Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Davis and Kari in: Jack Frost Returns ❯ Welcome home Jack ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER THREE
 
As Pete lay in his bed, he began to realize. “I know what you're all thinking… How can Jack Frost still be allowed to be human when he lost his deal with Father Winter?
 
“Well… I think it's time that I explained a few things, for those of you who don't know as much yet.”
 
 
The Kingdom of the winter clouds… this was the ideal home to Jack Frost, and all the other sprites of winter. Snip the snowflake-maker. The many thousands of the flake-flipping snow gypsies including little Holly… The two sleet sisters, and the Hail-fellow.
 
And of course… the ruler of all this wonder; Father Winter himself…!
 
“Now some of you might recall that when Jack Frost fell in love with Elisa, and wished to be human so he could be with her… he was given a proposition by Father Winter.”
 
“I will give you a winter of humanity… and if, by the first sign of spring you have accumulated the basic human essentials; A HOUSE to shelter you… A HORSE to bear you… A BAG-OF-GOLD to sustain you, and a WIFE to make it all worthwhile… Then… you will be truly human, and may stay so… with my blessing forever.”
 
Of course, Jack was successful in obtaining his House, being Kubla Kraus' old castle. His horse being Clang-Stumper, Kubla Kraus' old iron steed that ran by steam, and he had of course gained all the treasure that Kubla had stolen which gave him enough gold for a-hundred bags…
 
However… he was unsuccessful in making Elisa his wife, as she was already engaged to marry Sir Ravano that day.
 
“And so… Jack Frost lost his chance to become human permanently, but Father Winter did have pity on him for coming so close.”
 
“So you will not feel so lonely anymore… I will grant you this special spell. With it… you may return to January-Junction in the springtime, and live amongst the humans until the next winter comes where you will change back into a sprite… and be called to return to your duties until the next spring comes.”
 
 
Pete sat upright in bed. “Some proposition, huh? And you can bet your goulashes that Jack Frost took it. Even though he knew he couldn't be with Elisa… at least he'd have human friends to commingle amongst.”
 
(Music cue)
 
The winter months seemed to pass by quickly, and it was February two once more. “Yep, another groundhog day for me… I wonder what it's going to be this year.”
 
(Pete)
 
Hey, I've got a day named after me, February two.
That's the day that I decide what the weather's gonna do.
 
When I climb out of my burrow,
My cozy little nest,
If I see my shadow following,
There'll be six more weeks of winter's best.
 
I've got a day named after me, February two.
That's the day that I decide what the weather's gonna do.
 
It's an easy occupation.
I only work just once a year.
I'm a living weather station,
Letting people know that spring is near.
 
Hey, I've got a day named after me, February two.
That's the day that I decide what the weather's gonna do.
What the weather's gonna do…
Hey, I've got a day named after me…
Feb-ru-arry… two…
 
OH YEAH…!
 
When the song ended, Pete looked around, and saw his shadow once more. “Oops! Pardon me!” and he dove back into his hole, leaving Jack Frost laughing out in the snow.
 
 
“Of course with an early spring, that would mean that Jack could go back to January-Junction earlier instead of six weeks from now, but… a deal's a deal. Heh-heh-heh… oops… Pardon-me…”
 
“Now then… six weeks later, as the snow was starting to melt, and the birds were returning from their long winter migration, while other animals, such as me, were starting to awaken… Jack Frost returned to the Kingdom of the winter clouds…”
 
 
Jack Frost had had a long and busy winter. Blowing his frost, making icicles, and all that other stuff. Today, he was home again as winter was over, and he asked Father Winter. “Please sir… is it time yet? Can I return to January-Junction now…?”
 
Father Winter gazed down to earth and decided. “Yes indeed Jack Frost… you may return to your human-form and life amongst the other humans.” he said, “Just remember to return by next winter.”
 
Jack Frost bowed to his boss, and then dropped by Snip's place one more time to say goodbye to Holly and Snip. “Oh, my… you're leaving again so soon?” Snip asked. “Ohh… the time flies so fast for us sprites.”
 
Holly hugged Jack's leg. “I wish you luck, Jack.” she said sweetly to him. “Please come back with stories to tell about your life amongst the humans.”
 
Jack kneeled down and patted Holly's tiny little head. “Thank you Holly… and don't worry, the both of you. I'll be okay down there. Farewell…!”
 
And Jack Frost was on his way…
 
Upon his arrival at the foot of Miserable-Mountain, he transformed back into his human-form. “Oh, ho, ho... my… it's certainly nice to be home again.” he chuckled to himself as he walked through the secret-passage, and when he reached the castle… what he found next nearly scared the snow right out of him.
 
Everyone from January-Junction leapt out from hiding places and yelled. “SURPRISE! WELCOME HOME JACK SNIP!” It was a big welcome home party to celebrate his return.
 
Elisa and her family, who were the ones throwing the party, were the first ones to approached the surprised tailor and welcome him home with handshakes, and hugs. Elisa even kissed him on the cheek. “Welcome home Jack.” she said to him.
 
Jack hugged her back, feeling happy yet a little sad, but he was just glad to be home. “Good thing your back now kid…” Papa said. “I'm down to my last pair of stockings, they all need mending you know.”
 
“Papa…!” Mama snapped, but Jack simply smiled and said. “No trouble at all, sir. It's always an honor to serve for friends. Heh-heh…”
 
Sir Ravano thought it was remarkable of how dedicated Jack was to his customers. “I bet King Arthur himself would have been honored to have someone like you in his services Mr. Snip.”
 
Jack smiled, and then everyone settled in to enjoy the party. Little did they all suspect however… that trouble was lurking somewhere over the snowy hills.
 
 
Outside the castle, a Cossack on horseback had heard all of the commotion, and he rode off over the hills. He arrived at a campsite in a lonely place where more Cossacks were roaming about, sharpening their spears and swords, and even loading canons.
 
The Cossack dismounted his horse, and reported what he had heard about in January-Junction to the Cossack King himself, Kubla Kraus. “So… it is true then…” he said. The Januaries have all gathered in my old castle, and are throwing a part for that Jack Frost!”
 
Kubla was the only human in the world to know the true identity of Jack Snip. “Oh, I have not forgotten how he threw me out into this baron wasteland. You remember that Dommy…?”
 
He made his little ventriloquist puppet nod and say. “Oh yes Kubla… I remember. Brr-rr-rr… I still feel a chill from his cold fingers.”
 
“Ha, ha, ha… don't you worry Dommy.” said Kubla. “We will soon be home once again, and all those miserable villagers will pay.”
 
“But what about Jack Frost Kubla…?” Dommy asked. “What will you do about him…?”
 
Kubla chuckled, “Not to worry, Dommy. I have a plan for Frost. A big, really big plan… Ho, ho, ah, ah, ahh…!”