Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Medieval Times ❯ Run Princess!! ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FIVE
 
 
The Next morning, Gaiden took the Princess out on her pleasure ride as promised. Hikari insisted upon wearing the ragged old outfit to disguise herself so as not to draw attention to her being the Princess.
 
There was so much for her to inherit when she would become Queen. Once her father even took her to the top of the kingdom at sunrise and showed her that everything the light touched was their land.
 
“One day my child, all this will be entrusted to you. I know that in my heart, you will learn to become a fine Queen, and make our world a better place.”
 
Hikari always believed her father in those days, but now she was feeling rather content and bored. She was destined to be Queen of Wassashi, but all for what?
 
Marrying Captain Takeru, so he could make all the choices, and she'd rarely be allowed outside anymore. There just had to be someway, or someone out there that could make things brighter for her.
 
Hikari then noticed that Gaiden was acting a little strange all morning ever since they had set off. “Gaiden, are you alright?” she asked.
 
Gaiden snapped up. “Oh… yes Princess, I am quite fine.” But actually he wasn't feeling at all swell, knowing what he would have to do once Hikari began picking wild flowers.
 
They arrived at a clearing a few hills over the outsides of the village. Pretty flowers were everywhere, and Hikari was always one for picking. They dismounted their horses and Hikari got to her picking.
 
Pansies, lilies, daisies, and her favorites, the red rose. Soon she had picked a lovely bouquet and the scent of all those pretty flowers together was just breathtaking.
 
Gaiden then realized that while she was distracted now was the time to move in. He looked around to make certain no one was watching, and pulled out his dagger. Ever so slowly he moved forward with a blaze in his eyes.
 
Hikari then overheard the sound of chirping coming from the ground by a tree near the entrance to a deep dark wood. There was a little birdie who had fallen out from his nest.
 
“Oh, you poor thing.” Hikari said as she helped the little guy up and gently placed him back in his nest with his mother and father. “Ah… there you are. All safe and sound.”
 
The little bird chirped happily at the young lady as a sign of thanks, but then he began chirping wildly and gestured behind her.
 
Hikari looked around and saw Gaiden drawing back his arm ready to stab her. She screamed of fright and braced herself.
 
Gaiden tried to bring his arm down, but he just couldn't. He dropped his dagger and held himself in shame. “I can't… I can't do it!” he cried. He fell to his knees. “Oh, please Princess… I beg of forgiveness… Forgive me!”
 
Hikari breathed heavily at a sign of relief, “My word Gaiden… what would ever possess you to murder me?” she asked.
 
“Please, your highness… it was not I who wanted this… it was my Master, he wants you dead!”
 
Hikari's eyes widened, “Xerxes?” she asked. “But, why would--” she stopped when they suddenly heard the sound of angry growling coming from the woods.
 
Hikari slowly turned round and saw a whole pack of very angry and very hungry looking wolves. “Oh, my!” she cried while trembling with fear.
 
Gaiden couldn't let those beasts hurt her like this, but then he saw something. He silently picked up his dagger and waited for the right moment and tossed it at a vie on a tree which knocked some rocks down by the wolves.
 
“RUN PRINCESS!! SAVE YOURSELF!!” cried Gaiden.
 
Hikari leapt up and hopped up onto Sanji and took off like the wind, but in the wrong direction. Only one wolf stayed and faced Gaiden, and lost the fight after Gaiden killed it but the other five took off after Hikari.
 
Sanji galloped madly through the woods with the wolves slowly catching up. “Come on Sanji, Fatser!!” cried Hikari.
 
Those wolves mad and hungry as ever chased on and on. Little did any one of them know that they were being watched from up in the trees. A shadowy figure saw the whole thing happening and leapt down to follow them.
 
Hikari could see a light up ahead meaning she found the end of the forest, but the wolves were still chasing her, and worse, just as she got to the exit three more wolves popped right up in front of her and scared Sanji.
 
Hikari fell off his back, and Sanji got his reins all tagged up on a tree limb so he couldn't run away. “SANJI, NO!!” Hikari screamed.
 
The wolves had her completely boxed in from all sides. Their teeth dripped with their hungry drool followed by their sickening growls. All Hikari could do was scream as a wolf jumped for her.
 
She braced for her death, but suddenly an arrow from nowhere shot right into the wolf's side. He howled in pain and keeled over.
 
The other wolves and Hikari looked up from where the arrow had come from, and the shadowy figure leapt down from the treetops holding his bow.
 
Hikari couldn't believe her eyes, this was the same young man who saved her the night before. “Alright wolves… time for the main course!” he said as he put down his bow and quiver, and withdrew his katana.
 
The wolves growled at him and the battle was on.
 
Hikari watched the young man take all the wolves by himself. Any other man would've been killed in an instant, but this young kept dodging their claws and fangs and ended up killing two more wolves before the rest of them ran off.
 
“There's plenty more where that came from should you ever come back!” the young man called, but then he gasped and held his arm where a small bite mark was.
 
Hikari untied Sanji from the tree, and walked over to the young man. “You're hurt!” she cried. “Are you alright?”
 
The young man stood and sheathed his sword. “I've had worse injures before.” The young man said. “Ow…”
 
Hikari wasn't taking any chances. “No… come with me, I can help you.” She said politely and lead him and Sanji out from the woods.
 
Meanwhile
 
Gaiden was facing huge charges back at the palace when Lord Noronaga heard that his daughter was lost, or even… No, best not to think of it.
 
He was sentenced to one month hard labour in the farmers fields. He would have been put to death had his Master not shown up to soften the Daimio's anger.
 
“No more excuses, Xerxes.” Cried the Daimio. “I want my daughter back, I want you to send all the men we have left to find her and bring her back here.”
 
Xerxes bowed, “I assure you My Lord, the Princes will be home safe and sound before--”
 
“Xerxes I don't wish to discuss it!” snapped the Daimio “Just Find her, or else!”
 
Xerxes bowed again and left. He was very angry at Gaiden for not completing his job, but in a way he presented him with a singular opportunity. For this, he would spare Gaiden his life… this time.
 
“Poor, Princess… Oh she is in for it deeply now. Hmm, mm ,mm!”