Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon 02: The Road Not Taken ❯ A Kind of Hope ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Digimon 02: The Road Not Taken
By Robster80


Episode Two: A Kind of Hope



*************************************************** *****************************
Last time: The kids spent a day fixing up an area of the Digital World several days after Ken's defeat. TK wanted to talk to Kari about his feelings, but he was shocked when he discovered that she was now dating Davis. He accepted this, but went home to secretly cry for his missed chance. Later on, he gets an e-mail from Ken asking to meet him and to bring his D-3 and Patamon. Meanwhile, Veemon has begun to suspect that Davis' feeling toward Kari aren't love...
*************************************************************** *****************


"See you guys later," Ken called out his teammates as he headed for his duffel bag at the benches. Practice had gone well. The team had learned new defense formations, and worked up a sweat. Well, Ken was sweating at the end, at least.

The duffel bag shifted suddenly, and a whimpering sound came from within it.

Since he was alone now, Ken opened his bag to let a Digimon with a green head, purple mouth, and a brown antennae pop out. The Digimon gasped for air. "When was the last time you washed your socks, Ken?"

This made Ken chuckle. "Mom washed them last night, Minomon, you know that."

"Then I've just made an important discovery: socks smell bad even if they get washed."

"You ain't kidding."

Ken and Minomon looked up in shock, only to see TK standing above them on the hill next to the practice field. Patamon was perched on his one shoulder, smiling at Minomon.

TK's face, however, was neutral. "Ken."

"Hello, TK."

They just stared at each other like that. No emotion was shown by either, though their Digimon were worried. It was the first time, both knew (or at least, Minomon guessed), that the two boys had seen each other face-to-face in a few months, since the day Magnamon killed Kimeramon; the day Wormmon, and the Digimon Emperor, died...


***************************************************** ***************************


"Goodbye, Ken..."

Ken watched as the last of Wormmon broke away into data, and vanished. His Digimon, his friend, was dead. And he had killed him.

"No," he cried, smashing his fists into the desert sands. "Wormmon, come back! I'm sorry! I'm... so... sorry..."

The Digi-Destined looked on at the sobbing kid that was once their enemy, the Digimon Emperor. It was a surprise to see Ken crying over a Digimon, especially his own. He had mercilessly hurt innocent Digimon, enslaved them with dark rings and dark spirals. He even tore pieces of Digimon to create a monster named Kimeramon, his custom weapon to conquer the Digital World that slaughtered countless Digimon. Now, he was crying over the death of Wormmon.

"Hmph," Davis grunted, holding Demi-Veemon. "This is what you deserve, pal! After all the evil and pain you've caused everyone here, you deserve to lose not just Kimeramon, but all of your Digimon."

"That's harsh," Cody said to Davis. But then he turned to Ken. "However, what he said was true. You've hurt a lot of innocent Digimon, and even abused your Digimon. And creating that... that beast Kimeramon, what were you thinking?!"

Yolei nodded in agreement. "That thing was wild, out of control. It would have killed you when you weren't looking. Wormmon's sacrifice was noble, but if you had listened to him-!"

"That's enough!"

Now all eyes were on TK, even Ken's. "Can't you see he's suffered enough," he asked them. "We don't need to twist the knife any deeper."

Davis looked at TK as if he was crazy. "What's with you, JC?! He hit you, after all. Not that it matters, anyway." That last part was spoken quieter than the first part.

TK hung his head a little. "That... was my own fault. I just lost my head when I went to face him by myself. What Ken did, it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't gone to him alone."

He then looked Ken in the eyes, a sympathetic glow coming from his own eyes. "I know what it's like to watch your Digimon make the ultimate sacrifice like that. Back when... when I first came here with Matt and the others, we faced our first enemy Devimon. In the end, Patamon had to digivolve into Angemon to defeat him, but... Angemon used up all of his power to do it, and he died. But that was when we first learned that Digimon don't really die. They go back to a Digi-Egg, and start life over. That's how Patamon came back... and I'm sure Wormmon will do the same."

Ken's face brightened a little. There was a chance Wormmon would come back. "Is this true," he asked. "Is it... really true?"

"By now, since it hasn't appeared here, I think Wormmon's egg has gone back to Primary Village," Kari said, speaking at last. Even though she knew Ken had been wrong, she remembered that people can change and be forgiven. "That's were all Digimon are born."

Wanting to side with Kari, Davis changed his tune, somewhat. "Yeah, so don't worry about Wormmon dying, but don't be surprised if he doesn't want to be with you anymore." Then, remembering the golden Digi-Egg, Davis pulled out his D-Terminal and checked it. "Hey, I got to keep that Digi-Egg! Demi-Veemon, you're three times as powerful now. No, wait, nine times as powerful!"

Ken wasn't listening. He was still in slight shock about the chance Wormmon would be reborn.

While the others congratulated Davis on his new Digi-Egg, Patamon tugged at TK's ear. "Look at your foot," he whispered.

Sure enough, there was something small sticking out of the sand near TK's foot. Recognizing the shape, TK bent down and picked it up. "It's a crest! I haven't seen one of these in while." He wanted to show the others, but they were busy with Davis and Demi-Veemon. {Oh well, it's their loss. Hmmm, I'm not familiar with this crest.}

Looking away, TK noticed Ken was starting to walk off. "Hey, Ken!"

Ken looked back to see TK toss something at him. He caught it, and examined it curiously. "What... What's this?"

"It's a crest," TK called to him. "Most likely your crest."

Though he didn't understand, Ken gave a little nod and continued walking on. He wanted to get out of the Digital World. He wanted to go home.

"Hey, why don't you join us?"

That caught everyone's attention, though not everyone liked what TK has just said. Yolei, Davis, and Cody started shouting about Ken being their enemy, trying to kill them, etc. Deciding not to cause anymore trouble for the day, Ken walked on, ignoring TK calling after him.

{Not today, TK. But, perhaps another day...}



************************************************ ********************************


After a long, awkward silence, Ken started to smile. "I hoped you would come, though your e-mail was kind of strange." He then noticed TK's bandaged hand. "And what did you do to your hand?"

"Let's just say I'm having a bad weekend and leave it at that," TK replied. "I see you found Wormmon."

"Call me Minomon in this form," Minomon explained. "After that mess with Kimeramon, I woke up and found myself in Primary Village. I looked around, and there was Ken, crying his eyes out as he looked at me."

This made TK smile. "Glad to hear that, and I don't mean for it to sound like I'm being mean."

"How's your cheek, by the way?"

"Not bad. I've had worse beatings from my brother, anyway. Now," TK said as he pulled out his D-3 and D-Terminal, "why did you want me to bring these for?"

Ken shook his head. "I'll show you, but not here. Let's go to the Digital World."

A voice in TK's head told him not to go along with the plan. Ken might have set a trap for him. However, he figured that if Ken had set a trap, then it would have been Davis that Ken wanted to get revenge on, not him. And even if it was a trap, he'd fight back. It didn't matter.

"Your place, or my place?"

"Whichever is closer."


**************************************************** ****************************


Kari sat on her couch, flipping through the channels on TV. But for some reason, she couldn't find anything interesting to watch.

That wasn't the problem, she realized eventually. There wasn't anything on to help get her mind off of yesterday. It wasn't confessing to Davis that she loved him, at least partly not that.

{Why did I agree to keep our relationship a secret? Davis only suggested it because then he'd get the last laugh on TK, and I don't want that! TK's my best friend, and I would never hurt him that way. Besides, it's not like he took my flirting with him seriously.

{But, then again, he has been a little nervous around me lately. Does he like more than a best friend?}

With a click of the remote, Kari turned off the TV before reaching for the phone.

{I'm going to tell TK about Davis and me. He has a right to know. And if he likes me, if he like, likes me... I'll have to let him down easy. ...And hope we can still be friends.}

Two rings later, Kari got an answer. "Hello, Takaishi residence?"

"Hello, Ms. Takaishi. Is TK there?"

"Hi, Kari. No, he's not in. he had to go out to see someone today, but he wouldn't tell me who."

{See someone,} Kari repeated in her head. {Maybe he doesn't like me that way.}

"Should I tell him you called?"

"Uh, no. Thanks, but there's no message. I just wanted to see what he was doing today. I have to go, bye!" She hung up quickly.

{I shouldn't have called. Davis would be upset if I broke our promise, and besides, TK will know along with everyone else in a few days.

{Sorry, TK. I like you, but I love Davis.}


***************************************************** ***************************


TK and Ken walked into his apartment to find his mother, Nancy, hanging up the phone. "Hi, mom. Who called?"

Nancy turned with a little start. "Oh, TK! It was just a wrong number. Oh, who's your friend?"

"This is Ken, my new friend. Ken, this is my mom."

Ken bowed, still holding onto his duffel bag. "Hello, Mrs. Takaishi."

"Hello, Ken. And it's not Mrs.; my maiden name is Takaishi."

Ken bowed again, blushing at his error. "My apologies, Ma'am."

TK snickered before his mother suddenly asked him "Is he also a Digi-Destined?"

His jaw dropped. "How did you know?"

"You took Patamon out with you. That's an obvious hint. I assume he's in the duffel bag."

Patamon managed to squeeze himself out of the bag and into open air, gasping. "Seems we can't fool her anymore, TK," he said with a shrug.

"Guess not. Mom, Ken and I are going to the Digital World for a little bit. If Kari or any of the others call, don't tell them anything."

"My lips are sealed," Nancy replied before TK, Ken, and Patamon headed for TK's room and his computer. {First Kari's hiding something, and now TK. And who's this Ken? I wonder if... whoa, don't go there, Nancy Takaishi!}


************************************************** ******************************


TK wasn't sure if he should have been surprised that Ken had led him to an area full of control spires. Then again, TK had the Digi-Egg of Hope, so he stood some chance against an ambush.

Ken noticed TK and Patamon seemed tense. "Jumpy, aren't we?"

"First rule of Chicago: don't trust anyone."

"Ah, yes. 'The Untouchables.' It was... Sam's favorite movie."

TK raised an eyebrow. "Sam?"

"Older brother. He was killed in a car accident... a few years ago."

"I... I didn't know-."

"You have an older brother, correct? Matt Ishida? Do you fight with him?"

"Hardly, us being separated due to the divorce. But we do have our disagreements once in a while, though not as bloody as his fights with Tai."

"Just before Sam died, we had a fight. I wished hard for him to go away, and when I got my wish... I felt numb, and empty. Losing Wormmon reminded me of that day. ...I think we'd better get back to why we're here."

"Ken... if you ever want to talk about anything-."

"I'll let you know. Anyway, look at this."

Ken held out his D-3 to TK, who noticed a huge change. The inner coloring was white, like on his and the other D-3s, instead of gray. "When did that change?"

"After I got Wormmon back. Now, here's why I brought you along. Wormmon, go for it!" He pointed his D-3 at his Digimon, who started to glow and change form.

"WORMMON DIGIVOLVE TO... STINGMON!"

Patamon and TK dropped their jaws at the tall, humanoid insect standing between them and Ken. They had never seen Wormmon digivolve before, especially when in the middle of a large number of control spires.

"I've been working day and night on breaking the control spire's jamming of all Digivices, and I finally got it figured out," Ken explained. "However, it only works with D-3 Digivices since I don't have a standard Digivice to experiment on. It's a program that can be shared from D-3 to D-Terminal, vice-versa, and between two of each device."

"Amazing," was all TK could say.

"TK, I wanted to show you first because you were kind to me after you and the others defeated me a while back. ...And I'd like... to accept your offer about joining your group."

A frown appeared on TK's face. "Actually, now is not a good time. I'll try to get them to go along with the idea, but... not now, not yet. Things aren't going good right now."

There was something TK was hiding, and the look Patamon had made it more evident, but Ken decided not to pry. "I understand. I'll wait for you to convince them.

"And if YOU need to talk about anything," Stingmon cut in, his voice deep and strong, "Ken and I are all ears. Or at least he is."

TK just tossed Ken his D-3. "Let's work on that program-sharing first. I feel like wrecking some spires right now."

"Works for me."


******************************************************** ************************


Cody walked back into the computer room, where Izzy and the others were waiting by one of the computers. "No one's home," he said. "All I got was the answering machine. Again."

"Where could he be," wondered Izzy. "It isn't like TK to go off on his own without telling anyone. Even Matt doesn't know where he is."

"I called him earlier and his mom said he had to go see someone," Kari explained.

"Well, I'm not waiting any longer," Davis exclaimed. "He who hesitates is lost, and we can do fine without TC or his Digimon. Let's go annihilate more spires!"

"As much as I hate to admit," Yolei began, "I agree with Davis. We can't wait for TK all day."

Izzy sighed heavily. He didn't like Davis' tone about TK, but time was not on their side. They had to go home sooner or later. "Okay, but I'll check the Digital World in case he's already there."

Davis held his blue D-3 to the screen. "Whatever. DIGI-PORT OPEN!"


****************************************************** **************************


TK was definitely angry about something, Ken noticed. He kept barking orders to Angemon, getting harsher each time. {Does it have to do with the others? I know he and Davis aren't exactly friends...}

When the dust settled, all of the spires were reduced to rubble. However, TK wasn't smiling. He still wanted to destroy more spires. He could see Davis' smug face on several of them, and some of them had Kari's sweet, innocent face on them. It made him angrier; his built up rage against the two lovebirds finally getting out.

The beeping of his D-Terminal caught his attention, and calmed him some as it brought his thoughts back to reality. However, when he checked his e-mail, his sour expression came back. "Oh, just terrific!"

Ken rushed over to him as Stingmon and Angemon reverted to their Rookie forms. "What's the matter?"

"It's from Izzy. He found me using my D-3's signal, and he's alerted Davis and the others to where we are. They're heading this way, and they're not far!"

"Then we'd better use the port we came through and get back to your place before they find us. We both know they won't accept my reforming just yet."

"Then as that guy with the bowl haircut always says," Patamon said as he started flying for the nearby monitor, "'every man for himself!'"

Wormmon and the others ran after him, both boys aiming their D-3s at the monitor, which started glowing before sucking them into it and then shutting off.

Minutes later, Davis and the others arrived; Cody and Armadillomon riding with Yolei on Halsemon while Kari and Davis rode their respective Digimon, Raidramon and Nefertimon.

"That's strange," Yolei said while looking around. "TK and Patamon aren't here."

"Worse than that," Davis exclaimed, "someone took out these control spires before we did."

"How is that bad?"

Davis glared at Raidramon. "Ken's probably back in the Digital World and trying to cover his tracks."

"I don't know," Kari stated. "Izzy couldn't figure out that other signal that was with TK's in this area. It may not be Ken."

"I'm sure it's him," Davis muttered. Raising his voice, he then told Raidramon, "You and Nefertimon scout around in case someone's waiting to ambush us. We'll look around here." He then dropped his voice to a whisper. "Now's your chance to hook up with Gatomon like I did with Kari."

Rolling his eyes, Raidramon went off on his own, Nefertimon reluctantly following him.


******************************************************** ************************


No one was home when TK and Ken returned with their Digimon. The boys left them to rest on TK's bed as they went out to see if Nancy was there, which she wasn't.

Ken was wondering how to ask TK about earlier, when TK suddenly said, "I'm jealous of Davis."

"Why? You're a lot nicer than him-."

"Nice guys finish last, Ken. If that's not true, then how come Kari fell in love with Davis and... and not me?"

"...How do you know?"

"I... spied on them. I didn't mean to, though. Yesterday, we all were in the Digital World trying to help restore order, and I wanted to tell Kari how I felt about her. When Gatomon told me she went to se davis, I went to the area Davis was working on and I saw them together. She was kissing him. ...and then she said she loved him."

"And what happened next?"

"They decided to keep their relationship a secret for now, planning to let everyone know in a few weeks."

"And that's mostly why you're upset."

"She's my best friend! We don't keep secrets from each other! But, she went and agreed to not tell anyone, not even me, that she's dating Davis."

"Do you love her?"

"...Fighting for her would be pointless since she'd then hate me. So I... I've decided not to get in the way."

"And since the pain's still fresh, you can't face them yet. Now I understand, somewhat. Actually, I don't, because I haven't fallen in love yet. But, since you can't tell the others about this without causing fights among your friends, you've let that pain start to consume you."

"Kari's older brother knows. Last night he came over giving me his blessing to date Kari. When he told me he wanted me as Kari's boyfriend, I broke down and confessed everything. He's promised not to tell anyone, but telling him didn't help at all."

TK soon felt Ken's hand on his shoulder. "And now, you have me and Wormmon to talk about your problems." He handed TK a slip of paper. "There's my number, address, and email. Just don't expect me to make house calls all the time. Speaking of homes, I should get back to mine. It's getting late."

They both went to get Wormmon, Ken carrying him in his arms. TK showed him to the door and let him out.

"Shall we go again tomorrow?"

"Sure. We'll work out a time later tonight through email. And Ken?"

"Hmm?"

"...Thanks for listening."

"Thank you, for giving me a second chance."


**************************************************** ****************************


TK was finishing an e-mail for Ken later that night when the phone rang. {Great, first I had to respond to all the emails the gang sent me, and now this} He picked it up. "Hello?"

"Still suffering from cupid's arrow, huh, TK?"

"Matt! I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't lie, TK! Tai came over today and told me that you told him Kari's secretly dating Davis."

This news nearly made TK drop the phone. {Dammit, I only made him promise not to tell Kari!}

"I can tell from the silence you're worried about Tai telling everyone. I made sure he won't tell anyone else. Look, TK, I know how much you care about Kari, and I'm sorry she's pulled this on you."

"Look, Matt, I just blabbed about all of this to... a new friend, and I don't want to be depressed for two nights in a row. So you'll excuse me if I hang up and go to sleep."

"This new friend wouldn't be Ken, would it?"

"...What are you, psychic?!"

"No, just well informed. Gabumon saw you two working together demolishing spires today and he told me about it when I accessed a Port earlier."

"And what do you think about this, huh?"

"You're willing to give him a chance, and so am I. Besides, IF he double-crosses you, I'll hammer his butt before he can make another move. That's all I wanted to say, so you rest up and try not to think about Kari anymore, okay? She's just a girl."

"So's Mimi."

"...Touché," was all Matt said before he hung up.


********************************************************* ***********************


Cody couldn't focus while practicing kendo with his grandfather. TK's strange absence bothered him.

Cody's Grandfather removed his mask. "What's the matter, Cody?"

"TK didn't hang with us today for some reason," Cody explained while removing his mask. "We tried calling him many times, but he wasn't home. And yesterday, he left early without telling anyone. I'm beginning to worry he's having problems."

"Probably girl problems," Cody's grandfather stated. "Boys around his age have that problem, but it will pass if he has the strength. By the way, I met an acquaintance of yours earlier today on my way back from buying more prune juice."

"An acquaintance?"

"Yes. I believe he was that smart boy... what was his name? Oh, yes! Ken Ichijoji. I met him as he was leaving this building."

Cody's eyes widened. "What?! Ken was here?!"



End Episode 2


Next: After two days of ducking and dodging, TK and Ken get caught by Davis and the gang in the Digital World. During the confrontation, TK reveals that Davis and Kari are secretly dating, which only adds fuel to the fire as the group begins to divide itself. Also, an old friend from the battle with the Dark Masters returns, one thought long dead.

Author's Note: Yes, I know the 01 kids can't use the Digi-Ports (except for Mimi, Matt and Tai, but that was never explained), but Matt only accessed it. Menaing, he could use it to communicate with Gabumon and the other chosen Digimon.

As for why this took so long, I'm about to graduate from college and I'm trying to apply for a real job so I can earn money for the upcoming bills my father is transferring to me (Thanks loads, old man!). Ah, but that's life, rotten all over.

Now, most of you fans know by now that Digimon is dead, Frontier being the final season. So why am I continuing with stories involving Digimon characters? Old favorites die hard. Just ask any Transformer fan (except me, of course :-P).

TTFN!