Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ Sekata’s Identity Crisis ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong are copyright to Toei animation / Saban entertainment. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekata's Identity Crisis

By Gregory Stephen/nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"Geez, where are those two?" Gargoylemon wondered, circling the area for the fifth time.

It hadn't helped that his mechanic was located on the outskirts of town and that he was running late. Now, he'd returned to find Sekata and Zoe nowhere in sight.

"Speaking of them, where's the townsfolk for that matter? I know it's pretty quite at night, but not as much as this." Gargoylemon shook his head. "Something's wrong...perhaps I should ask around."

Down below, he spotted a building marked 'Traveler's Guild'.

"Those two had better not be doing something stupid and making me worry like this." Gargoylemon said to himself as he knocked on the door. "Damn, I'm starting to sound like Magnamon."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoe! Zoe! It's me!

No matter how hard he tried, Sekata couldn't form the words in his mouth. All that was coming out was barks and growls.

And that wasn't doing anything to convince the advancing group of Digimon of his true identity.

"Attack!" Aero V-dramon ordered.

Sekata suddenly found himself pelted by various attacks, including Zoe's X-laser and Aero V-dramon's V-Wing Blade.

Howling in pain, Sekata raised his arms to block.

Stop it! Please! I'm innocent!

Even if he could've said it out, he doubted it would've been of much help to him. Sekata resisted all temptation to fight back. He didn't want to hurt these Digimon, and he especially didn't want to hurt Zoe. These Digimon were just doing what they felt was right…and unfortunately, what they saw him as was the monster that had been terrorizing towns and villages.

Suddenly, Sekata found himself very hot. Looking down, he was startled to find flames had erupted from his own body. Even unconsciously, he was preparing to attack.

NO! NO! His mind screamed.

However, his body reacted differently.

With a thunderous roar, his body was engulfed by a huge column of flames. This was Vritramon's Flame Storm attack, which sent half of the attacking Digimon fleeing in panic.

Pain filled part Sekata's mind. That was his own at least, the pain of knowing what he was about to do. But the other half of his mind was like a new part of himself. This part was filled with rage and bloodlust. It desired to kill, to destroy.

NO! Get out of my mind!! NNNOOOOO!

However, Sekata could do nothing to stop himself. He set a large part of the forest ablaze, sending the remaining Digimon fleeing or burning them badly. Screams rang out in all directions.

Somewhere in the midst of that, he managed to catch Zoe diving into the lake. At least she would be safe for now.

Other than that, everything was a blur.

When those terrifying moments were finally over, Sekata found himself staring at a scene of fiery destruction. Trees and plants were burning everywhere. The dead and wounded bodies of those not so lucky as to escape his wrath lay scattered around.

A new instinct hit his mind. To reap the rewards of his victory. The desire was simply too great to resist and Sekata approached the nearest body.

It broke up into a cloud of data bits, which formed a steady stream flowing into his jaws.

Silently, Sekata was screaming in horror. But he was powerless to stop to instincts of his own body. The thing he desperately wanted to do was close his eyes. But that wouldn't help shut out the screams.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoe lifted her head out of the water, gasping for breath. Glancing around, she saw much of the forest in flames.

There was a sudden snarl and she was abruptly yanked out of the water. Vritramon had his claw around her neck and Zoe found herself too frightened to do anything but stare up into his blood-red eyes.

Vritramon seemed to just stare right back at her. Even while she was being choked, Zoe could still feel his hand vibrating. It was difficult to make out what was on his mind at all.

Then, just as suddenly, he dropped her and ran, spreading his wings and flying off into the night with a long howl.

Zoe just sat there and stared at his disappearing shape, rubbing her sore neck. Vritramon had been in a perfect position to finish her off, but he hadn't.

But why?

"Are you all right?" Aero V-dramon asked, walking over. "You really scared me there."

"I know."

"But what did you do to make him run off like that?"

"I didn't do anything." Zoe shook her head. "He just ran by himself."

"Vritramon didn't hesitate in absorbing the data of the others." Aero V-dramon said. "But he actually seemed rather…I dunno…freaked when he looked at you."

"The way he stared…was almost as if he knew me. I don't mean just from the time he saw me, but something deeper than that…"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Janet yawned, leaning back against the wall. As large as she was in her MegaloGrowmon form, it was hard enough to get into a good sleeping position. All the other metallic add-ons at her back didn't help either.

As she lay back, her tail brushed against a nearby tree, shaking it.

"Whoa! Whoa! Watch it you big dummy!" A voice yelled angrily.

"What? Steve, that you?"

"Yeah." Steve waved from between the branches.

"What are you doing in there?"

"What does it look like?! I'm hiding from Sagittarimon and Yasyamon! Those two are trying to kill me!!"

"Whatever happened to the athletic Steve?"

"There's a difference between being fit and being over worked." Steve replied. "Now, stop talking to me before…"

"Hey guys!" Raindramon was casually jogging around the bend.

Steve gave him a wave and breathed a sigh of relief once the armor Digimon was gone.

"Whew, that was close." He gasped, wiping his forehead.

"Raindramon, have you seen Steve around?" Came Sagittarimon's voice from around the corner.

"Sure! He was hiding up that tree talking to Jan!"

"OH CRAP!" Steve slapped his head. "I've got to get out of here!"

The Flamedramon dropped to the ground and was about to start running when Jan lifted a foot and stomped him to the ground.

"JAN! Let me go!" Steve cried, desperately trying to wiggle out from under the dinosaur's foot.

Janet only snickered and turned her head.

"Hey boys! Your run away's right here!"

"JJJJJJJJJJJJJAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!! NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sekata landed and dropped to his knees, sick to his stomach.

He didn't know how long he'd been flying for, or in what direction. He'd just wanted go get as far away as possible from that grisly scene he himself had committed.

He'd not only killed a bunch of Digimon, but consumed their data as well. Some had still been alive and screaming as he'd cannibalized them.

But what really made him sick was that he'd enjoyed it. He'd enjoyed the kills and the power they'd given him. And he wanted more…

"NNNNNOOOO!!!" Sekata smacked his head into a tree, trying to shake off the thoughts. "NO! NO! I WON'T PLAY BY YOUR RULES!!!"

Going into a frenzy, he charged, smashing everything in his way until he hit a stone wall, the base of a mountain, and stopped.

Leaning his head against the wall, he breathed in hard and tried his best to calm his already greatly agitated nerves.

"My…my voice…" Sekata put a claw to his throat. "I…I can talk now. But how?"

"It's because I let you."

Sekata felt a hot breath at the back of his neck and spun round to face a terrifying, dragon-like face. Screaming, he fell backwards and crawled away as the huge creature eyed him in amusement.

Even through it stood on all fours, Sekata standing up would've only brought him to its face level. It was clad in red armor that looked very similar to his own. It was almost like a version of Vritramon on four legs. Following the similarities were the fiery wings and the Wargreymon-style head and helmet. A golden mane sprouted from beneath the helmet, which waved in the slight breeze.

The creature's tail swung about as its glowing blue eyes watched Sekata's every move.

"Who…what are you?" Sekata managed.

"I am AncientGreymon of the Warrior 10." He growled.

"W…What do you want with me?"

"You have something that belongs to me. My Spirit."

"Your…Spirit?" Sekata looked down at himself. "Is that why I…I look so much like you?"

"My Spirit…"

"All right already!" Sekata yelled, waving his arms. "Just tell me how I get it off me!"

"It comes off…with your head…"

"My WHAT?!"

Sekata barely leapt out of the way in time as AncientGreymon lunged at him.

"You must be kidding!!!"

The only response he got was another attack from AncientGreymon.

"Guuarrgghh!" Sekata stumbled back, clutching his slashed left shoulder. "Hey! What did I ever do to deserve this?!"

"Oh, nothing really. You were just unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"I won't die without a fight!" Sekata roared, bring up his arm mounted weapons. " Corona Blaster!"

AncientGreymon turned to his side and blocked the energy bursts with his wing and forearms. He then swung his tail, catching Sekata at the side of his head and knocking him into the side of the rocky hill.

"Is that the best you can do, human?" The ancient Digimon taunted. "You make pathetic use of my Spirit!"

"I…wait! How did you know that?"

"I know all about you, Sekata. The Spirit connects us, and I can look into your mind with it. Hmmm…interesting memories you have." AncientGreymon laughed. "Let's have a look, now shall we?"

"NO! Leave my head alone!"

Too late, Sekata found himself engulfed by a bright light. When it cleared, he realized he was looking at a very familiar scene.

It was his Aikido dojo. And there was a class going on. Sekata saw himself, his human self, there as well. This was the day before he'd entered the Digital World.

"You're trying too hard. Relax and don't tense yourself up." His Sensei had told him on that day. "In an actual situation, you'll have to learn to do that."

"GGAARGGHHH!!! GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!" Sekata yelled, shaking the vision away.

He dropped down to his hands and knees, filled with mixed emotions. After being away from home for so long, those scenes had just stirred up some feelings he couldn't describe. The homesickness and feelings for the life he'd left behind.

"Soon, your body and soul will belong to me. It's only a matter of time…"

"FLAME STORM!" Fire burst out and engulfed Sekata's body as he unleashed Vritramon's attack. He spun around, sending the flames in random directions, hoping to hit something.

When he stopped to look around, all he saw was a burning forest around him. AncientGreymon was nowhere in sight.

"W…What?!"

"Look! The fires!"

"Vritramon must be nearby! Let's put and end to that beast!"

Several more voices rang out from nearby.

"Oh no…" Sekata realized he'd get the blame for setting the forest ablaze, yet another sin onto his list. It would be even harder to clear his name.

Was this what AncientGreymon wanted?

"There he is!"

Sekata dodged a series of energy blasts and various attacks being thrown at him.

A net was thrown over him, getting his arms and wings entangled as he stumbled. Sekata roared in pain as a spear was thrust into his shoulder. In retaliation, he grabbed the weapon and pulled, throwing its holder off. He snapped the spear and yanked it out of his shoulder.

Channeling his inner fires around his body, Sekata burnt the net off him. That frightened the attacking Digimon enough to send them fleeing.

Somehow, Sekata managed to suppress the instinct to attack and instead channeled it into running away as fast as his body would move.

As he ran, Sekata could swear he'd heard AncientGreymon's voice laughing at him.

Run all you wish, my prey. All the more fun hunting you down…

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoe stood off to the side, watching Aero V-dramon and his group talking to several Digimon. Vritramon had attacked again, leaving this area burning as well.

"It was strange." A Birdramon was saying. "Like he was fighting some invisible enemy. He was yelling like crazy and firing everywhere, but he didn't really seem to attack us at all, until we did so first."

Zoe had been on the verge of dosing off, but that statement caught her attention.

Hmmm…

Again, she thought back to the look Vritramon had given her in the earlier battle.

"Could it be?" She wondered, bringing up her Digivice. "OK, come on Digivice, you know what I want you to do."

The screen of the Digivice flashed, and then a compass arrow lit up. Zoe only hoped it would show her to the correct thing.

As quietly as she could, she left the group, spreading her white wings and flying off into the dark skies.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"God…he just won't leave me alone." Sekata panted.

If his eyes could look bloodshot, they certainly would now. It was a living nightmare, being haunted by the voice of the ancient Digimon. Sekata had done everything he could: fighting, running, trying to block out the sounds.

AncientGreymon would appear from time to time, but mysteriously disappear and leave him to take the blame for another scene of destruction.

In addition to that, he was being hunted by every Digimon within 10 miles. It wasn't just the fact, but the abuse they'd yelled out to him as well. Quotes along the line of 'monster', 'beast', 'vile creature'.

He was battered and bruised in too many places to count, thanks to all the Digimon attacking him.

It was unnerving, frustrating and maddening to say the least.

"If this keeps up…I'm going to lose whatever's left of my sanity." He gasped. "I'm exhausted, drained, hungry…need to kill…need to…AARRRGGHHH!"

Sekata smashed his head into a pile of rocks.

Why don't I…just give in…I can't…fight this any longer…

Voices…his ears had just picked them up.

Those fools! They're still coming for me! I'll…I'll kill them all!!!

Adrenaline pumping into his blood, he charged. The entire line of soldiers screamed in panic as he tore through their lines with his claws. The soldiers scattered, some trampling their comrades in the confusion.

He took advantage of that, skewering one with his claws and blowing another apart with his blasters.

"Defend yourselves!" A voice shouted.

Sekata lifted a claw to ward off the shots that were coming at him. Snarling, he grabbed the closest V-dramon and threw him into his comrades.

Another V-dramon leapt into him from behind. Sekata bent forward, throwing it off and snatching it in mid air. The unfortunate Digimon was beheaded before he even had a chance to scream.

"V-Wing Blade!"

The explosion sent Sekata flying backward, rolling head over heels into a clearing. Roaring, he pulled himself up. Right now, he didn't care…he had to vent his frustration…had to take out in anger, his fury…by killing everything in sight.

Sekata had finally submitted to the vicious instincts. He glared around at all his adversaries, his vision blood red in anticipation.

"Aero V-dramon! Hold on! Stop the troops from attacking!" A lighter voice called.

Another Digimon had appeared. This one ran up to what seemed to be the leaders of his opponent's warriors.

"What?! But we've got him this…"

"Just do it! And leave him to me."

"But…"

"NOW!"

"Urgh!" The commander gasped as the female grabbed him by the throat. "All right. Troops, hold your fire!"

"Thank you." The female dropped him and turned towards Vritramon.

With a determined look on her face, she began to approach.

"You're a very brave girl to want to die first." Vritramon growled.

"That's because I know I won't…Sekata."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoe knew she was playing a dangerous game. She was working on instinct, and on a hunch.

But seeing Vritramon hesitate a little brought more confidence into herself.

"I…I…you…RRRRAAARRR!"

Zoe rolled away as Vritramon charged, slamming down onto the spot she'd been standing on seconds ago.

"Sekata! I know you're in there! It's me, Zoe!" Zoe ducked under another swing and ran behind Vritramon. "Whatever's got you, I know you can fight it!"

Vritramon brought up his arm mounted blasters and sent Zoe into a leaping frenzy to avoid his shots. She gasped as one of the shots got her in the right thigh.

"Sekata! You're stronger than this! You can pull through!" Zoe continued. "UUrrghh!"

Vritramon rammed her to the ground.

"Fight it! Come back to us…come back to me!"

Vritramon kneed her in the stomach and drove an uppercut into the bottom of her chin. Zoe hit the ground hard, on her back, and cried out as Vritramon stomped a leg onto her.

Aero V-dramon seemed tense, desperate to do something. Zoe held her hand up, telling him to wait.

"Sekata…argh!"

Zoe struggled as Vritramon grabbed her around the neck, cutting off her air supply. She froze as the barrel on Vritramon's blaster was jabbed right into her snout.

"This time…I'm know you won't." Zoe managed. "You won't kill…the one who loves you!"

Vritramon halted instantaneously. His eyes continued to stare as his arm trembled. In those moments, it was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. Zoe's back suddenly hit the ground as Vritramon dropped her.

"Z…Z…Zoe…" He staggered, his entire body shaking.

Zoe could feel it though his leg, which she struggled to pull herself out under from. Vritramon dropped to one knee as Zoe freed herself.

"Z…Zoe…"

Zoe threw her arms around his shoulders, and gave him a kiss. Vritramon moved his head and roared with all his might, shaking violently. Zoe held on for those few tense seconds until she felt his movements slowing, and then finally coming to a stop.

"Zoe…Zoe…you're…"

"Yes. Sekata, I'm here."

Zoe saw the red coloring in his eyes fade and turn instead to a light blue.

"I almost…I…RRRAARGGHHH!"

"Sekata!"

Sekata let go of Zoe and ran over to the side, where he proceeded to whack his head against another pile of rocks. He went down onto his hands and knees after the rocks had been reduced to pebbles.

Zoe ran over to him and hugged him. Tears were running down his face and onto her arms. And that did look very odd, considering Sekata's Vritramon form.

"It's all right, I'm here for you. I'll always be."

"Zoe…thanks…" Sekata looked up.

Behind them, Aero V-dramon smiled, and silently gestured for the others to leave.

"Love finds a way." He spoke softly. "I'll be waiting nearby. Just give me a call once you're done."

"Thanks for everything Aero V-dramon." Zoe nodded.

"No, you were the real hero today." He said, before departing.

Hahaha…you are indeed a fascinating creature.

"Huh?" Sekata gasped, hearing the voice in his mind.

Congratulations on being the first to keep their mind intact for this long.

Sekata looked down at the puddle of his tears in the wet grass to see AncientGreymon's image.

I think I'll let you keep my Spirit for now. But remember, you'll always be connected to me. I'll be back for you one day…and then I'll kill you. Train hard until that time, I want a satisfying victory, not an easy one.

"That isn't very reassuring." Sekata muttered.

In life, things seldom are, human. Well, until then…

The image faded.

"Hey! Wait!"

"Sekata, who are you talking to?" Zoe asked.

"AncientGreymon. Didn't you see him sometime? In those sites I was at?"

"AncientGreymon of the Warrior 10? But he's been dead for thousands of years."

"What?"

"And about those areas, you were the only one spotted. The reports said you were attacking thin air."

"Impossible…I…I physically felt him when he attacked me." Sekata insisted. "But then, who have I been talking to all this time?"

"We can puzzle over that once we've had some rest." Zoe decided, standing up and offering a claw.

"Guess you're right." Sekata accepted the hand. "So, was I scary?"

"Oh sure, the 'big scary' dragon is crying like a baby." Zoe laughed, wiping his tears away.

"Hey!"

"Hahaha…at least you won't be complaining about looking cute."

"Zoe, I have to ask…" Sekata turned towards her. "Was it true when you said…that…you…"

"AHEM! Sorry folks, but I think we should get going!" Aero V-dramon waved. "It'll be safer to discuss this back in town."

"Oh…yeah." The pair nodded simultaneously.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Do you think it's really a good idea bringing me back here?" Sekata asked. "Considering…well, the obvious?"

"I got my troops to spread the word that we wouldn't have to worry about Vritramon anymore." Aero V-dramon replied. "Since there haven't been many Digimon who've gotten close enough for a good look, I'm playing on the bet that they won't recognize you."

"Hopefully." Zoe added in, taking note of the few townsfolk around. One or two were giving them odd glances, however no one had started making a fuss…yet.

"Here, this is where I normally hang out." Aero V-dramon pushed open a door and brought the pair into a bar. This one had been designed with larger Digimon in mind and was currently packed.

Heads turned as the trio entered, but no one said anything out loud. There was a lot of murmuring and Sekata nervously gazed around.

It was the bartender, an Apemon, who finally approached him.

"Hey, aren't you the Legendary Warrior, Vritramon?"

There was a sudden and complete silence throughout the bar. Zoe and Aero V-dramon had the 'Oh-oh!' looks on their faces.

Sekata cleared his throat.

"Nah, I'm BurningGreymon. I've been told I look a lot like Vritramon through."

"But what's the difference?"

Zoe and Aero V-dramon cringed. Sekata however, put on a grin.

"Well, Vritramon's Japanese and I'm from the American Dub."

The entire bar burst out laughing.

"Hahaha! That's a good one pal." The bartender said, slapping Sekata's back. "Here, this one's on me!"

He placed a large bottle of Sake on the table. (And we're talking about the large kind of jugs, like Auron's in Final Fantasy 10.)

"Enjoy your stay here!"

"Thanks."

Zoe and Aero V-dramon finally breathed out as the rest of the crowd went back to their own business.

"That was close." Zoe whispered. "But how did you know?"

"Someone on the Internet told me that once." Sekata replied. "But who cares? It fooled them after all."

"Hmmm…looks like some of the bar girls are winking at me." Aero V-dramon cocked his head to one side. "I think I'll leave you two alone for a while."

The blue dragon winked as he left the table.

"Hey, you know Gargoylemon is going to be searching like crazy for us." Zoe commented. "It's like, what 4 am ?"

"I hate to say it, but I really can't be bothered." Sekata muttered. "This has been the worst night of my life. I'm utterly exhausted, but I'm just in no mood for sleeping."

"Somehow, I feel this won't be the last."

"Yeah…" He nodded. His eyes then fell upon the bottle of Sake. "Hmmm…"

"Sekata, aren't you under aged for that?"

"We're Digimon now. And they don't care!" Sekata grabbed the bottle and took a gulp. "It's pretty good! Try some."

"No thanks."

"Come on, when is a dragon like you such a wimp?"

"A WHAT?!" Zoe slammed her claws down on the table, causing several heads to turn in their direction. "All right, let's have a contest!"

"You're on!"

Another bottle was tossed to her.

"On three…" Sekata growled.

"THREE!"

The crowd began cheering as the pair started gulping down their drinks. Over on the other side, Aero V-dramon shook his head as he sipped from his own jug.

"Remember people, don't try this at home!"