Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Fatal Attraction ❯ Wounds Left Unhealed ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I know I hurt you much this time
I don't know what went on to my mind
I still don't believe it, how could I?
How could I hurt the one that I love?
The one I am always dreaming of
How did I dare to make you cry?
Please forgive me I know I was wrong
Please hold on try to be strong
I'm ready to lose the whole world but to keep you
I know that I made a mistake
If I ever hurt you I never meant to
I won't wait to see your heart break
I'm gonna change everything but my heart
It's where I always kept you from the very start
You shall always be her king
I don't know this time how I got so mean
Please forgive me I love you more than words can say
I'm ready to make it up to you in any way
Promise that you'll forgive me this time please
Be the one to make my guilt ease

Fatal Attraction: Chapter Nine: Wounds Left Unhealed

It felt good to be back onboard the Bebop. It gave her a sense of security and a place she wanted to call home but most of all she felt relieved, due to the consent pressure that had been on her shoulders. Faye jumped down from the Swordfish II and heard the running footsteps of the thirty - six year old man, the door slammed opened and there stood Jet Black.

"Oh great, what did he get himself into now?" He asked looking at the bad bruised, bloodied, and beaten Spike. "It's just like Spike to be getting himself killed. I swear this guy is like a cat, he has nine lives". He then reached into the Swordfish II and carried the twenty - seven year old man down the corridor and into his room.

Faye followed closely behind Jet and watched him gently place Spike on top of his bed. He then reached over to the side of his bed where a small drawer was, that held a few cleaned towels, a bowel of hot water, bandages, and grabbed a towel and was about to dip it into the bowel. Faye sat down and dipped a towel into the bowel and gently started to wipe the blood off of Spike's face. "Come on, stay with us Cowboy".

"What do you mean us?" Jet asked, as he snatched the towel away from her. "I want you take a good look at him Faye because that's what you did. This is your doing, remember that".

"I screwed up, yes I know that, but I also want to correct my mistakes. You should see that I have started by saving Spike's life . . . also for personal reasons", she muttered. "Besides we should work together in case the syndicate will continued to look for him and well . . . I'm now a target as well".

"So that's what this is all about. You made yourself a target by helping out Spike so now you expect us to repay you the favor by giving you a place to hide?"

"That's not what I'm saying, you're jumping to conclusions. Get this though that thick skull of yours I saved him because I wanted to and I don't expect anything in return".

"Yeah let's just wait and see".

"Is my old room still intact?" she asked rather annoyed and turned her back.

"Just the way you left it, you're lucky I haven't touched it. I didn't think there was anything worth taking".

"Thanks, and next time try not to be so compassionate", and left the room, walked down the corridor, and walked into her old bedroom. No doubt about it, the room was just the way she left it when she was part of the crew. Faye dressed into a pair of light gray sweats and a baby blue tank top and went under the covers with the same thought haunting her. "The syndicate will never stop looking until that betrayer is dead".


"So then after we gave him a fatal beating and she ran off with him. However I don't know if he's still alive or not. I recall seeing him what look like to be dead once Valentine put Spiegel in the Starship . . . but of course he could have been unconscious".

"First things first, what do you mean Miss Valentine went off with Spiegel? Explain yourself son", the Supreme Elder said.

"Father it means just what I said. Faye, I mean Miss Valentine shot me because I was about to kill Spiegel then she decided to side with him and left just like that. You can even ask my men, they witnessed the whole incident", Brandon indicated to the men that were behind him. They merely shook their heads in agreement.

Silence came, as the Supreme Elder seemed to be in a pensive trance of deep thought. "Make sure you get that arm of yours checked over by a doctor Brandon", he shifted his seat to the elders who waited for his ruling. "Make a note Elders, both Spiegel and Miss Valentine, a betrayer, will be hunted down and killed".

"If it's alright with you father, I would like to take over that mission so that I will personally see that this mission will be carried out personally. I will not fail you".

"Very well, you have my word. You will handle the operation. Let this sever as message to all, no one should dare to turn their backs on us".


It was 1:29 in the morning and Faye had not been able to sleep. She laid on her right side then turned on her back, placing a hand on her forehead. I can't even get a peaceful sleep anymore and maybe I never will. Look at myself I'm feeling sorry for me, I need a drink. With that thought in mind she got out of bed and massaged her temples with her fingertips as she walked down the corridor to the kitchen. She opened the refrigerator and saw an unopened beer, without hesitation she opened it and headed back to her room. On the way back to her room, she stopped just outside Spike's door. She placed a hand on the doorknob and debated with herself whether to open the door or not. Letting her weakness get the best of her, Faye slowly opened and closed the door. She walked up to his bed and sat down on the edge of the bed, he was dressed in his pants and bandages was wrapped around his exposed abdominal and chest, his face had a bruise and a couple of scratches, but other than that he was going to be alright. She sat still and watched him sleep, he looked so peaceful in his sleep and loved the way his chest raised and descended as he inhaled and exhaled. Faye then ran her fingers gently over the bandages making sure they were secured tightly, sure enough they were.

She noticed his body tighten a bit and heard, "That tickles". She stopped and glanced up; Spike had awoken and was staring directly into her eyes causing her heart to melt over him once again. She hated and loved the way he made her feel. Faye cleared her throat. "Fortunately you only have what seems to be two bruised ribs nothing else. I see you're doing better than before, so I guess I better leave".

She got up and was about to leave but Spike grabbed her wrist. "Why Faye?"

"Because it's almost two o'clock in the morning and I'm tried".

"That's not what I mean and you know it. Why put your life on the line just to save mine, after all wasn't I your target to begin with?" he asked with anger in his eyes.

"That has changed now. I've created my own destiny so now I'll just sit back and let it take its course. There's nothing more I can do".

"What do you mean? Are you referring that you yourself are now the enemy?" he shook her wrist with a slight force. "Don't blame me for this whole scenario".

"I don't know what your problem is Spike".

"Need I be the one to remind you Faye that I gave you a chance to come with me and you refused to because you didn't want to live life always on the run. And just look at yourself now, doing the exact opposite".

Faye turned her face away from him. "I know I hurt you Spike . . . I even hurt myself, for that I'm truly sorry. I regret lots of things but there's no way I could turn back the hands of time". She then lifted her eyes to meet his. "I've never depended on anyone before but now I'm depending on you, will you help me?" she asked her eyes so full of hope.

"You hurt me? That's where you're wrong. I put that behind me so there's no need to apologize. As for needing to depend on someone it ain't going to be me, so why don't you let destiny lead the way, I'm sure your problem will get resolve", he then let her hand fall and turned his head away.

Silence pasted between the two before Faye broke the thick invisible wall between them. "I know you're lying, I've hurt you deeply and for that I'm sorry", she then walked out of the room not bothering to look back, and closed the door.

"Yeah, I'm sorry too", Spike said to no one in particular but himself.


The alarm sounded off, notifying Spike that it was now morning. He tried to stretch but found it to be painful so he reached over and tried to turn off the 'stupid alarm' that was getting on his nerves, but he also found that to be painful. "Damn it!" he cursed.

"Need help there buddy?" Jet asked standing by the door. "I would have remembered to turn of the alarm but I wanted you to wake up from you're beating. After all the faster you recuperate the faster you can go back out and catch some bounties".

"Is that all I'm worth doing?" Spike said looking through his jacket that was lying nearby him. He found his pack of cigarettes and pulled one out along with his lighter. "I wouldn't want you starving now Jet. Considering the wonderful meals you have cooked in the past", he then blew out a cloud of smoke. "Honestly if I didn't die from the beating then maybe your cooking will do the trick".

"Don't you ever get tried of complaining?" Jet asked. "Sometimes you can sound like an old woman, never satisfied".

Spike directed his attention to Jet. "Your point is?"

"My point is that at times it can be really annoying. And at times you can act worse than Fa . . ." Jet stopped in mid sentence, not wanting to bring her name, the con-artist, into the conversation. He knew that his friend still had feelings for the woman.

"Go ahead Jet you can say it. At times I can act worse than Faye?" He took another drag from his cigarette. "Maybe this time I will listen to you, I wouldn't want to act like her".

"Spike, huh, I don't know how to tell you this but she's -"

"Onboard this ship. Yeah I know, she and I sorted out our differences earlier".

"So I'm guessing you two aren't on the best of terms. No problem, I understand, I just don't want to see you two arguing or mopping around". There was a slight moment of silence before Jet continued. "So are we going to allow her to stay? She is now a target to her own syndicate".

"Hn, I could care less. It's not like I'm going anywhere anytime soon. Just as long as she's outta my way she can do what the hell she wants to do".

"Yeah right", Jet muttered softly, but not soft enough as he met Spike's quizitive face. "Why don't you stop hiding the fact that you still care for the woman and that you want her to stay safely aboard here because at least you know where she is".

"Stop trying to figure me out! You don't know how I felt when I found out that she was an assassin working for a syndicate who wanted me dead".

"True I may not know how you felt but I do know that if Faye were to walk in here and ask for your forgiveness, ask to give her another chance, or ask to start anew with you, you wouldn't hesitate to say yes", with that said Jet walked out of the room and into the kitchen leaving Spike in a deep pensive trance.


Faye was in the bathroom taking a bath trying to forget how long it must've passed since that night she had saved him and made herself the enemy. The hot warm water had just managed to cover her breast as she tilted her head back and let her hair soke in water; this was the only time she didn't feel like she was in a prison. During the past week she had avoided to come out of her bedroom because there was a possibility she was run into him. Though when she did come out of the bedroom, for bathroom purposes or a visit to the kitchen, Jet had assured her that he had not come out of the bedroom because he was still recuperating. It still didn't feel right, a tension had built a wall between her and him. Faye reached for a towel and got out of the bathtub. She tried her body, her hair, and dressed in casual clothing. She then made her way to the kitchen hoping the refrigerator had a nice snack waiting for her. Faye scanned the refrigerator when someone unexpectingly spoke up behind her.

"Jet just went out to get some food and should be returning at any time".

This made Faye jump and was amazed to see Spike standing on his own two feet. She noticed that his scratches and bruises were gone; no doubt he was back to the same old Spike . . . except that this time there was something new in his eyes. Hatred. Yes that's what it was, hatred.

Spike's eyes transfixed on her body as he looked at her up and down, restudying her every curve that he knew so well. She looked absolutely glorious just standing there in a pair of black pants and a tight green long sleeve shirt that brought out those loving emerald eyes of hers, which now held a puzzled look. A part of him wanted to forget and erase the anger he had for her, but because of that anger he just couldn't forget her lies and betrayal.

As he stood there studying her, she couldn't help but feel his anger towards her, as his eyes alone told her everything he was feeling. It was as if those were laser beams that were shooting right through her. Her heart ached for a smile, his touch, and most of all his kisses. Faye cleared her throat and spoke, breaking the awkward situation they were in. "That's good to hear". Spike turned and was about to walk out when he heard her say "It's also good to see you out of bed. I mean you do look healthier and in much better shape than - "

"Thanks", he intervened, looked at her with pity, and made his way out of the kitchen.

Feeling some strength and pride come back to her she grabbed Spike by his left shoulder and turned him around to face her. "Screw this, I can't do this anymore. I can't sit back, watch and pretend that I don't feel anything. Every time I see you, I can feel your anger towards me. I know I messed up and I already admitted to that, but it doesn't give you the right to treat me as if I'm some kind of monster or creature". She continued to look at him as he raised one eyebrow at her, thoughts were obviously running through his head. "Well say something because I'm not a mind reader". Nothing but silence came from him. "You can at least did me what you feel, even though I pretty much know what it is, whatever just tell me."

"What difference would it make? Hate or not, it doesn't change a thing".

"You're right it doesn't change a thing. How stupid I must have been to practically beg you for your forgiveness, well, it'll never happen again, that you can be sure of". Faye turned her back to him. "Just give me time to pack my things and I'll be on my way", with that she intended on leaving however, she felt his hands wrap around her waist pulling her to him.

"I don't think that would be a wise thing to do", he spoke with a hint of tightness in his voice. "The syndicate will be out looking for you".
"What do you care? I thought I was some obstacle in your way. Maybe it would have been easier if we had never met if we -"

"Damn it Faye! Can't you see that I'm trying to lighten the situation that stands between us? This isn't the easiest thing to do . . . you know face the one person you trusted and loved. Only to find out that it was all a lie".

"How many times must I tell you that I know I screwed up and I'm sorry? When we enter the Black Scorpion Syndicate we are told from the very beginning that once we're in, there's no way out and if we should decide to disappear they will never stop until you are killed. There's no way on stopping them. That should tell you something about what I did for you but, I guess you'll never understand. It was all suppose to be real simple for me: find the target and hand him over".

"And whatever happened to sticking to that plan?" he asked.

Faye looked down. "You really are a lunkhead to be asking that sort of question", with that said, she left the kitchen and headed for her bedroom.

Spike looked after her as she disappeared down the corridor. He then walked over to the refrigerator and leaned against it while running a hand through his hair. This is going to be harder than I thought. He glanced down the corridor in the direction of Faye's room and thought twice about what she said. A part of him wanted to forgive and forget, yet, the other was telling him to be careful and not fall for the same mistake twice. Making up his mind he slammed his hand down on the kitchen table and began to walk to her room. Damn this love stuff.


The interrogation room was filled with men working furiously on the computers, papers were being printed, and others on the local phones speaking to operators. While this was happening the Supreme Elder sat in his chair absorbing overhead. "Have you located any leads on Spiegel or Miss Valentine?" he asked one man who was by his side.

"No sir we haven't but it's almost a fact that -"

"No! I don't want to hear 'it's almost a fact' I want to hear that it is a fact. Do you understand me?"

"Yes of course sir".

"And my son, how is he feeling?"

"The medics have managed to heal his hand and he is now in his room recuperating as we speak. He has every intention on coming down here and personally taking over this research himself, as soon as possible".

"Very well. As soon as he does make sure and tell him that all matters will be held under his supervision thus making it his responsibility in case anything should go wrong. You may leave now". The Supreme Elder watched as the man nodded and walked off leaving him in his own pensive thoughts. "In due time I will know where you are Miss Valentine, in due time. Good things come to those who are patient".