Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ It Will Happen: Another Bulma & Vegeta Get Togethe ❯ Moving Forward ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

It Will Happen: Another Bulma & Vegeta Get Together
Chapter Seven
Moving Forward
"YOU'VE been unusually quite today."
Yamcha had sensed Bulma's tense aura the entire evening and he could not say that he was surprised or that he did not know what was to come.
Although for some reason, even though he knew it was for the best, he didn't want to let go.
She had been his first love, his first girlfriend, his first everything. Before he had met her he didn't even know how to talk to a girl, let alone be able to look at one without becoming paralyzed with fear.
But she had changed all that and now he had to let her go. He knew that their relationship had lost its magic for her, maybe they had met too young or maybe she had just outgrew her love for for him but it had happened. They were reaching a point in their lives when they had to go their separate ways.
Its funny, he had always been secure in the knowledge that they would eventually marry, have a bunch of kids and grow old together. But he was no fool! He had sensed the change in Bulma after he had been revived. Even their love making had lost its spark and had just became sex!
She had always been difficult, she was a strong woman and he respected that about her, but she also had the need to try and control everything and everyone around her. It annoyed him and he would argue with her spoiled tendencies. But even their arguments had fizzled to boring acceptance of "whatevers".
He knew that she needed someone who could match her fierce personality but who could still love her so deeply he would be able to seduce her into compromise. She needed someone as strong as her. And no matter how much it hurt and no matter how much he wanted to be that someone, he knew that it was impossible.
"I'm sorry." Bulma looked up from playing with the meal that she had barely eaten. "I just have a lot on my mind." She tried to smile apologetically at him but the strain she felt only made her lips twitch stiffly.
'No kidding.' Yamcha thought a little bitterly. He couldn't help it, he was offended that after a decade of being together that she thought so little of him. He was a grown man, he could take it. But he softened his voice regardless of the different emotions building up inside of him. "Anything you want to talk about?"
She knew she was being terrible company but normally when Yamcha and her had broken up it had always been done in the heat of the moment. Normally during a petty argument over nothing. But they both had always had the sense that they would find there way back to each other.
This time, there would be no looking back and that scared her a lot.
There is more to a relationship than love woman. Sometimes we stay because we don't have any other choice. I thought you had more spirit than that.
Vegeta's words sprang to mind and she felt courage to do what she needed to. But more importantly she did not feel any doubts that what she was doing was right.
Bulma, until another decade, would never know how right she had been. Because the only thing wrong at that very moment was her relationship with Yamcha. And destiny never failed!
Yamcha and her had had their time but somewhere along the way they had lost each other. Not intentionally, but growth and maturity can lead to the only constant, change. They had changed in their own ways and had moved on without realizing that they were drifting apart.
And Vegeta was right, she didn't have a choice because she had never given herself the want to choose differently. She stayed because of the security not because she would die if she left. Unlike Vegeta who had stayed with Frieza because he would have died if he left. It sound weird comparing her love relationship with that of Vegeta's hate one with Frieza but she could see the parallel lines between them both.
It was completely different but left them feeling the same way in the end. That was what he had been trying to tell her. Only Bulma could not imagine the simple feelings of realizing you don't love someone any longer, no matter how huge it seemed at that moment, than to the atrocities that Vegeta had suffered through from the time he was a boy.
The only thing that had continuously held her and Yamcha together, and most probably always would, was their history and their shared friends.
"Oh you know how it is with all this Android drama. I wish we could just have a little normalcy now and then." Bulma half lied.
"Yeah. Even the constant training is wearing me down. When I was doing it for fun and personal achievements it was my life, it felt like who I was. But now that I have to get stronger so I may not die in two years is becoming a real bother." Yamcha admitted.
Bulma had forgotten about that and she felt the sharp pangs of guilt piercing her heart. "Hey, don't worry about that. You are not going to die. Besides, that's why that kid came to our time, to warn us. We are going to change history remember. And we have our trump card. Goku will be alive." Bulma reached across the table and squeezed Yamcha's hand reassuringly.
He smile at her then. "You're right. I always felt a lot more braver with Goku around." Yamcha said truthfully.
"Yeah, I know what you mean. Speaking of Goku he came by today but I didn't get to spend much time with him. In between his lunch and sparing session with Vegeta he forgot about me."
"Yes that's our Goku alright. So determined to save the entire world that he unintentionally neglects those who matter most to him."
"Yeah. But he's always been that way hasn't he. Too pure hearted for his own good." Bulma said and the couple laughed at their oldest friend.
But when the laughter faded so did their comfort and the unspoken tension settled around them again.
"Do you want to go home?" Yamcha asked.
"No." It was now or never. "Let's go for a walk." She suggested and they left the restaurant to take a midnight stroll on the beach. Bulma had not realized how fast time had gone by and still she had not done what she needed to do.
Yamcha sat down on the soft sand his head bowed so low that his chin touched his chest. "Bulma, please say whatever it is that you want to. I can't take the tension anymore." His voice was a whisper and she felt worse than she had ever had before.
She bent down on her knees before him and took his hands in hers. The grains of sand poked into her soft skin but she ignored it. She did not want to hurt Yamcha and she hated to see him this way.
"Yamcha I've loved you for so long now and I know that I will always love you but I've realized that now that love is only friendly. And I know you feel it too." She said softly.
He looked up then and stared into her beautiful blue eyes. Eyes that would never look at him with a lovers touch anymore. He gave her a rueful smile. "Actually Bulma, I don't feel the same way. I still love you."
The words felt like a bucket of cold water on her bare body, she gasped for breath, and Bulma shot to her feet taking a step away from Yamcha. Her eyes were large with confusion and surprise.
Yamcha saw her reaction and knew he had to finish explaining. He too got to his feet but made no attempt to touch her or close the distance between them.
"But I know that its not working out. Relationships need two committed people to make it work, and even then its a struggle. I understand Bulma. I really do. There's more to a relationship that love and history and even friendship. I've known for a while now that I've had to let you go sooner o later. I guess I was just prolonging the moment because of my reluctance to do so."
"Yamcha, I'm ... I'm so ... so very sorry." Bulma choked out as tears fell down her cheeks.
In all the scenarios that had played out in her mind she had not seen it happening like this. Not only had he understood completely but he was really not angry with her. But she still felt a sense of guilt at her betrayal because in his dark eyes she still saw love for her.
"Hey." He said soothingly, finally moving closer to her, as he cupped her cheeks in his hands, wiping away her tears with his thumbs. "Its alright. Really, it is. But there's one thing I want you to promise me Bulma?"
Bulma bit her bottom lip to stop the sobs from escaping her throat at his gentle acceptance. She nodded slowly and was gifted with a small smile before his expression turned serious and he looked searchingly into her tear filled eyes.
"Promise me that if you ever need someone to talk to, to hang out with or even just to argue with that you will come to me. You know you can count on me right? That I'll always be there for you! Right?"
His tone was pleading and Bulma felt that part of her heart that will always love him swell with joy. It did not shatter and break into tiny little pieces or disappear because she did not have need for it anymore because she would always have him as her friend! And that love would always be there, but only as friends. That's what they were only ever meant to be.
She was the luckiest girl on the planet. But Bulma did not know that there would come a time when she would be happy that Yamcha had made her make that promise, because she would be fulfilling it!
She pulled him to her and gave him one last kiss. It was not a passionate kiss but she put all that she was unable to express at that monet into it. Her gratitude, her love for him and a slight part of her that wished things would have went how they had planned it too!
* * *
She pulled him into her then and gave him one last kiss. It was not a passionate kiss but she put all that she was unable to express at that monet into it. But suddenly it was not him that she was kissing, it was that weakling boyfriend of hers.
They were standing in the middle of a beach, holding onto each other as if they could not bear to be separated from one another. He felt the breath leave his body as his blood turned cold at the sight. She had dishonored her words, patronized his intelligence and insulted his pride. He would not let her get away with it.
Vegeta's eyes shot open and he stared at the ceiling. The tiny glass teardrops from the chandelier winked at him playfully as it moved with a soft chink from the light breeze that came through his open balcony door. The sight reminded him of the full moon from his dream.
His fists clenched and unclenched as he sat up slowly, his muscles still tired and aching from his sparing match with Kakarot. He slowly looked over at the digital time device that lay on his bedside table. He was not a man who cared about time but the digital clock had always been there since he had arrived at Capsule Corp.
It was 2am. He sensed for the woman's energy but was no where in the house. His fists clenched again. He knew that he had only been dreaming but what if the brain in his head was actually telling him something.
She never stayed out this late! He knew because when he came in from his training at 12 or 1am daily he could sense her energy in her room. Something he never realized he did before.
Feeling restless due to the nap he had Vegeta decided to go to the kitchen for a glass of water and then maybe go back into the Gravity Room. He threw on a pair of sweat pants and was walking through the hall when he felt Bulma's energy enter the house. Deciding to stand behind the potted plant, something that was becoming an embarrassing habit, he watched as she walked to her room.
Her hair was tousled her dress rumpled and she looked as if she were exhausted. She looked as bad as he had earlier except with out the bloody bruises.
Did she really severe all ties with that weakling and if she did would she look so broken all the time?
Because he could not imagine wanting someone who was thinking about another man when she was warming his bed.
But then a distant memory came to him. She pulled him into her then and gave him one last kiss. It was not a passionate kiss but she put all that she was unable to express at that monet into it. What if she had not ended it with her mate? What if she was so exhausted from a bout of sexual endeavors.
Somehow the latter of his thoughts made him want to kill someone. Mainly her or her lover!
Authors Note: Ok, so I know this was a bit of an uneventful chapter but I had to get the Bulma and Yamcha break up over and done with.
I don't think that Yamcha was a unfaithful, lecherous man who couldn't even keep his eyes to himself, sorry, just my opinion. Further more it has been shown how much he cares for Bulma even after Trunks' birth and right till the end of DBZ and they do share a lot of history. Also, he knew about Trunks and Vegeta when they had met to meet the Androids saying that Bulma must have told him.
I do believe they had an amicable break up and I also strongly believe that Yamcha never stopped loving Bulma!
Also, during a get together at Capsule Corp after the Buu Saga (Episode: He's Always Late - English Dub) Yamcha speaks about a photo that he and Master Roshi are looking at in an album. "Yeah, that was taken right before she dumped me.", was his exact words. So that's why I've decided to write this chapter the way I did.
Now I also did it because I'm not yet done with Yamcha ... So until the next time, happy reading.
Regards,
S ...