Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Davis and Kari in: Jack Frost. ❯ Act Two: Winter of Humanity. ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER SIX
 
 
A lot of new people in the audience were quivering in fear to think what would happen next.
 
The spotlight was fixed on the Narrator.
 
 
ACT TWO
 
Pete/ Narrator:
 
“Well… You can bet your galoshes that when Father-Winter heard about Jack Frost wanting to be human-- He was angry. In fact, he was as mad as a blizzard.”
 
….
 
The stage lit up, showing Cody up high and Davis down below.
 
 
Father-Winter:
 
(Points angrily at Davis) “Outright insubordination!”
 
Jack:
 
“If I am insubordinate, Sir, it was you who made me so.”
 
Father-Winter:
 
(Confused) “Me? But How?”
 
 
What was done for the next few pieces was. The crew had done some film recordings of altered scenes in the play, or scenes that never were.
 
And the first one shown, was Davis in the town-square trying to get attention before nipping Kari's nose.
 
Jack:
 
“I'm the Only one you sent down among the humans.”
 
“Bring Joy to the Januaries! Make their Christmases whiter.” You ordered.” (The stage went black for a few seconds as the film was being viewed of Davis trying to get attention)
 
Jack:
 
“But when I try to share their joy… they can't Hear, or See me!” (Stage lights up) “Why can't I be part of them?”
 
Father-Winter:
 
“Because you'd be a stranger to their ways. Nobody down there really wants to know Jack Frost.”
 
(Davis' lonely music plays)
 
Jack:
 
Somebody does.”
 
(Stage blacks out, and the next silent film is the shot of Kari calling Davis a hero)
 
Jack:
 
Magician, she calls me… Hero!”
 
(Stage lights up, and Davis looks pretty grim.)
 
Jack:
 
“Father-Winter.” (Down on one knee) “Please… Grant my dream come-true.”
 
Father-Winter:
 
“Oh! Time.”
 
“Give me time to consider your request. A century or two.”
 
Jack:
 
(Stands up) “That will be too late!”
 
(Spotlight focuses on only him)
 
Jack: (Singingto the music)
 
-I'd like to be like everyone I see,
Not Special; just an ordinary guy.
 
(The stage blacks out, and another clip is shown: Davis is dreaming about he and Kari being happily married and with children.)
 
Jack: (Singing)
 
Who falls in love, and leads the simple life,
At least, I'd like to have the chance to try.
 
(Stage lights up)
 
Jack: (Singing)
 
-The happiness of being me,
is not what it's cracked up to me.
 
 
(The stage blacks out, and a final clip is shown: Davis is waving to the sledding children who pass right by him without noticing them, because they can't.)
 
Jack: (Singing)
 
It's lonely being ONE… of a kind!
 
 
(Clip-Davis hangs his head low in sadness, and the stage lights up again.)
 
Jack: (Singing)
 
It's lonely… Being--
ONE…of a kind!
 
 
Davis looked up, and a Real tear rolled down his cheek as the song ended. This made a lot of people feel really sad for him.
 
 
 
Father-Winter:
 
“If you feel so lonely Jack… I will have to grant your wish.”
 
(Davis looks up all excited)
 
Father-Winter:
 
“You may become human.”
 
“Temporarily! I am going to give you a Winter-of-Humanity. And if, by the first sign of Spring, you have accumulated the basic human essentials…”
 
“ A House to shelter you. A Horse to bear you. A Bag-of-Gold to sustain you. And a Wife to make it all worthwhile.”
 
“Then… You be truly human, and may stay so with my blessing, forever.”
 
(Davis bows, and the a quick scene change follows to Davis talking to the Snip-character)
 
Snip:
 
“Gee, that's some proposition.”
 
Jack:
 
“No trouble at all Snip. Well, I'm off.”
 
Snip:
 
“Wait, Jack!” (Hands him his scissors with the name “Snip” engraved on them) “Take these, please.”
 
Jack:
 
“Your scissors? But you need them.”
 
Snip:
 
“If I need, I got a whole drawer full. After-all, we might never see each other again. So think of this as something to remember me by. ”
 
Jack:
 
(Takes the Scissors) “Thank you, Snip! And don't worry, I'll never forget you. Farewell.” (Takes off)
 
Pete/ Narrator:
 
“And Jack Frost was on his way.”
 
“As he fell back down he could suddenly being to feel human things for the first time.”
 
 
Now here came a scene that Davis had practiced hard to do.
 
As the stage was all black, he passed through a large plain of smoke oozing up and out from the stage, and during the few seconds he couldn't be seen by the audience, he altered his looks.
 
His cape was gone. The scarves on his sleeves were rolled up. He removed his elf-ears. Exchanged his crown-hat for an ordinary Tyrolean hat. A Brown tunic over his sparkling one.
 
Finally, the blue spotlight that followed Davis had ceased, and his skin was no longer lit up in blue. Meaning, now everyone could see him.
 
 
Jack:
 
(Feels his chest, and scratches his nose.) “Oh-ho-ho, my. A Heartbeat… and an itchy-nose(chuckles) “IT'S WONDERFUL!!”
 
(Stage lights up to where we last left Kari in the Countryside)
 
Jack:
 
(Crash-lands into a snow bank) “Ow!”
 
Elisa:
 
(Gasps, and looks up) “Who said that?” (She looks at Davis pull himself up)
 
Jack:
 
“I have words now. I think I almost spoke one. I have bones now. I think I almost broke one.” (Tries to walk on the ice, but slips)
 
Elisa:
 
(Giggles as she skates over to him) “My, but you're very clumsy on ice.”
Jack:
 
“Clumsy on ice? Do you know who I am?”
 
Elisa:
 
“Well... you're certainly not my golden-knight.”
 
Jack:
 
(Tries to get up, but slips again) “Oh, heh, heh. You're right, I am clumsy.”
 
Elisa:
 
(Helps him up) “Even though you're not a knight, you are very nice, and handsome too” (Davis turns away and blushes) “What's your name?”
 
Jack:
 
“Jack Fro-- Oops!”
 
Elisa:
 
“Jack Oops?”
 
Jack:
 
“Uh, no… Uh, Jack-- Snip. I'm Jack Snip the Tailor. See.” (Showsher Snip's scissors with “Snip”engraved on them)
 
Elisa:
 
“A Tailor! We need a Tailor in town”
 
Jack:
 
“Well, I need a town to Tailor in.”
 
Elisa:
 
“Well, why, don't you stay in January-Junction.”
 
Jack:
 
“Why, don't I stay in January-Junction.”
 
 
Elisa:
 
“This way, I'll race you.” (She skates away, but Davis slips again)
 
(Upper half of the stage shows Snip and Holly watching Davis from above)
 
Holly:
 
“He's falling all-over himself.”
 
Snip:
 
“Jack Frost slipping on ice? What's the world coming to?”
 
Holly:
 
“Humans are never as graceful as Sprites.”
 
Snip:
 
“Mark-my-words, Holly. He's going to be in big trouble if he's not careful.”
 
Father-Winter:
 
“We must not allow harm to come to Jack Frost.”
 
“Snip… Holly… Therefore, you will both become human until the Spring.”
 
 
They did the same Smokey transformation Davis did, and they looked human now too.
 
 
(Small Scene Change to ahouse.)
 
Pete/ Narrator:
 
“Now, back in town, Elisa's folks invited Jack Frost-- Err, pardon-me… Jack Snip to dinner.”
 
Papa:
 
“Eat hearty, and curse Kubla Kraus.”
 
Mama:
 
“Papa!”
 
Papa:
 
“On Christmas sometimes, we share a baloney-sandwich. Without the baloney of course.”
 
Elisa:
 
“Papa? Mr. Snip has no place to sleep. May he stay the night in the attic?”
 
Papa:
 
“Sure. Why, not. It's been so long since we had company. You can stay here as long as you like, kid.”
 
Jack:
 
“I'll go and find a house in the morning. It's very important I find a house.”
 
Elisa:
 
“Oh! But there are no empty houses in January-Junction, Mr. Snip.”
 
Jack:
 
“Then I'll build one.”
 
Mama:
 
“With what?”
 
“Kubla Kraus owns all the timber, and the brick.”
 
Jack:
 
“But I've got to get a house. Not to mention a horse, a bag-of-gold, and--”
 
Mama:
 
(Shakes her head) “Kubla Kraus owns the only horse, and all the gold. The Cossack King.”
 
Papa:
 
“But even the Cossacks couldn't stand him. So they all left.”
 
Mama:
 
“Now he lives alone in his castle high on Miserable-Mountain.”
 
 
The part of the stage they were on black out, and the rest of the stage focused on Tai. He was sitting on a big throne, with two big piles of gold, and treasure behind him, and a perfect view of the town below through a window.
 
It was his turn for a musical number.
 
 
Kubla: (Singing)
 
-I'm Kubla Kraus, I'm king of all the Cossacks.
But there are no Cossacks to be king of, there's the rub.
There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
 
-I'm Kubla Kraus, I could have been a Pharaoh.
But there are no Pyramids around here, there's the rub.
There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
There's the Ru-u-u-ub.
Rub-a-dub-a-dub-dub-Rub.
 
(Gets up and admires his treasure and his view of the land)
 
-I rule with an iron-hand.
I get whatever I demand.
I own the people and the land.
So why is it I'm not happy, I don't understand.
 
(Looks Grim)
-I'm Kubla Kraus, I could have been a Rajah.
But there are no Elephants around here, there's the rub.
There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
 
-I'm Kubla Kraus, I could have been a Shogun.
But there are no Samurai around here, there's the rub.
There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
There's the Ru-u-u-u-b.
Rub-a-dub-a-dub-dub-Rub.
 
-There's the Ruuuuuuuuub.
I hate the Ruuuuuuuuub.
There's the Ru-u-u-ub.
Rub-a-dub-a-dub-dub--
Rub-a-dub-a-dub-dub--
Rub-a-dub-a-dub-dub…RUB!
 
(Sits back on his throne and sulks)
 
Pete/ Narrator:
 
“Jack Frost found out that no humans or animals would live with Kubla Kraus. So the mean and evil old Cossack King had to make artificial ones out of Iron.”
 
(His horse came in being controlled like a Marionette on the wires)
 
“There was, Clang-Stumper, who ran by steam.”
 
(A third grader dressed as an iron clockwork doll came and offered Tai a drink)
 
“And, Fetch-Kletch the butler, who ran by clockwork.”
 
(Several Preschoolers dresses as iron-knights with spear-axe-heads came in and stood proudly in line)
 
“And there was his army of K-nights, in grimy armor. K-newt. K-Nick. K-Norman. K-Nathan, and all the rest of them. Each lifeless with a motor for a heart… but very mean and K-Nasty too.”
 
(Two preschoolers dresses as wind up mice passed by)
 
“Why even the mice were artificial. And then to have someone to talk to… there was Dommy.” (Sounds like Tommy)
 
(Tai picks up a cute little puppet, and does the voice for him)
 
Kubla:
 
“Hello, Dommy.”
 
Dommy/ Kubla: (Cuter voice)
 
“Hello, Kubla. Gee, it's swell being here with you.”
 
Kubla:
 
“Dommy, Dommy on my knee. Who is handsome as can be?”
 
Dommy/ Kubla:
 
“You are, Kubla.”
 
Kubla:
 
“Ha, ha… and Dommy, Who is brave, and strong, and nice?”
 
Dommy/ Kubla:
 
“You are, Kubla.”
 
Kubla:
 
(Hugs puppet) “Nice Dommy.”
 
“Ahh… it is so good to be loved.”
 
(Scene switches back to the house)
 
Jack:
 
(Stands up) “Kubla Kraus has got to be overthrown!”
 
(A knock at the door. Kari answers and sees the Snip and Holly characters)
 
Elisa:
 
“Oh. Hello there.”
 
Snip:
 
“Hello, nice lady. You have a warm room perhaps for two cold lost strangers?”
 
Jack:
 
(Is surprised) “I don't believe it! Oh, these are my friends. This is, Holly.”
 
Holly:
 
“How do, please.”
 
Papa:
 
“What is she, a midget?”
 
Mama:
 
“She's even too small to be one of Santa's elves.”
 
Jack:
 
“Oh, uh… Holly is a gypsy. A Gypsy-Princess. Angered the magic Gypsy-Barron and he made her tiny.”
 
Snip:
 
(Sighs)
 
Jack:
 
“And this is Sn--.”
 
Snip:
 
“Ah-ah-ah… No, no!”
 
Jack:
 
“Heh… oops!”
 
Elisa:
 
“Another Oops?”
 
Snip:
 
“Uh… Fernando… Leonardi… Kratsky… Thopopolopolis. Uh, that's me.”
 
Jack:
 
(Whispers) “What?!”
 
Snip:
 
“It's all I could think of!”
 
Papa:
 
“Well, whoever… Come on in. Sit comfortable and eat hearty.”
 
“Mama, Shell next weeks pea and beef soup!”
 
Jack:
 
“You won't regret this. Sir. With my friends by my side, I just know Kubla Kraus' days are numbered.”
 
“First thing tomorrow, we pay a little visit to the Cossack King.”
 
(Scary music plays and thunder strikes as the stage blacks out.)