Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Davis and Kari in: Jack Frost Returns ❯ A Chilling Secret ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER TWO
 
Pete, now comfortably tucked in bed explained. “Now this story happened about a year after Jack Frost went back to the Kingdom of the winter clouds, and Elisa had settled down with her new husband… the golden Knight, Sir Ravano Right-fellow…”
 
 
It was getting close to winter time in January Junction, and the town certainly had change a lot that past year.
 
With the evil Kubla Kraus gone and his army of Ka-nights no longer a threat… The town's people had regained all their money, and their goods and supplies and the town itself became a much more prosperous place.
 
There was plenty of food for everyone. Money to barter with, instead of having to use ice-money made in the winter. The best thing of all was the town was under the watchful eye of Sir Ravano Right-fellow… The knight in golden armor…
 
It was a fairly beautiful autumn day, and he and his wife Elisa, along with Elisa's parents, the pumpkin farmers, and the family dog and duck. They were all heading into the countryside for one last picnic before the winter holidays.
 
Ravano sniffed the air. “Ahh… doesn't the fall time air smell wonderful?” he asked his wife.
 
Elisa nodded. “It's so wonderful, crisp and cool. I can feel that winter's coming soon.”
 
Mama and Papa gazed at each other. “Daughter…?” asked Papa, “You still think about Jack Frost?”
 
Elisa nodded. “I think about him all the time.” she answered. “Even though we don't need him to make anymore ice-money for us I still remember… oh, the wonderful, magical things he can do.”
 
Mama smiled, even though her daughter was married now, she was still just as romantic and as thoughtful as ever. “Some things just never change.” she spoke softly.
 
As they all continued on their path to a spot near the river they saw someone whom they knew very well fishing on the other side. Their dear friend Jack Snip, the town's tailor… “Oh, look there…” said Mama.
 
Elisa waved to him. “Oh, you-hoo… Jack!” she called.
 
Jack looked up. “Well, look who's here…” he chuckled.
 
The family stopped over near him. “Hello there kid…” said Papa. “It's been a long time now.”
 
“Oh yes it has sir…” Jack said. “A lot of water under the bridge. I just thought I'd step out of the castle and do a little fishing today. Heh, heh… what brings you all here?”
 
“We were all coming out here to have a picnic before the winter comes.” Elisa answered. “Say… can Jack come with us?”
 
Sir Ravano agreed. “Certainly… We'd be honored if you'd join us Mr. Snip.”
 
Jack's cheerful grin widened. “Really…? I'd love to.” And so the family decided to stay with Jack on the river-bank edge. The meal was just perfect. Now that Papa could afford food again, there were bread-rolls, a roll of cheese. Nice fresh Apple-cider and one f Mama's delicious pumpkin-pie's…
 
“Mmm… I can't remember the last time I ever had a home cooked meal.” Jack complimented. Mama blushed “You are too kind Mr. Snip. You really should find yourself a beautiful wife someday.”
 
Jack began to look a little grim. “Yes… maybe I should.” he said as he looked back up to his castle, high on Miserable Mountain.
 
Sir Ravano felt sorry for Jack having to live up in Kubla Kraus' castle all by himself, with no one he could really talk to. “Don't worry Mr. Snip. I'm sure that one day you'll find a lady fair; one who will make all your dreams come true.”
 
Jack however wasn't so sure about that. There was only one girl whom he loved, and she happened to be sitting next to him; Elisa… but she was married to Sir Ravano know, and only Jack and Papa knew of this little secret, but decided to keep it to themselves.
 
“Hey, Kid…” Papa asked trying to change the subject. “Just to ask are you going to be leaving us again for the winter months?”
 
Jack nodded. “Yes, I'm afraid I will be.” he said.
 
“Oh, my… again?” asked Elisa. “Why don't you stay in January-Junction, Jack?”
 
Every winter Jack Snip left his castle and the whole country at that and never returned until the spring. Then when next winter came, he left all over again. “Being a tailor takes me to all sorts of places.” he explained. “And Sir Ravano is right… I do have a home, a horse, and enough money to support me… but… I just feel empty inside without someone special to share it all with.”
 
Everyone felt sorry for him, event he dog and duck. “Is there no one that you're in love with yet Mr. Snip?” Sir Ravano asked.
 
Jack looked up. “Well… there was one special girl…”
 
He then noticed that Papa was shaking his head.
 
“Ahh… but I never had a chance with her to begin with. When I thought she said she loved me, I didn't realize it was just a flight of fancy.”
 
Elisa had no idea whom Jack was referring to, but she felt as if she could feel the pain in Jack's lonely heart.
 
When the family decided to head in as the winter chills began to stir up, everyone knew Jack would be leaving town soon, and they wished him good luck until the spring. Elisa even gave Jack a warm hug. “Don't worry Jack…” she said to him for comfort. “You're such a good, sweet little friend… I'm sure there's a girl out there for you.”
 
Jack smiled slightly, but deep inside he felt even worse. “Oh Elisa… if you only knew.” He thought to himself.
 
“I'll even ask Jack Frost if he can help you find one.” Elisa joked, everyone shared a laugh, and even Jack chuckled slightly. “Always about Frost…” Papa said. “I don't think he has the power to love.”
 
Jack wasn't so sure about that…
 
Then he whistled for his iron-horse Clang-Stumper to come and take him up to his castle, thought the secret passage of the mountain. Once inside his home, Jack made sure that all the doors and windows were locked tight, and that Clang-Stumper was shut down for the winter… for where he was going, a horse wouldn't be necessary.
 
By sunrise the next morning, Jack was outside, standing atop the castle and overlooking the small village of January-Junction below. “Farewell… until next Spring.” he muttered softly.
 
Then suddenly, he could feel the winter winds picking up as magical snowflakes began o encircle around his body. Then he completely vanished …
 
He was a blue-silvery skinned man, with pointed ears, and he was hearing a silver-sparkling outfit, with a long shining cape, tulle scarves dangling off of his arms, and a stocking cap with a jingling bell at the end.
 
Jack Snip did not tell anyone down in the city that he was really Jack Frost, the winter sprite whom Elisa had fancy dreams about. It was winter time again, and Father Winter's magic had worn off again. IT was now time for Jack to return to his duties until the Spring.
 
(Music cue)
 
So… he took straight off toward his home in the sky…
 
(Jack)
 
The happiness of being me
Is not what it's cracked up to be.
It's lonely being One… of-a-kind!
 
With all the known variety,
The fame that nature gave to me.
It's lonely being One… of-a-kind…!