Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Medieval Times ❯ What are the common folk like? ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER TWO
 
 
As the sun went down that evening, most of the commoners went home for the night, unaware that from a place in the palace. The Daimio's faithful advisor, called Counselor Otoshi Xerxes, was watching them all with a disgruntled look.
 
“Commoners… They are weak!” he said under his breath. “They lack discipline! They lack commitment!!”
 
Xerxes' faithful lackey, Yoshi Gaiden, approached him and said. “Master, If I may ask… What is it about the common folk that disturbs you.”
 
Xerxes spun around fast and glared at him angrily. “I have explained this to you several time over, but I shall try once more…” he growled. “Because they do not deserve to be.”
 
To Xerxes he'd always been the idolizer of perfect world where there we're no commoners. Just the rich, the powerful, the strong and mighty, and those not like them, put to death.
 
For some reason, he hated Commoners with the passion, and wanted nothing more than to wipe them from the face of the Earth forever.
 
He had a wicked plan though. One that was similar to all his plans he'd ever done, Plans that only he was aware of and shared with no one. Not even the Daimio, his Lord Master who had hired him of keeping peace in Wassashi.
 
“A few weeks more, and we can bid farewell to their primitive ways for good.” He thought to himself. “Never again will there be any poor slackers to commingle amongst the rich.”
 
 
That night, Princess Hikari was having a hard time sleeping, because her mind was still fixed on gazing at the people down below her.
 
She gazed on about the town below. It sure did seem interesting.
 
There were merchants handling their items to people. Women and children heading home for the night. Even some young hooligans making village idiots of themselves.
 
Hikari tried as hard as she could to resist it, but you know how it is when you get those feelings that bother you until you settle them. “I'll just sneak out for a little while, no one will notice.” Hikari thought to herself.
 
So she went over to her clothing pile and put on a simple ragged old hood and skirt to hide her royal looks, then she slipped out the back way of the Palace.
 
Two of the guards were block the way down the path that lead into the town. Hikari picked up a small stone and pitched it across to the other side.
 
The clattering sound alerted the two men and they marched off to investigate giving Hikari the perfect chance to sneak down the path unseen.
 
She took her first few steps into the village of the common folk and was quite amazed. Even the palace was never this busy before, not even during feasts in honor.
 
“Wow…” was all she could say as she continued forward. She passed a lot of merchants in the street who all offered her to sample their merchandise.
 
“Fresh fish… we catch them; you buy them.”
 
“Diamonds, necklaces all for the lovely lady.”
 
Hikari's disguise seemed to be working. Nobody recognized her. “So this is what commoners are like; Fascinating.” She said to herself.
 
She looked around a little while longer, and then found a small place where it looked as though the villagers were having loads of fun.
 
It was actually one of those places she'd heard of called a Tavern hut, where many of the villagers came for cold drinks and to hang out at places.
 
Hikari never saw anything like this. Some of the men were jumbling their words as they spoke, obviously the fact that they were drunk.
 
Some were really depressed over certain things and were drinking away their troubles, and the rest were just having a quick drink after a long hard day's work.
 
Hikari asked for just a plain cup of water, but she didn't realize she'd have to pay for it. She had nearly forgotten that she was disguised as a commoner and nobody recognized her.
 
But she did have small change on her. So she handed the tender a tiny yellow pieces of gravel. “Do you play games with me, Young lady!” the angry tender barked at her. “You pay in ordinary rocks, instead of money.”
 
This captured the attention of everyone in the bar and the tenders assistant took the small rock to look at it more closely. “Egadzooks!!” he cried happily. “Father look at this… this is no rock, Tis Genuine gold.”
 
 
“Ooooh!” everyone in the tavern gloated.
 
The Tender owed this young lady a very sincere apology and gave her a set of five entire water bags in addition to the plain cup she had.
 
Hikari walked over to an empty table in the corner and sat down with her water. “My word, I never knew such tempers existed within these people.” She said to herself.
 
After she left the Tavern she had no idea of where to go next. There was so much to explore in these places she didn't know what to do, but keeping in mind she should head back to the palace soon.
 
She was so lost in her daydreams that she didn't see three ruffian boys creep up from behind and steal one of her water bags. “Hey!!” she growled “Stop, thieves!” and she chased on after them.
 
The three young boys circled round a corner wondering how much money they had stolen off that women, but to their surprise and disgust. “Ah… This be no change carrier. Tis nothing but a mere water bag!” one f the boys snarled.
 
“GRR… that ungrateful wretch!” said another as he whipped out a dagger. “She shall pay for deceiving us, by her blood!!”
 
Hikari ran round the same corner those boys ran, but she did not see them anywhere. “Where have they gone?” she said angrily. Then suddenly she was grabbed from behind by one of the boys.
 
“Ah-ha… trying to deceive us with these tricks now!” he said. Then his comrade joined him. Hikari let out a scream of fright when she saw the dagger.
 
One of the villagers passing by heard the scream and immediately guessed something was wrong, so he dashed off alerting the village to call out the guards.
 
The boy with the dagger poised it and waved it near Hikari's face. “Oh, such a sham such a fair creature as thee must be killed… OH WELL!!”
 
Hikari screamed as the boy drew arm back to jab her, but suddenly… a pair of scissors on a thick chain, that came out of nowhere, ensnared the boy's arm and yanked him away. He whammed right into a tree and passed out.
 
“What… Who did that?” one of the other boys. “I demand to know who is there!!”
 
“Look!” cried the other boy, pointing up into the tree. Hikari looked up too, and saw a rather strange figure standing on the limb.
 
 
He was a tall young man with brown spiky hair. He was wearing an old brown tunic and faded white tights. Brown leather boots, and an old red ragged cape fluttering in the wind.
 
He was holding onto the very chain with the scissors at the end, and he also had a long Katana in a sheath on his belt, and quiver full of arrows with a medium-sized bow on his back.
 
He leapt down from the tree and retracted his chain. “Picking on a poor fair helpless maiden…” he said. “Have you no shame.”
 
The two boys growled and charged the young man. “Insolent insect!!” one of them growled, “Prepare to taste the wrath of my fist!!”
 
He aimed a powerful punch at the man's body, but the young man just stretched out of the way as if it were coming toward him in slow motion, and kicked the boy hard in the gut sending him out cold.
 
“I have tasted fists before, and I dislike them.” Mocked the man.
 
The other boy pulled out a long quarter staff and charged at him. “You got past my friends, you will not get past me!!” and he started performing tricks with his staff.
 
“HO… HA-HA… GUARD, TURN, PARRY, DODGE, SPIN, HAH, THRUST!!” but when he thrusted his staff forward the young man just grabbed hold of the staff.
 
“Keep practicing!” he said and shoved the staff and the boy down cold. All three of the boys lay unconscious on the ground. Hikari was very surprised. “That was amazing.” She said, “And very brave of you.”
 
The Young man turned and smiled at the pretty young lady. “It was not brave…” he said, “Those boys only fight for greed, anyone who is anyone could beat them.”
 
Hikari couldn't understand it, but there seemed to be something strange about this man. He was not like other commoner, he was brave, strong, graceful, and just saved her from a horrible fate.
 
Suddenly, the sound of the guards riding on their horses were coming closer. The Young man leapt up into the trees and scattered off. “Wait… Wait!” cried Hikari, but he was already gone.
 
Speaking of which, the guards were getting closer. “Oh, no… I must flee for home.” She said to herself and scattered off in the dark areas so as not to be seen.