. But before commencing my task of accomplishing the impossible, please grant me fifteen vessels and thirty soldiers.”
 
……
 
Sakura stood by the river bank, her eyes set on the afar. The wretchedness of the earth was multiform. Overreaching the wide horizon as the wriggling mists, its hues were of a mixture of different shades of gray, distinct yet intimately blended.
 
The vessels she acquired two days ago were now resting on the surface of the river, with scarecrows filling the shipboards, wearing the Taira military uniform. The outermost layer of the vessels were covered with a thick layer of straws, and in the cabin, a large war drum is placed in it.
 
Sakura assigned two soldiers for each vessel, one for controlling the direction of the vessel and the other is responsible for drumming the war drum. Usually, the war drums were used to excite the soldiers so they could be prepared for battle, but Sakura had other uses for her war drums.
 
Watching the soldiers adding finishing touches to the vessels, Sakura turned her head slightly to the right. She stole a glimpse from the fringe of her vision at the chestnut-haired young man standing by her side.
 
Almost amusingly, she drew out a lazy drawl, tempting the other.
 
“Would you like to be a witness to the miracle that is about to take place?” Her words were like a poison to the mind, once one was seduced by such low-sounded murmurs, there would be no turning back.
 
Syaoran could only stare at her in discombobulation as she took his hand and led him on board of one of the vessels. There were two tatami-sitting-pads placed in the center of the cabin, and everywhere else was surrounded by straws. The set up clearly puzzled Syaoran but he managed to hold back curiosity stirring in the back of his mind and took a seat on the pad as he was directed to.
 
He looked at Sakura, in a desperate attempt to seek the answers his mind gnawed for, but was greeted with an abstruse smile. The other was determined to make him wait so he could found the answers to his question on his own.
 
The vessels sailed in the mists of the night, with only the faint and serene moonlight as its sole guidance. They followed the current of the wind which was bringing them close to the heart of the enemy's territory. It was then, Sakura gave out the signal to drum the war drums as loudly as they could.
 
Catching the sign, rumbling sound of the drums shattered the peaceful tranquility of the night. The sound was so staggeringly loud that it shook the earth to its core. All fifteen vessels met up in a perfect alignment following Sakura's second signal.
 
The enemy was awaken from their deep slumber, and in a panic, the Minamoto soldiers followed Eriol's command to take their positions into defence mood, as they watched the vague shadows of fast advancing Taira vessels.
 
Frowning, Eriol tightened the grasp on his sword as he stood upon the tallest watching tower in the Minamoto military camp site. It was hard to make out how many vessels were there, and he could only do what his instincts told him to do.
 
“Fire the arrows!” He shouted out the command, and the archers aligning the frontal side of the camp raised their bows into the air at almost the same angle so their arrows could go into a perfect projectile path that would produce the longest horizontal distance.
 
With the sound of the last word still lingering in the heavy air, hundreds of arrows were directed towards the invasive vessels lurking in the mists, like a rain of dangerous arrows. The resonating sound of the arrows piercing through the invisible fabric of the air ringed loudly in the night sky.
 
Eriol watched shadowy vessels tilting back and forth upon the impact created by the strikes of hundreds of arrows. “Ready, and fire!” Repeating his precious command, the rain of arrows like flying daggers all fell towards the wandering vessels. It was hard to see through the creeping mists and Eriol could only direct the archers to shot towards the drumming sounds.
 
Inside one of the vessels, Sakura and Syaoran fought hard to remain still since the momentums generated by the arrows were enough to knock the vessels over, while Syaoran watched the entire process in amazement. He would never think of such brilliant plan and he was quite certain that none of his subordinates could come up with such magnificent plan.
 
Why make the arrows when you could just borrow them from the enemy?
 
Wasn't it listed in Sun Bing's Art of Military Science that if one wanted his army to triumph over his enemy, he should not always depend on making his supplies, but obtain them from the enemy somehow, because it would be burdening his own country's economy and resources to keep a constant supply of weapons for the troops at war?
 
Syaoran was suddenly hit with realization that when Sakura mentioned she was well-educated in areas of war-strategies, she was actually serious about it. But for a woman to become the best strategist his army has ever had would be the most shocking news of the year, and possibly of the many centuries to come.
 
Almost gawking at the woman sitting idly across from him, his mind pondered if she was going to surprise him with more of her talents.
 
Becoming aware of the inclination of the vessel, it would only be a matter of time before it tilted over entirely. Sakura then pulled out her third signal, which was for all the vessels to make a 180 degrees turn so the other side could be used to gather up the arrows.
 
A small grin of satisfaction played on Sakura's lips as she ambled over to one side of the vessel to observe the condition of the straws. The scarecrows were jabbed with arrows and so were the thick layer of straw that covered the outermost layer of the vessel.
 
Humming an artless tune, Sakura watched more waves of arrows directed at their way and puncture through the scarecrows as if they were the Taira soldiers.
 
Realizing the vessel was full of arrows, Sakura ordered the drummer to stop and pull the vessels away from the Minamoto camp site. She shot a glance at the outside, analysing the state of the mist and be cognizant of the fact that the mist were starting to clear up.
 
Their tactic would be revealed like an open book without the thick mists as their coverage. The Taira vessels slowly drifted into the depth of the mist and disappeared as soundlessly as they came, confusing the Minamotos.
 
Eriol glared hard at the retreating vessels while the cheering sounds of the Minamoto soldiers ringed in his ears. It might be a little too early for victory celebration, for he had a feeling, deep down in his heart that they may have lost the battle they just fought it. But it was just a gut feeling.
 
When they finally returned to the Taira camp site, Syaoran instructed the arrows to be removed from the boats while Atsumori and the other high-ranking officers gawked in disbelief.
 
Yukito leaned against the wooden support of the watching tower as he silently watched Sakura. He underestimated her greatly, even though he still could not make himself trust her, he had to admit that he was glad to have her by their side, for now at least. If she sided with the enemy, it would bring disasters to the Taira army.
 
And Yukito was quite certain of that.
 
……
 
For the next several days, Sakura was promoted to the position of the war-strategist and she fully took it to its full use. “We have less people, and going against each other face-to-face would be greatly disadvantageous to us.” Sakura noted, frowning her pretty eyebrows in deep-contemplation as her eyes scanned across the map laid before her.
 
It was a geographical map of their current location, and a quite accurate one as well.
 
“What do you suggest we do, Sakuma-san?” Atsumori questioned with great impatience and curiosity, his eyes glistening with excitement.
 
After being astonished to his bones by the arrow-event, he had become an admirer of Sakura, and nearly warshipped everything she said and did. Before, he always admired Sakura of her appearance, which was based on human's instinctive attraction towards all the beautiful things in life. But now, he was fully convinced that she was as beautiful as she was intelligent.
 
“Five hundred riders will cross the river to meet the Minamotos in a close combat, and pretend to retreat in defeat. Then, the riders shall fled to the vale not too far behind from the Taira camp site, where most of our men are hidden.” Sakura pushed a group of wooden men, representing the Taira soldiers, to encircle the vale.
 
“Then, one more troop will chase behind the Minamotos once they've entered the vale, such that it becomes a closed field where we are in the dark while the enemy is fully exposed in the light.” Another group of wooden men were placed at the sole opening of the closed vale, forming a large trap to lure in the Minamotos and then perish them like attempting to squash a bug in a closed container.
 
“The first troop of riders will be led by Yukito, to forge an apparent defeat and retreat to the vale, while Atsumori take hideout in the bushes at the opening of the vale. Once the Minamoto enters, Atsumori will lead his men to close the path for the Minamotos and attacking them from the behind.
 
While I stay at the vale with the rest of our men.” Syaoran followed Sakura's suggestion and divided up the tasks. Sakura may be the one coming up with the strategy, but he was the one to provide the army with his final nod of agreement.
 
After all, he was their general.
 
……
 
The next day, the Taira army and the Minamoto army finally met each other on a true battlefield. Sakura stood in the tent with Meiling by her side. Everything was carried out to plans and Sakura had to admire Yukito's ability to lead his soldiers.
 
His success was the most critical part of the plan, it was crucial to the entire plot. If the enemy detected something unnatural about his actions, the plan would fail. Sakura's nails dug into her flesh as she anxiously waited for reports back on Yukito's success so they could proceed to the next stage of the plan.
 
“Sakuma-san.” Meiling whispered, she was told to address Sakura with her pseudo-name unless they were alone.
 
“Do you want to take a little rest, or at least eat and drink something.” She suggested almost in a pleading tone. Sakura had been deprived of food and water since the preparation of the battle and its commencement until now, and Meiling was worried if she would shatter.
 
“I'll be fine.” Sakura replied hastily, her eyes were trained upon the draperies that formed the entrance of the tent.
 
While her countenance remained calm and collective, deep down inside, she was in a frantic state as well. After all, she lacked the experience of a true strategist and everything she did up to this point was purely based on theory. Countless lives were lying in her hands, and the outcome of her plan would decide their fates.
 
“Emergent report!” A young soldier rushed into the tent, there were smudges of dirt and blood on his face, covering his features, making it hard to estimate his age.
 
But by the coarse sound of his voice, which was a prominent trait of the stage in a boy's life where he was transformed into a man, that he was no older than Atsumori.
 
“Speak, dear boy.” Sakura urged, her body leaning slightly forward while her nails dug deeper into the flesh of her palms. She could feel the warm blood trickling out of the newly formed wounds, but it was the last thing on her mind at the moment.
 
“First stage, cleared.” As the boy uttered those words, Sakura felt the heavy weight lifted off her shoulder so that she could finally breathe again.
 
“Very good, report back once the second stage is reached.” Sakura instructed in an authoritarian manner and watched the boy dashing out of the tent with relief.
 
.
.
.
.
.
.
Entirely unedited. Ignore all mistakes. 4600+ words, I deserve a nice review for the effort, DON'T I?
 
 
I JUST WANNA SHOUT OUT A BIG THANKS TO ALL THOSE SILENT READERS THAT TOOK THE TIME TO DROP ME A LITTLE REVIEW. So, keeping my promise of an update this Friday night (its technically Saturday right now), it's almost 2:00 AM in the morning, but I forced myself to stay up and finish this chapter. Like I said before, it doesn't take that long to write a word or two to let the writer now that she is indeed very loved. Buwahaha. Cough. But yes, thank you all for the lovely review, and keep them coming! Don't be lazy! A word or two is totally fine!
 
Diaangelling, Violet Garnets, Sakiyo-chan, thank you guys for the long review you've submitted, I really appreciate the time you've put into writing such a review.
 
And thanks to all the silent readers that took the time to drop me a nice little review! I love you guys!
 
To one of my reader who's sick in the hospital right now, I will try to update as much as I can, hopefully they will keep you out of boredom in the hospital! I hope you'll feel better soon, best wishes~ hug hug.