Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digital Persephone ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digital Persephone
By Sakura
Part 2

The other digidestined were frantic. Neither had seen or heard from Kari in days and they were running out of excuses for her parents.
“It’s pretty damn obvious what’s happened to her,” Tai said, clenching his fists. “He’s got her!” No one needed to ask who he meant, they were all aware of the former leader’s hatred of the Digimon Emperor.
“You don’t know that for sure, Tai,” Matt said placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.
“Oh? And I suppose you know what happened to my sister?”, he snapped icily.
“Tai!” T.K. said in shock. He was as worried for their friend as them, but taking it out on everyone else wasn’t helping. “Try to calm down. If the Ken’s got her, then we’ll rescue her.”
“We just have to find the jerk and kick his butt,” Yolei added, smacking her fist against her hand.
Tai sighed, forcing himself to calm down. “I know guys, I’m just worried about what he’s doing with her.”
“We’ll find them,” Matt said. Of all the others, he alone understood his friend’s concern. When he had gotten separated from them during the first fight with Devimon, T.K. was all he could think about.
“Yeah! Then we’ll kick some major butt,” Davis said enthusiastically. “Ken’s gonna pay big time if he’s hurt Kari!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You sure about this?” T.K. asked the little white cat.
Gatomon had been out searching for her missing partner when she had seen something she thought would never be. Full of shock and anger, the feline digimon had run back to the place she said she meet the digidestined.
“Yeah. I saw it with my own eyes. Somehow Ken’s got her working for him,” she said, near tears.
“Bastard!” Tai yelled, barely restrained by the older blond. “First Agumon now my sister!”
“Well get her back, Tai,” Matt said trying his best to reassure his best friend.
“Let’s get a move on!” Davis said, anxious to rescue his crush. “You said you know where Ken’s base is right?”
“Yeah.” The cat’s face fell. “It’s this way,” she said pointing, “I wish I hadn’t followed that Airdramon though.”
“Hey, we’ll get her back,” Veemon said hoping to cheer his fellow digimon up. “Right Davis?”
“You bet, buddy!”
‘Kari…’ Gatomon silently prayed that getting Kari back would be as easy as the new leader and his partner made it sound.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dammit!” the indigo haired ruler muttered.
“What’s wrong Ken?” his brown haired girlfriend asked as she came into the monitor room.
“They found us,” he said frowning at the screens.
“How? She stared at the approaching digidestined with her love. Her eyes focused on a white cat digimon. As she looked at it, a flash of her and the cat at the beach in the real world filled her head. “Ow!” she said grasping her head and closing her eyes against the sudden pain.
“Are you all right tenshi?” Ken asked, concerned.
“I-I… It’s just a headache,” she said shaking the fuzziness out of her head.
“You’d better rest then, Kari-chan.” He then began to gently usher her from the room, knowing that seeing her former partner must have triggered the return of some of her memory. ‘They’re going to ruin everything.’ He silently cursed the children who were now practically at his doorstep.
“I-I’m fine, Ken,” she protested, refusing to leave the Digimon Emperor’s side. She was confused at what she’d seen and felt safe as long as the indigo haired boy was near.
“You sure? I don’t want you pushing yourself too much. You’re still not completely over that fall.”
“Really I’m fine. Besides we’ve got other things to worry about.” She looked at the monitors again and glared at the digidestined.
The emperor sighed. She was right. The group of children invading their home was more important at the moment. “Shall we greet our ‘guests’ then, sweet?” he murmured in her ear before giving a quick peck on the cheek.
“They’re gonna pay for abandoning me,” she said icily.
Ken smiled. The digidestined of Light was so easily fooled. “Just save some for me, tenshi. I’d like to pay back dear Davis for that little stunt he pulled at the soccer match.”
Kari giggled. “Sounds like fun. Can I watch?” she said taking Ken’s arm.
“Whatever you want, my dear.” Kari smiled evilly as the two left the screen filled room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Well, well what do we have here?” the indigo haired tyrant said emerging onto a balcony, Kari at his side. “Have you come to surrender or is this a social call?”
“Kari!” Tai and Gatomon yelled upon seeing the girl hanging on Ken’s arm. Tai’s eyes bugged out when he saw what she was wearing. He would have thought his sister looked great in the Chinese style dress she had on if she weren’t practically clinging to the one who had abused his digimon.
“Give her back you creep!” Davis yelled, Veemon anxiously waiting for the signal to digivolve.
“Oh really now. You don’t think I’d give up a lovely prize like this do you?” He snaked his arm around Kari’s waist and pulled her closer to him.
Normally Kari would have enjoyed the embrace, but she couldn’t seem to get the little cat digimon out of her mind. She was somehow familiar and important to her. Images of her being at the cat’s side during battles and not so frightening times kept replaying themselves over and over in her head. She closed her eyes in an attempt to stop them and the pain from coming but it was no use.
“Kari, what did he do to you?” he brother asked. “Why did you switch sides? You saw what he did to Agumon!”
“Don’t play dumb with me, Taichi!” she spat. “You damn well know why. You abandoned me for the others. Just like Mom and Dad did when Myotismon tried to find me. Just like the other digidestined. I was all alone and hurt and you never came. None of you care!”
“Kari how can you say that?!” Gatomon asked, shocked at her partner’s words. “Can’t you see he’s brainwashed you somehow?”
“What do you mean abandoned? How?” Tai asked, shivering under his sister’s hate filled glare.
“What about the time you went to camp and found the digiworld without me? Or the time Myotismon had me? Where were you then? I was scared out of my mind and you were off having fun with your friends! Some brother you are! You left me all alone!”
“You really should have been nicer to your sister, Kamiya-kun,” Ken said, smirking. “Poor thing was practically starved for affection when I found her.” He gently stroked her hair as she leaned against him for support, the contradicting images of Tai and the others protecting her against Myotismon running wildly around in her mind.
“Get your hands offa her!” Tai and Davis yelled, both tightly restrained by Matt and T.K.
“Kari we’re your friends!” the younger blond said. “Don’t you remember us?”
“Some friends,” the brown haired girl spat, “If you cared so much, then why didn’t you come help when I fell off that cliff?”
“It was your idea to split up and look for Ken’s base!” Yolei said, angry at both Ken for turning her against them and Kari for being so stupid as to believe the evil boy. “How the hell were we supposed to know what happened?! Why didn’t you tell us she was hurt Gatomon?”
“We got separated,” the cat digimon said, fighting against tears. “Don’t you remember that?” she said to the girl above them, “We all looked for you. Especially me and Tai.”
“She’s telling the truth,” Cody said finally deciding to speak. “We couldn’t locate you right away because Ken’s been blocking the signals of our digivices.”
“Kari, please you’ve got to remember,” pleaded the little white cat. “Remember all the good times we’ve had together? Remember how you and I met? I tried to stop Myotismon from finding out who you were. I was right there by your side protecting you. Remember that?”
Strange enough, she did. She remembered how scared she was standing in front of the then gigantic vampire digimon, Demidevimon hovering above her and smirking. The feline digimon was dangling from Myotismon’s grasp, unable to look at her. She remembered her lying to him and revealing the truth after a few threats to Kari’s safety. She then remembered the cat crying as her friend Wizardmon lay dying from a blast meant for her.
“Ga-Gatomon?” the girl said, shaking her head, confused.
“Kari-chan,” Ken said facing her and blocking her view of the cat digimon, “I think this may be a bit too much for you. You’re not ready to face them yet. You’re not well, pet. Why don’t you go back inside and get some rest. I’ll deal with your ‘friends’ for you.” He placed his hands on her shoulders and started to gently turn her around.
“Kari! I’m sorry for whatever it is you think I’ve done!” Tai shouted, “Please Kari! I’m your brother! Sisters shouldn’t hate their brothers no matter how much of a jerk they are!”
“Kari, please remember me. I’m your best friend. You said so, remember?” Tears flowed from both the human boy and the digimon’s eyes. “Kari!”
The brown haired girl paused in mid-step. “My best friend…” she murmured.
“Lies, tenshi,” Ken whispered. “Do you really think they care? They only came to get you back because they need your digimon’s power to destroy the good we’ve been doing. They’re the ones who think the digiworld would be better off without us. Remember?” he then said so the others could hear. “And who knows? They probably didn’t even know you were here.”
“For God’s sake Kari! You’ve gotta listen to us! He’s the one who’s been lying!” Davis yelled. The Digimon Emperor turned then scowled at him. The auburn haired boy glared back, in spite of the uneasiness he felt under his rival’s gaze.
“We knew,” Gatomon said. “I saw you and Kari capturing those Usamon. If it weren’t for me, the others would have wandered the whole digiworld for you Kari.”
“Do you really believe that, cat?” Ken asked the feline digimon. “You’ve no idea how easily humans can be distracted.”
Gatomon hissed at the indigo haired boy smirking above, wishing she could scratch that annoying smirk right off his face. “I’m sorry you think we abandoned you Kari,” she said, “but we’re here for you now. I was so worried about you. I missed you so much. Don’t do this to us. Please come back.”
Kari felt something wet on her cheek and realized she was crying. “Gatomon.” She pushed Ken aside, startling him. “I-I’m so sorry!” She then ran to the edge of the balcony and leapt over the railing.
“No!” Ken grabbed for her, but only managed to snare one of her slipper shoes before the girl fell.
“Kari!” they all yelled, humans and digimon alike.
In a flash, a ringed Leomon guard caught the girl before she hit the ground. “Bring her inside,” commanded the Digimon Emperor. “You’ll regret this digidestined!”
“Matte!” Kari said to enslaved digimon, “Put me down.”
Since he was one of the digimon she had helped capture, the Leomon obeyed, gently placing her on the ground. She timidly strode over to her friends.
“Kari! What are you doing?!” Ken yelled from above.
“Ken, I’m sorry, but I have to talk to them,” she replied.
“Kari-chan, they’ll only tell you more lies. They’ll force you to leave me.” A worried look came over his face as she continued to approach the other digidestined. True he had been using her, but he had also come to love her as well. The thought of losing Kari and being alone again scared him. Him – the Digimon Emperor was scared for the first time in years.
“Please, Ken-chan. I need to do this. I keep seeing all these things in my head and I’m having trouble knowing what’s real or not anymore.”
“Kari, I-I love you,” he said suddenly shy, “No matter what they may say, that’s real.” He looked at his love sadly. He knew this would have eventually happened. Kari’s memory was fighting to return whether he wanted it to or not. And when it did, he would most definitely lose her.
Kari looked back at him, pleadingly. He sighed, unable to deny her. “All right,” he said, giving in. “But be careful.” He then looked toward the Leomon. “Watch them,” he ordered. “If they try anything, you know what to do.” With that, the Digimon Emperor went back inside the fortress, not wanting any of them to see the tears welling up in his eyes.
“Kari?” Tai asked unsure as to what was going on.
“I can’t remember much Tai, but I think you’re right. I shouldn’t hate you, even if you are a jerk.”
Her brother let out a sigh of relief then gave her the biggest bear hug in her life. “I’m so glad you’re all right,” he said trying to wipe away some of their tears. “You’ve no idea how worried we all were.”
“Does this mean you’re on our side again?” Davis asked hopefully.
“I’m not sure about this, but I think I remember seeing you there with me when Myotismon captured me, Gatomon,” she said shyly turning to the cat digimon.
“It’s true, Kari,” she said. “He asked if you with the eighth digidestined and I said you weren’t, but he tricked me. He said that if you weren’t then I wouldn’t care if he hurt you. I couldn’t help myself when I tried to protect you. Do you remember that?”
“I remember being scared, but the rest is all fuzzy.”
“It’s ok,” T.K. said placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder, “We were just worried about you Kari. He didn’t hurt you did he?”
The brown haired girl frowned. “Why would Ken hurt me? I’m his girlfriend and he loves me. He’s always so gentle to me.” She then blushed. “A-and I love him.”
Jaws dropped at Kari’s admission.
“There’s no way he can love you, Kari,” Tai said, before Davis could. “He’s just using you so he can hurt us.”
The sound of silk covered flesh hitting naked skin resounded through the air. “Don’t you ever say that again!” Kari yelled as her brother winced and held a hand to his bruised cheek. “Ken’s never done anything bad to me and he never makes me do anything I don’t want to. He’s the most kind and gentle person I know. He only acts that way because it’s the only way he can make the digimon understand.”
“Kari, it’s wrong,” Tai said inwardly wincing at what lies the emperor had probably been feeding his sister.
“To you maybe, but Ken only wants the best for this world. The rest of the digimon just don’t want to believe we’re here to help so we have to put those spires up and put those rings on them. Do you really think he wants to?”
“Can’t you talk him out of it?” T.K. asked. “If he loves you so much, then maybe he’d listen to you.”
The digidestined of Light looked down, ashamed at what she’d been doing. “I’ll try,” she said.
“Great!” Davis said happily, though he had been deeply hurt by Kari’s admission of loving Ken. “You go ahead and talk to him and we’ll meet you at the nearest digiport.”
“I’m staying. Sorry, Davis.”
“What?!” Tai sputtered. Once again they were stunned at what their fellow digidestined said.
“Ken needs me and I’m just not ready to go back yet.”
“But Kari,” Tai stared.
“I need to sort things out Tai. I don’t even know who I really am anymore.”
“I’ll stay around and keep an eye on her,” Gatomon said, not wanting to be parted from her best friend again.
“I don’t know about this,” Tai said, not fully reassured.
“I’m staying whether you like it or not, Taichi. Ken needs to know I love him and I’m not going to abandon him like…” She stopped herself from finishing. Tai winced while Matt placed a hand on his shoulder.
Davis looked like he was about to cry and Kari felt a pang of guilt. “I’m sorry Davis, but I just don’t feel the same. I think I might have liked you as a friend though.”
“It’s ok, Kari. I kinda never really expected you to like me anyway. I’m glad we’re still friends though.” He gave a weak smile. “After all, I’m just a nobody, not a genius like Ken.”
“You’re not a nobody,” Kari said placing a hand on the auburn haired boy’s shoulder. “You’ve got other friends don’t you?”
Davis nodded. “Yeah I guess.”
“Cheer up Davis, I bet you’ll be drooling over some other girl real soon.”
‘Or a guy,’ Matt though with a smirk as he watched his younger brother place his hands on Davis’ shoulders. He knew the looks T.K. had been giving their redheaded leader lately. He’d been looking at Tai the same way not too long ago himself.
“Let’s go home, Davis,” the younger blond said fighting the urge to hold him in his arms. “Kari needs to find herself again. Good luck Kari. I hope we’ll see you soon.”
Kari smiled sadly. “I’m sorry it had to turn out like this. You guys seem really nice, but I…”
“I know,” Matt said. “I had similar problems when Cherrymon duped me. I hope you figure things out soon, for all our sakes. Take care Kari.”
“You too… Matt?” The older blond nodded. “I’m sorry Tai, but I have to do this.”
Her brother stood there silently. He nodded, his eyes fixed to the ground. “Be careful. I don’t want you to get hurt,” he said, “Come home soon, ‘k?”
“Tai…”
“You’d better head back in before Ken sends a herd of Tyrannomon or something after you,” Yolei said winking though she was just as worried about Kari as the rest.
“Don’t worry Tai. I’ll be with her, remember?” Gatomon called as she followed her partner back into their enemy’s base.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inside the monitor room, Ken let out a sigh of relief as he watched the brown haired girl turn from her friends and walk back into the fortress with the white cat.
“Thank you, tenshi,” he whispered, glad Kari hadn’t decided to leave him for the others.
“I-Is Kari going to stay with us then?” Wormmon asked, half happy that Ken finally had a friend who cared and half sad that Kari hadn’t gone with the others. The little caterpillar digimon was certain the girl’s parents were worrying about her.
Ken smiled. “Go see if we have any room for the cat. It has to be a nice room, I don’t want to risk angering my pet.”
“Yes, Ken,” Wormmon said leaving in search of a room for Gatomon.
Ken laughed triumphantly. ‘She’s all mine now. No one’s ever going to take her from me!’ The Digimon Emperor then rose and went to greet his lover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whatcha think minna? Should I end here or go on? If I get enough reviews, I just might be persuaded to write another part. ^_^