Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Taking Over Me ❯ Chapter 4

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Taking Over Me

Chapter 4

By Sailor Red

*~*~*~*~*~*~

"I love you Tai . . . You're my best friend."

Taichi played the words over and over again in his head. He had indeed said something similar to Yamato when he had left for Ireland, and he remembered why he had said it then. When Yamato had given him that necklace, his heart had pounded, and he couldn't tear himself away from the sapphire eyes of his best friend. In that instant, he felt more for his friend than he thought he should have at the time. It scared him, so he didn't let himself leave his statement at "I love you." He had to add the best friend bit. Now Yamato had done the same thing, he had uttered the same words . . . but did it mean the same thing Taichi had meant when he'd said it to Yamato, those five long years ago?

"So, what happened?" Hikari asked her brother. The boy was sitting on the couch looking to be deep in thought. Taichi looked up at Hikari and sighed, then told her what had happened in between Yamato and himself. Hikari looked at him with wide eyes as he finished, not quite knowing what to say.

"What's with that look?" Hikari jumped involuntarily. She sighed.

"Tai . . . can I ask you something, and you promise not to get mad?" Taichi nodded.

"Yeah, what's up?" The young woman shifted uneasily. This wasn't exactly an easy thing to be talking to her brother about. She gulped.

"Are you . . . I mean, do you . . ." Taichi looked at his sister in bewilderment. This had to be important. Hikari was rarely nervous around him. Her eyes met to reach his and he froze. Fear. She was scared. This was indeed important, and suddenly, Taichi wasn't so sure he was ready for whatever she was about to ask him.

"Taichi . . ." she tried again, and took a deep breath. "Tai, are you in love with Matt?"

Taichi's world stopped, his heart beating madly. Where did that come from? Why did she ask him that?

How would he answer?

He couldn't. Instead, he numbly got off of the couch and walked to his room, shutting the door. He didn't register Hikari calling out to him, he didn't answer her when she knocked on the door, apologizing. He simply plopped into his bed and stared at the ceiling, the question asking itself over and over in his head.

"Tai, are you in love with Matt?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Yamato stirred the stew he was cooking, deep in thought. Why had he said what he said? Why did he cover it up with "You're my best friend."?

He knew the answer to the second question. He was scared. No, scared wasn't the word for it. He was positively terrified of losing the only person who ever truly meant anything to him. It just seemed easier to blurt out the truth now. Now he knew that Taichi wouldn't hate him for being gay . . . half the weight of his confession had been pulled off his shoulders. He wanted to tell Taichi all. Part of him told him to do it. The other part held him down and barraged him with all the reasons why telling the other boy the truth would be a bad thing. Taichi would have to be the one to tell him . . . if he loved . . .

"Yamato! I'm home!" Yamato dropped the spoon into the soup and grabbed a pair of tongs to pull it out. His father looked at him questioningly. "What, did I scare you or something?" Yamato looked towards the man and frowned.

"Just thinking."

"You think far too much for a guy your age. Shouldn't you be living it up, partying with your friends?" Yamato laughed.

"I think you've got me confused with Tai, dad." The older man smiled at his son.

"Speaking of Taichi, did you guys ever have a welcome home party for him?" Yamato's eyes widened. How could they forget! "I'll take that as a 'no.' Look, get your friends together and have it here. Just don't disturb the neighbors." Yamato's father hung up his coat and sat down. "So when's dinner?"

"It's all set. Are you sure I can have a party here?"

"I wouldn't have said so if I didn't mean it. Just stay low on the alcohol." Yamato laughed.

"Again, you're confusing me with . . ."

"You're really . . . fond . . . of Taichi, aren't you son?" Yamato nearly dropped the pot, but steadied himself and placed it on its holder. He blushed. Why'd his father ask that?

"Y-yeah . . . he's my best . . ."

"That's not what I'm talking about Matt, and you know it. You can tell me, you know." Yamato locked eyes with his fathers, which were glittering. Would he feel better to tell his father? "Matt?"

"I-I love him, dad." Mr. Ishida smiled broadly and nodded.

"See, that wasn't so hard, was it? I'm sure he loves you too." Yamato studied the stew he was pouring into bowls.

"I haven't told him."

"Why not?" The blonde haired boy brought dinner to the table his father was sitting. He sighed.

"I can't. I can't risk our friendship on . . ."

"How will it hurt your friendship, Matt? You're telling your friend you love him. In a worst-case scenario, he'll just ask to stay friends. He's not going to be mad at you for you loving him!"

"Whatever." Mr. Ishida sighed. Oh well. This conversation was over. At least he had tried.

"Matt . . . one more thing. . . how long is Taichi going to be in Japan? Is he spending his whole year off here, or is he just spending a couple of months?" Yamato's eyes widened and his heart fell.

"I-I don't know. . ." Mr. Ishida frowned. He could practically see his son's heart breaking.

"Look Matt, I usually don't tell you what to do, but I'm going to tell you this. Tell Taichi how you feel. Otherwise you're going to be lonely and pining for him for the rest of your life." With that, Yamato's dad got up, threw his dish in the sink and went to his room, leaving Yamato staring at him with wide eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Taichi woke to thunder sounding outside. He didn't know when he had fallen asleep, but he had, and was quite shocked that he could. The memory of Hikari's question came to him full force, and he sat up in bed with a jolt.

For some reason, he was finding it hard to believe that he had actually been shocked with that question. He had been asking himself the same thing for the past five years. He definitely cared for Yamato. He had for as long as he had known the man. He was his best friend.

Was he more? Was that what his heart was trying to tell him?

Every time he saw Yamato, his heart would skip a beat. He would find himself watching the blonde as he walked, his hands crammed into his pockets, his hair waving in the wind. He would worry about him constantly. Yamato was never off of his mind. There were little things that would remind him when he would forget for even the shortest moment. His smile . . . his beautiful smile . . . it could wipe away everything. Taichi smiled just picturing it.

Was he in love with Yamato?

Damn straight he was.

He'd have to tell him soon. Now that he had figured it out, he couldn't wait to. He just needed the right time. He had to wait. There was just one thing getting in his way, one tiny detail that had him worried. What if Yamato wasn't gay?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

"Why in god's name haven't you told him?!" Hikari yelled over the phone. Yamato, on the other end, shook his head.

"It's not that easy!" Hikari sighed.

"You told your dad pretty easily! He's got his head on straight. He told you the same thing I've been telling you!" Yamato laughed at that comment.

"You sound so sure of yourself." Yamato continued laughing and Hikari took the phone off of her ear and glared at it. This was it. It was time to play dirty.

"I asked Taichi if he loved you." Hikari could hear Yamato drop the phone. She giggled hysterically. She waited patiently as she heard Yamato fumbling around for the apparatus.

"You - did - WHAT?!" Yamato had never been more scared or angry in his life. "How could you do that, Kari? What if he . . ." Yamato took a deep breath. "What did he say?" Hikari smiled evilly.

"That's for me to know and you to find out." Yamato growled.

"That is so immature! Tell me!"

"Maybe you'll find out at the party." With that, Hikari hung up.

Yamato glared at the phone he was holding, the dial tone ringing in his ears. Shit! Why was she doing this? What was she talking about? What was that woman planning?

The welcome home party was in three days. He had planned it with Hikari before she had started her rant. She would be inviting everyone; Yamato was in charge of setting up the house. Yamato wasn't sure he wanted to have this party, now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Hikari smiled to herself as she put the phone back on its cradle. She'd invited everyone; all was set. Now all she had to do was get the games together, and the master plan in order. She wouldn't have to worry about keeping everyone's secrets anymore. They were all going to come out in a couple of days. She just had to make sure that everything was perfect. She grinned.

"Time to play match-maker."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Mwahahahahahahahahahaha. ^_^ Here's where things get fun. I will be updating soon, minna, probably in a couple of days. I'm probably going to shoot for Wednesday evening, given my psycho work schedule.

(BTW, My author page is always updated daily with progress notes while I'm mid story. Check there to find out if I'm on schedule, ahead or behind. Things happen, this may help.)

Also, I'm aware that this chapter is shorter than the others. For that, I'm sorry. I just had a lot of trouble with it. It didn't want to come out. So this is it, next chapter will be better, longer, and if things go as planned, fluffier, than all the others. Look forward to it!

Oh, and PLEASE review. I really need the encouragement right now. Arigato!!

Sailor Red