Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Medieval Times ❯ Courage and Honor ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER SEVEN
 
 
Hikari thought that story was both sad and exciting at the same time. A Poor young man with almost no fought of his own, struggling to survive and to find what he seeks.
 
“I think that is enough about myself.” Daisuke said, “Tell me Hikari, what is your life like in Wassashi?”
 
Hikari thought he might ask her that question, but she wished he hadn't. She had just been told a story from a wild adventurer, and what type of story did she have to return it with.
 
That she was the daughter of a Daimio, destined to become queen, and marry by the next full moon, and live a life that to her was the most boring thing she could wish for.. She just couldn't say it.
 
But before she opened her mouth to say anything, Daisuke just smiled at her. “I see… you do not wish to tell me of your life because of some secrets that may affect you.” He said. “I get that from many people, and I see no harm in it.”
 
All he seemed to do was stare at her, Hikari almost blushed. “Uh… yes… well… shouldn't we be on our way by now?” she asked.
 
Daisuke snapped out of his gaze. “Oh, yes. Of course” he said. “Unfortunately to start you off on your way home, we'd never make it like this.”
 
The land of Wassashi was too far away for them to make a long journey, and with only three dead wolves to give them food, and no directions, their only option was to find the nearest land and work it up there.
 
Daisuke knew of one place where he worked some time ago. A Village called Kohaku, due north. It would take them some time until tomorrow afternoon to reach. So the mounted their horses, and took off.
 
“Just be careful around these parts.” Daisuke said to her.
 
Hikari secretly thought. “Careful is correct… If I don't watch it, I may start to grow fond of this man.”
 
 
Unbeknownst to them both that not too far away. Another lost warrior was in the woods eating eatable roots and berries he had found. Captain Takeru.
 
He was merely taking a rest break from his terrain scans for the Daimio. Both he and his horse, Kagura were weary.
 
All that was on Takeru's mind was his beloved Princess awaiting him at home in the land. Soon he would return and they would be wed.
 
Suddenly he looked down by the trail he and Kagura had been strolling on, and saw more horse tracks alongside their own.
 
“Strange…” Takeru said to no one in particular. “What would a horse be doing galloping around in this part of the woods?”
 
He looked more carefully at the footprints, and then something familiar about them entered his mind. “No.”
 
The Next morning
 
The second in command of the army returned to Wassashi palace to deliver his report to Lord Noronaga. “Well…” he asked, “Any sign of them?”
 
The solider shook his head. “I regret to say no, My Lord.” He said. “We searched everywhere. We found no trace of your daughter, or Captain Takeru.”
 
The Daimio ordered the soldiers to expand the search and not to return until his Daughter was safe at home, and her fiancée as well.
 
He slumped onto his cushion throne and sipped some Sakei. “What have I done to deserve this?” he asked sadly. “All I want is for my Daughter to be returned, and frankly I am doubting I shall ever see here again.”
 
Xerxes sipped some Sakei of his own. “Fear not My lord, with all the men you've sent out, your daughter is as good as found.” He said.
 
The Daimio looked up from his cup. “And what makes you so sure she is still alive and well?” he said Angrily. “For all we know she could be lying dead at the mercy of a wolf tribe.”
 
“One can always hope!” Xerxes thought silently. “My lord, I've seen weaker soldiers retrieve a single lost dog before. Finding you daughter shall be no difficult.”
 
The Daimio stood, “Just hope I do not make you eat those words, should my daughter come home dead.” And he left.
 
Xerxes' face curled into a angry sneer as he crushed his cup. “And I can eat you up, Dead or alive.” He said under his breath.
 
Meanwhile
 
Sakura the horse shook herself awake from her pleasant night's sleep. She slowly walked over to where he master lay a snooze on the soft grass under the shad of an apple tree, and gently tapped his side with her nose.
 
Daisuke gently awoke. “What is it, Sakura?” he asked, “What is it, girl? Is it time to leave already, but it is still early.”
Then he noticed Sakura was merely gnawing a the long green damp grass beside him. “Oh I see… it's time to eat.” Replied Daisuke, and he felt his stomach rumble. “Alright then…”
 
Hikari gently awoke to the sound of a small bonfire crackling and the smell of roasting meat. She opened her eyes to see Daisuke had prepared one of the wolves he had killed for their breakfast.
 
“Good morning sleepy head.” Daisuke said. “I hope you like wolf meat, it tastes like wild boar.” He said offering her a small piece.
 
Hikari wasn't sure. To be honest she'd much rather have an apple off the tree they had slept under last night, she never even tried wolf meat before.
 
Wait a moment… what was she truly thinking. She had always spent time think of commoner's, and what they were like. This was her chance to actually experience the real thing.
 
She accepted the meat and took a little nibble. It was a little hot, but rather tasty and succulent. “Oh, my… this is terrific.” She said.
 
Daisuke smiled. “I'm very glad you like it.”
 
As the finished their breakfast Hikari asked Daisuke, even if he lives to get his revenge, and find the answers of his past, then what would he do?
 
Daisuke had never ever in all his years on the run been asked that, and he never really thought of it before. For one thing he wouldn't really be going home, there was no home for his to go back to.
 
After his birth-town and his home land were attacked, the remains had been completely demolished and then disappeared like ghosts. There was nothing left for him to return to. “Worse… there is no one whom… I… can--” He trailed off.
 
“I beg your pardon?” asked Hikari.
 
Daisuke slumped down, and then stood with his back facing her. “Hikari…” he said. “We have only know each other for a short time, and I feel I can trust you as my friend as we travel… but--”
 
“Well… a weary warrior like me needs more than just a home, a horse and money.” He threw his fist up in the air with a serious yet depressing angered face. “I need to find my wife, Hikari! I don't know how much longer I can stand to be alone!”
 
“Daisuke.” She said sounding heart-struck at how serious he sounded, forgetting he had been on his own for most of his life. “Then why do you not just settle down somewhere?”
 
Daisuke turned and faced her. “No… I can't.” he said. “Not as long as feel the pain over both villages and all the people I have lost!”
 
He withdrew his sword and his cape began fluttering in the soft breeze.
 
“In the memory of all that I have lost, I continue to struggle forth with all I have… and I will not rest until I have found the secrets of my past, as well as make the one with a evil conscience who did this to me pay with his blood.”
 
“I care not if it is the last thing I ever do in this lifetime. I swear, in the memory of all dear to me… REVNEGE SHALL BE MINE!!!”
 
Hikari couldn't help but feel flattered at how determined this young man was, and the courage and honor he just exposed to her.
 
Could it be… was she actually… Nah… maybe not.