Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Fatal Attraction ❯ A Prime Target - Spike Spiegel ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

As I gaze upon your beauty, I think to myself, never have I seen an angel fly so low.

Fatal Attraction Chapter One: A Prime Target - Spike Spiegel

Two Years Ago . . .

"Damn it! What do they want?" Faye Valentine asked herself as she stomped her way to the main office of the Black Scorpion Syndicate Building that was located on Jupiter.

This building was no ordinary one, it was located away from civilization, the whole property took about 200 acres, and the compound was at least 50 acres and two stories high with more than 30 rooms and one main office. The floors were wood stained white and the stairs were flourished with red carpeting. 24/7 the compound was always well guarded and the 250 security cameras never failed to watch every inch of the building. Faye had been in the training room, where she was able to focus and practice her techniques, in the middle of her usually weighting lifting sessions when her name was called through the intercom that had been installed all over the compound.

"This better be good", she said as she passed a room that was labeled the "Interrogation Unit"; apparently the room had spoken for itself. At times when she walked by this particular room the cries of pleading could be heard from the prisoners the Black Scorpion kept in the cells, which was located underground. None of the employers were a witness to these "friendly interrogations" however one thing was for certain: The prisoners always lost at the end while the syndicate obtained glory. In addition, what the syndicate did with these bodies was unknown because not once had Faye seen a dead body during her occupation. She guessed the syndicate had ordered for these bodies to be burned, though, once she did hear that a body had been sent back to the enemy as a message.

Faye had finally reached a door that was also labeled the "Counsel Camber", also known as the main office. Prior upon entering the room, Faye smoothed out her uniform. She wore a black pair of pants, with a matching black tank top which lightly showed her stomach, a sliver star belt, black headband that kept her short violet hair out of her eyes, along with a pair of black boots. She took a deep breath and finally entered the room. She noticed there was a long desk with the supreme elder seated in a big royal red chair that was probably used for kings or queens during the gilded age, and four elders were seated on other side of him (this made it a total of nine elders), with the addition of a young man that was seated off to the side. Faye recognized him as Brandon, the son of the supreme elder. And in the center of the room there was one empty chair.

"Ah, we are glad to see that Miss Valentine has finally decided to gracious us with her presence", Brandon spoke and eyed her with interest. "But please do take a seat".

Faye raised her left eyebrow at him and did take the seat. She had other better things to do than to sit here and discuss business matters or lecture her on how great she was on the last mission she had accomplished and thanks to her the Black Scorpion could live up the title as "best of the best". "What may I ask have I been called here for?" she asked.

"Well Miss Valentine", one of the elders started. "You have been part of this syndicate for three years now and I must say that despite you being a woman and your young age, you are the best we have".

Faye looked down and glanced up. "I am quite flatter. Now, what is the real reason why I was sent for?"

"I was just getting to that. You have been assigned to a new mission. Note, not just any mission but a mission that is . . . personal. If you'd be so kind as to look at this caption", the main elder spoke. "Lights please".

The lights went out as commanded and an overhead appeared on the right wall. "We want you Miss Valentine to hand this man over to us", as this was said a picture of the man appeared on screen. "As you can see he is five feet' eleven inches tall, weighs about 165 pounds, brown eyes, green hair, nice skin tone, he is now twenty seven years of age, and very well experienced with a gun. His name is Spike Spiegel".

Faye did note that this man was handsome and no doubt would be an interesting one. The difference between this mission and all the prior ones was that the other missions had needed her focus and use of combat abilities while this new mission, without a doubt, needed her femine instincts; that would be easy to do. "Hn. Before I accept to take this mission I do have a question that I feel should be answered", Faye spoke. "What did Mr. Spiegel do to enight your hatred toward him?"

"Do whatever you have to do in order for you to have him pudding in your hands", the elder emphasized by holding out his hand and closing it shut. "However, I suppose you do need an explanation". He hesitated a bit before starting once again. "About three years ago his was part of another syndicate named the Red Dragon. How can I put this into simple words . . . basically the Red Dragon and Black Scorpion did not agree under the same terms. Mainly, it is always one syndicate trying to prove itself worthy of the title "Crime Syndicate". One day we had had enough and decided to send a surprise party to attack the Red Dragon . . . and it turned out that we underestimated them. One man, who I shall never forget, will pay with his life for the damage he accomplished; that man is Spike Spiegel. He was the best they had, I do not know how but he nearly killed the attack party . . . two of them was my brother and nephew", he looked away. "Most of us here at this table has lost family members that dreadful day, with the addition of loyal members. And that day will never be forgotten until we capture Mr. Spiegel and make him pay dearly with his life. So you see why this is a personal matter?"

Faye nodded. "I understand".

The supreme elder beamed an evil smile. "Great, I knew you would. Therefore, this is why we are sending our best, you Miss Valentine".

She nodded once again, rose from her seat, and headed for the door. A guard had already opened the door for her but as she was on her way out she heard the last words of the supreme elder, which stopped her. "Don't be stupid and underestimate him. Spiegel is wiser than you think". She nodded yet again and made her way out though the door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*

Faye walked into a bar named "Sweet Temptation". She didn't bother to change into some normal clothing since she did not plan on being away from the syndicate for too long; she just needed some time to herself. True she had been part of the Black Scorpion Syndicate for only three years but it seemed it was much longer. Prior to that she had awoken from a fifty - year sleep and couldn't remember a thing. She felt a deep hollow emptiness deep inside of her every single moment, and felt the best way to get rid of it was to become part of something. So what harm could be done if she joined a syndicate? Nothing right? From the very beginning she received the best of everything: martial arts, weapon training, how to handle and shoot a gun, and mission techniques. Faye had mastered in all areas within a year and a half, while most men her age would accomplish this in three to four years, furthermore this had caused the syndicate to direct their attention to her. They sent her to missions and she had accomplished every single one of them. She was apart of something yet, she still felt emptiness within her, true it had subsided a bit but she couldn't deny what was there. Perhaps the emptiness may have been the amnesia she developed, caused by the fifty - year sleep. Faye did not know who she was: no identification, no family, no friends, no memory, not even a last name, nothing. Trying to recuperate her memory had been a major priority to her however, now that three years had pasted by that desire had dissolved. Faye figured that if her memory chose not to return than it might have been for a good reason: Nothing good could have possibly come from it.

She sat at a stool staring blankly at the glass before her as she traced her right index finger along the edge of the glass. Not looking up she said, "Hey Frank, give me another why don't you, a martini".

Frank was a nice old bartender who owned the bar and had gotten to know Faye pretty well. He was about seventy years old, or at least looked it, overweight, going bald, had no family whatsoever, friendly, and full of wisdom. Frank knew everything about her, even developed some daughterly feelings for her and she, in return, had done the same. "Faye why don't you try to humor me this one night and stay sober? Besides, I don't think this is the night to want to stay drunk, if you know what I mean", he said and with his eyes indicted to the men who were staring at her; their tongues practicing hanging out of their mouths and their eyes budging out of their sockets.

Faye simply shook hit off. "They're just some sex starving animals. You know the usual, the same men coming around asking me how much I charge for a one night fling". She then looked up at Frank who was eyeing her. "But if it makes you feel any better I will stay sober this one night. But just this one night, you hear".

"Hehe, I hear ya. And thanks honey".

"Yeah well I don't want you to be getting any crazy ideas in thinking this will be a nightly ritual or something". She shook her head. "The things I do for you old man".

"You mean the things I do for you, watching your back".

"I guess one day I'd have to thank you".

Meanwhile, she didn't notice the man who sat at a nearby table sipping his drink watching her with every move she made. He had kept his eyes on her ever since she entered the bar, it was as if the light shined and reflected off her black clothing, which did fit and hugged her body perfectly. Something about the way she moved made him continue to stare at her as she sat comfortably in her chair toying with the napkin in front of her. He stood up and decided to introduce himself; after all he did have a way with the ladies.

"A penny for your thoughts?" he spoke up as he sat beside her.

Faye felt this strangler sit beside her and didn't mind, but now that he spoke up she felt annoyed. Why can't I ever be left alone? She asked herself. I come here to rest and relax, is that hard to do? She decided to let this guy down and easy, so she turned to her left. "Look I . . . " but she couldn't finished her sentence because she noticed this guy had puffy green hair, brown eyes, nice skin tone, and not to mention handsome. "Spike Spiegel?" she asked without noticing she had said that out loud.

On the other hand Spike was taken away, how could this gorgeous woman know his name? "Have we met?" he asked her.

Noticing she had asked her question aloud she played it cool and easy. "No, but I have seen and heard a lot about you".

"Oh? Good things I hope".

"Something like that", she simply answered.

"Well, since you know my name how about you tell me yours", he then leaned in.

She lashed out her flirtious smiled and answered "The name's Faye . . . Faye Valentine".