D. Gray-man Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silent Redmeption ❯ Fourth Night: First Mission ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hello again! Tsuki here! I'm really sorry that I haven't been updating but I had computer issues. None of my Word programs would work! So annoying. *sigh* Anyways, here's the fourth chapter of Silent Redemption. Read and review!
Last Chapter:
Out loud, Kagome only said, “I understand, I will fight.” Komui smiled and held out his hand.
“Welcome to the Black Order.”
Later that night, as Kagome sat in her new room, she smiled. `Well, I'm finally here. I'm an Exorcist now! And I will never stop fighting until the end. That's what I promised and I intend to keep it no matter what.'
Fourth Night: First Mission
Kagome sighed in relief. She hadn't gotten paired up with the scary guy from the morning!
`I might live! Yes! With my luck, I would have expected to be paired up with that rude and probably homicidal guy in the cafeteria!' You see, Kagome had met Kanda for the first time when she had gone to the cafeteria to get breakfast. It had not gone well at all.
*******Flashback to this morning******
Kagome walked through the halls of the Black Order, all the while looking forward to the breakfast she was going to order. Lenalee had told her that Jeryy the cook was really nice and that he would most likely cook her whatever she wanted. The two girls had become fast friends the day before and the older girl had become like an older sister to Kagome.
Kagome walked into the mess hall and went up to the counter where Jeryy took orders. She introduced herself and bowed to the cook. Jeryy took one look at her and went into spasms of delight over her cuteness. Kagome had no time to react as she was caught in a huge bear hug.
`Need air! Must breathe! Brain cells are dying…' Kagome gasped for breath and tried to get out of the choking hug. Just when she was finally about to die from lack of oxygen, a voice cut in.
“Oi, stop making a racket or I'll kill you idiots.”
Jeryy finally let go after this comment and Kagome looked around for the person that had made that rude comment as she massaged her neck. She spotted him immediately. As much as she didn't want to admit it, he was really handsome, in a bishounen kind of way. He had long blue-black hair tied in a high ponytail. His eyes were ebony black and he had skin as pale as her own. He was wearing an Exorcist outfit and had a katana with him. He was also glaring at her with a killer intent.
Kagome eeped. `What did I do to him? How scary…' She shuddered and turned towards Jeryy to order her meal. As he prepared the food, she thought, `I'm going to try to avoid him. Otherwise, I get the feeling that he would probably kill me without a thought.' A lot of things could be said about Kagome, and one of them was that her instincts were almost never wrong.
Kagome sat down at one of the tables, near some Finders. She soon struck up a conversation and learned more about the Black Order and the Exorcists' job. Suddenly, Reever, to whom Kagome was introduced to the day before, came up and told her to go to Komui's office, where she was soon told that she was being sent on her first mission. Kagome felt extremely nervous considering this was her first mission, but on the bright side, her partner was a friendly fellow named Lavi.
****Back to the Present****
Komui was explaining the mission to Kagome and Lavi.
“Now, your mission is in Wallachia, which is now a part of Romania. You'll be investigating rumors of a haunting there. The full description is in the files I gave you. We've already sent several Finders there but none of them have come back. So, I want you two to see what's going on there. Now, run along now, your train will be leaving soon!”
Kagome and Lavi followed the Finder, Wilhelm, through the underground canal. As soon as they emerged, they raced over the buildings and landed on top of the moving train, which apparently was a tradition. They were given a special compartment and while Wilhelm sat outside, Lavi and Kagome reviewed the files. It was not pleasant to say the least.
“Ugh, this Vlad guy sounds really gruesome. I mean, he impaled 10,000 of his own people in a tactic to scare away enemies.” Kagome was more than a little disgusted by the methods implemented by Vlad Dracula, also known as Vlad the Impaler.
“Well, it did work. I guess that's the only thing you could say about the guy. He was ruthless but a brilliant tactician.” Kagome stared at Lavi for a second.
“I suppose that's true, but still, it's no excuse to be barbaric. And this guy was a barbaric, cruel, a sadist, and just overall psychotic.”
“True, I agree with you there. Anyways, it says here that the villagers have been seeing ghosts of the victims of Vlad and sometimes Vlad himself. They've also been saying that he has taken people from the nearby villages. Apparently they've all ended up impaled on the sharpened end of a tree.” Lavi read aloud the information that was printed in the file they had been given.
Kagome grimaced at that last fact. “Sounds like a serial killer that's trying to mimic old Vlad.”
“I would think so too, but Finders have been killed too. Also, there was absolutely no evidence that there was anyone other than the deceased victim in the area of the murder. Also, there is the rumor that there are ghosts there.”
“Well, there's nothing for it but to investigate.” Kagome sighed, trust her first mission to involve murder and hauntings!
`Well, at least I know how to exorcise ghosts. Looks like my miko training might come in handy. If it really is a ghost, I'll probably be able to do something about it.' Feeling a bit more reassured, Kagome went to sleep, only to find that Lavi had drawn on her face while she dozed. She chased him from one end of the train to the other, causing all of the other passengers to stare.
After the train arrived in the station and Kagome had scrubbed off the marks, they made their way to the castle of Dracula. By now, it was night and the castle looked positively eerie from far away. Kagome jumped as an owl hooted somewhere near by.
“Scared Kaggy-chan?” Kagome twitched.
“Kaggy-chan?” Kagome was already rather annoyed with Lavi for the marker incident and the strange new nickname didn't help.
“Well, your name's Kagome so I took the Kag from it and added -chan!” Lavi replied cheerfully to her unasked question.
Kagome glared at him with a killer intent that could almost rival Kanda's.
“My name's Kagome!”
“But Kaggy-chan's so much cuter!”
“No it isn't! It's weird!”
“Excuse me, Sir Exorcist, Lady Exorcist, we have reached the castle.” Lavi and Kagome's bantering was interrupted by Wilhelm's comment. Lavi and Kagome both looked up at the castle and turned rather pale.
The castle had looked eerie from far away. Close up, it was frightening. The fortress was partly collapsed, yet a single tower seemed almost like new. It rose up in a pale spire that clashed with the night. Huge gray walls loomed up in front of them. Kagome shivered. `There's something wrong. I can feel that tragedies and pain happened here.'
“Kagome, are you coming?” Kagome was startled to see that she was getting left behind and hurried to catch up with Lavi and Wilhelm as they walked up to the steps leading towards Tirgoviste, Dracula's castle.
Whew, another chapter done! I rather like this one. I actually did some research on Vlad the Impaler before writing this chapter, so the details are more or less accurate. Gruesome, huh? Anyways, please leave a comment!