Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ The Last Time ❯ Detectives' Lives ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Detective Conan, all characters belong to Gosho Aoyama.

Chapter 3: Detectives' Lives

Ran and Shinichi finished high school and college together. By 23, they were both mature and ready for marriage. The young adults invited all their friends and relatives. The wedding was on May 4, Shinichi's birthday. Sonoko came, teasing Ran as usual. Heiji and Kazuha came from Osaka along with their parents. Both Shinichi's and Ran's parents came too. However, someone uninvited and unexpected came to ruin these lover's life forever.

"Shinichi, aren't you nervous?" Ran asked, glancing at her fiancé. They were in the changing room and finally had a chance to talk. The crowd (everyone from Detective Conan) was waiting in the reception room.

"Kind of, but not really." Shinichi blushed.

"How come? My heart was jumpy ever since this morning."

"Well, of course not. It's because I'm getting married to you, Ran, the best girl I could ever ask for."

Ran blushed. "Shinichi, I really do love you."

"I know, I do too." Shinichi took Ran into arms, but winced in pain as Ran's high heels landed on his shoeless foot. He didn't wear shoes because he had them on since morning and his feet were sweaty.

"Oh, sorry." Ran jumped back, face red with embarrasement.

"It's okay, Ran. We're getting married. You don't need to feel embarrassed around me. I'll be your husband." Shinichi smiled at the thought. "Now, get ready. I have to get ready too. See you later!" Shinichi leaned over and gave Ran a peck on the cheek, turned, put on his shoes and left, leaving a red faced Ran happily enjoying herself. Yeah! I'm finally getting married. Thanks, Shinichi. You make my life perfect. Ran grinned and turned to the mirror to finish putting on her makeup.

As Shinichi and Ran leaned in for a kiss during the wedding, a shot ran out and Shinichi slumped to the floor. People started screaming and everyone(people from Detective Conan) ran up to Ran and Shinichi. Shinichi had been shot in the shoulder, near his heart. He was very pale and breathing hard. He lay on the ground in a puddle of blood. Blood was all over his suit and Ran's dress.

"Shinichi, Shinichi, please don't die. You promised you wouldn't leave me!" Ran was crying.

"Kudo, what happened?" Heiji was in shock. Kudo can't die, not like this. Not before me. He promised me in our last case that he wouldn't leave the world before Ran, or anyone, including me.

"It's…them…" Shinichi whispered. "Hattori…get everyone……somewhere safe…they'll be after you next…hurry…" Shinichi coughed and spit out blood.

"Shinichi, how the heck did this happen?" Yusaku blazed.

"Get an ambulance now! The police too!" Yukiko yelled to anyone in the audience. Some ran off to make the call.

"Kudo-kun, I'm sorry. I didn't think they'd get to you first, especially on a day like this." She smiled. "I also didn't think you'd be willing to risk it…but I'm surprised they still remember, it's been at least 5 years."

A girl with short red hair appeared behind the group.

"Haibara…you…are you…" Shinichi never finished the sentence.

"Kudo!" Heiji yelled. He grabbed Shinichi, felt his pulse, then dropped to his knees. "NO!!!!!" Heiji banged his fists on the floor. "He lost too much blood…" he whispered.

"Shinichi…" Ran wailed. Suddenly, she stood up. She marched out of the reception room and yelled.

"I know you're out there, the murderers of Kudo Shinichi. I want you to come out, or don't, actually. Just kill me. I want to be with Shinichi. How could you take away the one I loved????? Shinichi said before, `if we can't live together, we can die together' and that's what I want. Do it now!!"

"No, Ran! You can't do that to yourself. I know you're upset, but you can't do that!" Kogoro grabbed his daughter by the shoulder and shook her hard. Ran didn't look up.

"I'm sorry, to everyone that cares for me, but I can't stand it. Shinichi…was the only I truly loved…no one can replace him and he's gone…" Ran fell to her knees and cried, cried like she could never stop.

"Ran, check your cell phone."

"Huh?" Ran looked up at the Osaka detective. He had tears in his eyes, but didn't let them drop. "Kudo sent you something."

Ran fished her cell phone from her mom's purse and checked the mail. There was one from Shinichi. It said:

Ran, this may be the last day I live with you. Those evil men are after me. They would have killed me a long time ago, but they wanted to ruin my best day, which is my wedding. I know you'll hate me for not telling you, but it was for you. I didn't want you to carry the burden I, Hattori, and Hagase carry. Live. Live for me. There's no way I can escape this time, and I knew that ever since I came back to you. Forgive me for my wrongs, and live. Ran, you're only 23. You've got a whole long life ahead of you. Please, for my sake. I may never be able to tell you this again, but I love you. That's the last time I can say these words…I Love You…These men will only kill me because I know something no one else does. They will be caught one day, and that will be my revenge…Remember Ran, it's your choice…please live…who knows? I might reincarnate. Meet you…in heaven…

Kudo Shinichi, the biggest idiot of the West

"Kudo sent that to you this morning. He told me about this, but I didn't believe him. I'm next on their list, so everyone better leave me alone. I need to settle something with Kudo." Heiji's face darkened. He turned, walked to Shinichi's body, picked him up and walked out of the church to the street.

After walking for a half hour, carrying Shinichi, he felt the pain of a bullet as it shot through his right let. Heiji fell, with Shinichi still in his hands. Another shot rang and Heiji went limp as the bullet passed through the exact same spot it did for Shinichi. Shoot, I didn't have a chance to thank Kudo. Oh well, I'll thank him in heaven. Heiji fell back onto the street. The detective of the Tokyo and Osaka would never speak again.

"Who's next?"

"Agasa Hagase."

"That professor?"

"Yeah, and then Sherry."

"You know where she is?"

"Long time ago."

"You never told me."

"Couldn't."

"Where is she?"

"You'll see."

"You're evil."

"We're not evil. We're the devil."

~to be continued~

*sigh* I'm tired, and I have a gazillion tests tomorrow. I know there's parts in there that's messed, but I'm out of time. Got to study, so don't scream at me…I'll fix it later if you want. Just hang in there. I think it's almost over.