Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Deceit ❯ One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Death Note or any of the characters thereof, except for the ones I have created specifically for this story. I am writing this story for entertainment purposes only.
 
Chapter One
 
Raito picked up his bag and exited with his other classmates, glad the lecture was over for the day. Glancing at his watch, he decided to visit his father to keep up his appearances as a good son. His mother had been nagging him about it for two days now.
 
“Hmm? Where are we going, Raito-kun? This isn't the direction you take, is it?” Ryuuku asked, following alongside his human companion.
 
“Visiting my father of course, you saw how mom was nagging me about it lately,” he replied.
 
“Ahhh, yes…”
 
The two walked to the train station in silence, Raito reflecting on the meeting he had with Ryuuga Hideki, or rather, Ryuuzaki, the L he had been looking for. The fact that L had approached him first unnerved him, nearly forcing his hand. It was a matter of time before one got the other. Raito smirked to himself, appreciating that his life was going to get even more interesting, relying on his own intellect and the ability to fool others.
 
Raito arrived in his father's room.
 
“Hello father, doing well?” Raito asked as he sat down.
 
“Yes, I am fine,” he replied, “Thank you for coming to see me.”
 
The two conversed on several light topics until a news program came on T.V. interrupted them. Raito narrowed his eyes at the mention of a serial rapist-murderer at large in Kanto area. Raito took note of the criminal for later execution.
 
“That guy is done for,” cackled a patient next to his father's bed, “Kira must know of him by now.”
 
His father's face grimaced at the comment as Raito studied the patient. He realized that the man was being released today because of the packed bags.
 
“How I wish I could, in some ways, help Kira, it's my dream now, you know,” he said to his father and Raito.
 
The two didn't comment and after a few moments of silence, they went back to their original conversation topic about his studies as a criminal justice major. Raito pondered on the bedmate in the back of his mind while talking about superficial things like test grades.
 
`It would be idiotic of me to bring anyone in to help me out. They can slip up, give me away, or some other inane mistakes that would ruin my plans for good.'
 
“And then there's a test I have to take in two days in psychology,” Raito was saying to his father.
 
“Well, you better go now, Raito, I don't want you to be held back from your new work. Go on and don't worry about me, son,” he said.
 
“All right, father, good night and take it easy,” Raito said, standing up and left the room without another look.
 
He slid the door close and took a note of the second patient's name.
 
`Suzuki Kaji…' he thought to himself, remembering the characters used and then left.
 
Once Raito arrived at the hotel room where the investigation was being held, he was greeted by other people. After Raito closed the door, he began working on his shoes to take them off. As he did the shoes, he took the time to take in the surrounding of the new hotel they had moved to, it was ornate and Raito knew that L had chosen to get the biggest room, Presidential Suite, in the hotel to accommodate their many needs in investigating the Kira case. Raito could see three rooms from where he was, and figured there might be two other rooms hidden in the back where it contained beds. Once his shoes were off, he slipped on slippers for use in other areas and approached the investigating group who were surrounding television screens and monitors.
 
“Hello Raito, how is Chief Yagami doing?” Ryuuzaki asked.
 
“He's recuperating well,” Raito replied, “any new leads?”
 
“No, nothing, we are actually in quite a stump at this moment. We can only wait for Kira to drop more clues for us to go on,” he said, sitting down with his knees up against his chest on the sofa, chewing his thumb in thought. “It would even be good if he led us on a wild goose chase, it is better than nothing. Perhaps we should be more active in making him slip up.”
 
“How, Ryuuzaki? It's obvious that this Kira is a mastermind,” Matsuda said.
 
“We can try that old trick again, but this time, we will air a broadcast in one particular area in Kanto—”
 
“I doubt Kira will fall for that again,” Mogi said, putting his hand on the coffee table lightly, “What if he knows the next time that happens again when we provoke him—”
 
“No, it has to be a criminal being reported to have done something, we will only be behind the scenes, Mogi-kun,” Ryuuzaki said, lifting a piece of candy up to eat, “If we do this carefully, then we can fool him. He is a rather… drunk on justice.”
 
He looked at Mogi, “or will you think that Kira will not fall for it? If he doesn't respond to the broadcast, or if he moved out of Japan or away from this area, which I doubt he has, then it is safe to assume that he will have this knowledge… from this group that we are going to fool him.”
 
Ryuuzaki looked at Raito specifically.
 
“You still suspect me, Ryuugi—Sorry, Ryuuzaki?” Raito asked with a frown.
 
“I'm sorry Raito,” he said, eating the candy after studying it at length, “But my guess in you being a suspect is three percent right now.”
 
Raito sighed and nodded, “I understand, if I were anyone else, I would even suspect me. I'll do my best to clear my name, Ryuuzaki.”
 
“If you are not Kira, then I wouldn't worry too much, just don't accidentally frame yourself,” Ryuuzaki said, licking his finger.
 
Raito smirked and nodded while he listened to Ryuuku laughing maniacally.
 
“Frame yourself! That will be a riot to watch,” Ryuuku said, chuckling.
 
Raito sat down on one of the empty sofa chair and rested his elbow on his knee, supporting his chin, “So, to do this, are you going to do it?”
 
“I think I will, I will arrange it with Watari,” Ryuuzaki said, looking at the old man, “I'll let you know of the specifics tonight, but since there are five separate areas that are possible to air, it shouldn't take more than a day to cover all areas in Kanto. If he isn't in Kanto anymore, we will try other regions as well.”
 
“Yes Ryuuzaki, I will be waiting for your call, and take this moment to take my leave,” Watari said, putting on his tan jacket.
 
“Bye Watari, take care of yourself,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
“I will, good night everyone,” Watari said and bowed after he put his shoes back on and left the hotel.
 
“Well, let's get down to business and see what you can deduce from all the evidence I have gathered ever since this case opened,” Ryuuzaki said, pulling out sheets of paper on Kira case and handed them to Raito.
 
The group of investigators then left the room to leave Ryuuzaki and Raito alone.
 
`Did Ryuuzaki tell them to leave when he gave me this pile of paper before I got here? Why…?' he wondered while he studied the notes.
 
He noticed that two crucial evidence were left out and wondered if Ryuuzaki was pulling the same tricks again in his deducing powers or they simply overlooked at it. Raito realized that it might be absurd to leave out at this point and then after further `deducing' from the evidence, he set the papers down and looked at Ryuuzaki.
 
“I think Kira is definitely something to be reckoned with, he is a criminal mastermind.”
 
“I agree, what have you deduced?” he asked.
 
“I fit all the clues indicated by these evidences because of the FBI, Ray Penber and his fiancée, and because of that, this particular here, when you had the opportunity to watch two families with monitors, doesn't show anything. It is true that Kira seems to be getting all the information on criminals through publicity and what really puzzles me, is how Kira is killing people. It needs a name and face, yes, I gathered as much when the criminal, Lind. L. Tailor. died on screen. I wonder though, can he kill with just the face or just the name alone?” Raito asked, “Otherwise, I don't see much more to go on.”
 
“Hm, you have a point, Raito-kun. I suppose it will be something to look into. However, I also ask you this, what about criminals who weren't shown with a picture?”
 
“There is that, there are a number of criminals who haven't died yet because their faces aren't shown, only their names,” Raito said, rubbing his chin in thought.
 
“Right, and maybe I can do an experiment to see if I can just show their faces and not show or say their names. Perhaps I'll do that after this particular sting in Kanto,” Ryuuzaki said.
 
Raito smiled and nodded in agreement.
 
`Well, I suppose I'll just lead you to me, but that will be a wild goose chase, because I've got a plan,' he thought wrly.
 
“Everyone back there? Please come back in,” Ryuuzaki called the other members of the group.
 
“How did he do?” Matsuda asked, seating himself.
 
“Quite well, he posed a very good question, can he kill with just a name or a face?”
 
The question met with silence of the others.
 
“I have determined that he needs a name because there are no criminals without a public photo, who had died,” Ryuuzaki said, picking up a cookie, “However, I don't know about needing just a face.”
 
“Wh-What?!” yelped Mogi, “Then that means our fake names are useless!”
 
“And that my life may be in danger, our lives,” Ryuuzaki said calmly, “but I have confidence that you do need both to be killed by Kira.”
 
Ryuuzaki then ate his cookie in silence.