Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ Danny Phantom -- Return of The Reign ❯ Danny's Decision ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Like in the last chapter, some songs have been added. No, I'm not thinking of this fanfiction as a musical episode if it really was an episode, but it does have some melodies in it! You may think of that as kinda silly and pointless, but trust me; one of the songs will be mega-important later!
Also, you may recognize these songs from a certain movie if you've seen it, which may make it sillier, but please just roll with it, okay?
Finally, what happens in this chapter may, like the previous chapter, may make you see Alissa as Mary-Sue-ish, and I'm sorry. But like I said before, can't an original character just be special? Not perfect and unbelievable?
Enjoy!
 
 
 
~*~
 
 
~~CHAPTER THREE~~
~~DANNY'S DECISION~~
 
“Do we have to go back?” Summer whined.
 
“Summer, relax! It's not like we're going back to LEARN or anything! It's just to pretty-up the school for the dance, remember?” Danny explained.
 
Team Phantom was indeed walking toward Casper High for all of the students had been called back to help make the entire school ready for the big Summer Dance their way. All of Team Phantom were wearing their backpacks that had their lunches, or at least some snacks to go with it, just in case they didn't like what the school was serving, and other things needed for spending time outside since they had a feeling they would be for Lunch. (Sunscreen, bug spray, blankets, electronic handhelds for gaming, etc.) Alissa's backpack was magenta and Summer's was a dark shade of green.
 
“Can't wait to show everybody my dynamite dance moves!” Tucker said as he attempted to boogie around. Danny and Alissa giggled and Sam slapped her forehead.
 
“Fine, as long as you don't sing.” Summer said. Everybody laughed at that, but Tucker looked a little deflated.
 
“Danny?”
 
The said boy turned at the sound of his name, and his mouth fell open. “…V--Valerie?”
 
It was true. Valerie Gray was running up to the gang. Her curly black hair bounced and her emerald green eyes twinkled as she did so. She stood face-to-face with Danny, smiling nervously. “Hey, Danny…it's, uh…been a while, huh?”
 
“Uh…uh--uh--uh, uh…yeah…been a while…” Danny stumbled, rubbing the back of his head.
 
Alissa stared at them, Danny's words from not too long ago when she asked him about him ever being in love returning to her mind.
 
 
“Yeah, actually, but…it didn't exactly work out.”
 
 
“Were they…?” Summer whispered to Tucker.
 
“Oh, yeah…” Tucker whispered back. “They were…so bad.”
 
Alissa, overhearing, took a sharp inhale-then-exhale at that. She didn't think her heart would sting so badly.
 
“Uh, Val, these are my two new friends: Summer and Alissa.” Danny said, motioning to the two girls.
 
Summer simply crossed her arms. “The pleasure's all yours.” She said, already not really liking this girl.
 
Alissa was surprised to see that she was unable to look Valerie in the eye. “Um…uh…n--nice to meet you…” She quickly turned back to Team Phantom. “Listen, I'm gonna go ahead. See you there!” She said before running as fast as her legs could take her.
 
Valerie watched the redhead go. “Is she okay?” She asked as she turned back to Danny, but pointed toward the direction Alissa went with her thumb.
 
“Uh…yeah! Yeah, she's okay…she's just…shy…shy and new. Never a good mix.” Danny said.
 
Valerie turned back to Alissa's retreating figure and smiled with a soft sound of understanding in her throat. “Well, I better go, too; I volunteered to decorate the Gym. Bye!”
 
As Valerie walked off, Danny just stood there, waving. Summer walked up to him and watched Valerie go. She then turned her eyes to Danny, glaring slightly. While gritting her teeth, she elbowed him in the side.
 
“Oww! Hey!”
 
“You're so CLUELESS!” Summer ran after Alissa. “Ali!”
 
Danny stared, and then slapped his hand against his forehead, comprehension emerging. “Oh, JEEZ!” He whined, slapping his face at the word “jeez.” He then started to chase the two girls, Tucker and Sam shortly following.
 
~
Alissa kept running until her lungs were fit to burst and her legs to fall off. She leaned her hands on her thighs, panting heavily. I don't believe I just did that…
 
Alissa looked around and realized that she was in the Gym. There were many kids and they all had paint cans and paintbrushes, painting the walls to make it look almost like a ballroom, but in a funky, lively way. Also, there were some kids hanging banners, ribbons, and other flashy things like that.
 
Alissa looked around while smiling in admiration at the walls, but then froze and gasped when she saw Valerie standing on a tiny ladder as she hung up a banner. She slowly walked over to her. “Uh…hi?”
 
Valerie turned, looked down, and then smiled. “Oh! Hey, there!”
 
“I'm really sorry about earlier. I don't know what came over me. Can we try again?” The redhead outstretched her hand. “Hey, there; I'm Alissa Baker, but my friends call me Ali.”
 
Valerie took her hand and shook it gently with a smile. “Valerie Gray, but my friends call me Val.”
 
Alissa took her hand back and tried to say something, but she then brought her retrieved hand up to her mouth, yawning heavily. “I--I'm sorry. I didn't sleep too well last night…” She said, reluctantly remembering her nightmare.
 
“Yeah, me neither…I mean, with that ghost attack and everything…” Valerie then said, smacking her paintbrush into the paint can, swirling it around angrily. The way she said that made Alissa's skin crawl slightly.
 
“Uh…yeah…what was that all about, anyway?”

“It's Amity Park, I don't think there is any other reason.” Valerie said.
 
The both of them laughed. As she chuckled, Valerie had absentmindedly placed her hand on a section of the wall that the paint was still drying on. She pulled it back and stared at it in annoyance. “Ah, darn…listen, I need to go wash my hands. See ya!” Valerie said as she retreated for the restroom.
 
“Wait! Can I walk with you?” Alissa asked, running up to her.
 
The two girls strolled toward the Girls' Room, talking a little; Alissa was determined to learn why Valerie had denied the chance of being Danny's girlfriend.
 
“So…I heard you and Danny used to go out; is that right?”
 
“Huh? Oh, yeah…!” Valerie looked away from her, her eyes showing gloominess. “…Yeah, we did…”
 
“You look sad…I--I'm sorry if I'm prying, but if you miss him, why'd you leave him?”
 
Valerie stopped walking and turned toward Alissa. “Well…I just had something…something I had to do…something more important than romance. Let's just leave it at that.” With that, she resumed walking.
 
Alissa just stood there. What could POSSIBLY be more important than Danny's heart?! A sickly feeling washed over her, and she shook her head, trying to shake it away. “Wait up!” She called, running after Valerie.
 
“Why do you ask?” Valerie was still on the issue. “…Is Danny still hurt?”

“Uh…well, y'know, only time can heal a broken heart, and even then, you still can't touch the stitches…you know what I mean?” Alissa said with a shrug.
 
Valerie looked down. “Yeah…I know what you mean…”

“…Let's drop the subject.” Alissa said. “So, why do you think the ghosts just…left like that?” She asked, seeing that Valerie seemed to enjoy focusing on ghosts.

“I dunno.” Valerie said with a shrug. “And frankly, I don't care. Those ghosts better figure out what's good for them…especially the Ghost Boy…”
 
Alissa froze again. “…What?”

“The Ghost Boy. Danny Phantom. You haven't heard of him?”
Alissa's mouth was hanging open, but words refused to come out for a moment. “Um…yeah, of course I have! I just…”
 
“I know it…somehow, he's behind this. He's behind almost every ghost catastrophe, don't you think?” Valerie said as she resumed walking, Alissa walking in tiny steps.
 
“What…what…what makes you say that?”

“…I don't know…it's just this gut feeling I've got. Stop me if I'm ranting, but almost every time ghosts attack us, he's there!”
 
“B--but…ghost or not, he's still just a kid like you and me!”
 
“He may be just a kid, but he's also a ghost, and that demolishes any similarities he may have with people like you and me. Besides, he's the most annoying, sickening…”
 
Valerie's words just seemed to echo around in Alissa's head. The redhead's eyes were wide and full of hurt. Slowly, and without really realizing it, Alissa's hands rose up to her ears and slammed against them, trying to drown out what Valerie was saying. She winced her eyes shut, but nothing helped. She could feel something throb near her heart…she could feel something cold…something dark…throb in her heart…
 
Alissa pulled her hands away from her ears, though kept her eyes shut, and shouted from the top of her lungs, “STOP THAT!!”
 
Everyone in the hallway froze and turned to Alissa and Valerie. [1] Valerie's eyes were wide and staring at the heavily panting Alissa, whose eyes, though surprisingly unseen by everyone, started to flicker crimson red.
 
Alissa blinked once with a shaky breath, the flashing in her eyes gone, and looked around her, seeing everyone's stares. She slowly took hold of her face and ran into the Girls' Room, which they had unknowingly reached.
 
Alissa ran to one of the sinks and splashed cold water on her face about four times. As she rubbed the liquid through her skin, she looked into the mirror just above the sink. She gently placed her hand on her reflection. She felt so…so different inside, lately. What was happening to her?
 
The redhead quickly turned her head to see Valerie come through the door. “Hey…what happened back there?”
 
“I…I don't really know…I'm sorry, Valerie…I guess…listen, call me crazy, but…I really don't think ghosts are as evil and disgusting as everyone keeps saying. Especially not Danny Phantom.”
 
Valerie just stared at her, her green eyes extremely wide and full of shock. She said nothing, but Alissa knew that she had some explaining to do.
 
“I know, I know, it sounds so wrong, but…he's saved us so many times, Valerie. Most of the ghosts that we know for a fact are evil…he fights. I just know it; he's on our side!”

Valerie's eyes lowered just a little, but she still said nothing. She walked up to the sink just beside the one Alissa was using and washed her hands.
 
Valerie kept glancing at Alissa as she splashed more water on her face. “You don't…actually like that ghost or anything, do you?” Valerie then asked.
 
Alissa whipped her head toward Valerie then with wide eyes. “Uh…n--no, it's just…like I said, he keeps saving us…I don't think he's an enemy…”
 
Valerie scoffed. “He's probably only doing that to try to win the trust of everyone in this town. Ghosts aren't capable of real emotions, y'know; if they care about anything, it's themselves.”
 
While rinsing her face, Alissa kept her hands on it so that Valerie couldn't hear her growls, or see the anger in her eyes. How could Danny fall for this girl?! HOW?!

Finally, Valerie grabbed some paper towels and dried her hands. “Well, I'll be seeing you.” She said.
 
Alissa simply waved quickly, trying not to make eye contact. She must think I'm a total freak…
 
“Oh, and one more thing…” Valerie said as she turned back to Alissa, her eyes somehow darker. “If you are starting to like the Ghost Boy, like Paulina doesdon't.Trust me, it's just a bad idea. Besides…” She opened the door and began to walk out. “…He'll probably be gone before this week ends…”
 
Alissa stared at the empty space where the African-American once stood. What in the world did she mean by that?
 
~
“Ali!” Danny cried her name again and again as he ran down the hallway. Sam and Tucker had separated from him, and each other, as they also looked for Alissa.
 
Danny felt terrible; Alissa had to have been so hurt seeing him and Valerie like that…even if he didn't love her back, he tried to do whatever he could to not hurt her. She was still his friend, and, especially now, the friends he had were all extremely precious to him.
 
Danny called Alissa's (nick)name again, unfortunately not watching where he was going as he did so.
 
Danny rammed into none other than Dash Baxter, who was currently painting the walls. That collision unluckily caused everybody else near the wall to crash into each other and fall down like a string of dominoes.
 
Danny, who was still standing, bit his lip very hard as he watched Dash slowly get up. The Jock turned toward him, and he expected nothing but cold, angry, ready-to-kill blue eyes…
 
What the Halfa saw instead were his cheeks covered in pink paint, his lips red, and his forehead a repulsive green.
 
Danny curled his lips into his mouth and winced his eyes, trying so hard not to laugh. Nevertheless, as he stepped back from the slowly advancing paint-covered Dash, chortles and snickers could be heard emerging from his throat.
 
Dash quickly grabbed Danny by the shirt and pulled him up dangerously close: a typical Thursday.
 
“You think you can make my face look like a clown's, and then run and laugh about it, Fen-TWERP?!”
 
Twerp, huh? That's a new one…“Aww, c'mon, Dash! It's summer! Can't you let me off the hook just this once until school official starts again?” Danny beseeched.
 
Dash blinked and rolled his eyes around, as if considering the idea. “Mm…nope!” He said as he held up a fist and attempted to slug Danny with it.
 
Danny bit his lip. 3 seconds. That's how long he had to think of something before he got a black eye.
 
Danny swung his legs backwards…and then smacked his shoes right into both of Dash's kneecaps.
 
The football star cried out in pain and released Danny to hold his legs. Danny immediately sprung himself up from the floor and ran like an idiot.

“Grr…FEN-TON!!” Dash roared as he progressed to begin Casper High School's most famous chase.
 
Danny quickly turned at the corner and saw both of the Restrooms. Should I hide in the Guys' Room? No…not even Dash is that stupid…He quickly whipped his head around as he heard heavy footsteps approaching. Aw, MAN…I hope I don't get caught…
 
Dash came to the corner of the Restrooms and, baring his teeth, zipped his eyes around for his favorite punching bag. He turned to the Boys' Room and practically slammed the door open.
 
All the guys in the restroom quickly turned to Dash, and the sound of a few zippers closing could be heard.
 
Dash angrily stomped out of the restroom after checking every inch of it. (And even interrogating most of the boys in there with his fists.) As he walked away, the door to the Girls' Room slowly creaked open…
 
Danny quickly poked his head out, checking for Dash and witnesses. He closed the door and leaned against it; he took in a deep breath, and as he released it, he slowly sank.
 
Danny quickly picked his head up when he heard a flush.
 
Out from one of the farthest stalls came Summer. She proceeded toward the sinks, but her head was tilted slightly toward where Danny stood. His image appeared in her eyesight, and she quickly spun around, both of them wide-eyed.
 
There was stillness, quiet…before Summer regained her signature glare and pointed a menacing finger at the young ghost-hunter. “You have approximately eight seconds to tell me what the heck you're doing here.”
 
“Wait-wait-wait! Relax!” Danny cried, quickly standing up straight again. “I'm just…hiding from the school bully.” He said, the last part sounding dejected.
 
Summer glanced at him, but then showed a rare smile. “I remember how that feels…” She rolled her eyes as she washed her hands. “Once I hid in the Guys' Room for, like…half an hour back in 3rd grade…” She then covered her mouth. She marched forward, grabbed a fistful of Danny's hair, and pointed to him. “You tell anyone that and I'll shove your eyeballs in!”
 
“I won't, I won't!” Danny swore.
 
Summer lost her angry gaze. “You must be something special, Fenton…the only other person I've ever told that is Ali.”
 
Danny looked away as Summer finally released Danny's tresses from her death grip. As he brushed himself off, he gasped. “Ali!” He grabbed Summer by the arms; she was just a bit taller than him. “Summer, have you seen Ali?”
 
“As a matter of fact, you just missed her.” Summer said as she pried herself from Danny's hold.
 
“Is she…okay?”
 
“She's fine.”
 
“So…she understands?”

“Oh, she understands…she's not any happier about it, but she understands.” Summer said as she resumed washing her hands. Danny sighed quietly as he rubbed the back of his neck with his hand.
 
“Well…be seeing you.” Danny said as he walked out the door. Summer made a sound of acknowledgement in the back of her throat.
 
Danny quickly yet quietly left the restroom, eyes zipping back and forth nervously.
 
“Babe?”
 
Danny turned toward the voice. Alissa happened to be leaning against the lockers near that room in deep thought and turned when she saw Danny emerge from the wrong restroom. “Uh…do I wanna know?”
 
“Not important.” Danny answered as he walked up to the girl. “Ali, I'm so…”
 
“Sorry? Sorry for what?” Alissa asked innocently, trying to hide most of the emotions Danny knew were there. “I'm not upset about anything.”
 
Danny crossed his arms and raised an eyebrow at her. Not buying it. He told her in his mind.
 
Alissa then sighed. “Okay, okay…so it was a little upsetting, but…I can't feel that way! It's almost as if we were…well…dating.” She said. She then turned from Danny. “Besides, I'm trying to make you more comfortable around me.”

“What're you talking about? I'm comfortable with you! You're one of my dearest friends!”
 
“Yeah, but…” Alissa turned back to him. “C'mon, Danny! Doesn't knowing in the back of your mind that one of your `dearest friends,' who even fights bad guys beside you a lot, is actually deeply in love you make you tense around me?”
 
Danny stared at her. Silence washed over the both of them. “Uh…” Danny's cracked voice broke the silence and his eyes zipped back and forth nervously as he gently brought a half-raised finger to his chin. He didn't really know how to answer that.
 
“Yup…” Alissa said dolefully. “…One day you're gonna find the one for you…and I'll more than likely still be around…you're a sweet boy, Danny; I know you couldn't go through with dating someone else knowing that one of your friends is already in love with you…so…maybe we shouldn't be friends…”
 
With that, Alissa walked past him, attempting to leave.
 
“Wait, no!” Danny cried, getting his voice back. He quickly spun around and grabbed Alissa by the arm. She gasped and turned her head back to him. “Uh…I--I--I mean…” Danny stuttered, swiftly taking back his hand.
 
At that moment, Summer came out of the Girls' Room, Sam was coming up from the left side of the hallway, and Tucker ran up from the right side. “Oh, you found her!” Sam said as she came up to them.
 
“You…you were all looking for me?” Alissa asked slowly, eyes showing amazement. “Jeez, I didn't mean to make a scene! I just…” She brought up an almost fisted hand, as if trying to grasp words out of the air, but she dropped it and sighed. Danny still had his eyes on her; something was driving him crazy…
 
Attention, students!
 
Everybody shot their heads up as Mr. Lancer's voice rang through the building.
 
Surprisingly enough, the Gym is finished being decorated. If you are planning to audition for roles of entertainment during the dance, now is the time!
 
Summer then gasped, an idea striking her. She grabbed Alissa by wrapping her arm around her shoulders. “You should so sign up for sin--!” Her proposition didn't finish for Alissa had slammed her hand against the Punk's mouth.
 
“Ignore her.” Alissa said hastily and sternly.
 
“Sign up for what?” Danny asked.
 
Summer then grabbed Alissa's hand and thrust it off her face. “Singing!”
 
“SUMMER!” Alissa whined like a child to her mother.
 
“Ali, you sing?” Tucker asked.
 
“N--no! No, I don't!” Alissa cried.
 
Before Summer could argue, Danny spoke again. “Wait a minute…weren't you singing me to sleep last night? After I blew the ghosts away? …Literally?”
 
Alissa's eyes went wide and her cheeks flared. “…You just had to remember that, didn't you?” She muttered. “…Well, I…I actually haven't sung in while except for that…”
 
“Why not? You used to love to sing!” Summer cried.
 
“Yeah, until someone actually heard me!” Alissa cried back, throwing her hands in the air. She then crossed them and turned from her friends. “It's a bad idea!”
 
~
 
“How'd I let you guys get me in here?” Alissa groaned as she and the rest of the group sat in the many chairs in front, watching the other students audition.
 
One of the students ended up being Paulina. She was wearing her cheerleading outfit and was singing to her cheerleading moves.
 
*Bop, bop, bop
Straight to the top!
Going for the glory!
I'll keep stepping up
And I just won't stop…
Stop…
'Til I reach the top!
Bop to the top!
*
 
As Paulina ended her song and bowed, every boy cheered for her, including Danny and Tucker. However, when both Sam and Summer death-glared them, they shut up.
 
“Yes, that was very energetically refreshing, Ms. Sanchez. [2] Well done.” Mr. Lancer said. He was standing beside Ms. Darlene, a teacher from a nearby music school who had come to Casper High to help with the upcoming dance's harmonic styles. She had curly blonde hair and blue eyes, and was wearing clothes from the wronggeneration. (XD) She crossed her arms at Paulina, however; she may have been impressed, but she felt bigheadedness from her.
 
“Anyway,” Ms. Darlene then spoke. “Any other auditions?”
 
Both Danny and Summer, who were sitting on the opposite sides of Alissa, both grabbed an arm each and hoisted her up. “She'd like to!” Summer said. Alissa squeaked at the action, and then shot a glare to each of them.

“Uh, Mr. Lancer, I know she doesn't go to this school, but she's a very dear friend of mine and she'll be staying here in Amity for the rest of the summer, so…can she? Please?” Danny begged.
 
“Oh, of course she can!” Ms. Darlene said as she clasped her hands together. “Anyone who's into the beauty of music is welcome, right, Mr. Lancer?”
 
“…I suppose so, but maybe she should--”
 
“Thanks!” Danny said as he then thrust Alissa toward the steps up to the stage. She gave him a frown and walked up.
 
“Do you happen to have a piano anywhere in here?” Alissa asked the two teachers.

“Why, yes!” Ms. Darlene grabbed Mr. Lancer's arm and they both ran behind the curtains in the back of the stage. The kids just stood there and watched the unmoving tapestry before they heard heavy scraping. The teachers remerged from the drapery pulling back an old piano. When they finally got it out, they would've both collapsed had the entire school not been watching.
 
“It just…hasn't been used…in a while…” Mr. Lancer wheezed.
 
“Great.” Alissa then turned back to the audience. “Summer! Get up here!”
 
The kids all gawked at Summer; Summer: the Punk girl with the green streaks in her hair and a scowl to match the uneasiness of her character…plays PIANO?!
 
As Summer got up, she glared at the kids. “Hey! So I was forced Piano Lessons by my mother at the young age of 10 and I've never forgotten how to play it since. Got a PROBLEM?!
 
A cough could be heard, but nothing else.
 
Summer then walked up the stage and spoke to Alissa. Alissa spoke back and Summer nodded as she ran to the piano and sat down.
 
“Um…” Alissa started as she took the microphone. “…T--this is a song that, ironically, is actually from the same region, if you will, as Paulina's song.” The said girl heightened her eyes a little and crossed her arms with a raised eyebrow. “And, uh…it's actually become pretty special to me because it reminds of someone precious to me…”
 
Alissa's eyes zipped to Summer, who nodded, and started to play. As Alissa waited for her cue, she fumbled with the microphone, making sure it was at her mouth-level.
 
*We're soaring
Flying
There's not a star in Heaven that we can't reach
If we're trying
So we're breaking free
You know the world can see us
In a way that's different than who we are
Creating space between us
Till we're separate hearts*
 
The students stared; they had no idea who this girl was, but she was blowing away most of the competition. (Most of the boys still believed Paulina was better.)
 
Danny just stared with widening eyes; was she talking about her and…?
 
*But your faith
It gives me strength
Strength to believe…
 
(About now, Alissa starts to enjoy this and takes the microphone from the stand and starts to dance around)
*We're soaring
Flying
There's not a star in Heaven that we can't reach
If we're trying
Yeah, we're breaking free
 
*Can you feel it building
Like a wave the ocean just can't control?
Connected by the feeling
Ooh, in our very soul?
Rising till it lifts us up
So everyone can see…
 
*We're breaking…!*
 
“Uh, excuse me, Ms. Darlene?”
 
Paulina's voice caused Summer to stop playing and Alissa to stop singing and dancing. Everyone turned their eyes to the young Mexican. [3] “Uh, I'm sorry, but weren't singing auditions meant to only go for 1:30? Ms. `Soaring-`N'-Flying' is starting to go for 1:38!” Paulina big-mouthed; in jealousy, perhaps?
 
Summer stood right up form the piano seat and crossed her arms with the darkest glare she had ever unleashed. Alissa just looked sad as she gently put the microphone back.
 
Ms. Darlene spoke. “Unfortunately, Ms…”
 
“Baker.”

“Ms. Baker, Ms. Sanchez is right. Please come down.”
 
As Alissa and Summer stepped down, Ms. Darlene grabbed Alissa and whispered to her, “Don't mind her; she's just terrified of you upstaging her…but she's a little late.” She then winked. Alissa smiled.
 
Ms. Darlene returned to the stage. “Well, we've seen a great deal of talent here so far, but it'll be time for Lunch in about 5 minutes, so you're all dismissed. We will all be having Lunch outside in the sunshine and green grass.” She sighed dreamily. “Doesn't that sound like a little slice of Heaven?”

Not a word.
 
Ms. Darlene lowered her eyelids. “…Just go.”
 
~
 
As the kids went to their lockers to get their lunches out, though some of them were planning on getting some from the school, Alissa simply pulled her backpack off and fumbled around in it, looking for the lunch she brought, Summer with her.
 
Alissa then looked up to see Paulina getting her lunch out of her locker. Both Alissa and Summer's eyes widened when they noticed the love shrine to Danny Phantom in Paulina's locker.
 
Summer chuckled. “Heh-heh…nice collection.”
 
Paulina immediately slammed the door shut and pressed her back against it, eyes shifting around, trying to find where the voice came from. She then looked to her left and saw Summer with a mocking face and Alissa kneeling on the ground with her backpack.
 
“Oh…you two…” Paulina walked toward the friends. She pointed to Alissa, who immediately stood up. “Sweetie, you're new, so I'll be as nice as I can…” Paulina then glared. “Be a good little girl and stick with hanging with losers like Danny Fenton and his playmates. It's not a good idea to try something drastic like perform in front of the entire school in the little time you've been here.”
 
Alissa looked hurt, and Summer looked ready to pounce and shred. Alissa looked down and said nothing. Paulina smiled before walking away.
 
“You're just mad because this so-called `loser' showed you up in front of the entire school!”
 
Paulina stopped and turned right around. She shot the Punk a cold look and then turned away again, walking out of sight.
 
Summer scoffed and held Alissa. “You okay?”
 
“Uh-huh…” Alissa said, her eyes still on where Paulina left. “Wow…I can see how she brings out the beast in all the boys here…especially Danny…”
 
“There's a beast in Danny?” Summer snickered. “What is it, a chipmunk?”

Alissa's eyes widened at that and she immediately whipped her head toward Summer, eyes narrowed and teeth bared. “You take that back…!” She sneered, eyes flickering red…
 
Summer gasped at the chilling gaze Alissa gave her, not noticing the glimmering scarlet in her once simply jade eyes. “Hey, hey…Ali, calm down! You know I didn't mean it!” She tried to ease her.
 
Alissa's eyes dropped somewhat and then widened, the flickering ending. “Uh…r--right…” Alissa murmured, realizing that she felt extremely weak. She turned away from Summer. “…S--Sorry…”
 
“Ali…?” Summer started, reaching out a hand toward her friend.
 
Meanwhile, Danny was heading outside with his lunch tray, Sam and Tucker right beside him with their own lunches.
 
The trio then stopped walking and Danny gulped when they turned a corner and saw Dash and his posse on the other side of the turn. “Uh…hi?”
 
Alissa and Summer saw Danny walk by, and Alissa gasped when she saw him come in contact with the school bully; she could just tell that's what he was. She wanted so badly to run up there and see if she could do something, but she knew she'd just end up emasculating poor Danny; and what if she failed to stop the bully? That'd just make things worse!
 
“Relax, Fen-Turd, I'm not gonna wail on you.” Dash said, though he kept his dark smirk.
 
“You're…not?”
 
“Nah, not today, anyway, `cause I've been thinking, [4] and I think that, for now, you're pathetic enough.”
 
“Really? What pathetic characteristic should he be thanking right now?” Tucker asked. Danny shot him a glare.
 
“You don't have a date for the Summer Dance, do ya, Fenton?”
 
Danny's eyes went wide, but they then lowered and looked away. “W--well…”
 
Everyone started to laugh. Alissa gasped again and brought a fist to her heart. From the corner of her eye, she saw Valerie walk by the school doors with her lunch, but stopped when she saw Danny and Dash. She winced her eyes and bit her lip before she turned away and walked out of the building.
 
Alissa felt angry at that action; she then noticed that, as usual, Sam wasn't doing anything to help Danny that would give suggestions of her true feelings for him. Well…here goes everything…Alissa thought as she slung her backpack over her shoulder and ran up to Team Phantom.
 
“Ali!” Summer cried.
 
“Danny! I can't believe you didn't tell them!” Alissa said as she came up to Danny, giving him a sweet smile.
 
“Huh…?” Danny asked.
 
Alissa then looked up at Dash. “I'm very sorry; I don't know why he didn't tell you…maybe he's just shy…but he is going to that dance, mister!”

“He is?” Dash asked.
 
“He, uh, is?” The ever-clueless Danny peeped.
 
“Of course he is! He's going to that dance and he's going to that dance…” Alissa then wrapped her arm around Danny's (Danny struggling with holding the tray with his other hand). “…with me.”
 
Everyone in the area gasped. Danny Fenton had a date with a cute, singing new girl like HER?! Danny just stared at her with the widest imaginable eyes. “Uh…uh…r--right! Right! That's right…I asked Alissa.” He said, understanding at last. He straightened up and held Alissa's arm back.
 
“Well, we're off!” Alissa said as she and Danny proceeded outside, the others following. Dash and his crew watched them go; the other guys just kept their wide stares while Dash slowly started to glower and growl.
 
~
 
“You didn't have to do that, Ali…” Danny said as they unlocked arms.
 
“I know, but…I can't stand seeing you being tossed around by what should really be tossed, like, in a garbage truck.”
 
Danny giggled at Alissa's crack. “…I--it's not that I don't appreciate it, but, Ali, you're the `new girl.' Whatever the new girl does sets her up for the rest of the school year! Alissa, you're going to the dance with shy, geeky, unpopular l--loser, Danny Fenton!” [5]
 
“…See, Babe, if I cared about that, I wouldn't have told Dash I was your date.” Alissa said with a smile.
 
Danny just stared at her, not knowing how to respond. “…Thanks…”

“No big! Now, c'mon! Let's eat!” Alissa said as she took Danny's arm by her hand and attempted to run toward a nice spot she saw.
 
“Hey…uh…by the way…you were…you were really good…back in the Auditorium, I mean.” Danny tried.
 
Alissa quickly stopped. “…I was?”
 
“Yeah! Heck, even YOU started enjoying it!”
 
“Well, yeah…I loved singing when I was a little younger…”

“So…why'd you stop?”

“…Because one time in the 7th grade when I was singing to myself in the bathroom as I was washing my hands, someone actually came out of one of the stalls and stared at me. I realized someone was actually listening to me singing and I became SO embarrassed…I ran out of the bathroom with a totally red face and I hadn't sung since…I took up drawing instead of singing, and…well, you see how well I draw, but that's just because I draw a LOT because I draw whenever I get urges to sing outside of my own house…” Alissa explained. She then grabbed her bag and was about to walk away.

“Well…for someone who hasn't sung for so long…you were really good.” Danny said.
 
Alissa froze and slightly turned her face back to him. She then fully turned to him with a bright smile. “Thank you!” She cried. “That means a lot coming…” She stopped, realizing what she was doing again. “…Coming…from…you…” She said slowly, dropping her head. She then ran off to the nice spot under a tree shade on her own.
 
Danny just watched her go, not realizing that the other three had come up from behind him.
 
“We finally caught up to you!” Tucker cried. “We…hey, what's up?”

Danny looked sad. He looked at his open, empty right hand. He then clenched it closed. “You know what?” Danny said sternly, shooting his head back up with a determined face. “I really haven't been fair.”

“Fair about what?” Sam asked.

“Not `about.' `To.' I haven't been fair to Ali.” Danny then turned to them. “She loves me so much, and not only that, she loves all of me, unlike Paulina and Valerie…” He then looked down sadly. [6] But he then shook his head and looked back at his friends. “I know I said I didn't love her back, but she's still a great girl…and she even told me that she tries so hard to hide her feelings for me when we're together…because she still wants to be my friend…and doesn't want any awkwardness between us…” As he spoke, he could feel himself blush; he was still kinda having trouble accepting that he was causing someone so much of a mess because he was, apparently, engaging.
 
“But…maybe I should, y'know…give her a chance.”
 
All three of their mouths dropped at that.
 
“Are…are you serious?!” Tucker cried.

“C'mon, Tuck! I gave Val a chance, but not Ali? Besides, you're the one who told me I have to let go, right?”
 
“Uh…yeah?”
 
“Besides, even if things don't work out, then maybe we'll be more okay being friends, because then we'll know that we really weren't meant to be and we'll probably just roll with that! `Old lovers can be good friends,' right? But who knows…” Danny turned toward Alissa, but then turned his head back to Sam. “…I may end up asking you for that ring back, Sam…”
 
Sam gasped.
 
Danny then smiled and ran toward his redheaded friend.
 
“…Okay, what the heck did that mean?” Summer asked Sam, who still standing there dumbfounded. [7]
 
Alissa pulled a blanket out of her bag and lied down on it, holding a cup of yogurt in her hand.
 
“Hey…can I join?”

Alissa gasped and thrust her upper body up, seeing Danny standing there. She smiled brightly and patted the empty area of her blanket. With a bright smile back, Danny practically collapsed on the blanket and straightened himself up more, only he was now on his knees. Alissa reached into her lunchbox and pulled out a sandwich. With a squeak in the back of her throat that sounded like she was asking something, she broke off some of her sandwich and offered it to Danny, who smiled and took it. Alissa squeaked again, only in happiness.
 
As they ate, Alissa noticed that Danny kept on staring at her. “Uh, Babe? Is there a problem?”
 
“Huh?” Danny asked, snapping out of it. “Oh, uh…l--listen, Ali…I was w--wondering…if you were, I dunno, doing anything later tonight?”
 
Alissa stared at him, not getting it. “Um…no, I don't think so. Why?”
 
“Great! I--I mean, w--well, since you're not doing anything big tonight, do you wanna, I…I…I dunno…” Danny rubbed the back of his head, eyes zipping around nervously.
 
Alissa started to giggle. Since when does Danny turn into jelly around me? Her eyes then snapped open more, gasping mentally. “Danny…are you…asking me out?”
 
Danny froze. “W--w--well, you can think of it that way if you want, I mean, I'm not trying to…ugh…”
 
Alissa giggled again, though she was extremely confused. What was Danny doing asking her out? She thought…
 
“Well, I mean, I wanted to thank you for bailing me out earlier with Dash and the others by being my dance date, so…do you wanna get dinner, or see a movie, or just…hang out at your place? Or my place? Or--or…” Danny stuttered and bumbled. He quickly shoved the rest of his sandwich into his mouth, shutting himself up. After he finally swallowed, he shrugged at Alissa and smiled. “So…do you wanna?”

Alissa stared at him, her eyes wide and filled with confusion, but also filled with excitement. After a while, she finally got her voice back, but by coughing. “…W--wow…you…you really mean it?”
 
“Would I lie to you?”

“No…wanna pick me up by, say, 6:00?”

“Sure! You wanna get a bite to eat?”
 
“Okay! You wanna see that new Action/Romance?”

“Sounds cool! You wanna…uh…um…I ran out of things…”

Alissa laughed gently, but she then smiled with a blush and gazed at him.
 
Danny blinked at her, but he smiled back…and blushed.
 
While that was happening, the other three were watching from a bush.
 
“I…I don't believe it!” Sam cried.
 
“Well, aren't you gonna do anything?” Tucker poked fun at his Goth friend. She didn't turn to him, but her eyes cringed and her hold on the shrub tightened.
 
“I don't know about you two…but I have GOT to see this!” Summer said as she then reached into her backpack and pulled out a pair of black binoculars.
 
Tucker widened his eyes at her. How do I get myself mixed up with these kinds of girls?
 
Summer instantly knelt back down and brought the binoculars to her eyes, watching Danny and Alissa resume eating, but keep gazing at each other now and then.
 
Tucker sighed. “Three…two…one…”
 
“May I?” Sam asked through clenched teeth, snatching the binoculars from the Punk and watching the two herself.
 
 
~*~
 
 
[1] You'd think she'd learn from last time. (Remember in my first fanfiction when she screamed out loud in the mall?)
[2] I've been informed that Sanchez is, indeed, Paulina's last name, but I don't know where they got that...
[3] Is she Mexican? I'm very sure she is...
[4] Oh, my gosh, Dash thinks? XD
[5] If you're wondering why Danny stuttered the word "loser," remember, he's afraid of being called that! (Aawww...!)
[6] I'm sure that does upset him now and then...
[7] If you're just as confused as Summer was, recall the ending of Flirting With Disaster.

Done!
Aww, Danny asked Ali out!
Oy, more spying! (*Slaps face*)
Next chapter is where things get interesting again, I swear...
Seeya!