Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Davis and Kari in: Jack Frost Returns ❯ Tears of Frost ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]

CHAPTER SEVEN
 
As Pete took a sip from the little cup of water on the table near his bed, he explained. “Well… aside from Kubla Kraus and his Cossack army. Jack Frost and Elisa were having loads of fun together.”
 
 
Jack allowed Elisa to come with him so she could see what it was like for him to make winter fun on Earth, as well as give the other sprites in the clouds a chance to get back to work without her being in the way of things.
 
Jack flew Elisa to all kinds of places where he made the snow fall, and the ponds freeze into ice. There even some little kids playing in snow, Elisa wanted to join them, and so Jack let her play along, but Elisa found that none of the other kids seemed to notice Jack Frost was over by the trees.
 
She was still having a hard time remembering that only she herself could actual see Jack, but the other kids did know that Jack Frost was around by the sound of his whistling, and the snow that seemed to fall from out of no where at once.
 
“Jack Frost… you really are a magician.” one of the little girls said. Jack felt touched by her compliment.
 
The kids had a wonderful time with Elisa, they made Snowmen and Snowwomen. They skated on the ice. Some of the kids even went tobogganing. Elisa could also see Jack waving at the kids as they passed by laughing on their sleds, but they passed right by and even through Jack's body and didn't seem to notice him at all.
 
Not even when one of the small girls skated onto an area of thin ice, and her weight caused the ice to break up and she was headed for a waterfall. “Help…! Somebody! Help…!”
 
Jack rushed in a whistled up more frost to freeze the water and save the girl. “Wow. Jack Frost isn't only a magician…. He's a hero.” she said. That was exactly like when Jack saved Elisa from the same peril years back.
 
Jack lowered his head feeling a little sad, but it cheered him up a little to know that at least someone could see him… someone who meant a whole lot to him.
 
After a while, all the children had to go home for dinner, leaving Elisa alone by the riverbank. Well except for Jack Frost who was sitting on a tree-stump and gazing sadly into the ice, and that was all he could see, just the ice. For being invisible, he had no reflection that could look back at him.
 
It began to make him feel lonely and sad again… but he was snapped out of his own thought by the sound of someone else crying softly near where he was. It was Elisa… she was on her knees sobbing softly into her hands. Two of her tears even fell on the ice and melted away.
 
Jack walked over towards her. “Elisa…?”
 
Elisa turned her teary face towards him. “Oh, Jack… I'm just so worried.” she sobbed. “Mama… Papa… Sir Ravano... and all the other villagers…”
 
Jack knew how she must have felt. He two felt just horrid that January-Junction was in danger. Not only did Kubla Kraus' and his men steal away all the wonderful things he had worked so hard for… his home, his horse, and his bag of gold… but he also endangered the lives of all the humans he had learned to love so much.
 
“Oh, don't worry Elisa… we'll find someway to beat those evil old Cossacks, somehow…” Jack said.
 
Elisa dried her eyes with a handkerchief she pulled out form her sleeve, and decided she really needed to do something to take her mind off the horrid feelings of January-Junction… and she knew exactly what to ask…
 
“Jack…?”
 
“Yes Elisa…?”
 
“I was wondering, how did you become human, and why did you come and leave so mysteriously….”
 
Jack began to feel and look a little gloomy. “Oh… well… you see…”
 
He still wasn't sure if it was right to tell her the last piece of the truth. He wanted to, but he couldn't… but he still wanted too… but he knew he couldn't…!
 
“Well… it's because I was lonely.” he finally said.
 
“You were lonely…?” Elisa asked. She was most confused at how Jack Frost could be lonely with all the humans around him and all the sprites up in the clouds.
 
Jack explained to her… “I'm the only one that Father Winter sends down among the humans…”
 
“Bring joy to the humans. Make their Christmas' whiter are my orders. But when I try to share their joy, they can't hear or see me.”
 
Elisa realized that that was a pretty lonely life. Nobody could hear or see Jack, and there are no other sprites on Earth he can talk to… “Oh, Jack…” she cried.
 
Jack nodded sadly, “But that's not the only reason…” he said. “Do you remember about the special girl I told you about? The one I was in love with, but feel that I don't have a chance anymore…?”
 
(Jack's lonely song plays)
 
Elisa nodded. “Who is she? Is she someone I know?”
 
Jack nodded. “She is someone you know.” he said. He motioned for her to look down at the ice again. “She's right there…” he said pointing at her reflection.
 
He cheeks turned red as she looked up and smiled, “Me…? You were in love with… Me?”
 
Jack nodded. “Magician you called me… Hero… and I just needed to have my wish granted.”
 
(Jack)
 
I wished… to be… like everyone I see.
Not special; just an ordinary guy.
 
He gazed down at Elisa's beautiful reflection, and imagined himself as a human once more, and Elisa having tea by the fireplace.
 
Who falls… in love, and leads the simple life
At least I wished to have the chance to try.
 
 
He looked up and held his hands to his heart…
 
The happiness of being me,
Is not what it's cracked up to be.
It's lonely being… One… of-a-kind…
 
The images of all the kids not seeing him, and Elisa being married to Sir Ravano began to hurt him inside again…
 
It's lonely… being--
One…of… a kind!
 
Elisa saw a small tear escape from his eye and drop onto the ice. She almost felt like crying herself too. “Jack… I … I never knew.” she said.
 
Jack admitted that he couldn't tell her that he was really Jack Frost from the start, and assumed Snip's name. Jack Snip. He was only allowed to be human for that winter, but he would have been allowed to remain human forever if he obtained a house, horse, bag-of-gold, and a wife… by winter's end.
 
Unfortunately, Kubla Kraus made things difficult by planning to destroy the town. So he changed back into a sprite and managed to snowbound the castle until the first day of spring… when he became human for a short while, and ridded the town of Kubla forever, with the help of Father Winter.
 
In doing so… Jack clamed ownership of the castle, his house… Clang-Stumper, Kubla's metal steed was also his now; his horse... He also found all the treasures and gold that Kubla had taken, “Enough for a-hundred bags.”
 
“So all I needed was to make you my wife before noon… but by the time I got into town and asked your Papa for your hand in marriage, it was too late. You had fallen in love with Sir Ravano and were to be married at noon that day.”
 
“You're Papa also told me…”
 
“I never heard her say she loved anyone before Sir Ravano. Except Jack Frost, but he is just a dream. She we'll always love Jack Frost… but no, I never heard her say she loved you… Jack Snip.”
 
Broken-hearted, and shamed that he was making a fool of himself for a woman who never really loved him at all, Jack changed back into a Sprite and left… but not before. “An old friend kissed the bride…” Elisa said. “Oh my goodness...!”
 
Jack nodded very sadly, and another tear leaked out from his eye. Then he explained how Father Winter compensated him for coming so close, and allowed him to stay human every year until the winter. Then he would change back, until the next spring.
 
“And ever since then… your Papa and I kept my feeling form you a secret, and I just couldn't bear to tell you as you seemed so happy. I didn't want to upset you. I just couldn't.”
 
Elisa was completely heart-struck by what she had just heard… The fact that THE Jack Frost was in love with her was just remarkable. All he was trying to do was please her, and win her heart so he could experience human-life, so he wouldn't be lonely anymore…
 
“Oh, thank you Jack…”
 
“For what…?” Jack asked.
 
“For being so kind… and honest with me… For just being you…” and she pecked him slightly on his cheek, not minding at all that it was so cold.
 
Jack gently raised his fingers and creased his cheek gently. “Golly… thank you Elisa.” He said softly to her, and they both then turned to watch the sunset, holding hands together.