D. Gray-man Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Silent Redmeption ❯ Fifth Night:Ghosts ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Um, hello everyone! School has started again and I'm already exhausted! I go to this school called Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology and you can probably tell from the long name that it's a pretty good school. It really is, but I get so much homework I'm already overloaded! So, I probably won't be able to update very much. I might be able to squeeze in time in the weekends but who knows. Anyways, here's the next chapter of Silent Redemption!
Last Chapter:
“Kagome, are you coming?” Kagome was startled to see that she was getting left behind and hurried to catch up with Lavi and Wilhelm as they walked up to the steps leading towards Tirgoviste, Dracula's castle.
Fifth Night: Ghosts
Kagome jumped as another bat screeched and took off. The ruins of the castle were full of them and it seemed that every time the small group turned a corner a bat would take off. Now, normally Kagome loved the furry little creatures. She found them adorable and good for the environment, contrary to popular belief that they were all blood-sucking beasts. Unfortunately, this little stroll through the eerie fortress of Tirgoviste was revising her opinion. The bats here were all much larger than normal and had creepy red eyes that seemed to stare straight at them.
`Okay, those bats are definitely not normal. For one, their fangs are huge and they look hungry. Please don't tell me they're vampire bats. I thought those things only lived in the jungle.' Kagome shuddered again and hurried up to get a bit closer to Lavi and Wilhelm.
“Creepy isn't it Kaggy-chan? I wonder what we'll find?” Lavi's voice echoed through the hallway that they were navigating through and the torchlight flickered on the walls. Suddenly, the hallway came to an end and the group was now standing in a huge banquet hall. Everything was covered in dust and the scent of mildew hung in the air. Kagome shuddered for what seemed like the hundredth time that day and said in a voice not quite steady.
“I feel something here. Something horrible happened here and souls are still lingering here. They feel angry and vengeful. Maybe we should get out of here. I have a really bad feeling about all of this.”
Lavi opened his mouth to reply but suddenly a swirl of wind howled through the hall. After a long minute, the wind abated and Lavi commented in a voice that shook slightly, “Well that was freaky wasn't it Kaggy-chan? Kaggy-chan?” Lavi turned around when there was no answer and saw a horrific sight. Wilhelm was now lying in a pool of his own blood, a wicked looking dagger thrust into his heart. Heart pounding, Lavi looked around and confirmed what he had already anticipated. Kagome was gone, with not a clue as to her whereabouts.
Kagome stirred and opened her eyes blearily to see a dungeon-style room lit dimly by flickering torches.
`Where am I? What happened? Let's see, there was a gust of wind, then…nothing. I can't remember what happened next!'
Suddenly, a mist began to gather in the room. It was no ordinary mist, since it gathered into a solid shape and materialized into a person. Vlad the Impaler to be specific. He looked very much like the portraits of him that had survived through the ages. His long hair was tightly curled and he had a long mustache. He might have looked like an ordinary human, if his eyes weren't empty of all human emotion. His eyes were a dark, dark black that seemed to indicate a void where his heart should reside. Kagome's heart thudded in her chest. This was no Akuma! This was a real, live ghost! A ghost that seemed to radiate malevolent intent. The phantom suddenly grinned in a leering way and approached Kagome. Kagome tried to move but found that her hands had been chained to the wall. As she struggled, desperate thoughts flew through her mind.
`Oh god, this is not good! What am I going to do? Allen! Lavi! Help! There has to be some way to get free. These chains weren't there a second ago! Wait… if they weren't there before, I could probably burn them away with my miko-ki! Argh! I'm an idiot! Vlad is a ghost, and I can exorcise ghosts!'
Kagome berated herself for not thinking and proceeded to focus her miko-ki, which was a light blue, on the chains and dissolved them. The ghost stopped in what seemed to be surprise, though it was a bit hard to tell since Kagome had sprung up and punched him in the face.
“That's for tying me up and almost frightening me to death you jerk!” It seemed that the punch had startled the apparition enough that it fled. Kagome was now alone, in a room full of shadows, and also seemed to be underground from the sound of running water. Great, what an improvement! How the hell was she supposed to get out?! Kagome felt very frustrated at the point and invoked her Innocence. Her Innocence took the familiar form of glowing white boots and gloves. She then proceeded to bash the walls in. Not a very good idea as it caused the roof to collapse. Kagome was barely able to dodge all of the flying chunks of mortar and got hit in the shoulder with quite a large mass of stone. When the dust had at last settled, Kagome found that she could now get out, but her shoulder ached abominably.
`Damn! I really need to think these things out next time!' Now, Kagome normally didn't curse very much, but when angry, watch out. She had learned most of her curse words from General Cross, who had insisted upon assailing her ears at the tender age of twelve with the foulest words ever. Not a very good influence, nope. So as a result, when she was pressured or very angry, Kagome could curse a blue streak.
“Now to find Lavi.”
Lavi was not happy in the least. Oh no, who would be after being chased by a swarm of vengeful ghosts, being attacked by bats that turned out to be vampire bats after all, and, oh and did he mention that he was currently staring at the ghost of Vlad the Impaler? Not to mention he hadn't been able to find a sign of where Kagome had gone.
“Now, V-chan, if you keep your face like that, it'll freeze. So why don't you just go back to the underworld and go back to, `kay?”
The ghost didn't look at all tempted to do as he suggested. Instead the creepy guy turned those soulless black eyes on him and advanced. He lifted his arms and suddenly Lavi was lifted in the air and a stake had appeared below him.
“Oi! Let me down!” Lavi was not pleased and took out his Size-Shifting Hammer.
“Grow, grow, grow!” The hammer grew to an immense size and Lavi swung it downward at Vlad. Unfortunately, as Vlad wasn't exactly solid, it didn't do much. However, Lavi was but down and thanks to his hammer, was not impaled on the stake. Then Lavi lifted his hammer up and used Hi-Ban. Luckily the walls were stone, so the place wasn't burned down. It also didn't have any effect on old Vlad, to Lavi's dismay.
It did, however, lead Kagome to where Lavi was.
Kagome had been wandering around the castle when she had seen the burst of flame. She followed it to where Lavi and Vlad were currently engaged in battle. Well, it was more like Lavi trying to hit Vlad and Vlad dodging every so often.
“Um, Lavi? I don't think that'll work. He's a ghost, not an Akuma.”
“I know, but I'm annoyed at him right now so I'm letting off some steam.”
Kagome sweatdropped at Lavi's answer. `Wow, he must be really pissed. But still, this isn't getting us anywhere, I'd better do something.'
Kagome looked around for some sort of weapon that she could use. She spotted a broadsword that was hanging on the wall and grabbed it. It was really heavy. She could lift it because of all of those years training but since she had never really used a sword before, she was rather clumsy. She nearly hit Lavi with it when she tried swinging it.
“Hey! Watch where swing that thing!”
“Sorry! I'm don't fence!” Kagome concentrated on the sword and charged it with miko-ki. The blade pulsed with light blue energy and seemed to direct itself at the ghost. It pulled at Kagome's hand and she let it go. It flew straight towards Vlad and pierced him through the heart, or rather where his heart would have been. He screamed and vanished.
Both Kagome and Lavi blinked. Kagome was the first to speak.
“Well, that was unexpectedly easy.” She managed to get that out before completely fainting from exhaustion and pain. It turned out that her shoulder had been fractured by the falling rock. Lavi managed to catch her before she hit the ground. He looked at her sleeping face and smiled.
“Not a bad first mission, neh?” Lavi hoisted Kagome over his shoulder and walked back down the mountain.
Wow, another chapter done! …Looking back, it seems like this chapter was especially gloomy... *sweatdrop* oh well, it fits. Anyways, Allen is going to be in the next chapter! I don't know when I'll be able to write it but well, we'll see. Now I have to get back to the homework I've been neglecting. *sweatdrop* Please review! I live for the reviews!